PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold for 351W

tph
01-15-2005, 07:12 PM
I've been considering upgrading to an Edelbrock performance Manifold for my Pleasurecraft 351W in an '83 S&S. Anyone aware of any issues?

BriEOD
01-16-2005, 08:47 AM
I have an Edelbrock on my 87'. I have not had any performance problems with it.

EricB
01-16-2005, 12:17 PM
TPH:
I have an 83 and am thinking about a mainfold upgrade. Which manifold are you thinking about? I hear that under-hood clearance may be an issue so make sure there is room before you swap.

tph
01-16-2005, 01:23 PM
TPH:
I have an 83 and am thinking about a mainfold upgrade. Which manifold are you thinking about? I hear that under-hood clearance may be an issue so make sure there is room before you swap.

An Edelbrock 2181 (see attachment). I'm concerned about clearance as well. I think there are low profile spark arrestors that can help. But that would up the cost of the upgrade. I'm also wondering if the Holley will bolt up OK. I'm not really interested in buying a new carb too. Maybe someone who has done the swap will reply to this thread.

P.S. I grew up in St Paul. Land of 10,000 lakes if I recall. Where do you ski?

Storm861triple
01-16-2005, 03:26 PM
Get a piece of clay or Play-Doh, and plop a ball of it on top of your flame arresor. Close the engine cover. Open engine cover. See how much clearance you have.

The Holley will fit on the Edelbrock manifold w/o a problem.

-Tom

H20skeefreek
01-16-2005, 05:07 PM
An Edelbrock 2181 (see attachment). I'm concerned about clearance as well. I think there are low profile spark arrestors that can help. But that would up the cost of the upgrade. I'm also wondering if the Holley will bolt up OK. I'm not really interested in buying a new carb too. Maybe someone who has done the swap will reply to this thread.

P.S. I grew up in St Paul. Land of 10,000 lakes if I recall. Where do you ski?

that's a beautiful piece of equipment, with I could afford the upgrade right now.

tph
01-16-2005, 08:42 PM
Get a piece of clay or Play-Doh, and plop a ball of it on top of your flame arresor. Close the engine cover. Open engine cover. See how much clearance you have.

The Holley will fit on the Edelbrock manifold w/o a problem.

-Tom

Great idea! Thanks Tom.

tph
01-16-2005, 08:49 PM

BriEOD:

Did you install your manifold? If so, How did it go? I'm thinking about things like: Height (Hitting engine cover)
Throttle cable bracket mount
Coil mount
Carb adjustment
Fuel line connection

bradamerry
01-16-2005, 08:55 PM

Is this something I should look into??

BriEOD
01-16-2005, 10:06 PM
No, I didn't do the install. It was on the motor when I bought the boat. I had a new long block put in it and stuck with the intake. Sorry, I don't have any more specifics.

east tx skier
01-17-2005, 11:43 AM
I just put one on my boat, but didn't do the install. I've heard from at least one person that the older motorboxes (through '90) have enough clearance, but I can say from personal experience that the 91-94 boxes do not. Went with the smaller spark arrestor for about $68. Had some slack in my throttle cable after the install that hat to be repaired before I could test. Waiting for it to warm up so I can run it.

tph
01-17-2005, 02:37 PM
I just put one on my boat, but didn't do the install. I've heard from at least one person that the older motorboxes (through '90) have enough clearance, but I can say from personal experience that the 91-94 boxes do not. Went with the smaller spark arrestor for about $68. Had some slack in my throttle cable after the install that hat to be repaired before I could test. Waiting for it to warm up so I can run it.

Thanks for the reply. Did you have the model 2181 installed?

EricB
01-17-2005, 05:31 PM
TPH:
Balsam Lake, Wi. You can get run over if you ski on a lake near the city.

tph
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
TPH:
Balsam Lake, Wi. You can get run over if you ski on a lake near the city.

Is that right? I haven't been there since I was a kid. Does anyone ski the Mississippi? We used to go to lake Staples in Wi.

east tx skier
01-18-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the reply. Did you have the model 2181 installed?

The box is in my car. I'll have to remember to check to be sure. It's the Edelbrock Performer that they sell at skidim.

tph
01-18-2005, 12:05 PM
The box is in my car. I'll have to remember to check to be sure. It's the Edelbrock Performer that they sell at skidim.

I checked Skidim. They seem to have their own # (0513) If you happen to catch the Edelbrock # on the box it would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

spoffie
01-18-2005, 12:12 PM
I installed a Performer #2181 ( used on ebay-$90 ) last spring on my '85 Nautique 2001. Hieght is not an issue IF you leave off the PCV spacer. Total increase if I recall was appox. 1/2-3/4". No installation issues at all concerning linkage or brackets. I ran the PCV hose to the 1/4"NPT fitting on the runner with no problems fouling the (#8?) spark plug. Hard to tell what the HP increase was as there are ET clocks on the water but I would estimate 20-25hp with a nice boost in low and midrange torque. The PCM manifold located the plenum below the runners and used the 1" spacer under the Holley. Very inefficient- tough to tell what PCM was thinking with their design. Next up, a set of GT40p heads and a 4-blade. Anyone out there with that setup?

spoffie
01-18-2005, 12:18 PM
Meant to say NO E.T. clocks on the water, although putting a Christmas Tree at the end of the dock would look pretty cool!

east tx skier
01-18-2005, 12:20 PM
When I spoke to skidim, they told me that a real world horsepower increase was along the lines of 5--10 hp and a nice mid-range torque increase. It'd be great if 20--25 hp was the result, but I've heard otherwise. Not trying to be contrary on the subject. Just parroting what I've been told.

The model skidim sells is #2181 (at least that's what the box says).

As far as setup, with this addition, GT40 heads and an acme 3 blade #541. Ought to be comparable to what you're looking at.

Edit. Whoops, didn't see the "p" after GT40. That ought to be a monster.

tph
01-18-2005, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the input! I'd love to think that the change would yield a 20-25 HP increase, but I suspect it's lower. In any case, torque is what it's all about in a towboat.

nattylightmike
01-19-2005, 01:02 AM
THP,
I installed the intake from skidim. I have a 90 prostar. I didn't have any clearence problems. I'm not to sure about how many horsepower it gave me. When I bought my boat W.OT. was about 3950 rpm's, when I was fogging my engine the little red straw that goes on the can went right down the #1 cylinder. I tried everything to get it out, my only option was to pull off the head. So while I had everything tore apart I rebuilt the carb, installed pertronix electronic ignition, got new plugs and wires and installed the new intake, now I am up to 4600+ rpm's W.O.T with a great holeshot. I had to do a little adjusting of the fuel air mixture, throttle cable, return spring, and fuel line. Last winter while I was doing all of this I also upgraded the stereo so with a big stereo comes a big alternator 110 amps, from what I have heard every 10 amps takes about 1 horsepower so if this is correct you could -6 ponies from the stock setup. This spring I am going to mess around with rejetting the carb, but other than that I think it's worth the money. :toast:

milkmania
01-19-2005, 01:31 AM
which pertronix electronic ignition did you go with?

tph
01-19-2005, 06:47 PM
THP,
I installed the intake from skidim. I have a 90 prostar. I didn't have any clearence problems. I'm not to sure about how many horsepower it gave me. When I bought my boat W.OT. was about 3950 rpm's, when I was fogging my engine the little red straw that goes on the can went right down the #1 cylinder. I tried everything to get it out, my only option was to pull off the head. So while I had everything tore apart I rebuilt the carb, installed pertronix electronic ignition, got new plugs and wires and installed the new intake, now I am up to 4600+ rpm's W.O.T with a great holeshot. I had to do a little adjusting of the fuel air mixture, throttle cable, return spring, and fuel line. Last winter while I was doing all of this I also upgraded the stereo so with a big stereo comes a big alternator 110 amps, from what I have heard every 10 amps takes about 1 horsepower so if this is correct you could -6 ponies from the stock setup. This spring I am going to mess around with rejetting the carb, but other than that I think it's worth the money. :toast:

Thanks for the info! The engine looks great!

André
01-19-2005, 06:57 PM
when I was fogging my engine the little red straw that goes on the can went right down the #1 cylinder. I tried everything to get it out, my only option was to pull off the head.

I think we should all learn something from that!

east tx skier
02-22-2005, 11:47 AM
Finally got my boat out for a test run with the new intake. In short, I'm all smiles. Feels like a different boat, but in a good way. So much wonderful torque. The overal feeling was solid, directed power. Hole shot is spectacular. No idea what my actual gain is, but the feel from the driver's seat is approaching what I feel when I drive the 310 hp boats owned by my family members. Again, I have no idea what the gain is, but it feels great!

Gotta love 87 degrees in February!

MarkP
02-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Great,

Now I do have to buy a 197 to catch up:toast:

east tx skier
02-23-2005, 10:51 AM
An intake manifold will probably be a less expensive purchase. :)

MarkP
02-23-2005, 11:32 AM
An intake manifold will probably be a less expensive purchase. :)
Come on man. Its my dream boat. I’m just practicing justifying it.:)

east tx skier
02-23-2005, 12:23 PM
Yeah, but if you get one, then I'll have to get one. :D

Leroy
02-23-2005, 12:27 PM
Isn't it great when a plan comes together! Great work Doug!

Finally got my boat out for a test run with the new intake. In short, I'm all smiles. Feels like a different boat, but in a good way. So much wonderful torque. The overal feeling was solid, directed power. Hole shot is spectacular. No idea what my actual gain is, but the feel from the driver's seat is approaching what I feel when I drive the 310 hp boats owned by my family members. Again, I have no idea what the gain is, but it feels great!

Gotta love 87 degrees in February!

east tx skier
02-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Spec-tacular!

MarkP
02-23-2005, 12:37 PM
Yeah, but if you get one, then I'll have to get one. :D
Yes you will..

Unless you want that “location” of yours to be literal:D :D

mitch
02-23-2005, 12:40 PM
87! Awesome and good to hear the boat is running well. 87!