PDA

View Full Version : Adding a tower to a ProStar 209

smhelms
03-07-2007, 11:09 PM
I have a 2003 ProStar 209 and have bought a New Dimension Tower since it is modeled after the OEM Zero Flex. My problem is that when I went to mount it I have found that the front backing plate on the drivers side is not molded in the correct position. When I lay the holes out according to the diagram and instructions they don't hit that backing plate but match up with the rest of them. I'm concerned about mounting due the stress that will be applied buy towing. Anybody have any ideas what I can do. Is there anything I can go back to MC on? My boat is still under full factory warranty. Thanks in advance for the help.

JKTX21
03-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Seems like every TT member that has bought a ND tower has had problems with the backing plates. I would call ND and let them help you, I've heard their customer service is good.

Mag_Red
03-08-2007, 06:17 AM
How far off is the plate?? Take lots of pics as I may do the same to my 209;)

smhelms
03-08-2007, 10:19 AM
It's not the ND backing plates. It is actually the plate that MC molds into the boat. The PS209 and X-9 are molded the same way. The plate on the drivers side it too far forward that I only caught about 1/8" of it when I drilled the hole. Since it is molded into the fiberglass there isn't a clean line to butt another piece up to it to add to or extend the existing plate. I'm trying to figure out how to rig something to bridge and extend the plate without increasing the stress added by the tower. It is clearly a manufacturing issue at MC and not ND.

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 10:56 AM
I have a 2003 ProStar 209 and have bought a New Dimension Tower since it is modeled after the OEM Zero Flex. My problem is that when I went to mount it I have found that the front backing plate on the drivers side is not molded in the correct position. When I lay the holes out according to the diagram and instructions they don't hit that backing plate but match up with the rest of them. I'm concerned about mounting due the stress that will be applied buy towing. Anybody have any ideas what I can do. Is there anything I can go back to MC on? My boat is still under full factory warranty. Thanks in advance for the help.

This boat owner did a tower install and started a thread and had the same/simular problems that you have. This thread may be helpful, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=13408

DanC
03-08-2007, 11:00 AM
For what its worth, the backing plates (reinforced fiberglass spots) on my 2003 PS209 don't line up very well at all with my ZeroFlex tower bolts. But they are close enough that the bolt and washer are not off the edge of it.
Sounds like you might have a bit of a mess on your hands with more than several ways to go. One obvious answer would be to grind down the fiberglass so you can add more backing plate and then put a stainless steel plate over both sections of backing. I'm sure these guys will come up with some better ideas than the usual "take it to the dealer".

Mag_Red
03-08-2007, 11:38 AM
For what its worth, the backing plates (reinforced fiberglass spots) on my 2003 PS209 don't line up very well at all with my ZeroFlex tower bolts. But they are close enough that the bolt and washer are not off the edge of it.
Sounds like you might have a bit of a mess on your hands with more than several ways to go. One obvious answer would be to grind down the fiberglass so you can add more backing plate and then put a stainless steel plate over both sections of backing. I'm sure these guys will come up with some better ideas than the usual "take it to the dealer".I was going to suggest the same thing but was too lazy to type it out.

smhelms
03-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Dan....Thanks for the reply. I don't trust my dealer knowing that there is no way the tower will hit the plate I at least know what I'm up against and what needs to be done. I think if I build up the back side with a plate and bridge between the one I add and the factory one and bondo it in I can get a solid anchor and distribute the stress. What do you think?

All the others will line up so I should be good. Hopefully I can finish it this weekend.

rodltg2
03-08-2007, 10:27 PM
mine didnt line up either, i just bought some steel plates and made my own backings. i didnt bondo or fiberglass them in though.. no need for that...

smhelms
03-08-2007, 10:51 PM
How is it holding up? Any concerns after you did it?

rodltg2
03-08-2007, 10:56 PM
no problem, ive installed 3 towers, three boats and done all them that way. mc is the only one that had backer plates built in.

DanC
03-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Dan....Thanks for the reply. I don't trust my dealer knowing that there is no way the tower will hit the plate I at least know what I'm up against and what needs to be done. I think if I build up the back side with a plate and bridge between the one I add and the factory one and bondo it in I can get a solid anchor and distribute the stress. What do you think?

All the others will line up so I should be good. Hopefully I can finish it this weekend.

Sounds good to me. If you don't bondo it or fiberglass wrap it, I would at least slap a little epoxy or liquid nails to keep things from possibly walking over the long term. MC seems to think it is worth the cost and effort, unlike the other three boats Rod worked on :D

rodltg2
03-09-2007, 12:17 AM
2 others, one was a prostar197

Farmer Ted
03-09-2007, 07:50 AM
why don't you just build a doubler that will extend past the glassed in plate

what's the size of the backing plate that mastercraft installed

make yours at least that big and center the new one on the mount hole

if the one mastercraft installed is flush you shouldn't have a problem

if the one mastercraft installed isn't flush, you may need to come up with a shim to fill the gap. I would not use anything other than something solid to fill the void as it will not carry the load and you could possibly end up with some nasty stress cracks in your shiny boat.

Here's a drawing,

red is mc plate

gray is oversized backing plate

blue is the shim (if needed)

smhelms
03-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Ted, that was my thought exactly. I'll tac the two new pieces together like a step and epoxy everything to the fiberglass and existing plate. Hopefully stress will distributed enough not to cause any problems. I got the pieces cut and fitted. Torrow will be the big test.

Thanks for the input

SDAhockey21
03-09-2007, 04:49 PM
The drilling seems hard but is actually very easy. The backing plates are what get you....I know from personal experience................

SDAhockey21
03-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I am thinking i should do a FAQ on "How To Install A New Dimension Tower", because I have been geting a lot of PMs on it. East would you add that to your offical FAQ?

Never2old
03-10-2007, 05:00 PM
I mounted a 2002 Zero Flex to my 1998 Poerstar, didn't have any molded in backing plates so I utilized some 1/2" aluminum plate and buttered the face with body puddy and applied them where they were needed. It's worked great, no stress cracks and I've pulled five wakeboards at one time with it. might just look to add a plate where you need it.

singletary209
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
:) Very interested in knowing how this came out :)

ShamrockIV
05-12-2008, 02:36 PM
yeah me too!!!!!

vogelm1
05-12-2008, 07:34 PM
I'll add that I just installed a 2007 ZeroFlex tower on my '05 197, and the only hole that hit a factory backing plate was the front bolt on the rear legs. I picked up some 1/8" rectangular aluminum plates from the local welding shop for a few bucks, pre-drilled a hole in the center of them, gooped them up with enough "kitty hair" body filler to take up any voids and lightly bolted them down (just enough so the filler oozed out a little). After everything cured, I snugged down the nuts and everything seems rock solid. It was a little bit of a pain but not enough to warrant my dealer doing it. Picture is bad, but you get the idea.

vogelm1
05-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Here's another with the whole shabang installed. By the way, my local MC dealer says even having the backing plates is on the 'over kill' side of things. He felt that MC's are built so stout that literally some fender washers would do the trick; but I felt more comfortable doing the back plate thing.