PDA

View Full Version : Teak Platform

Matthewt
03-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Just received delivery of my new X-45. I would like to get my teak platform to really look good. I have seen some awesome looking platforms from some other threads and members. Can someone offer some steps to get this thing to really look good? Thanks for your help.

sanjuan23
03-09-2007, 03:22 PM
East Texas Skier's FAQ Link there you will find all the steps to make that thing shine!! Right Harold!

peason
03-09-2007, 08:31 PM
do a search - there are a lot of anal teak boys on this website!

Monte
03-09-2007, 08:34 PM
do a search - there are a lot of anal teak boys on this website!

That is fo sho!!!!! Right Harold?:rolleyes: ;) :D

Matthewt
03-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll do a search and also look at East Texas Skier's FAQ's

SkiDog
03-10-2007, 09:51 AM
That is fo sho!!!!! Right Harold?:rolleyes: ;) :D

Harold be at the factory! He be back next week!:D

TMCNo1
03-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Just received delivery of my new X-45. I would like to get my teak platform to really look good. I have seen some awesome looking platforms from some other threads and members. Can someone offer some steps to get this thing to really look good? Thanks for your help.

Here is a good start, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=6841&d=1140472173
You can carry this as far as you want, but just the basics will make you happy, if you are willing to sand and add more teak oil once a year to bring it back, good luck, and if I can help, just hollar, Harold.

G-man
03-13-2007, 11:23 AM
I have no personal knowledge of anal teak care see TMC#1 he's older and probably had that checked out.

TMCNo1
03-13-2007, 01:25 PM
I have no personal knowledge of anal teak care see TMC#1 he's older and probably had that checked out.

Being one of my students and now you have had your library card taken away, what am I going to do with you? OK, off to detention for you young man!

Matthewt
03-13-2007, 02:07 PM
Thanks Harold......I have heard you are the King of Teak

G-man
03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Being one of my students and now you have had your library card taken away, what am I going to do with you? OK, off to detention for you young man!

Don't you hate it when I start to sound like you? Seems to happen while we wait for the water to warm up. Did you see the kids, harold, harold and harold while you in Vonore?

TMCNo1
03-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Don't you hate it when I start to sound like you? Seems to happen while we wait for the water to warm up. Did you see the kids, harold, harold and harold while you in Vonore?

Yea, Corcinna had a roadside stand selling frozen snowballs and was as ugly and flatchested as ever. She had made some money though, cause there were 2 teeth, out of the 13 missing in front that wasn't there 4 years ago. The truckers were lined up taking paternity tests, just to be sure 4 year old named George Jean Harold Dean wasn't theirs. George, remember the Reunion in 2003? You specifically told Ken, "If the boats a rockin', I might be a dockin' "!!!!!!!!!!

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 12:41 PM
OK guys and gals, it's time to bring it back to life after 4 years and have it nice for CSM. The basic stuff, cup with real soapy water, 3M 1500 and 2000 Wet-or-Dry sandpaper, Tilex and a toothbrush, tack rag, Starbrite Teak Oil, Sealer and Preserver in the white bottle (yes, the bottle is 13 years old) and 1/2 bottle is left.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Tightened all the screws, wiped platform with mineral spirits to remove choke smoke, sprayed Tilex, scrubbed cracks and joints with a stiff toothbrush, rinsed, wet sanded with 1500 then 2000, rinsed and blew water out of everything with the leafblower, towel dried it.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 12:51 PM
Got off all the dust and lint with a tack rag and applied teak oil to all the joints, gaps, grooves and openings with oil in the paint brush and spread all the excess around with my hand. Applied a light amounts of teak oil to my hand and rubbed all the surfaces with a light coat, just enough to restore the gloss.

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Another,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 12:56 PM
It's now on the roof of the garage (my drying oven) in the sun and after 2 hours it's 3/4 dry to the touch. I will bring it in tonight and wet sand and apply teak oil to it again tomorrow.

shepherd
03-14-2007, 01:52 PM
I think you missed a spot :rolleyes:

bigmac
03-14-2007, 02:12 PM
It's now on the roof of the garage (my drying oven) in the sun and after 2 hours it's 3/4 dry to the touch. I will bring it in tonight and wet sand and apply teak oil to it again tomorrow.That picture puts me in mind of this guy, who apparently just washed his Harley and is trying to dry it off in the same way...

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 02:42 PM
That picture puts me in mind of this guy, who apparently just washed his Harley and is trying to dry it off in the same way...

I always just knew I could be a trend setter!:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 07:53 PM
OK, took the platform off the roof of the garage at 4:30pm and the teak oil is hard as a rock after 6.5 hours in the warm sun. We tied a record high today of 82 degrees, so it don't take long. The pollen that landed on it during the day wiped right off with a soft damp towel, but one bug lost his feet to the cause.

SkiDog
03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
OK, took the platform off the roof of the garage at 4:30pm and the teak oil is hard as a rock after 6.5 hours in the warm sun. We tied a record high today of 82 degrees, so it don't take long. The pollen that landed on it during the day wiped right off with a soft damp towel, but one bug lost his feet to the cause.
I'm suprised that you don't have its own special oven!:D

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm suprised that you don't have its own special oven!:D

I do, see posts 13 to 17, especially 17!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:uglyhamme :eek: :popcorn:

hz900
03-15-2007, 01:01 AM
OK guys and gals, it's time to bring it back to life after 4 years and have it nice for CSM. The basic stuff, cup with real soapy water, 3M 1500 and 2000 Wet-or-Dry sandpaper, Tilex and a toothbrush, tack rag, Starbrite Teak Oil, Sealer and Preserver in the white bottle (yes, the bottle is 13 years old) and 1/2 bottle is left.

Where can I buy this teak oil? Please don't say my local mc dealer because I really hate giving them my business.

bigmac
03-15-2007, 01:42 AM
I don't think I've ever been in any boat store that didn't sell Starbrite teak care products. Even bait shops and Holiday gas stations sell the stuff around here.

However, through the magic of the internet, I find that both Overtons (http://overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=21227&aID=24G&pdesc=Star_Brite_Teak_Care_Kit_qt) and West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/72433/10001/322/11204/4) sell Starbrite teak oil...;) :D

I know it's what I use on my swim platform, although I'm beginning to think that may have something to do with my problems with the rubber mat on the thing...

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 08:28 AM
I don't think I've ever been in any boat store that didn't sell Starbrite teak care products. Even bait shops and Holiday gas stations sell the stuff around here.

However, through the magic of the internet, I find that both Overtons (http://overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&i=21227&aID=24G&pdesc=Star_Brite_Teak_Care_Kit_qt) and West Marine (http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/72433/10001/322/11204/4) sell Starbrite teak oil...

I know it's what I use on my swim platform, although I'm beginning to think that may have something to do with my problems with the rubber mat on the thing...
:eek: :popcorn: :uglyhamme

shepherd
03-15-2007, 10:06 AM
Teak oil is teak oil, right? Does it really matter who you buy it from or what brand?

BTW, Harold. That platform looks awesome! Do you contract out? ;)

bigmac
03-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Teak oil is teak oil, right? Does it really matter who you buy it from or what brand? Teak oil is usually just tung oil, and that's available in lots of places, including your local hardware store or lumber yard. You could also use linseed oil - cheaper and likely works just as well. Or you could pay a lot of money and buy TEAK OIL. Its purpose is to restore the wood's natural oils and give it that nice golden furniture look - it doesn't protect the wood. Some people use a sealer afterwards to slow down the re-loss of the new oil. If you really want to protect a teak swim platform, you can apply a varnish.

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 10:53 AM
Teak oil is teak oil, right? Does it really matter who you buy it from or what brand?

BTW, Harold. That platform looks awesome! Do you contract out? ;)

Teak oil is not just teak oil.
Some teak oils are not much different than motor oil, linseed oil, transmission fluid, baby oil, etc. They just lightly penetrate the teak, lay on top of the teak and never dry, then when the platform is in the water, it leaches oil off into the water and it's gone, therefore not preserving and protecting the wood over a long period of time. Starbrite Teak Oil Sealer/Preserver in the white bottle as pictured in post 13 (Overtons, 13 years ago @ $10.95 qt.) among a very few others, when properly used, penetrates the naturally oily teak and DRIES and SEALS the teak against the elements. If allowed to dry throughly it dries like a shellac or varnish and is not rejected by the natural oils in the teak, like varnish, lacquer, polyurethane and most conventional clear wood or automotive refinishing products. Since it dries hard, it can then be sanded and repaired if necessary.
What I do to my platform is not for everyone, especially those who use the platform to put on their skis, boards, etc. and consistantly scratch, gouge, dent, back into docks and generally abuse the wood. It takes PATIENCE and wet sanding with wet-or-dry sandpaper between every 2 or 3 coats and the application of very thin hand applied coats in the sun. I hope that answers your questions.

bigmac
03-15-2007, 11:08 AM
What I do to my platform is not for everyone, especially those who use the platform to put on their skis, boards, etc. and consistantly scratch, gouge, dent, back into docks and generally abuse the wood. It takes PATIENCE and wet sanding with wet-or-dry sandpaper between every 2 or 3 coats and the application of very thin hand applied coats in the sun. I hope that answers your questions.

Boy, Harold...you're making me wish more and more that I didn't have a fiberglass swim platform....:D

shepherd
03-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Boy, Harold...you're making me wish more and more that I didn't have a fiberglass swim platform....:D

He's making me think that maybe I should wish for a fiberglass platform! :( :D

east tx skier
03-15-2007, 11:52 AM
Teak typically isn't this long of a process. I think Harold only does the full sand and oil repeat process every few years or so, right Harold? I just did a light rub with some zero steel wool and applied a coat of teak oil. 10 minutes and the work was done. I don't count drying time as work though. I'll always have teak.

shepherd
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Agreed. Even a faded, abused teak platform would be better than a shiny new fiberglass one IMO.

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 01:42 PM
Teak typically isn't this long of a process. I think Harold only does the full sand and oil repeat process every few years or so, right Harold? I just did a light rub with some zero steel wool and applied a coat of teak oil. 10 minutes and the work was done. I don't count drying time as work though. I'll always have teak.

Right, I last sanded and applied teak oil in the Fall of 2003. A good washdown with mineral spirits and biodegradable cleaner to remove the choke smoke and waterline gunk and some paste wax or Pledge furniture polish once during the last 3 or 4 winters is all I've done till now.

Jkelly
03-15-2007, 02:02 PM
I bought some cheap Teak oil the first year I own my boat and I still don't thinks its dry. Everytime I put the boat in the water it looks a oil tanker spring a leak behind me for the first few minutes

SkiDog
03-15-2007, 05:17 PM
It's now on the roof of the garage (my drying oven) in the sun and after 2 hours it's 3/4 dry to the touch. I will bring it in tonight and wet sand and apply teak oil to it again tomorrow.

Whats up with the 3-tab shingles?!?!?!?!?!? This is 2007!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Those went out with disco!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

G-man
03-15-2007, 05:26 PM

he's in North Carolina

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 05:30 PM
Hey, I dunno, it was re-roofed 5 years ago w/ 30 year shingles when I replaced the thatched roof and covered the dirt floors with pea gravel!
We are still driving on dirt roads covered with motor oil to keep down the dust!

bigmac
03-15-2007, 05:45 PM
Agreed. Even a faded, abused teak platform would be better than a shiny new fiberglass one IMO.

ga-a-ag....http://forums.aswp.net//theme_aswp/smilies/vomit.gif

shepherd
03-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Sorry Mac! Hope you're better soon...

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 08:16 PM

I redid my signature just for you!

bigmac
03-15-2007, 10:30 PM
Sorry Mac! Hope you're better soon...Heh...just kidding about the teak. I consider it to be a completely acceptable alternative to fiberglass...;)

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 09:25 AM
The platform is slowly coming around,

Rich_G
03-19-2007, 09:45 AM
TMCNo1 - I noticed the Graco Playpen next to the teak oiling station. Is that a coincidence? Or are you trying to raise some grandkids that have fond memories of fresh teak oil seered into their little subconscious memories?

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 10:01 AM
TMCNo1 - I noticed the Graco Playpen next to the teak oiling station. Is that a coincidence? Or are you trying to raise some grandkids that have fond memories of fresh teak oil seered into their little subconscious memories?

That's our 7 mo. old grandaby buddy Maddie's Pack-N-Play that we keep in the den. Gotta get her started off right with the essence of teak oil on the brain. Sure does beat the smell of Pampers! Traci has already warned me not to use teak oil for diaper rash!!!!!!!!!!!!

shepherd
03-19-2007, 01:32 PM
The platform is slowly coming around,

Harold, they're right - you ARE sick! ;)

I'd be afraid to put my ski on that piece of furniture, let alone spill a beer on it. :rolleyes:

Sodar
03-19-2007, 01:38 PM
You have got to be kidding me!! Has a ski truthfully EVER touched that??

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 03:02 PM
You have got to be kidding me!! Has a ski truthfully EVER touched that??

Yes! I had the platform about 75% of what it is now in May of 1989 and when our daughter Traci returned from Bill Peterson's Ski School in Windemere, FL. it got dimpled real bad. We had Bill put her in a new trick ski and the screws they sent for the bindings were too long, nobody noticed and they penetrated the bottom of the ski and they tore up the platform the first time she trained after she got home. Took me 5 minutes to change out the screws and 2 days with a steam iron and a wet rag to get the dimples out of the wood. She trained behind the boat for 7 seasons, twice a week after that and a ski never touched it. I can still find dimples in it!

Sodar
03-19-2007, 03:06 PM
.....Took me 5 minutes to change out the screws and 2 days with a steam iron and a wet rag to get the dimples out of the wood. She trained behind the boat for 7 seasons, twice a week after that and a ski never touched it.

Cool Harold! Is that how you get some dimples out of wood? If I could do this to our dining room table, my mom would be ECSTATIC!! When we were younger, we always did our homework on her mahogony table and now you can see our cursive homework from 10 years ago, while eating dinner!!

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 03:07 PM
Harold, they're right - you ARE sick! ;)

I'd be afraid to put my ski on that piece of furniture, let alone spill a beer on it. :rolleyes:

Besides butts and feet, you would be amazed what has been on that platform over the years!:rolleyes:

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Cool Harold! Is that how you get some dimples out of wood? If I could do this to our dining room table, my mom would be ECSTATIC!! When we were younger, we always did our homework on her mahogony table and now you can see our cursive homework from 10 years ago, while eating dinner!!
As long as the wood is not cut or gouged and just has depressions in it, a thick, real wet rag and a steam iron (in the steam mode) will expand the wood from the steam and heat and the wood will come back to the surface. You would only want to do it with the finish removed or it will turn the finish white.
In the case of the dimples, a big flat nose soldering iron would have done the same thing.

Sodar
03-19-2007, 03:25 PM
As long as the wood is not cut or gouged and just has depressions in it, a thick, real wet rag and a steam iron (in the steam mode) will expand the wood from the steam and heat and the wood will come back to the surface. You would only want to do it with the finish removed or it will turn the finish white.
In the case of the dimples, a big flat nose soldering iron would have done the same thing.

It just has a lemon oil finish???? :confused:

TMCNo1
03-19-2007, 03:32 PM
It just has a lemon oil finish???? :confused:

Should work then, just apply lemon oil after your done. Just do a small test area first.