PDA

View Full Version : Long Lake, near Spokane

BearX1
03-12-2007, 12:22 AM
Hello there,

Would any of you folks know if there are problems with floating debris, at Long Lake, during this time of year? I'm looking forward to hitting the water soon, but, do not want to damage my boat.

Thanks for your help.

sand2snow22
03-12-2007, 12:47 AM
I haven't been there since college, I'm sure Pendo will know. He should chime in pretty soon......

SkySkiSpokane
03-12-2007, 01:39 AM
The lake level was raised just over a week ago and I know that there was some wood and stuff but just the normal water level changing stuff. I have a friend from work that has been out once already and said that there was some but not enough to keep'em out of the water. I hope to be out there with those guys next week.

PendO
03-12-2007, 01:43 AM
Bear - so, do you have a place on Long? I think my younger brother is going wakeboarding there on Wednesday ... as for floating debris, we usually use Long in the fall when our river/lake water has dropped too low - and at that time we have not had a problem with debris, I will assume that the water level on long gets dropped in the winter and brought back up in the spring ... with the winter storms that we get and the windstorms we had last December, there is bound to be some floating debris that gets kicked in off the shore as the level starts to go up ... what I would be more concerned with is sandbars and stumps ... there is a guy who owns a wakeboarding shop (Ricky) the name of the place is "The Shop" ... its on the E. 2900 block of Francis, I know he boards/has a place on Long so you might ask him ... I don't mind floating debris, but I would prefer to not run aground:)

BearX1
03-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Hey there,

Yah, I'm looking to head there later this week . . . mainly to give the boat a test run. A friend of mine expressed the concern of debris, but, did not know for sure. I'm not so much concerned with the small stuff, but rather, the big stuff. I have a place up at Deer Lake, however, will be going to Long Lake, until the ice melts. PendO, you are correct about the stumps, etc . . . The river is up now, but, I still need to navigate carefully, from the public launch. I have met Ricky, and heard his family has a place at Long Lake. Thanks.

PendO
03-12-2007, 04:41 PM
have you ever been to Newman Lake (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=newman+lake,+wa&layer=&ie=UTF8&om=1&z=12&ll=47.776483,-117.076836&spn=0.100825,0.344009&iwloc=addr)? That is where I go early in the season FWIW ... the public launch is fine, but there are no docks so your feet will get wet ... other than that it is a good early season lake, usually easy to find glass water

BearX1
03-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Never been to Newman, but, I've heard that it and Hauser are pretty good for early season riding. We may also check out Silver Lake, as well. I heard that the ice is nearly gone.

PendO
03-12-2007, 07:57 PM
Never been to Newman, but, I've heard that it and Hauser are pretty good for early season riding. We may also check out Silver Lake, as well. I heard that the ice is nearly gone.

Talked with my brother Mark ... I guess you are the one he is going boarding with (small world) ... if the water is all the way up, and has been for a week or so, you should be okay with floating debris, just use your depth guage and get familiar with the body of water ... I drove by Diamond today and it still has ice on it

BearX1
03-12-2007, 08:17 PM
PendO - That's funny, it is a small world.

PendO
03-14-2007, 08:49 PM
BUMP ... just got off the phone with my brother, they are waiting for the sheriff to arrive and pull them off/out of the sand bar ...

WAT8415
03-14-2007, 08:50 PM
Oh, Noooooooooooooooo

PendO
03-14-2007, 09:01 PM
seriously, if anyone lives out here we may be headed out with shovels ... you -know the area code, here are digits if you are available ****** ... they are in 8" of water and 50yards from an opening ...

Thanks for the call Wade, I guess they are going to try to retrive it tomorrow ... my dad is headed out to pick them up ... might take a truck with 1500' of cable to tow them out as it sounds like they are in the muck pretty deep, having hit it at 30mph .... sorry Ryan:(

SkySkiSpokane
03-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Oh $hit!!!!! I am in Utah or I would help you guys out. Keep us posted!!:(

PendO
03-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Oh $hit!!!!! I am in Utah or I would help you guys out. Keep us posted!!:(

Dave, the boat may still be there when you get back ... my brother has a friend who may be able to take a bass boat out there any try and tug on it ...

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Look out the front and if you see something turn the wheel righ or left...

dapicatti
03-15-2007, 12:32 AM
Oh no!! Keep us posted.

mhsb1029
03-15-2007, 12:35 AM
A few quick pics, hopefully tomorrow will go better. The boat is in about 8 inches of water. Thinking about 3:30 tomorrow afternoon for the removal(fingers are crossed). If anyone is available please let me know. Call me on my cell tomorrow at 509-991-7539 if you think that you might be able to help out. We should have a guy out there with a boat, and right now I think that we have about 6 guys lined up to come out. I think that we may need about 12 or so.

PendO
03-15-2007, 12:38 AM
WOW man, you are a helluva long way from shore.

PendO
03-15-2007, 12:39 AM

PendO
03-15-2007, 12:40 AM
ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

WAT8415
03-15-2007, 01:42 AM
Ryan, I feel for you bud sorry I couldn't have been more help tonight, but atleast I brought some beer. I should be there around 4:30.

mpm32
03-15-2007, 11:27 AM
Get a bunch of large inner tubes. Tie two of them together with a short length of rope in beween them. This rope will go under the v of the boat. Work them under the boat, then inflate. A few sets of these double inner tubes should help lift the boat up off the bar enough to pull it off. I read about this some where. Since it's in 8" of water I'd give it a shot.

Peachman
03-15-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow, tough deal, how did they get back to shore?

JT

PendO
03-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Wow, tough deal, how did they get back to shore?

JT

It is still sitting on the sand bar as of 9:00 pst

PendO
03-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Get a bunch of large inner tubes. Tie two of them together with a short length of rope in beween them. This rope will go under the v of the boat. Work them under the boat, then inflate. A few sets of these double inner tubes should help lift the boat up off the bar enough to pull it off. I read about this some where. Since it's in 8" of water I'd give it a shot.

It is not high centered on the bar ... the bar is (according to my brother) at least a 1000' feet long and it is 50 yards if they pull it to the right (perpendicular) ... they are near the middle of it lenghtwise, so it cannot be pulled forward or back

and you see the arrow on the one picture, that is the only place you can get to with a vehicle, and it is appx 3/4 of a mile away from the boat

Peachman
03-15-2007, 12:23 PM
I should have clarified that better. I meant last night, did another boat come and pick them up?

BTW, I saw your post about Diamond Lake still being froze over. Unfortunatley I was still able to take the dog for a walk last night out on the ice... Ugggg... Bear lake opened a couple days ago, and Diamond is generally about 2 weeks after. I can't wait!

Thanks,
JT

PendO
03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
yeah, they came out with an inflatable boat and brought them back to shore, I guess the inflatable actually got stuck on the sandbar so they had to drop a few people off and then go out and retrieve them ...

WAT8415
03-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Hey Bear and Pendo are we still on for this after noon? Was just thinking I have my Cataraft in storage I could get it out to help move ppl and items.

mhsb1029
03-15-2007, 07:11 PM
boat is stuck until they raise the water up

mhsb1029
03-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I'm posting on my brother acct ... anyway, my dad and I (PendO) met up with Ryan today, and a couple of my brothers friends Wes and Brandon ... we drank some beer(s) ... but the water dropped 6-8" overnight, so it is effffed until they raise it back up ... Ryan was very calm ... it is now anchored off and waiting for some water

Ryan
03-15-2007, 07:32 PM
If the water comes up just a few inches can you strap a couple of tubes under the boat then inflate them? If you tie them under the running surface well enough you could more easily push the 50 yards [thinking you can push a rope with a stick/pvc/shovel handle between the strut and drive shaft].

PendO
03-15-2007, 09:44 PM
dddddddddddddddddddddddddd

mhsb1029
03-15-2007, 10:39 PM
It sure was nice to have all of the support out there with Ryan's boat. I did not get a chance to get out there today, but I was kept updated by my dad, brother, and my buddy Wes. I can't wait to get a chance to get out and ride behind Ryan's boat; hopefully the water comes up sonner rather than later.

Ryan, make sure that you give me a call when you need help. I sure learned a lot by just watching how calm you were and how you were able to just focus on finding a solution rather than than focusing on the negetives. Keep me posted.

BearX1
03-16-2007, 01:25 PM
Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the words. . . and I can't give enough thanks to those who donated their time to my crazy blunder. It's hard to be too bitter about this, while there has been such a great out-pouring of kindness to help get the boat free. As we speak, the water level should be rising. My goal is to rally folks tomorrow, (Saturday), and hopefully, pull the boat free. I will be heading to the lake, this afternoon, to check on it and see where the water level is. I've been very lucky that a homeowner, Eric, has let me keep all of the boat retrievables at his place. Again, thanks to all of you who have been so helpful, I'm looking forward to the times when I can start repaying the kindness.

Mark, I will keep in touch with you, pendO, and your dad . . . maybe we can get Wes back out there as well. Thanks again, buddy.

P.S. My X-1 has now been christened. . . "The White Whale." :)

Cheers.

lawless1
03-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Just a thought - if it takes a few days for the water level to rise, you may want to drain the water from the motor or put some antifreeze in.

Hate to see you have motor issues in addition to the existing problems.

Leroy
03-17-2007, 12:03 AM
Also, sad to see and wish you the best, hope the drive train is ok.

dapicatti
03-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I hope this all works out for you...We are all thinking of youl

PendO
03-17-2007, 12:23 AM
a bit of an update ... according to ryan, Avista (who controls the dam) may be raising the water level on Monday, we had previously hoped that it would be on Saturday ... the good news is that when the lake is at full pool it will be 24" higher, right now you can set a beer can next to the boat and still have 1/2 of the can out of water ... it is likely that there has been little to no damage done since the sand bar is more like a mud bar ... the problem of the mud is that it is very sticky, so there is a lot of surface tension between the hull and the bottom ... I think he is trying to dig underneath the boat so that he can pull the prop before the water goes up, that way when we do try and pull it out the prop will not act like an anchor ...

dapicatti
03-17-2007, 12:40 AM
Let's hope for little to no damage and lesson learned. Keep us posted....

erkoehler
03-17-2007, 12:42 AM
WOW, I had been avoiding this thread because Long Lake is nowhere near Chicago.

Tonight, being extremely bored, I started reading and HOLY CRAP what did you guys do!:o

If there is anything you need after you get the boat off "the bar" I'd be more than willing to help out. Just give me a call, and I can have parts, customer stickers, etc out to you ASAP!

Eric
630-533-2760

RickDV
03-17-2007, 11:19 AM
WOW, I had been avoiding this thread because Long Lake is nowhere near Chicago.

Tonight, being extremely bored, I started reading and HOLY CRAP what did you guys do!:o

If there is anything you need after you get the boat off "the bar" I'd be more than willing to help out. Just give me a call, and I can have parts, customer stickers, etc out to you ASAP!

Eric
630-533-2760

Erk - They may have soiled their shorts and need some new ones from Chicago MC! :D

Seriously, my heart goes out to the guys. I have landed on a sandbar before. At first you are concerned that no one has gotten hurt and then you quickly have a pit in your stomach until you know if there has been much damage. Dragging that uncertainty over the course of several days is not fun. Hang in there guys!

PendO
03-17-2007, 11:37 AM
http://www.avistacorp.com/news/default.asp?prid=1152

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, January 25, 2007

Avista Begins Annual Lake Spokane Drawdown

Water level to drop five to six inches per day

Spokane, Wash.: Avista Utilities has begun drawing down the water level at Lake Spokane (Long Lake Reservoir). It is expected that the reservoir will be lowered eight to ten feet below its maximum summer elevation of 1,536 feet by mid February. The lake level is expected to drop five to six inches per day. If the weather remains cool and dry, the elevation will continue to be drawn down to a maximum of 13 to 14 feet below its maximum level.

Under the right weather conditions the drawdown is expected to help with control of Eurasian milfoil, an invasive weed found in many area waterways. The drawdown also allows for repair and construction by property owners along the lake shoreline.

Property owners and lake-users are reminded to make any necessary preparations, including removing boats from the water and securing docks and boathouses for low-water conditions.

Water levels are subject to change due to a variety of factors, such as weather or equipment problems at the Long Lake dam. Lake users should always be alert to signs of such changes and exercise the highest level of personal caution and safety when using the waterways.

Updated reservoir level information is available by calling Avista's recorded Lake Information Line at (509) 495-8043.

Avista Corp. is an energy company involved in the production, transmission and distribution of energy as well as other energy-related businesses. Avista Utilities is a company operating division that provides service to 346,000 electric and 305,000 natural gas customers in three western states. Avista’s non-regulated subsidiaries include Advantage IQ (www.avistaadvantage.com) and Avista Energy (www.avistaenergy.com). Avista Corp.’s stock is traded under the ticker symbol “AVA.” For more information about Avista, please visit www.avistacorp.com.

Avista Corp. and the Avista Corp. logo are trademarks of Avista Corporation.

WAT8415
03-19-2007, 01:42 AM
How is it going Ryan? I was out at my property today to drop off the 4-Wheeler and went down to the beach. The water level is dropping pretty fast on Roosevelt. Keep me posted and let me know if there is anything I can do to help out.

BearX1
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Hello Everyone, we excavated around the prop and got it removed . . . not a lick of damage to it, just shiny. I'm feeling pretty positive that there is no major damage to the drive train or hull. We are in a holding pattern, until the water level comes back up. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words. Man, Saturday was beautiful, and the water was butter . . . it figures. Hey Wade, thanks for the offer, my good man . . . I'll keep you posted. PendO, we'll have to get together, so I can get your prop puller back to you . . . it worked very well.

Cheers.