PDA

View Full Version : Center Hill Leak

Leroy
03-07-2007, 12:28 PM
Did anyone else read the article on Center Hill Leak? My mom sent a clipping from the Knoxville News. Said they would drop it 6 feet in the next two weeks.

Leroy
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Center Hill Lake

The water level of a large lake in Tennessee will be dropped nearly 6 feet after officials found water leaking into the dam that created the lake. The US Army Corps of Engineers will drop the level of Center Hill Lake (http://www.orn.usace.army.mil/op/cen/rec/) 6 feet by next year.
The lake covers 64 square miles and touches four Middle Tennessee counties. Exploratory drilling found water inside the 58-year-old concrete dam about 50 miles east of Nashville. The dam isn't likely to burst, but water is being released into Caney Fork River as a precautionary measure. The lake drop could leave some marinas and boat ramps well below useable levels. Fishermen, boaters and canoeists are also being warned to stay off the Caney Fork River until the Corps is finished lowering the lake level. The dam was built to control flooding on the Caney Fork, which flows into the Cumberland.

uncleboo
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I read about that....not sure which ramps will be affected by the lower water levels, but looks like I'll be spending more time at Tim's Ford Lake.

Cousin_Jeff
03-09-2007, 03:59 PM
What is the deal with these dams leaking? I first thought that this was confused with the Wolf Creek dam problem on Lake Cumberland. Cats and Dog living together, mass hysteria!

I sure would hate to be a marina owner on those bodies of water. What a pain.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/issues/WOLcommo/media_accounts.htm

Leroy
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
I was checking as we are planning on staying on Center Hill for a week this summer and sounds like good news.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/News_Releases/2006%20News%20Releases/06-47.pdf

sunsational
04-12-2007, 09:34 PM
We ski Center Hll and have a lake house there. The locals at the dock told us a couple of weeks ago that the Corp. had decided to allow the water level go back up close to normal pool for the summer. That was great news! :)

Mag_Red
04-12-2007, 10:27 PM
Look on the good side........at least they aren't lowering it 40' like they did to Cumberland.;)

Leroy
04-15-2007, 08:47 PM
My brother in law says Center Hill is 25 feet low and bass tournament last week had trouble launching. WOW, 25 ft low anyone have any pictures?

Footin
04-15-2007, 08:52 PM
When I lived in Nashville we would go to Center Hill and launch at Hurricane. I can't image that ramp would be useable now.

jakethebt
04-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Also on the bright side, as JF pointed out in the Cumberland link...

When the water drops we can always go treasure hunting!!

caliguyinTN
04-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Doesn't look good. Attached is an Army corps. statement. I guess i'll be trying to find an alternate lake now.

Mag_Red
04-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Doesn't look good. Attached is an Army corps. statement. I guess i'll be trying to find an alternate lake now.That's the same problem theyare having with The Wolf Creek dam at Cumberland. It's just the geography of the region makes it difficult to build a dam that worth a dam! :D They need to get some dam good engineers that are experts at the dam construction. Maybe they aren't using the correct dam cement. Who really knows the dam answers???

caliguyinTN
04-16-2007, 04:09 PM
That's the same problem theyare having with The Wolf Creek dam at Cumberland. It's just the geography of the region makes it difficult to build a dam that worth a dam! :D

Yeah, i've been following that too. I'll have to wait and see what levels end up being the norm. this spring and summer. My next option is Tim's Ford but its about 35 miles further than CH. Plus my MC is stored indoors up at CH, i'm not sure if there is an indoor storage facility at Tim's.

Ric
04-16-2007, 04:21 PM
What is the deal with these dams leaking? I first thought that this was confused with the Wolf Creek dam problem on Lake Cumberland. Cats and Dog living together, mass hysteria!

I sure would hate to be a marina owner on those bodies of water. What a pain.

http://www.lrn.usace.army.mil/pao/issues/WOLcommo/media_accounts.htm I thought about that same question and I think the answer is age... all these lakes are getting old and the dams are showing their age

BIGBADBLUE
04-16-2007, 04:45 PM
Does anyone know what levels they are going to keep it at this summer? This will be a real bummer. I keep my MC at Hurricane, if they take it too low that will be hard to get out of the cove that Huricane is in.