PDA

View Full Version : cell phone mishap

cbryan70
03-11-2007, 04:13 AM
Dropped my cellphone in a hot tub tonight. got it out in under 30 secs but it had already shut off...im assuming it is fried. if it turns off from being wet wouldnt that mean somthing fried in it?

ski_king
03-11-2007, 08:52 AM
I have been told to take the battery out, turn it key side down and let it set a few days.
I know of somebody who put theirs thru the washing machine and it woked still worked after drying out.
Give it a try, although, I think the odds are against you.

JimN
03-11-2007, 10:38 AM
If you can see the tiny screws that hold it together and you can take the case apart, it'll dry out a lot faster but I have heard of phones being dropped in water and surviving. It's not likely that it will work, though. Once it starts to corrode, it's toast. The fact that it was in there for 30 seconds means nothing, it's just as wet as if it had been in there for a week.

Do what ski_king said- what have you got to lose?

H20skeefreek
03-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I dropped mine to the bottom of the lake, got it out imediately, took it apart as much as I could and let it dry. after a few days everything worked, except for one button that wasn't used that much anyway. I think it had some sand behind it.

Jerseydave
03-11-2007, 10:58 AM
My wife dropped hers in the washer, let it dry for 5 days and it worked.

erkoehler
03-11-2007, 11:03 AM
If you already tried to power it up after dropping it in the water, it is too late.....go buy a new one :)

Ric
03-11-2007, 11:50 AM
"we" and that is all I will tell you.... have dropped a few in water

they do dry out
don't try to use it for a few days though

pull the battery and let the open phone lie in the windshield area of your truck for a few days to bake

last one I had when this happened DID power back up AFTER I had went and bought a razr but the lazy kids at the verizon store would not download my files from it to my new phone... I am convinced they would go in the back and have a donut and walk back out to tell me "nope, it's not gonna download"

Leroy
03-11-2007, 11:51 AM
If your oven can go to ~120 or 130 degrees put it in there and let it sit for a day. I would say >90% chance it will work again just fine.

suedv
03-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Rick had his fall out of his pocket and into a bucket of pink anti-freeze once. It took about a week to dry out but then worked fine. By the way, he tried to turn it on before it was all the way dry and it still eventually worked. Don't give up on it yet.

André
03-11-2007, 01:51 PM
If your oven can go to ~120 or 130 degrees put it in there and let it sit for a day. I would say >90% chance it will work again just fine.
Would 30 seconds in the micro wave do the trick too?:D
3 pagers in the lake for me.

suedv
03-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Whatever you do, don't try the microwave. One of my friends said his daughter put one in the microwave to dry (she was in middle school so no need to ask why). :rolleyes: It put on a nice spark display and then it was done... gone for good!

RickDV
03-11-2007, 01:54 PM
Would 30 seconds in the micro wave do the trick too?:D
3 pagers in the lake for me.

Definitely not the micro! I would not even recommend the oven because it can melt the plastic case even on the lowest setting. Have patience, give it 5-7 days of drying time. You rush it and you may ruin it.

On the other hand, if you were looking for an excuse to get a new phone this is your chance. ;)

André
03-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Definitely not the micro! I would not even recommend the oven because it can melt the plastic case even on the lowest setting. Have patience, give it 5-7 days of drying time. You rush it and you may ruin it.

On the other hand, if you were looking for an excuse to get a new phone this is your chance. ;)
You guys share computer or you got two?

RickDV
03-11-2007, 02:01 PM
You guys share computer or you got two?

Actually, we have 5 computers. I'm in the dining room, Sue is in the kitchen. (I'm supposed to be working on taxes, but TT is more interesting!)

dapicatti
03-11-2007, 06:31 PM
nothing like family togetherness........

cbryan70
03-11-2007, 07:43 PM
yeah i tried turning my phone on thismorning it came on the hello moto screen then stopped so i whipped the battery out of the thing right away. hopfully didnt short it. will try again when i get off work. maybe go to the neighbors and borrow the hair dryer

JohnnyB
03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
I've heard of folks having success drying them out by putting the phone in a sealed bag with a cup or two of uncooked instant rice.

Last fall my buddy dropped his in the marsh while we were duck hunting. He laid it on the counter with a hair dryer blasting in the microphone opening for a 1/2 hour, then the ear speaker for a 1/2 hour and then the battery compartment for a 1/2 hour. It worked after that.

I'd try the rice and let it sit in there for a few days.

Leroy
03-11-2007, 09:51 PM
Storage temperature is at least:

Storage Temperature:, -40° F to 140° F/-40° C to 60° C

For most electronic devices. Have to be able to sit in the trailer in El Paso during the hottest day of the summer! :) An oven within that range will speed it up significantly. I think it is ~ every 10 degrees the evaporation rate doubles. We routinely run devices at this temperature in the lab.

You certainly would not want 350F!!

Hoosier Bob
03-12-2007, 12:08 AM
I did the same thing to mine and went to the cellular store. The guy took mine in back and flushed some sollution through it and said it would be ready in a half hour. I do not know what that crap was but it not only knocks out the H2O it stops any corrosion that could result. Phone worked perfect but a year or so later it was replaced anyway. Same process fixed a beeper I had as well.;)

cbryan70
03-12-2007, 12:29 AM
well good news the phone is turning on i dunno if the battery is holding a charge but as long as its on the charger it is tunring on... thats all i care about i just didnt want to lose my numbers that would be a huge pain in my rear. needed a new phone anyways service plan up ina few months and my antenna is broken off the phone. anyone have verizon that could recomend a good phone for me?

Leroy
03-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I wonder if this is a isopropyl alcohol solution soak???? I think that is the same thing they do with swimmer ears!

I did the same thing to mine and went to the cellular store. The guy took mine in back and flushed some solution through it and said it would be ready in a half hour. I do not know what that crap was but it not only knocks out the H2O it stops any corrosion that could result. Phone worked perfect but a year or so later it was replaced anyway. Same process fixed a beeper I had as well.;)

erkoehler
03-12-2007, 12:42 AM
well good news the phone is turning on i dunno if the battery is holding a charge but as long as its on the charger it is tunring on... thats all i care about i just didnt want to lose my numbers that would be a huge pain in my rear. needed a new phone anyways service plan up ina few months and my antenna is broken off the phone. anyone have verizon that could recomend a good phone for me?

My brother is a manager at the Bloomingdale, IL Verizon store. He is on vacation until Saturday, but if you can hold out until next week I'm sure he'll hook you up.

PM me if you want his name/number for next week. I'd assume he could ship it out a week from Monday.

cbryan70
03-12-2007, 12:50 AM
pm at ya............

jimmer2880
03-12-2007, 06:49 AM
Not the same, but.... last year, we discovered that our Digital still camera wasn't water-proof (by accident). After 3 weeks, it was still dead. Bought another. Then, about 3 months later, I was cleaning out the "junk drawer" & thought I'd try it 1 more time before tossing it. IT WORKED! I couldn't believe it.

cbryan70
03-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Good news the cell phone came back to life. battery is starting to hold a charge again, now to only figure out the best way to glue an antenna back on it? ANy ideas on what would be the strongest hold?

Toober Tom
03-12-2007, 01:29 PM
....... now to only figure out the best way to glue an antenna back on it? ANy ideas on what would be the strongest hold?
Duck Tape will fix anything!

cbryan70
03-12-2007, 01:44 PM
HAHAHHAH sadly....that is what i was using before it went into the hottube