PDA

View Full Version : Seling Price Help

hokiecharlie
03-08-2007, 05:11 PM
I need to draw on the collective wisdom of the forum. I am selling my 1998 Prostar Sammy Duval 205 (see 2/4/07 ad in marketplace) because I just bought a 2002 209. The boat has 471 hours all fresh water, has always been stored under a boathouse roof or in a shed and is very clean. The only add ons are a depth finder, a New Dimension Tower with racks and a Sony CD AM/FM both installed in 2006. There are no engine or performance issues at all. Based on the NADA boat guide, I come up with an "average retail value" of about $20,700 and "low retail" of about $18,400 after adjusting for single-axle trailer, age of tower, etc. The MC dealer sent me a potential buyer. His issues were 1) observer seat seam is starting to split, and he wants to replace cover on driver's seat bottom, 2) gelcoat is a little faded from oxidation (boat still got some sun on lift-I have used rubbing compound, but it's still a little dull), and 3) there is a nickle-sized chip in the gelgoat on the bottom of the boat at the back passenger-side corner that goes just down to the fiberglass. He has estimated that it will take about $300 to recover the two seat bottoms and $400 for gelcoat detailing.

The problem (in my mind) is that he's only offering "$18,000 to $18,500." If these repairs restore the boat to at least "average retail" seems like a fair price would be closer to $20,000 (arv of $20,700 less $700 plus for repairs). MC dealer says to hold out for $20,000 and that $19,500 would be a great price. I haven't even started to advertise, yet. However, I don't want to turn down a sale because I'm putting too much emphasis on the NADA guide or not understanding what "average retail value" means. I just want a fair price. I would really appreciate some opinions from you more experienced folks before I respond back to him.

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 05:20 PM
The OEM vinyl, which is probably no longer available, for those two pieces would run, ballpark, about $197.50 (that's what I paid for mine). Add $11 for a staplegun and whatever you'd guess two hours of his time are worth. Having a driver's seat base made locally of quality marine vinyl would run you around $50 or so. Add a little more for the observer seat base.

I had spot in my father-in-law's 98 205 repaired from where the prop dug into it for $225 for the gelcoat work. If the glass is visible, but not damaged, the repair shouldn't be too difficult. If the glass is damaged, then it can get pricier. I know the quality of gel coat work varies, but this guy did phenominal work for that price.

Your dealer may have a point on holding out for a better price. It is only March. You might look into getting that stuff repaired in the meantime.

JKTX21
03-08-2007, 05:26 PM
It's early March... someone will pay $20K for that boat soon enough, esp since it is a 205. I would hold out if it were me and I was able to.

It would bring at least $20K in Texas, IMO.

rodltg2
03-08-2007, 05:48 PM
sure you may be able to get 1000 more, but if you sell it now its a done deal. no hassles of setting up appts. to see the boat, water test it , people flaking out etc.... not to mention the expense of advertising it. plus if you sell now you wont have the worry of having to sell it and not enjoying your 209... my 2cents

on another note though, tell the buyer its 18500 as is...

hokiecharlie
03-08-2007, 05:50 PM
The OEM vinyl, which is probably no longer available, for those two pieces would run, ballpark, about $197.50 (that's what I paid for mine). Add $11 for a staplegun and whatever you'd guess two hours of his time are worth. Having a driver's seat base made locally of quality marine vinyl would run you around $50 or so. Add a little more for the observer seat base.

I had spot in my father-in-law's 98 205 repaired from where the prop dug into it for $225 for the gelcoat work. If the glass is visible, but not damaged, the repair shouldn't be too difficult. If the glass is damaged, then it can get pricier. I know the quality of gel coat work varies, but this guy did phenominal work for that price.

Your dealer may have a point on holding out for a better price. It is only March. You might look into getting that stuff repaired in the meantime.
I think he talked to MC and was told the skins are still availale until June. Jim Friant who is highly recommended on this sight said he could do the observer seat for $100 if I shipped it to him. There is no damage to the glass. Part of my question is how much do I rely on the NADA guide? Does average retail only apply to dealers? Should I be thinking less than average retail because I'm an individual seller?

hokiecharlie
03-08-2007, 05:54 PM
sure you may be able to get 1000 more, but if you sell it now its a done deal. no hassles of setting up appts. to see the boat, water test it , people flaking out etc.... not to mention the expense of advertising it. plus if you sell now you wont have the worry of having to sell it and not enjoying your 209... my 2cents

on another note though, tell the buyer its 18500 as is...
It's definitely tempting for those very reasons.

Jim@BAWS
03-08-2007, 05:59 PM
I need to draw on the collective wisdom of the forum. I am selling my 1998 Prostar Sammy Duval 205 (see 2/4/07 ad in marketplace) because I just bought a 2002 209. The boat has 471 hours all fresh water, has always been stored under a boathouse roof or in a shed and is very clean. The only add ons are a depth finder, a New Dimension Tower with racks and a Sony CD AM/FM both installed in 2006. There are no engine or performance issues at all. Based on the NADA boat guide, I come up with an "average retail value" of about $20,700 and "low retail" of about $18,400 after adjusting for single-axle trailer, age of tower, etc. The MC dealer sent me a potential buyer. His issues were 1) observer seat seam is starting to split, and he wants to replace cover on driver's seat bottom, 2) gelcoat is a little faded from oxidation (boat still got some sun on lift-I have used rubbing compound, but it's still a little dull), and 3) there is a nickle-sized chip in the gelgoat on the bottom of the boat at the back passenger-side corner that goes just down to the fiberglass. He has estimated that it will take about $300 to recover the two seat bottoms and $400 for gelcoat detailing.

The problem (in my mind) is that he's only offering "$18,000 to $18,500." If these repairs restore the boat to at least "average retail" seems like a fair price would be closer to $20,000 (arv of $20,700 less $700 plus for repairs). MC dealer says to hold out for $20,000 and that $19,500 would be a great price. I haven't even started to advertise, yet. However, I don't want to turn down a sale because I'm putting too much emphasis on the NADA guide or not understanding what "average retail value" means. I just want a fair price. I would really appreciate some opinions from you more experienced folks before I respond back to him.

Bring it to FLORIDA I'll sell ot for 21,000 and give you 20 all day long

The skins and the repairs 6-700 bucks. get your $19500 and go on with life

Jim@BAWS

erkoehler
03-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Jim@BAWS

I'm with Jim on this one, your heading into prime selling season. Wait another 4-6 weeks and get top dollar!

hokiecharlie
03-08-2007, 06:29 PM

Jim@BAWS
Careful, if I don't get any offers soon, I might be showing up at your place.

ezliljenquist
03-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Sell it. Don't lose a willing buyer over a couple grand. I sold for 5 years. 18k is fair.

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 08:26 PM
I think he talked to MC and was told the skins are still availale until June. Jim Friant who is highly recommended on this sight said he could do the observer seat for $100 if I shipped it to him. There is no damage to the glass. Part of my question is how much do I rely on the NADA guide? Does average retail only apply to dealers? Should I be thinking less than average retail because I'm an individual seller?

That tune changes with the wind. First it was no accent colors before 99, then it was no vinyl period from date certain. If you get close to June and haven't sold it, buy some skins. Worst case scenario, you resell them.

The prices I quoted were what I paid for mine. $99 for the observer seat base and $98.50 for the driver's seat base.