PDA

View Full Version : HD radio

River Rat
03-09-2007, 07:38 PM
HD radio??? Anyone have it? and how do you like it? I need a new head unit and was thinking of getting HD.

River Rat
03-10-2007, 08:43 PM
nobody has HD:confused:

JKTX21
03-10-2007, 09:48 PM
What exactly is HD radio? I have XM radio in my truck... I like it alright I guess. It's $7/mo I think.

kazzapped
03-11-2007, 04:07 AM
i searched hd radio when you started this thread, looks cool, kind of random though. digital versions of the stations you already get almost and some other features.

bigmac
03-11-2007, 10:18 AM
i searched hd radio when you started this thread, looks cool, kind of random though. digital versions of the stations you already get almost and some other features.Major cities only, for now. More bandwidth, less compression, so likely better sound quality than satellite radio. As mentioned, it's the same stations you'd get anyway in any given area.

From my perspective, satellite radio's big advantage is variety, (relative) lack of commercials, no more inane/small-market disc jockies, and availability everwhere in country. AFAIK, HD radio's only advantage is sound quality, but in a car with road noise and wind noise, I can't imagine I'd be able to tell the difference.

atlfootr
03-11-2007, 10:21 AM
Any threads relating to XM Radio :confused:
That's what I'm after, I really really need it for my MCraft 8p

bigmac
03-11-2007, 10:43 AM
That's what I'm after, I really really need it for my MCraft 8pSatellite radio is great in a car. Sirius vs XM is debateable. I've been an XM subscriber for years, but for my purposes I have no desire to pay for it to be in my boat. I'd rather listen to my own music than music somone else was programming so it makes more sense for me to just use MP3 discs or hook up an iPod.

Ric
03-11-2007, 12:10 PM
will HD give me radio EVERYWHERE the way my sat radio does in my cars and boat?

Farmer Ted
03-11-2007, 01:49 PM
That's what I'm after, I really really need it for my MCraft 8p

I have an Inno, it's an MP3 player and portable XM reciever.

It's pretty much useless for XM unless it's docked into a car kit or home kit unless you're outdoors with a clear view of the southern sky.

One thing I like is that I can set it up to record programs that I can listen to when I'm not able to get the XM signal.

Samsung, Pioneer, and Audiovox all make a version. I believe they all have identical features just a different label on them.

Being able to move the player from my truck to my car to the house adds value to this.

www.xmfanstore.com has it for $84 after rebate. It comes with a home kit, you can pick up a car kit for another $70 or so.

River Rat
03-11-2007, 01:57 PM
I have xm in my truck and really like it, but I don't want to pay for it in my boat. My plan is to listen to MP3ís. I found a head unit that I like and it happens to be hd equipped so I was wondering if anyone had any experience. My FM does not work to well on the river(fades in and out) so I was thinking this may work better

Farmer Ted
03-11-2007, 02:05 PM
I've only ever had the XM add on radios and just recently saw the factory XM (GM and Honda)

I don't care for the lack of direct input or the lack of display info the OEM XM radios have.

Most add on radios display channel name and song or artist name plus scrolling stock ticker or sports scores

The ability to pop the Inno from one vehicle to another was the reason I got it.

bigmac
03-11-2007, 03:38 PM
I've only ever had the XM add on radios and just recently saw the factory XM (GM and Honda)

I don't care for the lack of direct input or the lack of display info the OEM XM radios have.

Most add on radios display channel name and song or artist name plus scrolling stock ticker or sports scores

The ability to pop the Inno from one vehicle to another was the reason I got it.The OEM XM system in my Sierra displays all the same RDS data. I guess I've never looked to see if it scrolls stock prices or sports scores, but is does display channel name, song name, artist, call in phone-numbers etc etc.