PDA

View Full Version : Boat Buddy Repair

sixysixss
03-07-2007, 03:15 PM
I want to remove the Boat Buddy from my trailer to add carpet like TMC No. 1 and others. The question I have for you is what is the proper way to raise the front of the boat from the trailer so that the Boat Buddy can be removed? Thanks.

TX.X-30 fan
03-07-2007, 03:22 PM
I want to remove the Boat Buddy from my trailer to add carpet like TMC No. 1 and others. The question I have for you is what is the proper way to raise the front of the boat from the trailer so that the Boat Buddy can be removed? Thanks.

Need mine off to. :popcorn:

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 03:24 PM
You might be able to put it on a slope and loosen your winch a bit (if you trust your winch). I've had mine off for a while and will be carpeting soon Harold, what glue did you use again?

jraben8
03-07-2007, 03:29 PM
I waited until the boat was launched. Parked the truck and trailer. Applied the glue and carpet so that it could dry before the boat was back on it.

Loaded the boat then trimmed the carpet.

I used some extra spray upholstery glue that we had. It was leftover from replacing/installing a headliner.

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Hook the trailer to your tow vehicle, otherwise the jack will likt the trailer, then with a bottle jack or a roll around jack, jack the front of the boat up a couple inches to clear. Use a piece of wood wrapped in rags/towels after you cut a small V in the wood to prevent the keel from sliding off the wood and center the V over the center of the jack pad,
OR,
Get a new replacement shroud and carpet it, then the 1st time you go to the lake, replace it then when the boat is off the trailer, takes less than 5 minutes. Then clean and carpet the original shroud and have as a spare if you ever need one for whatever reason.

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
You might be able to put it on a slope and loosen your winch a bit (if you trust your winch). I've had mine off for a while and will be carpeting soon Harold, what glue did you use again?

3M High-Tack #76 Spray Adhesive. Spray both the carpet and the shroud, let it dry very good for at least 1/2 hour in the sun, then stick together like contact cement. $11 + a can at Ace Hardware, IIRC. This is some serious sticky stuff and clean up with lacquer thinner. Mine has been glued for 9 years now!

TX.X-30 fan
03-07-2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks TMC#1 sounds easy.

sanjuan23
03-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Dumb question of the day but are you all referring to the changing the carpet at the forward V of the trailer??? I guess I am thinking Boat Buddy = little grey thing that scratches the front of my boat.

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 03:50 PM
Thanks TMC#1 sounds easy.

I use Meguiars spray wax on the carpet about twice a year and keep the bow waxed good so it just slides with little or no friction.

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 03:51 PM
Cool, Harold. I think that's what I have (except it's number 90 "high strength").

John, this is not the v-bunk, this is the boat buddy.

sanjuan23
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Picture??? I guess this afternoon is really dragging on no wind beautiful day and no boat :(

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 03:53 PM
Dumb question of the day but are you all referring to the changing the carpet at the forward V of the trailer??? I guess I am thinking Boat Buddy = little grey thing that scratches the front of my boat.

The Boat Buddy to prevent from marking the bow when loading or unloading.

sanjuan23
03-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks Harold!

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE=east tx skier]Cool, Harold. I think that's what I have (except it's number 90 "high strength").

[QUOTE]

That's fine and will work great. I've used it before, I had to switch if they were out of the other I wanted. Most of the cheap Elmers or Duron, just won't do the job, but is fine for light gluing and dry conditions only, cause I learned the hard way!

sixysixss
03-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the info Harold!

shepherd
03-07-2007, 05:55 PM
You carpeted your Boat Buddy???? :confused:

Wow. I guess I have another thing to add to my list... :rolleyes:

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
I cut patterns for mine last week. I hate cutting patterns. Harold's looks like one piece of carpet.

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 07:27 PM
I cut patterns for mine last week. I hate cutting patterns. Harold's looks like one piece of carpet.

Doug, I used (1) 4" x 8" piece of carpet and cut a slit where the channel is for the boweye to go up to where the channel stops. I taped out and papered the area I wanted the carpet to stick on the shroud, spray glued it and then coated the back of the carpet all over. Then when I applied the carpet to the shroud and it only stuck where the glue was on the shroud after the paper and tape was removed, then trimmed away the excess carpet with a small sharp pair of scissors and a X-acto knife. Then I attached the weave part of self adhesive velcro along the front and sides of the carpet on the shroud to dress up the edges. Hope that explains it!

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 07:30 PM
It does. Having already cut the patterns, I'll just go that route. I'll also be taping the top side of the carpet so it doesn't get any glue in the fiber.

milkmania
03-07-2007, 08:39 PM
I've used a bottle jack to lift the boat enough to work on the boat buddy, and also to replace the forward most V-bunk carpet & plywood.

my 91 PS 190 uses a tongue that extends under the front keel of the boat, and the extended eye used by the boat buddy worked out great.

pic below