PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bearings

Buy_Low
03-10-2007, 04:27 AM
Last fall when I was trailering my boat to a relatives house for storage (about an 80 mile trip) the bearing blew out on one of my tires. Luckily I happen to be going slow and was looking in the rear view mirror as it happened. Called a tow truck and loaded the trailer and boat on the role back and made the 4 mile trip (just my luck) to my relatives home.

I removed the bearing from the bad wheel but it was too tore up to see any sort of number so I don't know the size. I'm looking to head back to the boat next weekend and change out both bearings and the buddy bearings. Would anyone know what type/size of bearings I would need for a 1987 single axel prostar 190 trailer?

Thanks in advance for your help...

ilikeitglacy
03-10-2007, 08:14 AM
i would take the good bearing off and match it... twice. but never done it;)

Buy_Low
03-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to avoid the 150 mile round trip just to pull the other bearing off. Wish I would of done it when I dropped it off.

ilikeitglacy
03-10-2007, 08:34 AM
why the 150 mile ride?? isn't there a part supplier (NAPA) near the storage location?all you need is a jack,tools and grease and the new bearingS

Buy_Low
03-10-2007, 08:44 AM
Ahh, good point. I was thinking it was something I would have to buy online. Thanks!

Kevin 89MC
03-12-2007, 07:18 PM
When I toasted a bearing on mine awhile back, I brought the other (good side) one to my local NAPA, they had one in stock, they made it sound like it was a fairly common bearing. Good luck.

bbeach
03-12-2007, 07:41 PM
I have my old bearing that I pulled out at home in the garage that I kept after changing to new ones. I'll get the numbers when I get home and post them... Of course it will be for a 90 trailer, but surely they are the same? maybe...

Buy_Low
03-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Thank bbeach, that would be a big help. I went to West Marine this weekend and bought all three different sizes they carry. If those don't work there is a NAPA about 20 minutes from where the boat is at. Thanks for your help. I'll send an update once I get her back here safely.

Mike

trickskier
03-13-2007, 10:08 AM
If it's a MasterCraft Trailer you should be able to call your local dealer and get the correct bearings for your trailer. You will need to replace the races as well.

captain planet
03-13-2007, 11:46 AM
Don't forget about the grease seals as well. Your dealer should be able to get you the correct ones. Going to a local parts store for me has yielded a 50/50 result to be able to match grease seals. One time they matched them, this time they didn't.

Good luck.

bbeach
03-13-2007, 01:52 PM
oops sorry forgot last night when I got home! I think I'm skiing tonight but I'll try and remember... PM me!