PDA

View Full Version : Replacing the CD player in a 99 Maristar

Bubble
03-09-2007, 02:58 PM
I have a 99 Maristar VRS 230 and I have a problem with the sound system.

Whenever I turn up the stock Clarion system above a volume level of 20 (just loud enough to hear) both speakers on the right side freak out and sound terrible. If one freaks, the other does too at the exact same time so I don't think it's the speakers themselves.

Now I'm just guessing but I think that means a channel is blown in the deck and I probably just need to get a new deck.

Now when I buy this, can I just buy a wiring harness for a Mastercraft? ...that's how you would do it in a car, you just get the right harness for your make and model.

Thanks in advance!

billr
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Sounds more like speakers to me!

sanjuan23
03-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Placing Second Bet on the Speakers.... Check the around the speaker connections and see if they are possibly shorting out or a loose connection somewhere

endl
03-09-2007, 04:14 PM
On my 94 225 VRS ther was not a wiring harness to speak of. You had your major wires marked on the Mastercraft side and you just need to match up if you put a new deck in. Most new decks have everything color coded and even small tags on certain wires so you know what they are for. You shold be able to read the manual and hook everthing back up. Just buy some good butt connectors and a good pair of crimp plyers and it will make it alot easier. All your amp stuff if you use it will be RCA type connections and harneses everything is fairly simple.

rick s.
03-09-2007, 04:22 PM
to check to see whether it's the speakers or the deck you could switch the speaker wires from R to L. If the left speakers "freaked out" after the switch then it's the decks. If the right speakers still "freaked out" after the switch then the problem is with the speakers or the wiring.

Bubble
03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the info so far.

Now get this; we just went out since I posted and all 4 speakers worked perfect for about 20 minutes. Everything sounded perfect. If I can get it to sound like that all the time I will be tickled pink.

It sounds like the consensus is that it may be wiring or speakers??? I don't understand why two speakers would "freak out" (they start to rattle and get static really bad), ... I don't see why they would do this at the same time. The front and back right side speakers are in tandem, if one works good, they both do.

Could a short in one speaker cause that whole channel (the left) to mess up, or do you all think this is inside the deck?

Also, If I go cutting wires to switch the speakers out, what do I use to re-connect them? Surely not electrical tape???

Thanks.

JBaker
03-12-2007, 12:18 AM
If you replace the stereo you won't need a new wiring harness other than one that will be supplied with your new unit. You will then just color for color splice the new harness with the existing (just cut the current connector off.)

It is always great to solder and then heat shrink, but butt connectors will work just fine as well. If you do things right, you should never need electrical tape or (gasp) a wire nut.