PDA

View Full Version : police & fire scanners

milkmania
03-08-2007, 09:38 AM
was in the pawn shop the other day looking at a new police scanner, and was also looking at a couple of Springfield XD series handguns....

but, I ended up in a conversation with the gun guy, he said he worked for a local volunteer fire department.

he said the scanners I was looking at were going to be worthless very shortly because most of our county, city, & fire department were switching over to a new type of communications.... he didn't know the name, just said it was digital, he thought.

I then talked to a cop friend, and he said yes, they were going digital within the month.
what gives? I don't want to buy a scanner that'll only work a few months:mad:

sizzler
03-08-2007, 09:41 AM
tell me if this is a silly question milk.....why do you need one??

sanjuan23
03-08-2007, 09:44 AM
So he can get a jump on all of the "news" stories he tells us about everyday. That and there isnt just a whole lot to do in OK. Just ribbin' ya Milk

milkmania
03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
tell me if this is a silly question milk.....why do you need one??
not silly at all...
somewhat recreational, somewhat usefull.
when we have tornadoes, high wind storms, or bad weather come through our area, we use the scanner to keep in touch with our county sheriff's department, our local volunteer fire dept., etc.

I used my son's handheld scanner the other night when my dumpassed next door neighbor was shooting hid guns at 11:40 pm!:mad:

dispatcher even heard the gun shots over the phone, county deputy promptly arrived.

also, my son has very close college buddies that have gone on to OHP (Oklahoma Highway Patrol), and he likes to know they are safe

sizzler
03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
not silly at all...
somewhat recreational, somewhat usefull.
when we have tornadoes, high wind storms, or bad weather come through our area, we use the scanner to keep in touch with our county sheriff's department, our local volunteer fire dept., etc.

I used my son's handheld scanner the other night when my dumpassed next door neighbor was shooting hid guns at 11:40 pm!:mad:

dispatcher even heard the gun shots over the phone, county deputy promptly arrived.

also, my son has very close college buddies that have gone on to OHP (Oklahoma Highway Patrol), and he likes to know they are safe

fair enough......

JimN
03-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Think of it this way- if the criminals know where the police are, they can figure out where NOT to be. If they're being chased, they know that they need to get outta Dodge instead of thinking that they're safe. If I was a cop, the last people I would want listening to my conversations is the bad guys. I'm sure there will be the odd "police food" (donut) order being made over the new digital system but the general public really doesn't need to know everything the police say. Bad weather reports can be heard on the radio or on TV.

By "keep in touch", you mean that you just listen to them, right? I understand that it can be interesting to hear what's going on but scanners don't transmit. A Walkie-talkie is two way. I'll admit that listening to what's happening can be interesting, though.

He may like to know his buddies are safe but do you really think he's prepared to hear one of them in bad trouble, while it's happening and he's absolutely unable to do anything to help? I don't think hearing a friend being shot and dying in real time will add to the experience of scanner ownership.

milkmania
03-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Think of it this way- if the criminals know where the police are, they can figure out where NOT to be. If they're being chased, they know that they need to get outta Dodge instead of thinking that they're safe. If I was a cop, the last people I would want listening to my conversations is the bad guys. I'm sure there will be the odd "police food" (donut) order being made over the new digital system but the general public really doesn't need to know everything the police say. Bad weather reports can be heard on the radio or on TV.

By "keep in touch", you mean that you just listen to them, right? I understand that it can be interesting to hear what's going on but scanners don't transmit. A Walkie-talkie is two way. I'll admit that listening to what's happening can be interesting, though.

He may like to know his buddies are safe but do you really think he's prepared to hear one of them in bad trouble, while it's happening and he's absolutely unable to do anything to help? I don't think hearing a friend being shot and dying in real time will add to the experience of scanner ownership.

very good points

and when our deputies need secure communication they use their cell phones that we pay for

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-08-2007, 10:32 AM
I don't think hearing a friend being shot and dying in real time will add to the experience of scanner ownership. Good point jim, but I have to admit, the first time I read this statement it just hit my sense of humor perfectly and I laughed. Its just the way you said it. "the experience of scanner ownership" just hit me funny! NO offense to anyone, I realize its a serious comment, the wording just hit me funny thats all. OK, its all good, I am back to normal now. :o

03-08-2007, 10:34 AM
very good points

and when our deputies need secure communication they use their cell phones that we pay for
OH sure bring the tax dollars thing into this now....:rolleyes:

8p 8p 8p

03-08-2007, 10:39 AM
BTW Milk, I see your avatar, you were so much thinner back in the 50's 8p ;) musta been all that door to door delivery:rolleyes:

JimN
03-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Good point UMP, but I have to admit, the first time I read this statement it just hit my sense of humor perfectly and I laughed. Its just the way you said it. "I am back to normal now" just hit me funny! NO offense to anyone, I realize its a serious comment, the wording just hit me funny thats all.

:uglyhamme

trickskier
03-08-2007, 10:47 AM
Hey Milk,
Check this out, this is the scanner I use to listen to drivers talk to their pit crews. As far as I know it picks up digital signals. You can put the frequencies in if you know them or set it up to scan a specified range.

erkoehler
03-08-2007, 11:07 AM
The new system that most PD's up here are going to cannot be picked up by any scanner/radio other than one's programmed for the PD.....overall, it is just safer for the officer's. :)

trickskier
03-08-2007, 11:11 AM
The new system that most PD's up here are going to cannot be picked up by any scanner/radio other than one's programmed for the PD.....overall, it is just safer for the officer's. :)
Makes sense.......

chudson
03-08-2007, 11:13 AM
BTW Milk, I see your avatar, you were so much thinner back in the 50's 8p ;) musta been all that door to door delivery:rolleyes:

Actually that avatar looks alot like me, Dad is that you???

On the serious side I have weather and police scanners, weather is obvious but living in the country when sheriffs cars go by with red lights flashing the police scanners are nice to have to know what and where things are going on!!!

Bad weather reports can be heard on the radio or on TV.

This is true but i've been watching T.V. and listening to a scanner and an allert goes off on the scanner from the NWS and theT.V. and radio reports can come sometimes a couple of minutes later, not good!!!

milkmania
03-08-2007, 11:52 AM

On the serious side I have weather and police scanners, weather is obvious but living in the country when sheriffs cars go by with red lights flashing the police scanners are nice to have to know what and where things are going on!!!

This is true but i've been watching T.V. and listening to a scanner and an allert goes off on the scanner from the NWS and theT.V. and radio reports can come sometimes a couple of minutes later, not good!!!

you just can't imagine how many times I've heard that:rolleyes:

8p

there's been times in the past where I heard a fire call or a fugitive search over the scanner, and earlier this winter heard some kids got into a VERY swollen swift river.
I offered any assistance that I can... located a flat bottemed boat with a motor large enough to overcome the currents.
you take an over stuffed cop in fatigues stomping though the woods in July, and he'll really appreciate when you walk up to him with a gatorade, or bottled water for firefighters, etc....
some may see it as meddling, but I see it as trying to help these guys... I always measure the situation, and split if I'm not needed or wanted.

listening to storm spotters is a whole different situation.... much faster than any other weather service.

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM

Much like us when we at traveling and pulling the boat long distances, Stereo is playing, CB radio is on, Radar Detector is squalking, cell phone conversation in the speaker phone mode and Lynn is watching her little TV, then the battery operated weather radio siren goes off. Sounds like a kindergarden music recital.

pilot02
03-08-2007, 12:31 PM
The scanner you are referring to is digital and is dual truncating. My understanding is that is scrambles the signal digitally and varies the transmissions to prevent interception. Many of our depts went to them a few years back. There are scanners available which will intercept the transmissions, but it's a more involved process than just entering the local frequencies. Too many of the bad guys knew what was going on before the cops got to the scene...

03-08-2007, 12:44 PM
Good point UMP, but I have to admit, the first time I read this statement it just hit my sense of humor perfectly and I laughed. Its just the way you said it. "I am back to normal now" just hit me funny! NO offense to anyone, I realize its a serious comment, the wording just hit me funny thats all.

:uglyhamme
YEEE HAAWW!! Rock on my brutha Jim! :D I am looking forward to knowing more about the ups and downs of scanner ownership!8p

wiltok
03-08-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't know if this link will work - Radio Shack sells 'digital scanners' :
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2036238&cp=2032052&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032052&categoryId=2032052&kwCatId=2032052&kw=scanner&parentPage=search

Bruce
03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
There is a nationwide movement to go to the new frequency. Basically we now have a high band and a low band and they can not talk to each other. My fire dept radio talks to all the other FD'S and dispatch. But I can no longer talk to Shreiffs office or HP. We will convert one day but VERY expensive. They are working on some grants for this. All of this came about after 9-11. We lost a lot of brothers in the fire service because NYPD etc. could not communicate with them.
It use to be fun to listen to all that stuff but, now it just means I have to get my butt out of bed in the middle of the night to go fight a fire work medicals, do extracation and on and on. I do however understand people enjoying listening. Of course the media is always listening. We do of course have to watch what we say when we key the mike with so many folks listening.

Doug G
03-08-2007, 11:05 PM

The only way you can't listen to it is if it is encrypted. Some systems do that. Most of the changes being made are from existing frequencies to 800 / 900 mHz trunked systems. You can scan these but need more information on the system and a scanner compatible with the system.

The harsh reality is that despite what anyone may think very few locations (states, counties, or localities) can actually talk to one another.

IMHO, Scanning your local PD / FD / EMS is common (we know you are listening). And it can be informative. Say a hazmat incident is happening in your area, the best information will be on the scanner not the media.

Just my :twocents:

Monte
03-08-2007, 11:16 PM
The only way you can't listen to it is if it is encrypted. Some systems do that. Most of the changes being made are from existing frequencies to 800 / 900 mHz trunked systems. You can scan these but need more information on the system and a scanner compatible with the system.

The harsh reality is that despite what anyone may think very few locations (states, counties, or localities) can actually talk to one another.

IMHO, Scanning your local PD / FD / EMS is common (we know you are listening). And it can be informative. Say a hazmat incident is happening in your area, the best information will be on the scanner not the media.

Just my :twocents:

Now THAT that makes me want to go out and buy a scanner.......:cool:

X45owner
03-08-2007, 11:33 PM
Bruce said it first. This all came about after 9-11 and "Katrina." Many agencies could not communicate with each other. It is now a federal mandate. Agencies must comply or give up any current or future federal and/or State funding.

Doug G
03-08-2007, 11:53 PM
that's the kool-aid. the implementation is something of another matter.

milkmania
03-08-2007, 11:57 PM
that's the kool-aid. the implementation is something of another matter.

that reminds me of Bush's commercial I hate!

"This war started on my watch, and it's going to end on your watch"

:rant:

Doug G
03-09-2007, 12:02 AM
Sorry. I hate that commercial too.