PDA

View Full Version : Sunfaded 85 S&S

OSUspenc99
03-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to see what everyone thought as to what I should do. I have an 85 S&S that I have owned for about 1 and a half years now. It is faded from the previous owner. I have tried everything on it to this day. Talked to a fiberglass guy today and he said that all the starbrite crap i have used on it is the problem.
Does anyone know what I should try next. The guy I talked to today said that he can make it look like new in about 6 hours of buffing. I want to try to buff myself but I am just worried about it. I have buffed by hand about 6 times with rubbing compound and everything.

I have also even thrown out the idea to take it somewhere and have it wet sanded. There is no way that I fell I can complete this myself plus i didnt know if it would mess up to decals on the boat.

Any help at this point would be great. I really dont want to pay this guy a bunch of money for something that I might be able to do.

I am up for anything now. PLEASE HELP before it cost me some mega bucks!

would post some pics but cannot figure it out.

bigmac
03-12-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey all,

Just wanted to see what everyone thought as to what I should do. I have an 85 S&S that I have owned for about 1 and a half years now. It is faded from the previous owner. I have tried everything on it to this day. Talked to a fiberglass guy today and he said that all the starbrite crap i have used on it is the problem.
Does anyone know what I should try next. The guy I talked to today said that he can make it look like new in about 6 hours of buffing. I want to try to buff myself but I am just worried about it. I have buffed by hand about 6 times with rubbing compound and everything.

I have also even thrown out the idea to take it somewhere and have it wet sanded. There is no way that I fell I can complete this myself plus i didnt know if it would mess up to decals on the boat.

Any help at this point would be great. I really dont want to pay this guy a bunch of money for something that I might be able to do.

I am up for anything now. PLEASE HELP before it cost me some mega bucks!

would post some pics but cannot figure it out.

There are many, many threads here on Team Talk that can be searched for here that detail the gel coat restoration process along with several elegant examples. Some search terms might be buffer, gel coat, restoration, oxidation.

A good place to start might be here (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12550&highlight=restoration). From a knowledge standpoint, Shepherd might be just the opposite of your fiberglass guy.

dichdoc
03-12-2007, 06:11 PM
I used the same kit as Shepard and had good results and stored inside it has held up really well for a year now. That being said and seeing that I removed all my decals I really wish I would have wet sanded the whole thing and then buffed. Wet sanding sounds far scarier than it actually was. I also think 6 hours to buff would be on the high side I'm pretty sure I could buff and wax in half that time. Figure out the picture thing and we'll judge your level of oxidation!

SDAhockey21
03-12-2007, 06:56 PM
maybe this is your answer??

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14834

OSUspenc99
03-12-2007, 09:51 PM
hey guys....going to get the boat this weekend so maybe i can get some good pics then.
Also i dont want to spend a lot of time if the sun fading is just going to come back.
Shep, does your boat still look good?
I have spent about 14 hours in one weekend using that starbrite stuff and really made me mad so i want to make sure I am getting something that is going to last once it is put in the water.