PDA

View Full Version : The Trailer Refurb has Begun!

dichdoc
03-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Began the 1984 MC trailer refurb on Friday 3-9-07. Started with $50 worth of 3" channel for the rear boat support. Bolted on 2x8's with carpet and raised the front with the gantry crane which was built with this purpose in mind. Pulled the trailer out and snapped a quick pick of a levetating boat and with my heart pounding slid large blocks of wood under the front (the top one is notched to match the hull and covered in carpet). Stripped her bare and measured for new fenders (to be made out of diamond plate steel and powder coated to match. Going to make a prop guard, ordered new rims, made new bunks, ordering new leaf springs, etc, etc. Will post pics as we go.

Anyone know how to get the vertical pipes off? I pulled the four set screws soaked in WD-40 and even tried heating with a rosebud and still didn't budge with a pipe wrench any ideas?

Farmer Ted
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
sharp looking boat!

dichdoc
03-11-2007, 02:25 PM
You might remeber it from last year's 1984 S&S refurbish thread? Probably should have done the trailer refurb first! Made me very nervous seeing the redone boat floating 2 feet above concrete! TB

Jerseydave
03-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Nice........can't wait to see the after pics of the trailer.

JEREMY79
03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
I ended up cutting the vertical pipes off my trailer because I couldnt get them out. They rust together and might as well be welded. When I put them back, I used a smaller pipe so they didnt rust up as bad

shepherd
03-11-2007, 05:43 PM
Have fun with the project dichdoc. My boat has been sitting on blocks for a couple months now. I'm putting the finishing touches on my trailer refurb right now. I know what you mean about heart pounding. It was pretty tense taking her off the trailer.

I couldn't get my vertical poles off either. I just left them on and put some Mastercraft guide pole covers over them.

dichdoc
03-11-2007, 06:11 PM
I will leave the poles on then! Just thought it would be easier for the powder coater. I still have the PVC outer pipes painted with Krylon fusion paint and will replace the MC foam pads. TB

bbeach
03-12-2007, 07:45 PM
I couldn't get my poles off either... I think they are welded in, or they just rust into place because I removed the 2 bolts on each side and they wouldn't budge... leave em on! Won't hurt nothing!

dwvktm450
03-14-2007, 10:29 PM
The posts are tough. I used torches and two guys with pipe wrenches. It was a three man job, but they finally came out.

Slinkyredfoot
03-14-2007, 10:46 PM
Regarding the post, on my trailer there are two 7/16" jamb bolts with 9/16 jamb nuts holding the posts tight. Back off the nut, then the bolt, mine came right out, dunno what is holding yours in...good luck...

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 10:49 PM
I will leave the poles on then! Just thought it would be easier for the powder coater. I still have the PVC outer pipes painted with Krylon fusion paint and will replace the MC foam pads. TB

I'll donate a set of these if you'd like....they say Chicago MasterCraft though :)

Slinkyredfoot
03-14-2007, 10:49 PM
from the looks of the pics, to me it looks like the posts are held in by massive rust

Willski
03-14-2007, 11:25 PM
I am very interested in this. My trailer actually looks pretty good, but the axle tube is rusted because of rock chips. I'll post some pics here when I get the boat out of storage. Have you found springs yet? I was considering replacing mine with some that were a little higher to avoid the need for a prop guard.

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 11:29 PM
I am very interested in this. My trailer actually looks pretty good, but the axle tube is rusted because of rock chips. I'll post some pics here when I get the boat out of storage. Have you found springs yet? I was considering replacing mine with some that were a little higher to avoid the need for a prop guard.

Oh man, get a prop gaurd! Your tempting fate without one! A good prop gaurd can hold the weight of the boat....your porp/shaft/strut won't last long if you need one and don't have one :(

dichdoc
03-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Erkoehler, if your willing to donate some pads, I'd be honored to install them! I can tell people your the closest quality dealer to me! PM me. I have given up on the pipes. I've cut out the new fenders (1/8" diamond plate steel) and they're being bent as we speak. I am currentlly making the prop guard I wasn't going to do one but I'm with Erik and the night sweats and worry aren't worth it. I'm using 2" channel for it and it is kicking my butt! I have new found respect for people who can bend things and get them to fit I am a better welder than bender. I haven't worked on springs yet but had a heck of a time finding studs (1/2" fine thread on both sides) for the wheels had to order them will post pics soon. TB

Willski
03-15-2007, 06:04 PM

Oh man, get a prop gaurd! Your tempting fate without one! A good prop gaurd can hold the weight of the boat....your porp/shaft/strut won't last long if you need one and don't have one :(

I've had the boat for 8 years and haven't had a problem. It's an 84 so it has been around for a long time with no issues, but I would feel better if I had one.

dichdoc
03-17-2007, 01:36 PM
Thought I should update with some pics. Finished the prop guard Thursday. Was more challenging then it should have been but lots of compound angles slowed me down. I made my roller out of some 1 3/8" round stock. TB

dichdoc
03-17-2007, 01:44 PM
Since Shepard has out done me on everything (boat restoration thread, fancier rims, etc.) the list goes on and on I needed one thing completely different then him, and although it has nearly bankrupt my family I feel they have turned out very nice.

I started with 2 4'x8' sheets of 1/8" diamond plate steel. $164.00 ea
Cut out the pattern with the plasma cutter.
Took the blanks to a larger machine shop to have them bent.
Got the bill and bent over myself and took it in the shorts for $250.00.
Rolled the fenders on my ring roller.
cut and welded the inner fender.
welded the seams and cut in light holes.

All told if I were to sell these they would be around $1000.00 a pair with no powder coat or shipping.

At least I have one thing that Shepard doesn't have. TB

ilikeitglacy
03-17-2007, 02:23 PM
keep on posting, your doing a nice job, and i like the checkered plate fenders;)

H20skeefreek
03-17-2007, 07:31 PM
Looks good! what are you doing with the edge over the wheel.

shepherd
03-17-2007, 07:38 PM
At least I have one thing that Shepard doesn't have. TB

Yeah, an awesome workshop! If I had your tools and equipment... :rolleyes:

Great job on the fenders dich! I can't wait to see how they look after you powdercoat them. Thanks for the pics. I only need to wire up my lights, put the trailer back under the boat, and add a few decals and my boat/trailer project is done. It's been a fun job but I'm ready to be done with it.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Willski
04-10-2007, 12:05 AM
Keep us posted on these projects (with pictures), if you would. Inspiration just may turn into ambition on my part!

dichdoc
04-10-2007, 03:45 PM
Not trying to leave everyone hanging. Trailer is (and has been) at the powder coater, should be done in the next few days. Wife picked a Metalic blue hammered color. Matched pretty close to the blue stripe on the boat. On a some what funny note I bought new leaf springs for the trailer and found out the old ones had sagged nearly 2-3 inches. I guess I'll let the air out of the tires to slide it back under the boat. I'll keep pics coming. TB

bbeach
04-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Good thing you are replacing the springs... You DON'T want to be moving when those things go! My passenger side broke last year, luckily I was doing about 20mph otherwise I would have been in trouble! That is what spawned my trailer refurb!

Looks good keep it up!

cbryan70
04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
A agree erk i just redid my 78 trailer and as of now have no pads on the guide ons. Donations would be greatly appreiciated. and free advertising! :-)

dichdoc
04-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Finally got the trailer back from powder coat on Thursday took longer than usual (almost five weeks) but I wasn't in a big hurry and got a good job for a great price. Paid $350 for fenders and all that includes sand blasting and a two coat finish (Black Vein with a Candy Blue top coat). It changes color in the sun. I'm ball parking I've got around 1,300 into the whole deal. If all goes well slipping her back under the boat I will have some fiberglass fenders for sale, I'll post some pics in the sale area. TB

TMCNo1
04-23-2007, 06:46 PM
Looks great!

PE4ME
04-24-2007, 05:14 AM
better than new.

Tom Wortham
06-01-2007, 08:31 PM
Finally got the trailer back from powder coat on Thursday took longer than usual (almost five weeks) but I wasn't in a big hurry and got a good job for a great price. Paid $350 for fenders and all that includes sand blasting and a two coat finish (Black Vein with a Candy Blue top coat). It changes color in the sun. I'm ball parking I've got around 1,300 into the whole deal. If all goes well slipping her back under the boat I will have some fiberglass fenders for sale, I'll post some pics in the sale area. TB

VERY nice. Question when you put new carpet on the bunks. I could only find 6 foot width carpet at Lowes. Did you run one piece all the way down... or did/would you get the 6 foot carpet and section it? Thanks. Tom

H20skeefreek
06-01-2007, 11:50 PM
West Marine has it to cover 8 ft or 12 ft bunks, and it's on sale right now.

Tom Wortham
06-02-2007, 10:55 AM
West Marine has it to cover 8 ft or 12 ft bunks, and it's on sale right now.

Thanks! I'll give them a call.

atlfootr
07-22-2008, 01:51 PM
Nice trailer reburb, now let's see the "complete package" 8p