PDA

View Full Version : Speaker or door?

Monte
03-07-2007, 11:44 PM
Old pic, but its all I have right now. Since I have already gone outside the box once with the interior. Can't make up my mind on whether or not to :confused: keep this door, I oiled it and the frame looks good (teak), inside panel not so good (laminate) I will either have to cover the inside panel with aluminum, a wood veneer???, etc.. Or I can have the upholstery guy make me a panel in which I can put a 10" JL audio I have... + a heavy grill.. I have plenty of sound..w/ 2 alpine 250w amps, and 4 Kicker690i 6x9's.. However a little punch wouldnt hurt.. Advice is greatly appreciated..

Two and a half weeks and this all should be done!!

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 11:53 PM
I like good sound, but am far from an expert on system construction. That said, that spot, from the picture, just seems to be beggin' for a sub.

Monte
03-08-2007, 12:01 AM
I like good sound, but am far from an expert on system construction. That said, that spot, from the picture, just seems to be beggin' for a sub.

I'm not a sound guy either, but the way that console? (good a name as any) looks from the inside, a few exactly cut pieces of plywood could turn that into a box... or some large diameter PVC to make a tube???? Still in the beginning stages of thought on this end..... Thanks for the input:)

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 12:06 AM
Diesel and JimN (among others) can probably walk you through the whole thing. It just looks as if it were made for something like that.

dapicatti
03-08-2007, 12:22 AM
put in a sub....you will love it

Monte
03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
put in a sub....you will love it

Thanks for the input, that is the way I am leaning at this point.. I just need to figure out the best avenue if I do.......

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
It would make a good place for a Porta-Potty!

Monte
03-08-2007, 08:42 AM
It would make a good place for a Porta-Potty!
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme...... The wife would LOVE that....

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2007, 09:14 AM
JL sub cap on backwards and lots of gold chains. :D

On a more serious note what a great place for a sub and you will love that 10" JL.

Mag_Red
03-08-2007, 09:16 AM
I'm voting for the sub too:cool:

milkmania
03-08-2007, 10:04 AM
that spot has SUB written all over it!!!

;)

Monte
03-08-2007, 11:31 AM
that spot has SUB written all over it!!!

;)

Thank's I think it does too......

Does anybody have advice on the box/ tube.. How do I figure the amount of space I will need in either..............

sanjuan23
03-08-2007, 11:39 AM
I have to agree with everyone else. SUB SUB SUB.... Not to mention I cannot wait to see the finished project!

Monte
03-08-2007, 07:37 PM
Does anybody have advice on the box/ tube.. How do I figure the amount of space I will need in either..............

Bump:o..................

JBaker
03-08-2007, 08:34 PM
Thank's I think it does too......

I'd be happy to help you out here. What kind of JL 10" sub do you have? The required airspace depends upon the driver (sub.)

What do you mean by tube? Are you thinking about a ported box or you just mean your box may end up in the shape of a cylinder?

Aside from the fact that your spot would look great with a sub there, it would also be a GREAT place from an acoustical standpoint.

TX.X-30 fan
03-08-2007, 08:45 PM
I'd be happy to help you out here. What kind of JL 10" sub do you have? The required airspace depends upon the driver (sub.)

What do you mean by tube? Are you thinking about a ported box or you just mean your box may end up in the shape of a cylinder?

Aside from the fact that your spot would look great with a sub there, it would also be a GREAT place from an acoustical standpoint.

Well said JBaker, My thoughts exactly. :D

On a more serious note: my subs are under the dash and I think he is right (wow what a great spot for a sub) it would have a nice life in that spot. My subs dont suck under the dash though. 8p 8p

Monte
03-08-2007, 10:07 PM

Thanks J what kind of JL is kind of tough. I'll attach some pics, but there's nothing on the speaker to indicate the type. Maybe the pics will help. It is about 7 yrs old, had it in one of my old cars, I just never put it into another. The magnet is huge. As far as the tube I'm thinking of 10" diameter PVC 1 inch thick (industral drainage pipe). Basically make my own "bazooka" tube:confused: Not sure if that will work...... The other option is to build the box using the structure of the boat, plywood, and lots of silicone...

Doug G
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
First thought that came to mind immediately was also sub! So how old is that fan in the background anyway? Did TMC1 approve that boiled linseed oil?

Monte
03-08-2007, 10:36 PM
First thought that came to mind immediately was also sub! So how old is that fan in the background anyway? Did TMC1 approve that boiled linseed oil?

Believe it or not, the fan was my great grandmothers.... I may have made a cardinal mistake in the picture:o :rolleyes:

JBaker
03-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Well I am not exactly sure which model JL sub that is....the magnet looks too beefy to be an orginal W0, it could be a W1, W2, W4, or W5 (helpful I know..) See if you can measure the mounting depth. That would be from the base of the magnet to the bottom of the mounting/trim ring. Should be somewhere around 4.75" to 5.5". I could probably figure it out if I had that dimension.

As a general rule of thumb, a 10" from back then will work well in a 1-1.25 cu ft. sealed enclosure, and it is usually better to go too big rather than too small, especially when dealing with subs of that era. Don't be fooled by some of JL 10" specs on their current subs. Newer subs (esp. from them) have been designed with the idea of putting a premium on small box enclosures-with the exception of the W7 monster.

The tube isn't a bad idea, but you would probably be wasting a lot of usable airspace around it.

JBaker
03-09-2007, 01:54 AM
One more thought: Are you nervous at all about that foam surround standing up in a boating environment?

mitchj
03-09-2007, 02:15 AM
Looks like a good place to stick a sub....

Monte
03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Well I am not exactly sure which model JL sub that is....the magnet looks too beefy to be an orginal W0, it could be a W1, W2, W4, or W5 (helpful I know..) See if you can measure the mounting depth. That would be from the base of the magnet to the bottom of the mounting/trim ring. Should be somewhere around 4.75" to 5.5". I could probably figure it out if I had that dimension.

As a general rule of thumb, a 10" from back then will work well in a 1-1.25 cu ft. sealed enclosure, and it is usually better to go too big rather than too small, especially when dealing with subs of that era. Don't be fooled by some of JL 10" specs on their current subs. Newer subs (esp. from them) have been designed with the idea of putting a premium on small box enclosures-with the exception of the W7 monster.

The tube isn't a bad idea, but you would probably be wasting a lot of usable airspace around it.

Thanks for that. I meant to hold a tape measure up next to it, but forgot.. I will find out later today, and post it.

Monte
03-09-2007, 08:53 AM
One more thought: Are you nervous at all about that foam surround standing up in a boating environment?

Do you think that's bad?, the boat lives most of the time outdoors. Covered of course, but outside (won't fit in the garage). I guess if it ever wore out I could replace it:confused:

JimN
03-09-2007, 09:03 AM
Monte- the internal volume of the enclosure will be determined by the characteristics of the woofer and the manufacturer can help you with this. They can tell you what internal volume it needs and whether the tube idea will work. The surround will have a problem with direct sunlight but the good news here is that surrounds can be replaced- if it perforates, shut it down immediately (you'll probably hear it when it goes) and the voice coil won't be damaged. Other than that, it should be OK.

I would also make sure the amps are well out of the way of any splashing or dripping water.

TMCNo1
03-09-2007, 09:16 AM
Did TMC1 approve that boiled linseed oil?
That's why it's on the shelf, not a approved teak refinishing product! Beside, he hasn't filled out the proper paperwork for the use permit!

JimN
03-09-2007, 09:19 AM
There's nothing wrong with BLO as a teak finish, as long as it's fresh enough. The problem comes when the teak is outside and gets wet. That's the reason most teak finishes for boats are penetrating oils that don't polymerize (harden).

Monte
03-09-2007, 09:20 AM
Monte- the internal volume of the enclosure will be determined by the characteristics of the woofer and the manufacturer can help you with this. They can tell you what internal volume it needs and whether the tube idea will work. The surround will have a problem with direct sunlight but the good news here is that surrounds can be replaced- if it perforates, shut it down immediately (you'll probably hear it when it goes) and the voice coil won't be damaged. Other than that, it should be OK.

I would also make sure the amps are well out of the way of any splashing or dripping water.

I do plan to install a Bimini, so hopefully I'll get a couple good years out of it, then either replace it or get it fixed. I'll see if I can get a hold of tech support at JL.
The amps are installed on a shelf under/ behind the dash so, I should be fine there... The boat would litterally have to sink to get direct water damage to them. If that happens, well... I've got real problems........ Thanks for the advice....