PDA

View Full Version : Towing S&S to Captiva Island, Fla

parrish1
03-07-2007, 02:28 PM
We will be towing our 93 Stars and Stripes to Captiva Island outside of Ft Myers for spring break with the kids. The house we have rented has a lift and fresh water available to flush. I have come a long way as to even think about putting the S&S in salt water but have now become convinced that with proper precautions such as Salt Away, etc that it should be fine. My question is does anyone have any knowledge of this area and can you give me some ideas of areas in the bay/waterway that skiing/boarding might be good. thanks for any help.

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 04:05 PM
Red or Blue?

Mag_Red
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Red or Blue?:confused: Does it matter? Do the Red boats require more precautions???

onlyinboards
03-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Lived in the area for about 8 months, but never went boating one time. Captiva is nice though, you should have a good time. Sorry i am not more of a help!

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 04:24 PM
:confused: Does it matter? Do the Red boats require more precautions???

I wouldn't think it would matter. I just like those boats and was curious. I don't think I could bare to put either color in salt water.

Datdude
03-07-2007, 04:53 PM
I don't think I could bare to put either color in salt water.

Same here..........................:o . It would always be in the back of my mind that my boat was in salt.

Good luck if you do take it and enjoy the trip:cool:

Slinkyredfoot
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
We will be towing our 93 Stars and Stripes to Captiva Island outside of Ft Myers for spring break with the kids. The house we have rented has a lift and fresh water available to flush. I have come a long way as to even think about putting the S&S in salt water but have now become convinced that with proper precautions such as Salt Away, etc that it should be fine. My question is does anyone have any knowledge of this area and can you give me some ideas of areas in the bay/waterway that skiing/boarding might be good. thanks for any help.

Well you have two choices, the back bay or east side of Captiva towards Pine Island or the Gulf of Mexico, the gulf is always rough There are some fair skiing areas on the leeward side towards Pine Island Sound, but definitely get a map of the water level in this area. Depending on the tide you can be fine or ground your a boat very easily. Ask the locals also, they always seem to know....

atlfootr
03-07-2007, 04:58 PM
We will be towing our 93 Stars and Stripes into saltwater Saywhat, :eek3::eek3::cry:
btw, Banana George made a movie there called whatelse-
"Captiva Island"

parrish1
03-07-2007, 06:30 PM
ETS, its blue. Got me thinking about water levels, tides, etc. I do have charts and tide levels on our dates but I am certainly not experienced in waters of this kind. We should have a good time---if for nothing but the adventure but I sure would like some direct info on where to go to get the best water that is within reasonable distance. :cool:

shepherd
03-07-2007, 06:42 PM
I took my PS190 down to the Keys for 10 days once. All salt water. She looked like this when I got back. :noface:

shepherd
03-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Just kidding. Have a great trip. Watch out for the shallow water!

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 06:46 PM
LOL! Good on Mr. Shepherd.

parrish1
03-07-2007, 07:49 PM
As for SALTWATER... I promise to not allow a grain of salt to remain on the S&S overnight. It will be flushed to the max and babied more than ever. It will not sit in salt unless under power. I should have so many coats of wax on it that nothing will stick. It will remain in prestine condition or it will sit on its trailer. I just cant pass on the opprotunity to have the ultimate boat in the ultimate setting.
Can I PLEASE take it now???
BTW we are trailering from Memphis--thats alot of miles but 82 degrees and sunny is the projected forecast.

Jim@BAWS
03-07-2007, 08:04 PM
There is more than a boat to clean

The trailer needs as much attention if not MORE
Salt has a tendency to go in and stay in places you cannot get to

Bring lots of WD-40

Jim@BAWS

parrish1
03-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Sorry I didnt mention the trailer. Maybe I can get a forklift to put it in for me. If not only 2 dunks in saltwater. I will be flushing it as well using hose fixed with salt away mixture.
Jim, tell all areas you'd recommend using the wd 40 on. I need some encouragement here. I think some wouldnt think twice about putting their boat in a mildew, moisture ridden boathouse with cover on, and never wipe it down, yet they hoot and hollow of the thought of saltwater. I still think if done properly you wont see any residual effects from and 1 week vacation in saltwater enviroment.

east tx skier
03-07-2007, 08:24 PM
As for SALTWATER... I promise to not allow a grain of salt to remain on the S&S overnight. It will be flushed to the max and babied more than ever. It will not sit in salt unless under power. I should have so many coats of wax on it that nothing will stick. It will remain in prestine condition or it will sit on its trailer. I just cant pass on the opprotunity to have the ultimate boat in the ultimate setting.
BTW we are trailering from Memphis--thats alot of miles but 82 degrees and sunny is the projected forecast.

Another thing to consider is if, I shudder to think, you ever sell it, you can't honestly say, "never been in salt water." That's a deal killer for a lot of buyers.

Archimedes
03-07-2007, 08:29 PM
Another thing to consider is if, I shudder to think, you ever sell it, you can't honestly say, "never been in salt water." That's a deal killer for a lot of buyers.

Honesty? Boat ads? ETS, you must not read too many used boat ads. :D

BriEOD
03-07-2007, 09:08 PM
I think some wouldnt think twice about putting their boat in a mildew, moisture ridden boathouse with cover on, and never wipe it down, yet they hoot and hollow of the thought of saltwater.
Hear what you're saying but don't agree. Salt water is a killer. The chemistry: NaCl and Fe unfortunately mix real well.

For the record, I think you are NUTS! That is a highly desireable boat and you are going to put it in pure salt water...ouch!! Can't you rent something?

shepherd
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I just cant pass on the opprotunity to have the ultimate boat in the ultimate setting.

I agree parrish. I would never be so anal about my boat that it would prevent me from enjoying it. When I took the PS 190 to the Keys, we had a great time.

parrish1
03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
ETS, I didnt buy the boat to sell it. If I am looking for an asset that I cannot use then it will go to the stock market, undesireable real estate, jewelry, and a list of other unenjoyables. So my kids dont like it that they inheret a 93 S and Stripes that has been miticulously maintained yet it saw saltwater once??????? Some of us need to learn to enjoy, use it, maintain it. Ironically, maintaining it is one of the most enjoyable facets of owning a boat for me. So my block rusts, so my trailer falls to pieces, so I get to restore it!!! Even though I dont think thats going to be the case.
I also would rather buy a boat that the owner told me it had been in salt water once or twice than from an owner that says it hasnt yet I really wonder if it had. You have to assume that they all have seen the salt. And believe me if yours was bought used it may have also.

Overdraft
03-07-2007, 11:56 PM
Captiva Island is a beautiful place in the world. Went there 4 years in a row - stayed at the South Seas Plantation which is as well..gorgeous. Be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Green Flash on the road about 1 mile from the point - looks onto a nice little bayou there. The Grouper sandwich is outstanding.

You and I sound a lot alike in that , I am almost anal about maintnence on my toys - yet I have to use them! Be prepared for the anxiety tension on your shoulder for the week you're tooling around Captiva and Sanibel. That of course will pass within 3 weeks of when you get back home with your boat - but I must say, you are a braver soul than I.

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 12:19 AM
Honesty? Boat ads? ETS, you must not read too many used boat ads. :D

Ain't it the truth. Sure, I read a lot, but I haven't had to check the accuracy lately fortunately.

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 12:23 AM
ETS, I didnt buy the boat to sell it. If I am looking for an asset that I cannot use then it will go to the stock market, undesireable real estate, jewelry, and a list of other unenjoyables. So my kids dont like it that they inheret a 93 S and Stripes that has been miticulously maintained yet it saw saltwater once??????? Some of us need to learn to enjoy, use it, maintain it. Ironically, maintaining it is one of the most enjoyable facets of owning a boat for me. So my block rusts, so my trailer falls to pieces, so I get to restore it!!! Even though I dont think thats going to be the case.
I also would rather buy a boat that the owner told me it had been in salt water once or twice than from an owner that says it hasnt yet I really wonder if it had. You have to assume that they all have seen the salt. And believe me if yours was bought used it may have also.

Hey, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. It's not my boat. Put a rib rub on it for all I care. ;) I was just following the topic as it evolved (although I was contributing to a savory threadjack and I apologize for that). I know the thread was really about the place and where to boat, but everybody kept saying salt.

I wouldn't sell that boat either (note that I said, I "shutter to think" you'd sell it above). I'm just saying what a lot of people would ask in that situation. I thought it might be worth considering, but wasn't implying that a ski boat shouldn't be used for its intended purpose. I'm sure you take great care of your boat and wouldn't be surprised if you have one of those engine blocks you could eat off of. But like it or not, agree with it or not, salt is just a deal killer for some (and that could be an irrational fear depending on how meticulous the owner was about it). But if you're never selling, you don't ever have to worry about it. So that's good news.

I'm meticulous with the care of my boat, too, but it gets used, and we all enjoy the heck out of it. I haven't hit the reunions, and I don't have any blue ribbons. Not that there's anything wrong with that. I just don't have the time.

Enjoy your trip, drive safe, and ski hard.

/edit.

Thought this might be helpful. Ryan had this advice about caring for a boat that saw occasional salt water use. The part about the trailer brakes looked like it might be particularly helpful for your return trip.

SALT ONCE IN A WHILE

* Flush and wash the boat with Salt-a-way (or similar) much better than just fresh water.
* Stick the hose in the three openings on your trailer on level ground to flush it out from the inside, and spray down the outside.
* If you still want your brakes to work you should pull the adjustment tab off and flush the brakes too, then of course put the tab back in.

parrish1
03-08-2007, 01:40 AM
thanks eastie, I understand your concerns... I have only this year even given consideration to putting my boat in saltwater. 2 recent deaths in my family has changed my anal retentive behavior enough to say "why not" if it means memories for my 3 kids I'm all for it.
thanks for finding Ryans trailer tips for saltwater. Hope to take some good photos and I hope they dont make any cringe seeing the MC in saltwater.

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 01:42 AM
One other thought about the trailer. In 93, MC wrapped the brake lines in a rubber sheath of one sort or another resulting in rusty brake lines (at least in my case; and now they're stainless steel). If yours are still original, you might want to pay extra attention to that area when it comes time to rinse.

/edit. Just read your post. Take lots of pictures. Thank goodness for digital.

parrish1
03-08-2007, 01:44 AM
Captiva Island is a beautiful place in the world. Went there 4 years in a row - stayed at the South Seas Plantation which is as well..gorgeous. Be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Green Flash on the road about 1 mile from the point - looks onto a nice little bayou there. The Grouper sandwich is outstanding.

You and I sound a lot alike in that , I am almost anal about maintnence on my toys - yet I have to use them! Be prepared for the anxiety tension on your shoulder for the week you're tooling around Captiva and Sanibel. That of course will pass within 3 weeks of when you get back home with your boat - but I must say, you are a braver soul than I.
thanks for the suggestions on Captiva. We will definitely find that grouper sandwich at the Green Flash.

sizzler
03-08-2007, 04:47 AM
last time i was there we ate in 'the bubble room'..great food and awesome cakes......for ribs we went to 'pippins' on sanibel......really nice......for the best prime rib ive ever had we went to the 'lighthouse 'restaurant at Port Sanibel Marina......great setting ....you can cruise up to Rumrunners at cape coral...nice outdoor eating watching the boats........

www.lighthousewaterfrontrestaurant.com

www.bubbleroomrestaurant.com

http://www.capeharbourmarina.com/rumrunners.htm

we rented a boat.......let someone else worry about the salt:D

parrish1
03-08-2007, 08:19 AM
thanks sizzler for the restaurant suggestions. Hope to give them all a try.

mrm2083
03-08-2007, 11:22 AM
I use my boat only in salt and haven't had a single problem. It still looks brand new. All you need to do is hose the sh*t out of with salt away and flush the engine for 10 minutes. Open your engine compartment and spray T9 all over it, everywhere. As far as things like waxing, the salt water doesn't do anything to non, so u have no problems there. I've looked at every part of my boat and these mastercrafts are just was well built as any boat designed for salt. The only thing that isnt is the engine but if only used a few times it wont make any difference at all

mrm2083
03-08-2007, 11:25 AM
By the way i've taken my x2 from miami to key largo on its own bottom for a weekend and then drove it back. Its a boat, that's what it's made for.

parrish1
03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
By the way i've taken my x2 from miami to key largo on its own bottom for a weekend and then drove it back. Its a boat, that's what it's made for.
Thanks for the encouragement. I am really looking forward to navigating the intercoastal a little and using the boat in a totally new surrounding.