PDA

View Full Version : Tranmission / shaft noise

richies
03-11-2007, 03:48 AM
Im hoping someone can give me some advice on some noise coming from my transmission / drive shaft.

Our 84 S&S has been sitting for a month or so. Yesterday I decided to start it - I got the water running and got it going no problem. When I gave it some throttle there was a rumbling noise from the transmission or prop shaft, and the prop turned a bit. When I idled it in gear I also got an uncomfortable rumble/grumble.

I checked the transmission fluid and it was full, red and clear - only issue is that the boat might not have been level. Its summer here - not a winterisation issue.

What could be up? Any comments welcome.

ski_king
03-11-2007, 07:57 AM
Not sure what you problem is for sure, but I assume the bushings were dry and grinding, the water lubricates them.

As far as your prop shaft rotating when in neutral and with dry bushings, there may be a problem there. Hopefully JimN or somebody else will comment on that.

amber 6
03-11-2007, 11:21 AM
same thing happened with me make sure the prop shaft and strut have water on them and noise should go away

duvall
03-11-2007, 11:41 AM
may be your flex plate bad

erkoehler
03-11-2007, 12:40 PM
There is no problem, once you put the boat in the water, it will go away. You need the water a lubrication.... :)

richies
03-12-2007, 02:59 AM
I got the boat in the water today and it went fine - no noise at all. Thanks to all for the advice.

R

André
03-12-2007, 07:03 AM
I got the boat in the water today and it went fine - no noise at all. Thanks to all for the advice.

R
That must be a relief...:)