PDA

View Full Version : Kohler vs. Briggs

ski_king
03-07-2007, 02:30 PM
I think I am about to buy a new tractor to mow the yard, etc.

Same tractor is available with a Kohler 26 HP v-twin and a Briggs 26 HP v-twin. From past experience I thought the Kohler was the engine of choice, now several people are telling me to stay away from them and go Briggs.

Any input?

I am looking at Craftsman, was wanting a Deere, but couldn't see paying $1500 plus more for a equivelent tractor. I see Deere is now using Kawasaki engines on their non Lowes and Home Depot tractors.

ski_king
03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
A search may have answered my question.
http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5190&highlight=kohler

Thanks Milk, you may have saved me.

EricB
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Ski-King;
I deal with both engines in an OEM fashion. Both have their good points and both have their bad. As an average consumer use goes, either one will suffice and will do a good job for you.
The better determining factor should be the product as a whole. Pay more attention to the warranty and the ease of obtaining service for the product.

Mag_Red
03-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I have a Scagg Turf tiger Zero turn. 26HP Liquid cooled Kawaski. Best $$ I ever spent. 62" cut, they have smaller models, but I have mowed 5 acres for the past 5 years with zero problems! Starts every time,takes 1 1/4 hour to do the job. Like everything else...you get what you pay for. The neigbor bought a 42" craftman and it has been nothing but JUNK! Sure mine cost $7000, but it will probably be the last mower I'll have to buy. Did I mention how much fun the zero turns are?????:steering:

rstitson
03-08-2007, 05:13 PM
I have a kohler single on a cub cadet. It is strong but starts very hard in the cold.... now I keep it in the garage instead of a shed as I snow blow. I used to not like briggs and stratton but the new ones are really tough. I have a rototiller with a small briggs and straton on a troy bilt.. Stays outside rain whatever. Always starts used hard 5 years running. I would go with either but be aware there are several different qualities of briggs, make sure the cylinder is cast iron or has cast iron sleves.

michael freeman
03-08-2007, 05:32 PM
I have a Scagg Turf tiger Zero turn. 26HP Liquid cooled Kawaski. Best $$ I ever spent. 62" cut, they have smaller models, but I have mowed 5 acres for the past 5 years with zero problems! Starts every time,takes 1 1/4 hour to do the job. Like everything else...you get what you pay for. The neigbor bought a 42" craftman and it has been nothing but JUNK! Sure mine cost $7000, but it will probably be the last mower I'll have to buy. Did I mention how much fun the zero turns are?????:steering:

I have the Hustler Super Mini Z with the Kawaski 29HP and love it. Startes everytime and I love the Zero turn set up. Only problem I have is I need a bigger yard. ;)

BriEOD
03-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Bought a tractor last year and went with the Kohler. Heard some horror stories about B&S lately.

Laurel_Lake_Skier
03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
I see Deere is now using Kawasaki engines on their non Lowes and Home Depot tractors.[/SIZE]
John Deere has been using the Kawasaki enginges for quite a while on their lawn tractors. The one I got 15 or so years ago has one. As has been said, the general rule of getting what you pay for holds true for lawn tractors as well as boats. Just like I'd buy another MC, if I ever need to get another mower, it'll be a JD.

mitch
03-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Kohler......

Leroy
03-08-2007, 07:57 PM
It seems like BS has gotten their quality under control and in general doing pretty good.

whitedog
03-08-2007, 10:27 PM
Either or will do just fine, just do the maint. FYI craftsman and the lower end JD are built by MTD. They build most low and mid cost traditional tractor type mowers. IIRC Simplicity and Cub Cadet are still built independently. Just buy up one level from the base model. The zero turn mowers are great. Scagg, and Farris build some of the best models up to 100" cut and 42hp diesel.

We have a 40 yo simplicity with a 12 hp briggs that still runs strong.

pilot02
03-09-2007, 10:01 AM
Not sure about the above comment on the Craftsmen as every one we've ever owned was built by Murray, not MTD. May be a regional issue there though as I do know that when I worked for Walmart, our bottom of the line push mowers were built by both company's then the remaining portion of the line was dictated by territory. Note that I have not been with the company in 2 yrs, so things could have changed.

uncleboo
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Go with the Kawasaki engine....B&S has been known to throw a rod. I have a John Deere with the Kawasaki based upon the advice of many who are in the know about those lawn tractors.

ski_king
03-09-2007, 03:10 PM
From what I can tell, the new higher end Craftsman are not made by MTD, not sure what the company is, but it is the same as the Husquavarna.

Not sure what I am going to do. Not crazy about paying almost 5K for a JD.
I may just buy a new $350 push mower and be done with it. and save the money for my MC.

whitedog
03-09-2007, 05:40 PM
Did some checking and your are correct from upper mid level to high end the craftsman are from other manufacture. Not sure who but def better quality. Whatever you buy get at least a mid grade level. The deck will last much longer.

whitedog
03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
Check out these for versatility.

http://www.ferrisindustries.com/

Workin' 4 Toys
03-14-2007, 12:43 AM
From what I can tell, the new higher end Craftsman are not made by MTD, not sure what the company is, but it is the same as the Husquavarna.

Not sure what I am going to do. Not crazy about paying almost 5K for a JD.
I may just buy a new $350 push mower and be done with it. and save the money for my MC.
You are going to throw in the towel on a tractor because you can't decide Briggs or Kohler?:confused: I'd be alright with either.
And as for the JD, I've seen most of them are kawi's (gas) old and new.

ski_king
03-14-2007, 08:34 AM
Bought it last night, got the Kohler.

Dbuck
03-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Actually, MTD, Yard Man, Troy Bilt, Cub Cadet, and White are technically all built by MTD because they own those brands.

I was in the retail end of the business for a lot of my life but have been out for several years so I went to their web site and checked.
I used to pick up MTD's at their factory and the Cub Cadet trucks would be backed up to the dock.

MTD has long made different types of equipment to different standards depending on the merchandiser. Obviously the $849 mower at a mass merchandiser is a little different quality from the Cub Cadet.

I had a 2004 lower end JD with a Kohler and now have a bigger lower end JD with a Briggs.

I think you'll like the Kohler; to me they have always been a little upscale from Briggs, but I have seen some Briggs engines take some hard use. Before the 04 JD, I had an Ariens that I bought new in 1991 with an 18hp Kohler that was still running in 2004(and didn't use oil) when the hydrostat gave up the ghost.

Dean Witmer
03-14-2007, 06:59 PM
I bought a Husky with a 26hp Kohler last year and love it. It has a 54" cut and does a great job on the lawn and evens pulls the boat. You made a good choice.

milkmania
05-21-2007, 12:22 PM
Bob,

locally, (and probably other places) have a scag Freedom Z with 26hp B&S for $4999.00
http://www.scag.com/freedomz/freedomz.html

know anything about them?

Homeowner Warranty*
The FreedomZ has a 3-year Limited Warranty when used in an estate or homeowner application. This warranty covers manufacturing defects for three years, including parts and labor (excludes wear items).
http://www.scag.com/freedomz/images/FreedomZ-450.jpg

same price for the Dixie Chopper Silver Eagle http://www.dixiechopper.com/models_SE.php