PDA

View Full Version : 1990 Maristar 240sc

motomutt
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm looking at a 1990 24 ft. Maristar witha chevy indmar motor. The price seems right but I have a few questions for those in the know about this particular model. Is the 350 enough motor for this boat ? I have a 351 in my 190 and typical to me I always want more motor when it comes to the recreational side of things. Wasn't there a year(s) that the boat cme witha 454 ? Are there any problem areas that are particular to this model. The boat is in TX and I'm in CA so unless I want to pay for a boat doc to take a look at it I'm pretty much going by pics. Any and all info is helpful and it's almost that time of year to put away the snow planks and break out the O'brien !

endl
03-07-2007, 01:51 PM
I have seen pictures of those and one with a 454. Trouble would be trying to find one. I had a 1994 225vrs and the 350 is plenty of motor. Bigger is always better but trying to find the boats with the big motors is not easy and they seem to appear when your not looking for them. The older Maristars are good rec. boats and throw great wakes stock and with Ballast even better. Would not be the best boat for skiing.

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 02:32 PM
I'm looking at a 1990 24 ft. Maristar witha chevy indmar motor. The price seems right but I have a few questions for those in the know about this particular model. Is the 350 enough motor for this boat ? I have a 351 in my 190 and typical to me I always want more motor when it comes to the recreational side of things. Wasn't there a year(s) that the boat cme witha 454 ? Are there any problem areas that are particular to this model. The boat is in TX and I'm in CA so unless I want to pay for a boat doc to take a look at it I'm pretty much going by pics. Any and all info is helpful and it's almost that time of year to put away the snow planks and break out the O'brien !
The 454 during those years was a option.

jraben8
03-07-2007, 02:43 PM
Where in Tx is it? Someone down here may be close and available to have a look at it for you so you can determine whether or not it's worth pursuing.

Matt L.
03-07-2007, 04:54 PM
I'm the proud owner of a 1990 240sc with a HO454. I've had mine for 6 years and it has ~500 hours on it. Great boat! Wakeboard wakes tend to piss off guys with dedicated wake boats because mine is better than theirs for 20% of the cost. Skiing wake is ok if you play with the rope length. Cuddy cabin rules if you have young kids that still nap. Works pretty nice for my naps too.

Mine came from Lake Texamoa via Lake Lanier GA. then to Kansas City and now in AZ.

I would guess that the 350 would be a dog in such a big boat. Mine gets pretty nicely for such a fat pig of a ski boat, but the HO454 helps alot with that. Trailering, docking and picking up people at the dock are all a bit tricky with the closed/cuddy bow.

You've got to get pretty good at flipping it in place and backing it into the dock to pick up folks at the dock. I can spin mine all day and not leave the same spot. A long dock pole w/ hook is a life saver, until the wife lets the 2 yearold play with and drop it in 125' of water!

What is the price? If cheap enough i'd look at dropping a 454 in it. MC says 375 hp on mine.

Later,

Matt

You'll

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 05:42 PM
I'm the proud owner of a 1990 240sc with a HO454. I've had mine for 6 years and it has ~500 hours on it. Great boat! Wakeboard wakes tend to piss off guys with dedicated wake boats because mine is better than theirs for 20% of the cost. Skiing wake is ok if you play with the rope length. Cuddy cabin rules if you have young kids that still nap. Works pretty nice for my naps too.

Mine came from Lake Texamoa via Lake Lanier GA. then to Kansas City and now in AZ.

I would guess that the 350 would be a dog in such a big boat. Mine gets pretty nicely for such a fat pig of a ski boat, but the HO454 helps alot with that. Trailering, docking and picking up people at the dock are all a bit tricky with the closed/cuddy bow.

You've got to get pretty good at flipping it in place and backing it into the dock to pick up folks at the dock. I can spin mine all day and not leave the same spot. A long dock pole w/ hook is a life saver, until the wife lets the 2 yearold play with and drop it in 125' of water!

What is the price? If cheap enough i'd look at dropping a 454 in it. MC says 375 hp on mine.

Later,

Matt

You'll

IIRC, MC had 2 optional 454's, 1@ 375 hp and 1@ 425 hp.

Matt L.
03-07-2007, 10:49 PM

TMCNo1,

That is interesting because I always wondered why I came up with MC info that my engine was 375hp but when Indmar ran my engine Id number they said it was 425hp:woohoo: :woohoo: :firejump: :banana:

Now I'm really pumped! I never really believed Indmar just because that seemed like an excessive amount of hp.

I didn't know that was even an option so I guess I'm inclined to beileve them now.

Motomutt,

If you are serious, go look at it. I flew from KC to Dallas and rented a car so I could go look and drive it. I ran it for 2 hours and took an oil sample for analysis. Smart move for any used vehicle purchase. Checks for lots of wear indicatirs and problems. Better than a compression test. Google it.

Later,

Matt

Maristar210
03-07-2007, 11:39 PM

TMCNo1,

That is interesting because I always wondered why I came up with MC info that my engine was 375hp but when Indmar ran my engine Id number they said it was 425hp:woohoo: :woohoo: :firejump: :banana:

Now I'm really pumped! I never really believed Indmar just because that seemed like an excessive amount of hp.

I didn't know that was even an option so I guess I'm inclined to beileve them now.

Motomutt,

If you are serious, go look at it. I flew from KC to Dallas and rented a car so I could go look and drive it. I ran it for 2 hours and took an oil sample for analysis. Smart move for any used vehicle purchase. Checks for lots of wear indicatirs and problems. Better than a compression test. Google it.

Later,

Matt

No offense at all but if you ran my boat for two hours you would have to own it first. Two hours is a lot to ask a seller to burden IMHO. Just saying...

motomutt
03-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Wow, that's the coolest thing anyone's ever offered (as long as you don't swoop it out from underneath me LOL). It's in georgetown. the ad is on ebay right now. he says he has a new motor because the old one sat for 2 years and needed work ???? so he just threw a new motor in it. new upholstery too. Send me a PM if this works.

motomutt
03-08-2007, 12:49 AM
the big question is : will a big block bolt in directly down the road ?

Matt L.
03-08-2007, 09:25 AM
No offense at all but if you ran my boat for two hours you would have to own it first. Two hours is a lot to ask a seller to burden IMHO. Just saying...

In order to get a proper oil analysis an engine that has been sitting you need at least 2 hours of run time.

I flew from KC to Dallas, rented a car and drove to Texamoa on the TX OK border to look at this boat. I had a bit of burden too. And I told him up front that I required a 2 hour run time for the oil analysis before I agreed to travel to see it.

Don't want to let me run it then my next question is what is wrong with the engine. Besides that, there aren't too many buyers for 240SCs, they are an odd ball boat.

Motomutt,

I think I wasn't clear. I flew from KC to Dallas and rented a car so I could go look and drive it. I ran it for 2 hours and took an oil sample for analysis. "it" meaning the one I own now not the one you are looking at. I think a BB would bolt right up, stringers and mounts likely didn't change, tranny might be different. I think mine is a 1.5 to 1.

Good luck,

Matt

sanjuan23
03-08-2007, 10:33 AM
If you're on your way you might pay this one a visit as well.

www.dallasboats4sale.com

Maristar210
03-08-2007, 10:40 AM
In order to get a proper oil analysis an engine that has been sitting you need at least 2 hours of run time.

I flew from KC to Dallas, rented a car and drove to Texamoa on the TX OK border to look at this boat. I had a bit of burden too. And I told him up front that I required a 2 hour run time for the oil analysis before I agreed to travel to see it.

Don't want to let me run it then my next question is what is wrong with the engine. Besides that, there aren't too many buyers for 240SCs, they are an odd ball boat.

I understand your position but if you told me you wanted to do a two hour test run I would immediately think "joyrider" and be reluctant to do so. Sounds like you also invested a lot of money into looking at a used boat. Were you searching for that specific model only?

endl
03-08-2007, 12:47 PM
Motomutt, not to derail you plan....but I think if your looking for a wakeboard/ski boat you can probably find a 90's Prostar, Maristar, Tristar in the 8k-12k range and have a more sellable boat when and if you trade up. If you are looking for a 24' big boat then that is the boat for you. If that is a new engine is it a Indmar enging or just a replacemnt short or long block??? If its just a replacement block then its most likely not 330hp probably down in the 240-260 range.

Matt L.
03-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I understand your position but if you told me you wanted to do a two hour test run I would immediately think "joyrider" and be reluctant to do so. Sounds like you also invested a lot of money into looking at a used boat. Were you searching for that specific model only?

Yes, I was looking for that specific boat. I don't think too many "joyriders" would make the investment of time and money to fly from Kansas City to Dallas, rent a car, and drive 150 miles. Not to mention that I did pull a sample of oil to send to the lab. Came back with a great report.

Motomutt,

I love my boat, but it is definitely a narrow market. Prior to buying mine, I'd only ever seen 1 bow rider. I've seen a couple since, but not many. They still seem to be holding their value pretty well for such an old model.

Later,

Matt

Maristar210
03-08-2007, 03:53 PM
Yes, I was looking for that specific boat. I don't think too many "joyriders" would make the investment of time and money to fly from Kansas City to Dallas, rent a car, and drive 150 miles. Not to mention that I did pull a sample of oil to send to the lab. Came back with a great report.

Matt

You seem defensive. I was just asking a question. Have a nice day Matt.

wgwollet
03-08-2007, 04:02 PM
motomutt;

Is the 350 MCX enough in the newer Maristars like a 230 vrs? and why would it be OK becuase its fuel injected and more hp?

Bill

CaptCurt72
03-08-2007, 04:03 PM

I bought a 1992 two years ago, and it has been a great boat. I have the 454 with 375 HP. That is plenty of engine for me. I have taken 12 large people out and still get it up on plane. I would vote for the 454, but a good 350 would push it OK.

I went to Boston and trailered it back to Alabama. It is a heavy boat, but my Ford F-150 pulls it fine. There happens to be one just like it on my lake also.

It is a great boat for rough water being so big. Plenty of room up front for two to sleep, but not much headroom. Porta-potty is loved by the womem. Nice when it rains too.

I may sell it this year, getting married. She likes it better than my Four Winns, but I have to put a new lift in the boathouse for the Mastercraft. Tough boat to part with, not many around.

wgwollet
03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
captcurt72

A U of T guy........have you ever skied dale hollow, tn?

Matt L.
03-09-2007, 01:27 AM
You seem defensive. I was just asking a question. Have a nice day Matt.

Sorry I came off that way;) Didn't mean to. Now that I think of it, they (the sellers) thought I was crazy too at the time. They indulged me after I pulled out the hand pump sampling tube and plastic vial. On an engine that has been sitting for an extended period to get a proper read on the oil analysis it needs at least 2 hours of run time to get every thing that has settled out back into circulation.

It is pretty cool technology mainly geared at the high end diesel and aviation markets, but they have wear data on just about every engine. It looks a oil condition, wear metals, blowby, h20/glycol/fuel contamination. If you get a base line you can use periodic testing as a predictor of failure. If you see a particular wear metal you can determine what component is starting to go and prevent additional damage.

Especially good to do on such an old boat.

Later,

Matt

CaptCurt72
03-09-2007, 11:08 AM
captcurt72

A U of T guy........have you ever skied dale hollow, tn?

I grew up in Oak Ridge, Norris Lake, Melton Hill Lake, Ft. Loudon Lake. Went to TTU in Cookeville, but never made it to Dale Hollow. Skied a lot on Center Hill, great lake, deep blue water, sunk a truck there too...
Live on Guntersville Lake/Tennessee River now.

sberry3827
03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Sorry I came off that way;) Didn't mean to. Now that I think of it, they (the sellers) thought I was crazy too at the time. They indulged me after I pulled out the hand pump sampling tube and plastic vial. On an engine that has been sitting for an extended period to get a proper read on the oil analysis it needs at least 2 hours of run time to get every thing that has settled out back into circulation.

It is pretty cool technology mainly geared at the high end diesel and aviation markets, but they have wear data on just about every engine. It looks a oil condition, wear metals, blowby, h20/glycol/fuel contamination. If you get a base line you can use periodic testing as a predictor of failure. If you see a particular wear metal you can determine what component is starting to go and prevent additional damage.

Especially good to do on such an old boat.

Later,

Matt
How much does it cost to have this analysis done? Just curious.

Matt L.
03-09-2007, 03:26 PM
How much does it cost to have this analysis done? Just curious.

Depends on the lab, but usually only $20 - $30 dollars. It gives you a bunch of really nice data.

I used it on a Nissan minivan we looked at in Phoenix. Glad I did! The engine came back fine. But the tranny was a total wreck, lots of Iron (main pump) and a boat load of copper and lead (burned up clutches). Drove fine, but was a tranny timebomb!

Good Luck!

Matt

motomutt
03-10-2007, 12:30 AM
the seller has been pretty straight up about most info but he's probably gettin fed up with 1000 questions. I've been given a quote of $1600 bucks to ship from texas to sacramento (which seems kinda steep). I was looking at the spec sheet and it states that the 454 only gets 47 mph while the 350 gets 40mph. Is this what you've found ? I really like the looks of the stabbin cabbin but am open to an open bow, It doesn't come with ANY extas either. that stuff ads up quick. Soooo... the biggest question is, is the big block worthe the wait. Always more time than money for the best deal. Thanks for everything bros.

Matt L.
03-10-2007, 01:04 AM
http://www.uship.com/shipping/vehicles/

Haven't used them, but might help out. $1600 seems pretty accurate, that boat is a long way from you. Can you send me a copy of that spec sheet? 47 sounds about right. I've done a few things to try and get a bit more out of it, I'm just barely topping 50mph per the GPS. The cabin rules. I paid $14K with all of the soft gear included which helped a bunch. I dropped $1000 into the trailer to for all new brakes (ss disks), runing gear and tires. I also refurbished and repaired all the gel coat and put new decals on it. Every year I get asked what model my "New" MasterCraft is. People just about crap when I tell them it is 16 years old!

I think the Sb is probably adequate, but I wonder what is like off the line. I bet it has a different prop than mine.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/lfootmatt/album/576460762325020119/photo/294928803313170143/0

Good luck,

Matt

Matt L.
03-10-2007, 01:07 AM
And yes that is a brand new Moomba wakeboard boat being towed in by a total POS bayliner.

motomutt
03-10-2007, 02:32 AM
Any Idea when they went to a stern drive on the Maristar ?

FrankSchwab
03-10-2007, 03:08 AM
Hey Matt -
Let me guess on the picture. Outside of Butcher Jones on Saguaro Lake?

H20skeefreek
03-10-2007, 08:36 AM
They didn't. They went to a v-drive for interior room. The Maristar line is sold as an upscale family boat, the v-drive layout makes more sense for a family boat. DD makes the most sense if you are gonna be slalom skiing, but you surely can't slalom behind most of those huge maristars anyway(more than just recreationally anyway), so why not move the engine to the back, make more room up front and make the wake bigger so that families can wakeboard?

bigmac
03-10-2007, 08:50 AM
Any Idea when they went to a stern drive on the Maristar ?There was a rumor somewhere around here that MasterCraft did make an I/O back in the late 70's or so, but that was apparently only a brief transgression. The Maristar is all V-drives these days. MasterCraft still makes direct drives for the hard core slalom skier, but I suspect that the vast majority of their sales are V-drives.

motomutt
03-10-2007, 09:58 AM
My bad. I was way tired and wasn't thinkin straight. I MEANT V drive. I feel like a spode. Were those all the much newer models ? (BIG $)

motomutt
03-10-2007, 10:06 AM
To Matt L. I found the spec sheet on the mastercraft website and find the section that lets you download manuals. I think I actually googled "maristar manual". It's page 41. I'm terrible at this whole "cut and paste" gig. I just wanna go skiing!!! I was kinda currious why it didn't have a H.P. spec. Riddle me this : What's the main difference between say an "Indmar" motor and a standard "street' motor ? I know the electronics and charging system are spark "proof" etc. But are the internals differdnt besideds cam specs yada, yada ?

Matt L.
03-11-2007, 01:13 AM
Hey Matt -
Let me guess on the picture. Outside of Butcher Jones on Saguaro Lake?

Close, That is just off the ramp at Roosevelt Lake looking East.

2 hours door to ramp:)

Matt L.
03-11-2007, 01:26 AM
To Matt L. I found the spec sheet on the mastercraft website and find the section that lets you download manuals. I think I actually googled "maristar manual". It's page 41. I'm terrible at this whole "cut and paste" gig. I just wanna go skiing!!! I was kinda currious why it didn't have a H.P. spec. Riddle me this : What's the main difference between say an "Indmar" motor and a standard "street' motor ? I know the electronics and charging system are spark "proof" etc. But are the internals differdnt besideds cam specs yada, yada ?

Indmar takes a GM Marine Longblock and then puts all of the other stuff on it. So basically they put on everything but the block and heads. It is my opinion that PMC does a better job. They use better components. Sherwod raw water pumps over Johnson, etc, etc. I'm not a expert, but I've been told that the block casting is slightly different than a street engine by more than one person. They said that the water jackets are cast a bit heavier in order to better deal with the extreme temperature differentials encountered in a boat engine. Think about hitting a completely heat soaked engine with 50 degree lake water. It makes sense that thye would have cast things a bit heavier to deal with that. Water pump has different guts too (SS) and everything is painter a lot better. You got the flame/spark arrestor stuff.

Be sure to ask the seller if the trailer brakes are in working order. I didn't! Dallas to KC pulling a big boat w/ no brakes sucked!!!

Bidding ended! What is the status! Are you going to get it?

Later,

Matt

Leroy
03-11-2007, 01:31 AM
OK, threadjack, you got me interested.....I grew up in Lenoir city near Cross Eyed Cricket, went swimming at Melton hill swimming area all the time from 74-80 and then went to TTU from 78-83. We normally go to Center Hill at Edgar Evan condos for week every summer. Friend's father in law designed Edgar Evans Marina.

I miss Tennessee!!!

I grew up in Oak Ridge, Norris Lake, Melton Hill Lake, Ft. Loudon Lake. Went to TTU in Cookeville, but never made it to Dale Hollow. Skied a lot on Center Hill, great lake, deep blue water, sunk a truck there too...
Live on Guntersville Lake/Tennessee River now.

motomutt
03-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Matt L, Iwas trying to get some more info from the guy yesterday before bidding ended. I put it plainly to him that if the boat were taken to a boat shop in his area and any deficiencies were found, would he cover them ? He said everything was just as he said in the auction and would cover any repairs that weren't. Well, "the hull is in great shape,considering it's age" leaves some subjectivity in my opinion. No further clarification. Honestly i think it's a good boat for the price but I think I'll hold out for the big block. That's a lot of boat and if it was underpowered I'd be bummed. I'll keep looking but the SC is getting hard to find in cherry shape. My Prostar 190 is 18 years old and looks / drives as new. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to my 7 toys. Q-tip clean. Everything runs perfect all the time. it's a curse !

Matt L.
03-12-2007, 01:40 AM
Matt L, Iwas trying to get some more info from the guy yesterday before bidding ended. I put it plainly to him that if the boat were taken to a boat shop in his area and any deficiencies were found, would he cover them ? He said everything was just as he said in the auction and would cover any repairs that weren't. Well, "the hull is in great shape,considering it's age" leaves some subjectivity in my opinion. No further clarification. Honestly i think it's a good boat for the price but I think I'll hold out for the big block. That's a lot of boat and if it was underpowered I'd be bummed. I'll keep looking but the SC is getting hard to find in cherry shape. My Prostar 190 is 18 years old and looks / drives as new. I'm just a perfectionist when it comes to my 7 toys. Q-tip clean. Everything runs perfect all the time. it's a curse !

You sound like me! I love getting the "so what madel is your new MasterCraft?" They are unique enough that when it looks perfect people assume that it is a new model. I love the floored look I get back from them! A few years back I could have gotten a 93 without an engine for like $5K, should have done that and sold mine to build up a 502.

I'll let you know if I see anything out here in AZ. I've seen a couple, but they were that nasty light teal green.

Good Luck,

Matt

motomutt
03-12-2007, 09:34 PM
Ain't that just the ugliest scheme. Must have had extra paint form the St. Paddys day parade float. Even the dark green looks better. Please keep an eye out bro.