PDA

View Full Version : just how hard are salty roads on the trailer

ironj32
03-07-2007, 10:38 AM
Have a bit of a dilema. I just bought a 2000 xstar a few weeks ago and the seller said i could keep it in his garage till his new one comes. My problem is that i am not sure if it is going to fit in our garage...i've done all the math, diagrams, etc... and it is going to hit or miss by just a few inches. if it won't fit my roommate said she'd build a bigger garage (i refuse to keep it outside and she doesn't want to find a new roommate, plus she was going to build a bigger one in the fall...but she said she could do it by mid april if needed). the only way to tell if it will fit is to actually try it. so just how hard will the salty roads be on the trailer? this boat/trailer is in super good shape and i'd hate to get the trailer all rusty. if i hose her down right away do you think it'd be alright?

ironj32
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
oh yeah, it's about a 10 mile drive and the roads are really messy up here in minneapolis.

No Skeez
03-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Just make sure you hose it down with soap and water as soon as you get it back. In many cases the boats come from MasterCraft to the dealer being towed. Pick as dry of a day as possible, make sure to hose it down, and good luck getting it in the garage!

Sodar
I can really not comment on the affects of road salt on trailers, as I live in SoCal and we do not need to deal with those things! But, I would think that if you drove slow enough, to avoid throwing a bunch of rocks and salt up on the trailer, you will be OK. Just try to soap and rinse the trailer down real well when you get to your place and you should be just fine...

JohnE
If you wash it down well, I don't think there will be any harm. I'd want to know if it fit asap.

Monte
03-07-2007, 10:56 AM
My advice would be to measure the hight with the tower down, the measure the G-door opening. If you do get it out on salty roads wash the heck out of the trailer when you get it home....

RexDog1
03-07-2007, 11:10 AM
If it is 2 or so inches, let the air out of the tires :rolleyes:

Salt BAD…………..

jlf
03-07-2007, 11:15 AM
A one time trip on salty roads is not going to hurt anything. Just wash it down ASAP and you'll be fine. Our boat came all the way from TN in a March snowstorm and it survived just fine. Just as was stated earlier it was towed from the factory to us in the spring. We gave it a good wash job when we took delivery of it and got it home. It showed no signs of trouble or rusting. While salt is hard on everything an occasional trip will not do much damage is cleaned properly and promptly.

ironj32
03-07-2007, 11:16 AM
i know it'll fit height wise...it's the length that's the prob. it's only a 19.25'L x 13.5'W garage. xstar is 20.9' without teak and with the tounge folded in. thanks for your thoughts guys.

erkoehler
03-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Tow the boat, it won't be a problem. Just hose it off when you get it home.

jlf
03-07-2007, 11:33 AM
i know it'll fit height wise...it's the length that's the prob. it's only a 19.25'L x 13.5'W garage. xstar is 20.9' without teak and with the tounge folded in. thanks for your thoughts guys.
the math says it's not going to fit. Are you thinking that you may be able to angle it enough to get it in? How wide it the boat, out x10 fits in but with only a few inches to spare on either side and the xstar is wider than our boat. You may be out of luck both on width and length.

Maristar210
03-07-2007, 11:38 AM

Are you thinking you can angle it and make it fit?

jlf
03-07-2007, 11:40 AM
Are you thinking you can angle it and make it fit?
That's what I was wondering? The width might not fit either, I'm not sure how wide an xstar is but I know our boat is tight and it's narrower than an xstar.

ironj32
03-07-2007, 12:24 PM
the widest part of the trailer 96" will fit through the door with 48" to spair. i attached my diagram...it's kinda like a brain teaser, enjoy! let me know if you get it to fit (with out changing the size of either object).

kdr
03-07-2007, 12:31 PM
Don't forget about the speedo pickups (if it has the airguides). They will add about 4 inches to the length of the boat.

Labatt911
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
The boat isn't a perfect rectangle. It tapers at the bow. This might allow you to swing it in on the angle a bit more. Might buy you an inch or two which might help.

ironj32
03-07-2007, 12:40 PM
i know...you have to just go by the rear corners just the very middle of the top edge...but even then the side of the bow is going to limit how far over i can go. lol, i hope it doesn't fit so she builds a new one!

VTJC
03-07-2007, 12:48 PM
Congratulations on the new boat purchase. Regarding the salt, I would wait until after it rains or many days after salt has been applied to your route. Then wash the boat/trailer well once you reach your destination, as others have suggested. I try not to move my boat in the winter because of road salt.

ironj32
03-07-2007, 12:53 PM
they haven't laid any salt in about a week (but when they did, they laid a crap load...we got 30 inches of snow in 7 days). they are saying there is a chance of rain on friday, hopefully it won't be snow and also hope that it doesn't freeze over night!

Prostar Rich
03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
As others have said one time will not harm the trailer as long as you completely wash it off. If you have your own power washer use that to wash the boat and trailer off.

HTH,
Prostar Rich

jlf
03-08-2007, 08:08 AM
My bad, I thought we were talking about a new Xstar, I reread the original post and see it is a 2000, that just bought you a ton of room in my book!! Good luck on getting it to fit.

mitch
03-08-2007, 08:26 AM
Have a bit of a dilema. I just bought a 2000 xstar a few weeks ago and the seller said i could keep it in his garage till his new one comes. My problem is that i am not sure if it is going to fit in our garage...i've done all the math, diagrams, etc... and it is going to hit or miss by just a few inches. if it won't fit my roommate said she'd build a bigger garage (i refuse to keep it outside and she doesn't want to find a new roommate, plus she was going to build a bigger one in the fall...but she said she could do it by mid april if needed). the only way to tell if it will fit is to actually try it. so just how hard will the salty roads be on the trailer? this boat/trailer is in super good shape and i'd hate to get the trailer all rusty. if i hose her down right away do you think it'd be alright?

Take it home, and keep it there. One time salt ride won't hurt it a bit, rinse it and you're set. Build a quick a-frame for it and throw a tarp over it. That way you can putt around w/ it after work..weekends etc. My .02.
I have the same hull. Have fun and congrats!!

atlfootr
03-08-2007, 08:53 AM
for the strangest reason, I can't see :noface: how salt and trailers mix.

mitch
03-08-2007, 03:27 PM
for the strangest reason, I can't see :noface: how salt and trailers mix.

The only salt you guys see down there is on the rim of your rita glass :D

We're about 20 degrees today and the parking lot at work was a white out after lunch- wind was whipping at 25+ and the damn salt was swirling around the lot, it was ugly!

Ric
03-08-2007, 03:37 PM
My roomate agreed to me adding onto the garage for the very same reason. She also did not want a new roomate!

atlfootr
03-08-2007, 09:11 PM
The only salt you guys see down there is on the rim of your rita glass :D All I can say to that, is "NO Shirt, No Shoes, No Problems :)

Leroy
03-08-2007, 09:20 PM
The salt isn't going to be a big problem.

Nice roommate you have!

JohnE
03-08-2007, 09:26 PM

So, I've been thinking about this thread a bit. Tell your roomate that the TT group said the boat won't fit. Build the bigger garage. Case closed. And post some pic's in the garage thread.;)

WAT8415
03-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Costco has a nice portable car port cover for about $170. I believe it is 10' wide and 20' long, it should hold you over until your roomy builds a bigger garage.

slalomdude
03-08-2007, 10:31 PM
Becareful pulling the boat on slick roads. When the roads are slick its like the trailer has no brakes and will push ya. I pulled two boats from tenn. both times I was trying to beat the weather. but hit it at the last few hours of the drive. The first time in the snow was with the dealers 06' X-2 no big deal their boat :steering: the second was my new 07'tt. yikes!!!! Make sure you waah down you wheels or anything alum.

Thrall
03-10-2007, 12:44 PM
Not gonna fit!
My garage is 20'-4" deep in side dimension and my PS190 fits w/ only 3" to spare w/ the swim deck off and a fold down tongue.
Your X is a 205, right, so it's 1.5' longer and a bit wider and you won't be able to turn it much in the garage if it's a tandem trailer, plus single door on a 13.5' wide garage is probably only 8' wide, tight fit there if it will go at all just to get it thru the door.