PDA

View Full Version : Mastercraft in Jamaica.

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Jamaica was warm. Almost too warm. But I felt a little bit more at home since they had a resident MC on hand for your skiing/tubing pleasure. 2000 PS 190. over 1400hrs on it. Let me tell you, ROUGH shape! I took a few pics...

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Loading it onto the trailer...

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Here one guy hits the throttle, while another pulls on the trailer. They get it up as far as they can this way...

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:20 AM
Then, the Multi-purpose tractor finishes off the job...Oh, but they just loop a rope over the hitch, they don't want to get their tractor too full of salt water.

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
Pull it right up along side the building... Flat tires and all...

RexDog1
03-09-2007, 11:22 AM
I have been to Sandals about 6 times, fun skiing in Jamaica wake up at 7 and hit the water
I have been looking for a guy I skied with in Jamaica it was back in 1995 or so from Chicago barefooted???

BTW all MC at Sandals :D

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Then, let's open up the hatch and spray her down with water... this is their "flushing" technique... I asked if they flush the engine... "no man, not everyday. Usually on sundays we do that"

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:26 AM
Keep hosing her down... Check out the dip stick...:eek: You don't suppose there is any water that gets in there do ya?

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:27 AM
close-up of the dipstick...

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
We did go tubing once... (I'm still recovering from ACL surgery so no skiing for me until May) But what a horrible experience. Constant salt water in the eyes... and the Exhaust from the boat stunk soo bad... and just hung around. I'm not sure what they feed that thing for fuel... but WOW, it needed some extra TLC. Our eyes were burning the whole time. from exhaust and salt water.

rodltg2
03-09-2007, 11:31 AM
funny stuff, that boat is not a 2000 though. looks like an 04..

M-Funf
03-09-2007, 11:32 AM
If the engine is fresh water cooled, why do they need to flush it? It is fresh water cooled, right? That's what that tank at the front of the engine with the radiator cap on it is, right???:confused:

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:37 AM
funny stuff, that boat is not a 2000 though. looks like an 04..

Yeah, see I didn't think it was as old as 2000 either... But that's what they told me. I didn't go investigate the Vin or anything. I'm not up on the differences from year to year, so I couldn't argue.

For some reason, I can't find the picture I took of the Teak Platform... Ever wonder what a platform looks like that has been in salt water for a few years without any care whatsoever... It was BAD! made me feel a little better about mine.

east tx skier
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Mmmmm, salty. Agree with Rod, 03 or 04 given the rudder and the "Predator".

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
If the engine is fresh water cooled, why do they need to flush it? It is fresh water cooled, right? That's what that tank at the front of the engine with the radiator cap on it is, right???:confused:

Yes but the intake water still circulates and cools off the Exhaust Manifold and such I believe... So that'll rust and fall off shortly I would assume.

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 11:40 AM
Mmmmm, salty. Agree with Rod, 03 or 04 given the rudder and the "Predator".

Here's a close-up of the rudder if that helps.

east tx skier
03-09-2007, 11:43 AM
I think 04 was the last year of the TBI predator. 02s that weren't TT boats, had the foiled rudder. So 03 or 04.

Flatwaterfooter
03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I went there is 99 and they had 95 PS at the time. The condition those boats were in was horrible. It looked stolen and abandoned.

ridehype4life
03-09-2007, 11:46 AM
That my friends is a Master Raft.

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 12:00 PM
That my friends is a Master Raft.

Ya Mon! ...

Naste Craft
03-09-2007, 01:05 PM
I went to Jamaica for my honeymoon last Feb 2006. I was bummed because at Sandals Ocho Rios they did not have a MC or any ski boat!!!!:rant: O well I had better things it do...:rolleyes: :D

H20skeefreek
03-09-2007, 01:23 PM
That is at Montego Bay right? If so, that's not the same 'raft they had in 2000 when I was there on my honeymoon, looks like it's in better shape.

Datdude
03-09-2007, 01:32 PM
I puked in my mouth when I saw the condition of that boat:cry:

Edit: what color is that boat? It is hard to tell on my computer

H20skeefreek
03-09-2007, 01:41 PM
I'm actually really surprised at the exterior condition of the engine, knowing how they take care of it. I'd buy it from them for a few hundred bucks.

Jim@BAWS
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Edit: what color is that boat?

ASPEN GREEN Available through 2004 model year UCK !!!!

Jim@BAWS

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Edit: what color is that boat? It is hard to tell on my computer

It's a mossy dull green color. Probably hasn't been waxed since they got it.

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 01:47 PM
That is at Montego Bay right? If so, that's not the same 'raft they had in 2000 when I was there on my honeymoon, looks like it's in better shape.

Ya Mon. Mo-Bay it is!

Sodar
03-09-2007, 01:55 PM
Probably hasn't been waxed since they got it.

I know that it is hard for all of us to come to grips with how someone can treat a boat this way, but the truth is... IT IS A WORK BOAT!!! It is there to make them $$$$$, unlike our boats where we like to spend our $$$$$!!! It is the same thing as the way I treat my truck, washing it evey few days and waxing it, versus the guy with the same truck who uses it for work on the jobsite and has not washed it since the day he bought it!!! I am actually pleasantly suprised to see them hosing down the engine and even more suprised that they have a freshwater cooling system on the boat!!! Just thought I would toss this out there... nobody hate me!!! :D 8p :D

#47of100TeamMC
03-09-2007, 02:13 PM
I know that it is hard for all of us to come to grips with how someone can treat a boat this way, but the truth is... IT IS A WORK BOAT!!! It is there to make them $$$$$, unlike our boats where we like to spend our $$$$$!!! It is the same thing as the way I treat my truck, washing it evey few days and waxing it, versus the guy with the same truck who uses it for work on the jobsite and has not washed it since the day he bought it!!! I am actually pleasantly suprised to see them hosing down the engine and even more suprised that they have a freshwater cooling system on the boat!!! Just thought I would toss this out there... nobody hate me!!! :D 8p :D

I hear ya... and i agree. It's still sad to see though... Almost like seeing kids in an orphanage. it's a shame ya know.

Kevin 89MC
03-09-2007, 02:41 PM
I love the "decal mod": Master raft! :)
I think it's actually a testament to the quality of MC. Yes, they don't baby & care for the boat as most of us do, but considering the environment it's in, and the people who use it, it looks like it is holding up great from a functional standpoint. I would fully expect the vinyl, carpet, platform, etc to be in tough shape, but think of what it would be like if it were any other brand - it would probably be on the ocean floor!
I'm no expert on the engines of that era, but it sure looks different than the ones I've seen in 6th gen ProStars . . .
Thanks for sharing the pics.

RexDog1
03-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Ya Mon. Mo-Bay it is!

Did you wave at the Airplanes? :wavey:

You need to go there to understand, the airport is about 1000 away from Sandals

Naste Craft
03-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Did you wave at the Airplanes? :wavey:

You need to go there to understand, the airport is about 1000 away from Sandals

Thats the reason we went to Ocho Rios. I didn't want to fly all the way to Jamaica to hang out at the airport.....

H20skeefreek
03-09-2007, 04:46 PM
When we went, we were at the end of the resort with the planes flying DIRECTLY over us, but there aren't really a lot of flights going in and out of there, and when we were in the room, we didn't really care what was going on outside. Hey, it was our honeymoon. We were thinking about going back in a few years, maybe when I'm there I can buy that beast from them for a song and a dance.

H20skeefreek
03-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Did anyone notice that the glass for the center of the windshield is missing?

JimN
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
That's the old style rudder and the Predator has been around for a long time. They probably just tossed the plastic piece that covered the flame arrestor. They sent three of their guys to MC training in late '99 and I'm sure Will remembers them. WOW! What a bunch! I'm surprised the boat still runs with them working on it. Yah, mon! Everything irie, mon!

After reading that it's in rough shape, I was surprised to see that it doesn't look all that bad in the pics. The dip stick was really the worst thing I saw, well, that and the dark areas under the exhaust flaps. If it was running really rich all the time, it may have a bad ETC or low quality fuel. Who knows?

H20skeefreek
03-09-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm sure it's really low quality fuel. When I was there, they told me that they used to have a carbed boat and they couldn't keep it running right b/c of the inconsistant fuel quality. Like I said above, I'm kinda suprised about the condition, doesn't really look too bad for what it goes through and who is taking care of it. The guy in the red hat tried to sell me weed, looks like him anyway.

WTRSK1R
03-09-2007, 10:08 PM
My wife and I went to the Sandals at Negril in Jamaica back in 1998 or so, and one morning the water was so calm that when you swung outside the wake you would have thought the coral was only about 2 feet below the surface. It was actually kind of scary because you would see the bottom so clearly you thought you were going to crash. I think it was actually about 40 feet deep where they were pulling me, but everything was just clear as could be. Did some Scuba diving while there too. The coral was not nearly as colorful as it is in Cozumel, but it was still very cool.

bepresto
03-09-2007, 10:19 PM
my wife and I were in jamaica in August of 05' @ the sandals Jamaica Dunns river Falls. Same kind of experience with their MC. The sad thing is they still had their old one there and looked horrible. Wish I took the digital camera to take pics. It was a 98' and was totally rotted through the hull, had no engine and no windshield. just sad how they take care of the boats. They dont care though, when they are making so much money off of us and paying the locals so little money. And to finish this off, I will bet that there has never been any gonja on the boat mon.

H20skeefreek
03-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Rotted through the hull? Are you sure they didn't hit something and put a hole in it? How would it rot through? It's all fiberglass.

I should add that they do pay the locals just peanuts, they are considered some of the richest of the working class, and they get to live at sandals.

quincyfirefighter
03-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Thats the reason we went to Ocho Rios. I didn't want to fly all the way to Jamaica to hang out at the airport.....
You should try the ride to Negril :eek: Once there it as great but the ride and roads (wow). Stayed at Sandal's but always seem to have to take a walk down past Hedonism to check out the sites. Couldn't talk the wife into staying there. :rolleyes:

M Shore
03-10-2007, 10:52 AM
We stay at rockhouse negril and every day this same boat pulls up to the cliffs below our bungalow. If you are going to negril forget about the allinclusive resorts rockhouse is real JAIMAICA!!!

OhioProstar
03-10-2007, 12:54 PM
We stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios last April and it was very nice. Brand new as well. If you need to move around the country at all for sight seeing or private airport transfer I highly recommend Errol Flynn tours. Great guy and very accomidating. http://www.errolflynntours.com/home.html

Andyg
03-10-2007, 01:13 PM
You should try the ride to Negril :eek: Once there it as great but the ride and roads (wow). Stayed at Sandal's but always seem to have to take a walk down past Hedonism to check out the sites. Couldn't talk the wife into staying there. :rolleyes:

When was the last time you went to Negril? I was just there about a month ago and the ride wasn't that bad. From what I understand they redid the highway from Montego Bay to Negril recently. It was about an hour and fifteen minute bus ride from the airport to our Riu resort.

I sware that is the same MC that I saw when I was in Negril in Janauary.

off-axis
03-10-2007, 01:16 PM
I guess their ski team is about as good as their bobsled team!!

Ya Mon!

quincyfirefighter
03-11-2007, 12:45 PM
When was the last time you went to Negril? I was just there about a month ago and the ride wasn't that bad. From what I understand they redid the highway from Montego Bay to Negril recently. It was about an hour and fifteen minute bus ride from the airport to our Riu resort.

I sware that is the same MC that I saw when I was in Negril in Janauary.
It's been about five years. Been trying to make it back....;)

rodltg2
03-11-2007, 01:16 PM
this thread has given me the idea to go there for our honeymoon. weve been trying to think of somewhere, and jamaica is perfect since neither of us have been there.

beatle78
03-11-2007, 09:37 PM
We LOVED Sandals Montego bay. We went there for our honeymoon in 2002.

There were only a few flights that left each day and we didn't really notice.

Besides who wants to fly all those hours to go on vacation, only to be stuck on a bus for another couple hours..... We wanted to land and be there....

Plus if you stay at Montego Bay there is another Sandals 1/2 mile up the road. We were NEVER bored :)

123src
08-22-2007, 12:21 AM
OK guys, Looks like I am going to Jamaica (Montego Bay, but not staying at a sandals location) in Jan. It seems by most of this post Sandals is the place to ski. Are there any Ski Schools or other skiing opportunities that can be recommended? I would appreciate any input.

Thanks in advance!

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 12:28 AM
most importantly how were they at driving.

I think its pretty hard to get a good pull even from people who take care of their boats. Constant slow turn in the boat path etc.

If these guys can give you the speed you ask for, and keep a straight path I won't complain about how destroyed that boat is.

H20skeefreek
08-22-2007, 07:11 AM
They don't have a course, so a perfectly straight line probably isn't thier priority.

Ben
08-22-2007, 08:10 AM
We stayed @ Sandals St. Lucia a few years back for honeymoon too. Great place, we never left the resort. They also had a PS 190 & a X-Star that wasn't running. A bit bumpy water, but you're still skiing boarding on your honeymoon...

tex
08-22-2007, 09:42 AM
We went to Jamaica for our honeymoon back in 1998. We picked the resort because of MC. 2 days before we left, our travel agent phoned and told us that our resort had been shut down. She had booked into a Couples Resort. It had just opened and had all the same set us. Took my board and footsuit/handles. We got there and saw 2 nice 190's that were on trailers and a Boston Whaler in the water. They had not got the permits for the MC's and were not allowed to put them in the water. I had to board behind the BW. No wake-I boarded twice and retired to the swim up bar. That's where I stayed!

88 PS190
08-22-2007, 11:03 AM
They don't have a course, so a perfectly straight line probably isn't thier priority.

eh, even with out a course a straight line is always the drivers priority, unless you are wake surfing,

even for wakeboarders a turning boat can wash out the wake on one side

shepherd
08-22-2007, 12:27 PM

SoCalBrew
08-22-2007, 02:44 PM
I'm just happy to see that have an MC over something else... You'd think they'd have a bigger boat to handle the waves better there... but then, they wouldn't be able to pull that out by hand on the sand. I wonder if there is any gel coat left on the bottom of that boat - the sand has to be doing a number on it.

pq2
08-22-2007, 02:55 PM
I dont know how many of you had or use their boat on salt water but it is much harder to keep it nice and shiny.

#47of100TeamMC
08-22-2007, 04:07 PM
I dont know how many of you had or use their boat on salt water but it is much harder to keep it nice and shiny.

DUDE your alive! How's the Hurricane down in Mexico?!?

Stay Safe man!

pq2
08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Much better than in Jamaica, Dean made a lot of damage to Jamaica. Cancun is OK. Next vacation, come to cancun and i promise my boat will be in better shape than the one in Jamaica

SoCalBrew
08-23-2007, 03:05 PM
pq2 - you ever get really smooth water there in the ocean? something worth skiing on? does the ski feel different in the salt?

BuoyChaser
08-23-2007, 03:40 PM
sounds like a fun trip and a once in a lifetime experience to ski above the coral behind a MASTER RAFT!!!

ntidsl
08-29-2007, 07:48 AM
I have been working with Sandals for over a year now...been to Jamaica 5 times in 07 already...Update for everyone...Sandals Negril has just finish redoping almost every room...still just okay, but then they added a new block of rtoom that are sweeeeeetttt with a plunge pool right outside your room that connects to a main pool with an island for sunbathing. I have been working on creating this place for month and when the lighting was done...wow...awesome pool colors and LED lights throughout the trees...ooohhh awww...

Antigua has just been totally redone and is awesome and for those with kids book now for beaches turks...I have the plans on my desk and the italian village is to die for!!!

No other resorts have that aura that Jamaica has though...there's just something about it...as far as the relaxation factor, Sandals negril all the way...no doubt...I've been to almost every Sandals, take my word for it. And Master Crafts are waiting to pull you too....one tip...find the boat driver the day you get there, take your ski, tip him 20 bucks to get you in the water at sunrise and you are in there...oh sunrise in jamaica is actually 2 hours after the sun comes up but just be patient and drink your coffee and relax mon, its worth the wait!

pq2
08-29-2007, 11:04 AM
pq2 - you ever get really smooth water there in the ocean? something worth skiing on? does the ski feel different in the salt?

We dont ski on the ocean, we have a huge lagoon with hundreds of flat water spots.:cool:

Ryan
08-29-2007, 11:12 AM
...redoping ...Jamaica

So how does one dope a room in Jamaica? ;)

ntidsl
08-30-2007, 08:39 AM
redoing...lol...redoing!!!

Ryan
08-30-2007, 02:22 PM
redoing...lol...redoing!!!

Glad to hear it. It's pretty easy to toke it up there from what I hear.

tommcat
08-30-2007, 03:10 PM
i was in St. john for new years week, couldnt find any wakeboarding while i was there. maybe i should bring a boat down and start my own service like that

1990lmtd
02-14-2010, 02:00 PM
I skiied behind that green 190 on my honemoon. Besides the tore-up bindings and the inability to go straight (no matter how many times I mentioned it) it was good to be able to get my ski fix in.

broncotw
02-15-2010, 12:16 PM
My buddy went to Sandals in Jamaica in 2007 and he and his wife witnessed two Sandals employees get into an argument and one pulled out a knife and stabbed the other..... Sandals ended up refunding their money…..

What an outrage to see a MasterCraft in such horrible condition..... What comforts me is as this boat is continually subjected to such horrible conditions it keeps running -- and floating!!!

What a testament to the durability and longevity of a MasterCraft.....

I think someone should purchase this boat and "redo" it!

I'll be anxiously waiting for these pictures......

Ryan
01-01-2013, 07:45 PM
Wrong thread.

ProStar200
01-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I was in Montego Bay Jamaica at Mo Bay Sandals at the end of September and early October. The Mastercraft wasn't there, if it was I would have gone for a ski. They had a newer Boston Whaler for skiing, wake boarding and tubing. We had an amazing time, 6 couples went down together. I would definitely recommend Mo Bay. If you get the chance go out on the Catamaran. Can't wait to go back.

Ryan
01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I was in Montego Bay Jamaica at Mo Bay Sandals at the end of September and early October. The Mastercraft wasn't there, if it was I would have gone for a ski. They had a newer Boston Whaler for skiing, wake boarding and tubing. We had an amazing time, 6 couples went down together. I would definitely recommend Mo Bay. If you get the chance go out on the Catamaran. Can't wait to go back.

I called Sandals Whitehouse to see if they had a boat running before I booked the trip to that location. All of the other activities were cool, skiing made it that much better. We never got to use a catamaran though. The one time we signed up the wind died right before it was our turn. The staff had to go out in a Whaler to pull two of them back in.

http://youtu.be/rCz2ThUiees

wheelerlake
01-02-2013, 07:49 PM
That's funny. Our Mastercrafting friends across the lake have actually painted "Master Raft" on the side of their raft:)

JulioX2
01-03-2013, 12:26 AM
I called Sandals Whitehouse to see if they had a boat running before I booked the trip to that location. All of the other activities were cool, skiing made it that much better. We never got to use a catamaran though. The one time we signed up the wind died right before it was our turn. The staff had to go out in a Whaler to pull two of them back in.

http://youtu.be/rCz2ThUiees

Good video! Reminded me how much I love that resort. Thanks for sharing.
Hope to return there soon.