PDA

View Full Version : Dash Speaker Source?

VTJC
08-03-2004, 05:11 PM
Hi All,

I have a new to me 99 MC Sportstar Closed Bow, essentially a 95-97 Prostar. I am looking to do a moderate stereo upgrade, quality head unit, amp and speakers(already have powered sub). I want the driver and observer to be able to hear, when skiing. I am thinking dash speakers would make sense instead of just blaring(7am skiing) out of the poorly placed(behind drivers seat) front speakers. However, I cannot find any marine ones from Clarion, Bose, Sony, Pioneer. Your thoughts on this idea and source are appreciated.

Thanks, Jamie

VTJC
08-05-2004, 03:21 PM
Anybody? Thanks, Jamie

bcampbe7
08-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Have you tried Crutchfield?

OhioProstar
08-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Blaupunkt has a transparent line that is waterproof. I think you can get 4" mids that might fit your need of a space constrained dash mount. Personally I have a set of JBL 620s mounted in behind the driver and next to the spotter attached to a JBL 80x4 Amp which are crossed over to keep the bass out and a 12" free air Kicker mounted right above the foot rest in the drivers tub...it is power by a 150watt mono JBL and the setup is great. I can blow away any other boat around me.

DanC
08-05-2004, 03:56 PM
Be prepared to remove the windshield to install the dashboard speakers and if you ever need to replace them.

Four Clarion 130 w speakers in boat powerd by an Eclipse 4x85 watts rms amp
Two Boss B-69 tower speakers, 6x9, 130 w powered by a Rockford Fosgate 2x125 watts rms amp
Infinity Basslink subwoofer 200 watts rms

And I am just a little pup in our dog pound :headbang: .

OhioProstar
08-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Go point on the windscreen. Plus punching a hole in the dash would be more problematic than using a 5" hole saw to put in four 6.5s in the gunnel.

mx21
08-07-2004, 01:12 PM
With the speakers under the windshield (which you have to remove to install) I wouldn't worry too much about putting marine speakers in there. I've bben caught in a couple of thunderstrorms and showers and those are the only part of my stereo that stayed dry. I put 6.5s - but it depends on how much space you have.
I used a Dremel tool with a router bit (actually a new one for each hole) for the cutout.