PDA

View Full Version : Bow Lifting Eye Access

chevy08bud
03-07-2007, 08:15 PM
I have a 94 Prostar 205 that I just bought and the bow lifting eye is a little loose. I am wondering how to gain access to the very front of the bow, (light and lifting eye area) so that I can hopefully tighten it up so that it won't rattle around. I'm sure that I'll have to remove some or all of the seat back cushions up there, and if that is the case, how do I do this. Any help on this would be appreciated.

ProTour X9
03-07-2007, 08:21 PM
Our 94 190's was loose once, not badly, we didn't do anything to it.

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
I have a 94 Prostar 205 that I just bought and the bow lifting eye is a little loose. I am wondering how to gain access to the very front of the bow, (light and lifting eye area) so that I can hopefully tighten it up so that it won't rattle around. I'm sure that I'll have to remove some or all of the seat back cushions up there, and if that is the case, how do I do this. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Take a small hammer handle, screw driver handle, broom handle, anything to gain some leverage and protect the lifting eye from damage, Stick the end in the hole in the lifting eye and turn clockwise to tighten it. It will probably only take 1/2 to 1 turn to tighten them normally. DO NOT overtighten and have it pull down on the gelcoat too much, because it will cause stress cracks around the hole.

erkoehler
03-07-2007, 08:54 PM
The lifting ring is supposed to be alittle loose, and have side to side/front to back movement....DO NOT TIGHTEN!

The bow eye should be tight.

chevy08bud
03-08-2007, 12:55 AM
Is it supposed to be loose because if it is used for its intended use and it were tight, then it would crack the gelcoat or what?

erkoehler
03-08-2007, 12:56 AM
Is it supposed to be loose because if it is used for its intended use and it were tight, then it would crack the gelcoat or what?

Yes, that is exactly right.

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 11:40 AM

The lifting eye does not attach to the deck fiberglass, but goes through a hole in the deck and into a threaded dowel that is part of the backing plate for the boweye. I placed a big O-ring on mine and lightly tightened it down over 15 years ago and for some reason it has not cracked the deck and it does not rattle. This was all discovered when I changed out the short boweye when installing the long boweye for the Boat Buddy and I had to disassemble everything, then put it back together.

JKTX21
03-08-2007, 11:45 AM
Harold, this might be blasphemy, how often do you or family ski behind your B.A. Prostar?

chudson
03-08-2007, 11:57 AM
Since we're talkin about lift rings my lift ring is back near the window where I see most up close to the lights, that shouldn't make a difference should it?

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 12:05 PM
Harold, this might be blasphemy, how often do you or family ski behind your B.A. Prostar?
Every weekend, either Saturday or Sunday and the occasional weekday trip between early April and late October weather permitting, usually 15 to 20 times a year, plus we attend MC reunions and events during the summer too. Our married daughter skis a few times a year, but mostly cruising, picnicing, visiting friends who live and have a slalom course at the lake and talking to other boat owners. All in a days fun on the water.

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Since we're talkin about lift rings my lift ring is back near the window where I see most up close to the lights, that shouldn't make a difference should it?

You totally lost me on that question.

chudson
03-08-2007, 01:48 PM
You totally lost me on that question.

In your picture the lift ring is near the front lights, mine is about a foot in front of the windshield. Once when lifting it there it looked as if it could have pulled through the fiberglass and I was wondering if it is more solid at the front than back near the windshield?

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 03:41 PM
In your picture the lift ring is near the front lights, mine is about a foot in front of the windshield. Once when lifting it there it looked as if it could have pulled through the fiberglass and I was wondering if it is more solid at the front than back near the windshield?

To be honest, I have never seen one like that, that I can remember, Sorry!

chudson
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Looking at all the pictures on here of the older boats I haven't seen one like that either, guess I got a rare one. Thanks:cool:

chevy08bud
03-08-2007, 04:17 PM
Even if I don't tighten up the lift ring, how do I take out all of the seat back cushions in the bow area on my boat?

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 04:33 PM
Even if I don't tighten up the lift ring, how do I take out all of the seat back cushions in the bow area on my boat?

You mean to get to the rear lifting rings?

The seat lifts out. There's a panel behind it. Easy to remove. Then, it's just a matter of removing the gas tank. 8p

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 04:34 PM

I don't have bow cushions, so I'll have to pass that part!

Monte
03-08-2007, 04:41 PM
I'm sure that I'll have to remove some or all of the seat back cushions up there, and if that is the case, how do I do this. Any help on this would be appreciated.

I wouldn't do that unless it is absolutly neccessary. Those are held in by little plastic screw looking things that push in. Over time they can become brittle, and will break. The only way to replace them is to remove the skin replace the push-in pin, then re attach the skin to it's backing.. could be trouble IMHO......

chevy08bud
03-08-2007, 04:43 PM
Not the back lift rings, the bow lift ring or eye in the front or bow of the boat. How do you take the upholstered pieces of foam out of the bow area that are affixed to the fiberglass?

chevy08bud
03-08-2007, 04:44 PM
Thanks Monte, that was what I was looking for.

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 04:45 PM
If you can, they are probably held in place by through bolts. To tighten that piece, take a rubber handle of a hammer and put it through the eye to turn it. I tightened mine just enough to snug it up to the washer so it didn't bounce around as it had loosened up over time.

Like Erk mentioned, I've been told by at least one mechanic that they are supposed to have a little play in them. If I ever need to lift my boat with the rings, I plan to investigate that a bit more. But for now, I like it snug.

Monte
03-08-2007, 04:46 PM
Thanks Monte, that was what I was looking for.

Anytime my co Jr fan:)

Jim@BAWS
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM

DO NOT TIGHTEN... it is designed to be a little loose for lifting reasons

Jim@BAWS

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I wouldn't do that unless it is absolutly neccessary. Those are held in by little plastic screw looking things that push in. Over time they can become brittle, and will break. The only way to replace them is to remove the skin replace the push-in pin, then re attach the skin to it's backing.. could be trouble IMHO......

Monte, I could be wrong, but I was looking under there recently and some of the cushions (the front base cushion at least) seemed to be through bolted as opposed to the plastic clips like you see in the gunwhales and walk through.

Monte
03-08-2007, 04:58 PM
Monte, I could be wrong, but I was looking under there recently and some of the cushions (the front base cushion at least) seemed to be through bolted as opposed to the plastic clips like you see in the gunwhales and walk through.

I could be wrong as well, but that is how mine is set up, now the seat cushion in the very front of the bow lifts, and there is a bow storage compartment.. THAT bolts in with six screws attached to a hinge/ to the cushion.
The only way to find out I guess would be to take the bottom seat cushion off, and snake your arm up behind the cushion and feel around for bolt/ pin....:confused: Chevy08bud let us know for future reference..

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 05:04 PM
The bow storage (nose storage) with the hinged cushion didn't appear until at least 96. The prior setup had two seatback storage (on hinges) and two cushions that lifted out. Then, there are four fixed cushions (3 along the side and one in between the two seat bases that lift out). That last one is the one that I think is through bolted. To check, you'd need to lift one of the removable cushions and snake your hand up there. Watch out for the glass splinters (speaking from experience).

chevy08bud
03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
The very front and center bow cushion does bolt down (2 bolts), but no access beyond that. Solid fiberglass under that. As far as the seat backs go, I'll probably just forget about it. I might tighten the eye up a little bit, but if I ever decide to lift from it, I'll probably loosen it back up a bit and go from there. Although I don't anticipate ever lifting the boat overhead.