PDA

View Full Version : No Dealer in KC...very frustrating

badams
03-08-2007, 08:33 AM
Let me start off by saying I'm two time Mastercraft owner. I love the brand. But when I purchased my second Mastercraft in 2006 I was told by the dealer that they would be putting a location in the Kansas City area where I live. The dealer is at the Lake of the Ozarks which is two hours away from my home. I spoke with the owner of the dealership at a recent boat show and he informed me that they have decided against putting a location in the Kansas City area. Now every time my boat needs to be serviced by a licensed dealer I have to drive two hours. Does anyone know who I can contact at Mastercraft to see if there is another authorized dealer in my area I can take my boat to? When I use the dealer locator on the website the Lake of Ozarks dealer is the one that comes up. :mad: :mad: :mad:

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 09:51 AM
You can try plugging in various zip codes on MC's dealer locator at www.mastercraft.com. Other than that, got nothin'.

onlyinboards
03-08-2007, 12:19 PM
yeah, i don't think there is one any closer. bummer. weird that there is no dealer in the area as there are some decent lakes around there.

G-man
03-08-2007, 01:01 PM
I live on one side of Dallas and the dealer is on the other side of Dallas and it can take 1 1/2 hrs to get to him.

Matt L.
03-08-2007, 02:11 PM
Being from KC we got the story from the owner of Extreme Marine.

He showed up at a show only to find out that there was another MC dealer already there. This guy stated that he was setting up a new MC dealership on the Kansas side.

Extreme got pissed and dumped MC because they were letting someone crowd in on his market. He grew sick of trying to sell MC because their boats are extremely over priced.

Don't know what happened to the guy trying to set up in Kansas. Looks like that didn't happen.

He was already sick of the pricing issue so I think the other guy was the end of it for him.

That is how it was told to us.

Later,

Matt

chevy08bud
03-09-2007, 10:15 AM
Ozarks dealer is closest, the only other dealers even "close" are in Wichita, KS and Shell Knob, MO, which is at Table Rock Lake.

bbeach
03-09-2007, 02:55 PM
Matt is sort of correct... I used to work for Xtreme Marine... The fact is that MC has strict dealer "areas" they can sell in... SUPPOSEDLY! Steve Francis, the owner of Xtreme Marine was notified that a dealer from Lake of the Ozarks was going to be getting mastercraft... BUT that they were only going to be selling the X-80 due to its sheer size on Lake of the Ozarks... Steve was then on his way home or somewhere one day before the Overland Park Boat show and see the Lake of Ozark dealer haulin in Prostars and XStars, etc to the boat show. MC ended up giving them a full lineup of boats to sell... I believe this was one of the last straws with dealing with MC. I'm sure it was purely business as the owner of Xtreme is buddy buddy with Arne Clowe... Thats pretty much all I know about the situation.

As stated above there is a dealer in Shell Knob, Mo and Dave Williams (the owner) is a fantastic person to deal with! Very knowledgeable and a long time MC dealer...

3event
03-09-2007, 03:39 PM
We're over 90 minutes from the dealer on a good day. There is another choice at 110 mins and another at 140 mins. I would sure like them to be closer. I betcha lots of MC owners are in similar ranges, unless they live in a major metro with major lakes where dealers of all types are clustered around......

G-man
03-09-2007, 03:49 PM
What type of work do you need? warranty maintence on engine or transmission could probably be done by s-m brand dealer that just so happens to use the same brand of engine and transmission. Regular maintenance is done on several brands at or local "N" brand dealer. What other local choices do you have?

Thrall
03-10-2007, 12:34 PM
2hrs from a MC dealer? Wow you have it good! I'm 6+ hrs in 2 different directions on a good day to the 2 nearest dealers (Denver and Phoenix).
Same goes for my sleds too. No Arctic Cat sled dealer and the 4wheeler AC dealer won't order sled parts. Polaris has a sled dealer in Albq, but they have terrible parts service. I went to them 2 yrs ago when I moved back here w/ a list of parts for my RMK (part #'s and all) and the parts guy argued w/ me extensively that they were the wrong parts, even after I explained it's a mod sled and that the clutching, gearing and other things are much diffeent than stock. I left him w/ a list of about $300 in parts that the mgr was supposed to call me back about to order. After a couple days, I called them, they lost the list and hadn't ordered the parts (I did volunteer to pay up front too, knowing they weren't stock parts).
The internet and big brown truck are my friends. Anything I need for the boat or sleds has to come mail order.

Matt L.
03-11-2007, 12:06 AM
Matt is sort of correct... I used to work for Xtreme Marine... The fact is that MC has strict dealer "areas" they can sell in... SUPPOSEDLY! Steve Francis, the owner of Xtreme Marine was notified that a dealer from Lake of the Ozarks was going to be getting mastercraft... BUT that they were only going to be selling the X-80 due to its sheer size on Lake of the Ozarks... Steve was then on his way home or somewhere one day before the Overland Park Boat show and see the Lake of Ozark dealer haulin in Prostars and XStars, etc to the boat show. MC ended up giving them a full lineup of boats to sell... I believe this was one of the last straws with dealing with MC. I'm sure it was purely business as the owner of Xtreme is buddy buddy with Arne Clowe... Thats pretty much all I know about the situation.

As stated above there is a dealer in Shell Knob, Mo and Dave Williams (the owner) is a fantastic person to deal with! Very knowledgeable and a long time MC dealer...

At least I was close! I knew it had some thing to do with KS, since it was the Overland Park show I thought it was a Kansas dealer. Makes more sense that it was the Ozarks getting the other dealership. I think MC should have offered/suggested that Extreme open a shop in the Ozarks before screwing him that way. We always enjoyed going into Extreme and talking with the owner at the boat shows.

The dealer at Beaver Lake, AR is also really good to deal with, on parts at least.

I've got to go to Phoenix to the MC dealer, but the lakes are that way so it isn't much of an issue. Besides I never buy parts from them.

Later,

Matt

bigmac
03-11-2007, 09:58 AM
We're over 90 minutes from the dealer on a good day. There is another choice at 110 mins and another at 140 mins. I would sure like them to be closer. I betcha lots of MC owners are in similar ranges, unless they live in a major metro with major lakes where dealers of all types are clustered around......My MC dealer is only 20 minutes away and has a great reputation -- the main reason I have a MasterCraft instead of a competing brand. Of the top 3 ski boats, I pick the brand mainly on the basis of dealer quality/availability.

Jim@BAWS
03-11-2007, 10:07 AM
My MC dealer is only 2 min away....wait a minute I am a MC dealer.

Sorry

Jim@BAWS

dapicatti
03-11-2007, 05:25 PM
Show off..............

Leroy
03-11-2007, 09:02 PM
I think some dealers offer "drive to you service" for some service items. You may want to check on that. Will certainly be more, but if you want to transfer the drive time to someone else this might work.

Let me start off by saying I'm two time Mastercraft owner. I love the brand. But when I purchased my second Mastercraft in 2006 I was told by the dealer that they would be putting a location in the Kansas City area where I live. The dealer is at the Lake of the Ozarks which is two hours away from my home. I spoke with the owner of the dealership at a recent boat show and he informed me that they have decided against putting a location in the Kansas City area. Now every time my boat needs to be serviced by a licensed dealer I have to drive two hours. Does anyone know who I can contact at Mastercraft to see if there is another authorized dealer in my area I can take my boat to? When I use the dealer locator on the website the Lake of Ozarks dealer is the one that comes up. :mad: :mad: :mad:

badams
03-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Maybe I can add a little more confusion to this "he said, she said" situation. I was actually ordering my 2005 X45 when the whole mess with Xtreme, MC, and Westport Yacht Club (the Ozarks dealer) was going on. I was told by more than one person that MC gave Westport the license for the Ozarks and KC because they committed to selling a certain number of boats. So it was definitely a complete business decision. However, at this point it seems that for customers in the KC market it wasn't a good business decision on MC's part. Who knows, now that Westport Yacht Club has decided not to put a location in KC maybe another one of the boat dealers will pick up the license.

PendO
03-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Maybe I can add a little more confusion .... I was told by more than one person that MC gave Westport the license for the Ozarks and KC because they committed to selling a certain number of boats ...

Heard the same story ... about a different dealer

skeeler
03-14-2007, 01:56 PM
We can help ya, if you like. :D http://www.nebraskawatersports.com

badams
03-20-2007, 10:48 PM
We can help ya, if you like. :D http://www.nebraskawatersports.com

How far are you guys from KC?

skeeler
03-21-2007, 08:53 AM
How far are you guys from KC?
2 hours....give or take.

ksmaristar91
03-21-2007, 06:23 PM
I live in Ottawa, just south of KC. I go to the boat shows and only 1 of the 3 have MC at them, this is a major metro area with lakes around, why wouldnt they push to get a dealer. I have dealt with Marine World in Wichita and they are great, but 2 hrs for items is a bit extreme. All other brand X boats are around and have service, would be nice to say the same about MC.

badams
03-21-2007, 11:33 PM
I live in Ottawa, just south of KC. I go to the boat shows and only 1 of the 3 have MC at them, this is a major metro area with lakes around, why wouldnt they push to get a dealer. I have dealt with Marine World in Wichita and they are great, but 2 hrs for items is a bit extreme. All other brand X boats are around and have service, would be nice to say the same about MC.

Hopefully MC is reading this post.