PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! Things you have to deal with on the highway

suedv
03-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I was on the expressway today when I got up close and personal with flying objects.

A truck right in front of me had its tailgate opened. All of a sudden a shop vac and a white joint compound bucket came flying at me.

I couldn't stop because there was a semi right behind me that would have plowed into my back end. I couldn't change lanes because there was traffic on one side and a large snow bank on the other side.

I missed the bucket and muttered a few choice words while driving over the shop vac. The dumb thing got stuck under my car. I pulled off at the first exit ramp, but that was about 1/2 mile from when I picked up the vacuum. It was making nasty crunching and scraping sounds the whole time it was under my car.

It came out on the exit ramp. First the hose came out from under the car and then about 100 orange chunks of plastic flew across the ramp. I hope I didn't damage anything on my car. The cars behind me all were trying to miss the junk I sent flying on the exit ramp.

So what strange things have you encountered on the highway lately?

Leroy
03-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Scary Sue. THis morning just down the interstate a big white cloud formed and cars were cutting everywhere. By the time I got there is was scattered.....was only a big pile of snow that fell of a semi. THe white cloud made it look like a bomb in the middle of the road.

bcampbe7
03-06-2007, 10:35 PM
Glad you are OK Sue!

A couple of weeks ago I saw two different vehicles that lost one of their front wheels! The wheels were in the median and the vehicle was on the side of the road sitting on what was left of the brake rotor. I had never seen that before and saw two on the same day.

milkmania
03-06-2007, 10:37 PM
just yesterday....
tire & wheel middle of intersection

checked it out as I drove by, worn out tire, rusty wheel

turned through intersection, looked in mirror and some old guy was dodging cars to get it:rolleyes:

milkmania
03-06-2007, 10:39 PM
Glad you are OK Sue!

A couple of weeks ago I saw two different vehicles that lost one of their front wheels! The wheels were in the median and the vehicle was on the side of the road sitting on what was left of the brake rotor. I had never seen that before and saw two on the same day.

we used to have trucks come into the plant all the time missing a set of double wheel/tire assemblies from their trailers.....
90% of the time, the driver never knew it!:eek3:

bcampbe7
03-06-2007, 10:41 PM
we used to have trucks come into the plant all the time missing a set of double wheel/tire assemblies from their trailers.....
90% of the time, the driver never knew it!:eek3:

Oh these people knew it! I bet they had to replace the driver's seat as well as the hub! :D

Monte
03-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Driving behind a semi a month or so ago, one of the rear tires exploded (not shred and drop a re-tread)..... explode.. Loud boom...... rubber @ 75 ft in the air.. Wild experience.........

SKI*MC
a wild turkey that splattered on the side of the truck. other then that, a bag of aluminum cans.

milkmania
Oh these people knew it! I bet they had to replace the driver's seat as well as the hub! :D

from a liability stand point, I would also deny it all

kinda like the farmer that get's a cow run over on the highway.....
"shoot, I ain't got no brown cows"

suedv
My brother had a junky old car we used to ride to high school in. The tire came off of that thing one time. That isn't a fun experience.

dmayer84
I ve gotten the usual squirrels and a bird once while in flight. My mom had the unplesant experience of running over the wheel hub from a vaccuum truck. Tore the whole bottom of the car up.

milkmania
03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
this one gave me chills!

was driving back from Branson, MO. with the kids...
South out of Fayetteville, AR, on hwy 71 (one of those highways with a sign at the beginning, stating how many people had been killed on this highway, "Don't You Be Next"

well anyway, came upon an semi-truck accident... the guy was carrying those "railroad car wheels" (pic below)... the truck was on one side of the highway, and the wheel was on the opposite side in the ditch!

it had broken loose in a curve, from the truck and crossed the road:eek3:

atlfootr
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
I was on the expressway today when I got up close and personal with flying objects.At what kind of speed, where you traveling?

suedv
03-06-2007, 11:18 PM
I do a lot of driving for my job. In the last 5 days I've seen a vehicle that hit a bridge abutment and then rolled over (it looked pretty bad), two multi-car accidents (one of them involved a sheriff car), and about a dozen cars in the median of highways or in ditches.

We've had a lot of snow, fog, drifting snow with white-out conditions, and freezing rain. But this is Michigan... people should know how to drive in this stuff.

suedv
03-06-2007, 11:19 PM
At what kind of speed, where you traveling?

About 70 mph when I first hit it.

puck_11
03-06-2007, 11:21 PM
Semi Trailer pulled out in front of me and put a rock through the windshield of my Mastercraft :mad:

atlfootr
03-06-2007, 11:24 PM
You can have the snow banks and black ice patches, I'll keep my arss planted here in florida
and doge the 'old folks from upstate New York! :rolleyes:

jlf
03-07-2007, 10:01 AM
I was following a truck with the tailgate down and a tool box that was sitting just at the edge of the tailgate ready to fall any minute. I was trying to stay as far back as possible or change lanes, I couldn't change lanes so I backed way off him, sure enough the tool box finally bounced out and tools went flying and scattered everywhere. That was all I needed a wrench though the windshield or my radiator. Truck never stopped.

On the way to Mag Mania last year, a seemless gutter cube truck was cruising down interstate with us. All of a sudden a bunch of gutter material let loose from the top of the truck and came flying back at us. Husband swerved the best he could, traffic on all sides of us moving at about 75 mph or better. Not really sure how it missed the windshield. I know I did one of those moves where I ducked inside the truck. We tried to wave the truck down, cause they were still losing stuff, but to no avail. We sped up and passed the truck ASAP.

A couple days ago, I haven't seen the damage yet, but a semi hauling an oversized load was traveling on the highway and his load didn't clear the Interstate 90 bridge that crossed over the highway and now 4 out of 5 steel gurders that support the conctrete on the Interstate about are damaged so all traffic is detoured off I90. This is the third time I think that bridge has been damaged by the same sort of thing. Twice is was damaged by a truck driver leaving Skipperliner (they build houseboats) with a boat. The first time the boat was just completed. The second time was after they fixed the boat from the first time he hit the bridge with it the dipsh*t hit the same bridge with the same boat again after they fixed it. If I recall the customer about had a heartattack he was so furious. This was several years back. Skipperliner has since moved to a new facility and this is not a problem anymore.

shepherd
03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
I dodged a wheelbarrow that fell out of a pickup once. Almost gave the wife a heart attack.
In my youth, I had an old recliner chair fall off the junk pile in the back of a pickup truck I was driving for my employer in the middle of a busy 4 lane highway (I didn't load it!). A lady in a Jaguar bumped it off the road for me :rolleyes: . She was cool about it though since there was no visible damage to her car.

jlf
03-07-2007, 10:12 AM
I've also had to drive over a matress laying in the middle of the road.

Sodar
03-07-2007, 10:41 AM
There seems to always be "debris" along the freeway. The one that pissed me off the most was when a 4"X4" peice of cribbing slid off a flatbed semi in a turn... I was able to dodge it enough for it not to hit my truck, but I did run over it with my rear tire, tossing the peice right into the fender of my jet ski trailer... bent the whole fender so bad that the tire was rubbing on the fender! Still pisses me off to this day!!

trickskier
03-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Ladders seem to be the norm around here. I usually see at least 1 a week on the interstate.

BrianM
03-07-2007, 11:17 AM
Try driving in New Orleans since the storm. The amount of junk on the interstates is amazing. I usually see at least a ladder a day in the middle of the road. Appliances, buckets, wood, sheet metal, boulders, dirt, tree limbs all flying off the back of trucks. It is like driving in a video game except the stakes are higher.

bcampbe7
03-07-2007, 11:37 AM
A few years ago my wife and I went to Colorado with her family to do some snow skiing/boarding. We flew into Denver and rented a car. We own our own equipment so we also purchased the ski rack rental for the rental car. When paying for the rack they asked if I wanted to install it or would I like for them to install it. It was about 0* F, dark and windy. I said you go ahead and install it…

Once installed, we loaded up the skis and boards and headed down I-70 towards Breck. We got just outside of Denver where you start heading into the mountains. If you have never been on I-70 heading West out of Denver there is an overhead sign that displays warnings and such. The warning that night was for high winds and such coming off the mountain.

About that same time my wife looked in the side mirror to see my board wobbling. I slowed down, but it was too late. I heard her say “oh (insert 4 letter word here)” and in a slit second my board was sailing through the air in the rearview mirror. The car behind me took the liberty to smash it to pieces. I pulled over to the median to asses the damage. I found my board directly across the interstate on the side of the road. It had been ran over a couple times and was in pretty bad shape.

Come to find out, the passenger side of the ski rack came off the car, taking my board with it.

We loaded everything up into the bar of the rental and headed back to the airport. When we got to the rental place I was pretty pissed. I had just purchased this board a few weeks before this and had only ridden it once.

The rental company was really cool about it. They told me to rent any board I wanted while in Breckenridge and they would cover it. They also said that they would cover a new board and bindings.

I rented a different board every day we were out there and settled on a Never Summer with Flow Pro S bindings. The rental company came through in the end and covered all of my unexpected costs.

Sodar
03-07-2007, 11:47 AM
I have a similar story to that, but rather than losing my snowboard, I lost my surfboard. Same deal though, the board was MAYBE 2 weeks old. I strapped it to the racks on my buddies suburban, but the straps had seen better days and were pretty sunbeat, so 5 miles down the freeway, the straps broke and my board sailed. We pulled over, to see the board get ran over about 6 times, and eventually it was pushed over to the shoulder, where I could grab it.... I still have it out in the garage!! I ended up having buyer protection on my credit card, so I ended up getting a new board at no cost. Pretty cool when tragedy is averted and everything actually works out!!

bcampbe7
03-07-2007, 11:55 AM
...Pretty cool when tragedy is averted and everything actually works out!!

No doubt...

I am glad no one was hurt. Those boards, whether it be a snowboard or surfboard, would do some damage had they hit a windshield! :eek3:

RexDog1
03-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Back in the 80’s I road bikes a lot and a friend had his bike on his rack on top of his car
After a long hard ride, he pulled into his driveway hit the garage door opener drove right in …………:eek3:
Cleaned his bike right off the top of the car…..$3500. down the drain ………….

Sodar
03-07-2007, 12:07 PM
No doubt...

I am glad no one was hurt. Those boards, whether it be a snowboard or surfboard, would do some damage had they hit a windshield! :eek3:

Ha ha.. that is for sure!!

Speaking of windshields... my friend called me yesterday afternoon and had a little story for me! His family owns a large rebar company here in SoCal. I am not sure if anyone has seen how rebar is hauled, but it is not out of the ordinary to have it hanging off the back of the truck by 10 or 15 feet. So anyways, one of my buddy's drivers was at the stoplight, when a lady in a Camry rear ended him, shoving the rebar through her windshield, knicking a substanial piece of her face and then exiting through the rear window of tha car!! Pretty Gnarly he said... I am sure their company is in for a lawsuit now, after all, it is Pr!ckifornia!!

jlf
03-07-2007, 12:08 PM
These stories are the exact reasons we take our wakeboards out of the board racks and place them safely in the bed of the truck. I don't care if the racks should be able to hold them safely, not worth the risk of a board coming out and taking someone's face out as it slices through their windshield. Not really looking for a lawsuit. I wish everyone would also do this.

Sodar
03-07-2007, 12:11 PM
Back in the 80’s I road bikes a lot and a friend had his bike on his rack on top of his car
After a long hard ride, he pulled into his driveway hit the garage door opener drove right in …………:eek3:
Cleaned his bike right off the top of the car…..$3500. down the drain ………….

HA HA HA HA!!! Try backing a trailer into the garage with the window glass of your dad's suburban up.... broke the glass, tweaked the rear liftgate and cost me a $1000 deductible!!! Yeah, that took a LONG time to pay off at 16!!!!

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Back in the college days driving back from Spring Break in FLA on I71 somewhere in the mountains of NC or WV. It was some ungodly early morning hour (2-3am) and I came across a kitchen table just sitting in the middle of the lane. I just happened to be in the correct lane to miss it.

Ran over an aliminum extension ladder in a business car (luckily).

bcampbe7
03-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Or... Try pulling out of your garage with the bimini up! Bent the rear poles pretty good. It was only a $70 mistake though as the poles were the only thing damaged (aside from my pride).

jlf
03-07-2007, 12:19 PM
I am so glad to hear it is men making some of these mistakes, I think women really get a bad rap on their driving skills. Its nice to know that men do stupid things too!!

betsy&david Harrison
03-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Wow, pretty scarey crap out there! When I was traveling back and forth to CSU Northridge...long time ago, I was in our little Mazda B2000 and headed out the 118 (Sodar knows this road) and a drum of somesort came flying or barreling across the highway. I saw it out of the corner of my eye...too late. Sheared off the drivers side mirror. Scared the holy crap out of me.

Sodar
03-07-2007, 12:33 PM
I am so glad to hear it is men making some of these mistakes, I think women really get a bad rap on their driving skills. Its nice to know that men do stupid things too!!

Easy there tiger!! We are perfect 99.99% of the time!! ;) :D 8p

jlf
03-07-2007, 12:37 PM
Easy there tiger!! We are perfect 99.99% of the time!!
You keep telling yourself that!!;) It's okay, I like to think I am NEVER wrong:D My husband, well he lets me know differently.

Sodar
03-07-2007, 12:40 PM
It's okay, I like to think I am NEVER wrong:D My husband, well he lets me know differently.

Yeah, that's a guy's job... just to inform when the women are wrong... keeps us busy though! Almost a full-time job!!! Just Kidding!!! :D 8p :D

betsy&david Harrison
03-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Yeah, that's a guy's job... just to inform when the women are wrong... keeps us busy though! Almost a full-time job!!! Just Kidding!!! :D
Just you remember this...when you come to ski with me...I AM NEVER WRONG....:rolleyes: :D

jlf
03-07-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm out on this one, I know this is a male dominated board and I'll never win this battle, defeat taken!!

Sodar
03-07-2007, 12:50 PM
Just you remember this...when you come to ski with me...I AM NEVER WRONG....:rolleyes: :D
Sounds like I am going to need to bring the boxing platform, so we can duke our differences out!!!

http://www.ravesports.com/images/mainpage/NWPark.jpg

JKTX21
03-07-2007, 02:00 PM
I think I've hit just about everything... Dogs, squirrels, possum, a raccoon one time... On the freeway, I've nailed a couple of those big orange barrels, cones, a big ice chest.... But that was all in my old beat up truck :)

rick s.
03-07-2007, 02:39 PM
In the (California) bay area we have sound walls on the sides of of many of the freeways. They look to be 10 or 12 feet tall and are made of concrete blocks.

Yesterday a wild turkey (and we have lots of them in the area) popped up over the sound wall on my far left, expecting to land on the other side of the wall. It was smart enough to realize that this was not a good idea, so it (I think it was a hen) flew all the way to the other side (across 5 lanes of southbound traffic and 5 lanes of northbound traffic) and managed to barely make it to the other side of the wall. There were a couple of times that I didn't think it was going to make it, as it had to weave around several large trucks...

Can you just imagine taking a 15 lb bird at 70 mph thru the window? What a mess that would make!

TX.X-30 fan
03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
In the (California) bay area we have sound walls on the sides of of many of the freeways. They look to be 10 or 12 feet tall and are made of concrete blocks.

Yesterday a wild turkey (and we have lots of them in the area) popped up over the sound wall on my far left, expecting to land on the other side of the wall. It was smart enough to realize that this was not a good idea, so it (I think it was a hen) flew all the way to the other side (across 5 lanes of southbound traffic and 5 lanes of northbound traffic) and managed to barely make it to the other side of the wall. There were a couple of times that I didn't think it was going to make it, as it had to weave around several large trucks...

Can you just imagine taking a 15 lb bird at 70 mph thru the window? What a mess that would make!

Did you get a good look at her breast, if she had one of those red dots (probably was a Butterball) 8p 8p

Kevin 89MC
03-07-2007, 05:24 PM
No one believes me (other than the people in the car with me at the time), but while I've never hit a deer, I've had 2 deer hit me! Both times, along a county road in central MN, I saw a deer standing in the ditch, and slow down a bit. Both times, they have charged me at the last possible second. Once was in my '89 Supra and the other was in my Trailblazer. Both connected behind the passenger door. The supra got a big dent, and the Trailblazer got a bunch of hair stuck in the door handle. Both deer stumbled off into the woods, probably wondering "*** was that!"

bobbyB
03-07-2007, 05:26 PM
15 years old with just a learner permit, driving our pickup with Mom in the middle and Dad snoring against the passeger window, on the interstate coming back from a long weekend. I was following a truck w/a camper and a 12ft aluminum boat upside down on the top of the camper. Looked up in time to see the wind catch the boat. I can still see in my minds eye that boat standing straight up on top of that camper, coming straight at me. Landed right in front of me, bow end about 30ft in front from the front bumper. Swerved into the left shoulder and barely missed the boat. Amazingly enough, no one crashed into each other and no one hit the boat, although there were alot of skid marks......both kinds I'm sure.

dog paw
03-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Got a G6 on the lift beside me right now 500 miles on it. The lady ran over what she thought might have been a piece of a cinder block. Sliced open the trans pan, went right down the frame rail taking out everything in its path. Even punched a couple holes in the frame rail and exhaust. To add insult to injury she kept on driving till it stopped moving and smoked the rest of the transmission.

Had a Grand Am last week that took a large piece of ice off a truck right through the windsheild. Opened it up one side to the other. Looked like it should have killed her but she dropped it off at the shop herself with only a little blood showing.....

betsy&david Harrison
03-07-2007, 09:33 PM

Driving up to Chico, Ca one year on a back road in my little MGB I drove into a flock of small birds. They hit the front of the car, the wind shield, decapitated from the antena. By the time I reached my destination there was blood and feathers all over my car. Then we found one of the birdies wedged between the bumber and the car. He was a stiffy. I'll never forget the pelting noise. Hate to have hit a turkey!

ski_king
03-07-2007, 10:11 PM
I hit a extension ladder on the expressway once. I was able to swerve enough to just nick it and send it spinning to the berm.

milkmania
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
was traveling on 4 lane with concrete divider

opposing lane, some guy coming from Sam's Club lost 5 or 6 boxes of chips.
chip dust everywhere! boxes and bags of chips everywhere!

returned couple of hours later in other direction, not a bag or box in sight.....lol

suedv
03-07-2007, 11:03 PM
I've dodged ladders on the highway before too. Now I'm curious since others see them out there too. I have a question for someone like Mag Red who paints and probably carries ladders around a lot. Why do ladders seem to fall off more that some other things. Don't they make good racks for vans and trucks?

I'm just wondering.

jimmer2880
03-08-2007, 06:42 AM
The other week, right after we got about 2-3 inches of snow, then 2-3 inches of sleet, then a good 6 hours of freezing rain, then 15 degree temps overnight froze everything solid. Driving home from work the next day, I saw 3 windshields that were completely shattered & caved in from ice blowing off of trucks, etc.

Thrall
03-10-2007, 02:59 PM
Not me, but a friend up in Northern WI................ he's driving home on the county road following a little car. Car hits a deer and catapults the deer (about a 100# doe he said) up and over the car. Deer lands square on the windshield/roof of his truck. Samshed the roof, both A pillars, front doors, and dash. Actually totalled his truck and he didn't even hit the thing.

lakesnake
03-12-2007, 03:27 AM
I used to work for a pool company. Some of the "genii" (plural for genius, I love m-w.com!) I worked with were delivering 2 hot tubs. Luckily, I wasn't a part of this ordeal. They had one on the flat-bed pickup and one strapped to a hot-tub trailer. Notice which one was strapped? Well they pull out onto a fairly busy 50 mph-highway, sending the hot tub off the driver's side onto it's side and then onto the top of the hot tub, shattering the inner shell of a $9000 tub... I witnessed this while working with a customer, therefore losing their business. (Had I been on the delivery, the straps would've been checked 3 times per tub per my routine.:cool: ) Fortunately, no one was injured. Just a big mess/embarrassment.

Dan K
03-12-2007, 10:22 AM
Last summer I was next to a SUV pulling a trailer loaded with 4 wheelers and dirt bikes. One of the straps breaks on a dirt bike and it falls of the trailer but is still being dragged by the other strap. The bike is weaving all over the place and all three lanes of freeway traffic back way off behind me. The guy drives for more than five miles with me honking my horn next to him before he pays any attention to me and my daughter hanging out the window telling him to stop. That bike was completely ruined. Some people really make me wonder about our gene pool.

jenglin
03-12-2007, 10:28 AM
My family and I were heading back home from a family event, we weren't 5 miles from my granparents house when met a mini-van hauling a storm dorm strapped on the luggage rack of the van. As we got closer the front straps broke and the wind picked the front end of the door off the roof of the van. It wasn't 2 seconds later the door broke off the luggage rack completely and started rolling down the highway in our lane. My Dad told us to hang on and we hit the door running about 60 mph. A loud boom and a million pieces of door later, no one was hurt. They crappy part about the whole experience was that my dad just had our suburban all redone and was not out of the shop a week before it had to go right back in. If we did not have that suburban and was driving my moms car at the time my parents could of very likely been killed, due to the low profile of the car and how it would of hit the door it could of came right through the windshield. Thank the Lord that didn't happen.

Ric
03-12-2007, 07:03 PM
headed to the ski lake yesterday

homeless looking dude (judging him by his appearance) strutting across 5 outbound lanes of interstate with and aluminum wheel/ blown out tire combo. We could not believe what we were seeing or how someone could value a tire more than their life... If he would have hiccupped, tripped, stopped or dropped the wheel there'd have been a helluva mess of autos and potentially homeless dude all over the road

Ric
03-12-2007, 07:10 PM
caught what bikers refer to as a gator heading south out of dallas a few years ago

saw the debri (alligator-truck retread that has become detached from the truck and now lies in the road like an alligator) ahead in front of other cars at about 75mph

see the minitruck in front of me pass over the gator with apparantly no contact but then as I pass over the gator I hear a thudSLAM! and a flash of gator in my face for a moment... the damn thing kicked up from under the mini car and hit my front bumper in a way that unferled it perfectly slapping the daylites outta my truck hood and then disappeared again! it was like a strike from a cobra. I needed clean underpants after that! never fixed it, sold it with cracked grill and dented hood a year or so later

Ric
03-12-2007, 07:14 PM
headed out near crawford on a deer hunt several years ago with 4 guys in one truck towing a small trailer full of ice chests etc.. some ol codger pulls up next to the truck waving and flailing about something coming off the trailer.. we pull to the side of the interstate and this nut pulls over too and begins to scold us on how loose the spare on the trailer was riding... (it was padlocked to a hub type thing) he must have spent 10 minutes of our time describing hairy flying tire accidents he'd seen. I popped a beer and said thanks buddy, we will fix that .

suedv
06-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Yesterday I was driving home from work on 28th Street (Steve will know where that is). It is a 5 lane road that is quite busy at rush hour time.

Anyhow this semi stops ahead of me (there was one car between me and the truck). The semi driver thought she went too far past the factory driveway she was trying to pull into and decided to back up after she saw a few cars pull around her. The big problem was she couldn't see what was behind her and there were still 3 cars directly behind her that hadn't moved because everyone behind us was moving from the right lane and we were boxed in.

When the truck driver started backing up the semi trailer actually began climbing up on the hood of the car in front of me before she realized she was hitting something and pull forward and came back off his car. The front of that car was a mess. My bumper was only barely damagaed by the car in front of me as it slid back.

The woman driving the semi was on her first week of work driving a truck and had just finished truck driving school a month ago. I really don't know how she passed. She told the police officer that she couldn't see what was behind her and she figured that of course everyone would get out of the way of a big truck so she just backed up.

Sodar
06-07-2007, 01:48 PM
Thats too bad Sue! Had to be pretty crazy watching it happen and know that there was nothing you could do!!

Anyhow this semi stops ahead of me (there was one car between me and the truck). The semi driver thought she went too far past the factory driveway she was trying to pull into and decided to back up after she saw a few cars pull around her. The big problem was she couldn't see what was behind her and there were still 3 cars directly behind her that hadn't moved because everyone behind us was moving from the right land and we were boxed in.

When the truck drive started backing up the semi trailer actually began climbing up on the hood of the car in front of me before she realized she was hitting something and pull forward and came back off his car. The front of that car was a mess. My bumper was only barely damagaed by the car in front of me as it slid back.

The woman driving the semi was on her first week of work driving a truck and had just finished truck driving school a month ago. I really don't know how she passed. She told the police officer that she couldn't see what was behind her and she figured that of course everyone would get out of the way of a big truck so she just backed up.

I have soooo MANY good comments about this, but I will just bit my tongue and be good for X2Momma, Betsy and Sue!!! :D

uawaterskier
06-07-2007, 01:52 PM
I just read about the cars loosing wheels and decided i post my story.
Back when I was racing cars I lost a wheel at 120. The car that was behind me picked the rear end of the car up and over-revved the motor. When it sat back down on the track it sheered off the hub. I dont know how many 360s i did, but it was alot. The car stopped literally .00000000001" from inside wall. Needless to say, it was a skeery ride

suedv
06-07-2007, 01:54 PM
Yep, good idea to bite the tongue. :)

By the way you are right. It was a really crazy thing to watch. The guy in front of me was really shook up. When were got out and were looking at our cars he kept saying he thought he was going to meet his maker.

X2M
06-07-2007, 02:28 PM
Thats too bad Sue! Had to be pretty crazy watching it happen and know that there was nothing you could do!!

I have soooo MANY good comments about this, but I will just bit my tongue and be good for X2Momma, Betsy and Sue!!! :D

Are you tasting blood yet? :rolleyes:

JKTX21
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
Some mo-ron hit a golf ball into the freeway and hit the front of my truck a month ago. I remember thinking "Hmmm what's that?" right before it hit me.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2007, 03:27 PM
I've dodged ladders on the highway before too. Now I'm curious since others see them out there too. I have a question for someone like Mag Red who paints and probably carries ladders around a lot. Why do ladders seem to fall off more that some other things. Don't they make good racks for vans and trucks?

I'm just wondering.
I am going to take a stab at this question. Correct me if I am wrong here painters....
I see ladders on a regular basis on the top of a "ladder rack" the problem is, the folks that put them up, either are too lazy to tie them down, or don't secure them with any straps, clamps, or other device. Most of which probably just assume (it can't happen to me), or don't care whatsoever because it's the bosses ladder, the bosses truck, and more importantly the bosses insurance if something happens. either way, they don't care, and it truely pi55e5 me off when I see cargo not tied, strapped or secured in some fashion. Not so much to protect their equipment, but to protect others that may have the unfortunate incident to meet by accident.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-07-2007, 03:35 PM
I have LOTS of stories, some pretty gruesome so I'll spare the details.

But one in particular....
Hot summer day, business as usual. A car pulls out in front of a loaded semi truck toolin' down the road about 45. (It's the limit on this road) The semi avoids the car by swerving, but hits the curb hard in which forces the truck into a small ditch, that in turn forces the truck to topple over on its side, and the top of the trailer open liked a can a sardies, and splattered contents everywhere what seems like a 500' around. This loaded truck was heading to the next fast food restaurant down the road (with 2 arches on the sign) you guesses it, frozen chicken, burger patties, nuggets, you name it, it was splattered everywhere...And as I gather, noone was hurt, and as I have been told, the car that caused the accident was no where to be found......

suedv
06-07-2007, 07:14 PM
Here is something that I just saw on the news (http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=6623359&nav=menu44_2)a minute ago. I'm sure this guy doesn't ever want another wheelchair ride like that!

ProTour X9
06-07-2007, 09:54 PM
I saw that also, does his shirt say: "I'm a Yooper" ?

TMCNo1
06-07-2007, 10:03 PM
I just read about the cars loosing wheels and decided i post my story.
Back when I was racing cars I lost a wheel at 120. The car that was behind me picked the rear end of the car up and over-revved the motor. When it sat back down on the track it sheered off the hub. I dont know how many 360s i did, but it was alot. The car stopped literally .00000000001" from inside wall. Needless to say, it was a skeery ride

"You picked A Fine Time To Leave Me Loose wheel"

suedv
06-08-2007, 12:04 AM
I saw that also, does his shirt say: "I'm a Yooper" ?

I don't know but it should say "I'm a trouper" Anyone who gets stuck in the grill of a truck and gets pushed for 5 miles at 50 mph down a highway and still acts positive afterward is quite a trouper.

Workin' 4 Toys
06-08-2007, 12:48 AM
Isn't that a Dr. Pepper shirt? That says "I'm a Pepper"

uawaterskier
06-08-2007, 01:34 AM
"You picked A Fine Time To Leave Me Loose wheel"
yeah, i dont know how i didnt hit anything. I had no control of the car.

FrankSchwab
06-08-2007, 01:39 AM
JKTX21 -
Yeah, had that experience on my motorcycle once. I picked the ball up about 5 seconds before it got to me, and I remember wondering why I was able to see it so well. Two bounces later it gets to me, and is about to implant itself in the middle of my forehead. A quick duck kept me from a rather unpleasant experience. I figure my brain had already calculated that this thing needed watching which is why I picked it up so easily. If it had been aimed three feet to the side, I probably never would have seen it.

Couple of weeks ago someone in front of me on the freeway lost what looked like a big wire dog kennel. Cars to the left of me, cars to the right, all I could do was point at it and pray - I figured in a dead-on collision the bike would go through or over it as long as I stayed off the brakes. At the last moment, it split in half, and I went through the middle with nary a touch. I was too busy trying to unclench my sphincter to notice what happened to the car behind me, though.

/frank

onewheat
06-08-2007, 02:41 AM
I t's been almost 20 years or so, but I was heading N on I-75 in a Honda CRX when I saw what looked like a huge snake slithering in the road at almost the speed of traffic. Turns out it was a 20 ft (or so) binding chain sliding along in the center lane. I moved into the left and was rapidly approaching an 84 Lumber truck hauling plywood. You don't need to be a psychic to figure out what was next. You could see the top sheet of plywood vibrating and then the front of it picked up and it peeled off, cartwheeling about 20 feet in the air before landing in the road, hitting nothing but road thankfully. You could see the next sheet about to do the same. I was WAY left in the emergency lane hauling butt to get past him before it flew off, honking and pointing as I got by. I don't know if that one went or what else happened, but he had his signal on and was trying to get over to the side as I lost sight of him. It still seems like something you'd see in a movie to me.

88 PS190
06-08-2007, 03:51 AM
sheet of plywood took towards my window once, that was exciting.

Best though is coming into grand rapids on 196 (from the south) as you get into that steep downhill bit.

Its winter, mom's driving the suburban and we get cut off by some yahoo coming in on that left hand entry. So its down hill snow braking with sliding.

Only time i've ever heard her swear.

fintek9
06-08-2007, 09:01 AM
DAMB WHEELCHAIRS, they think they own the road.

mpm32
06-08-2007, 11:05 AM
Those truckers and their truck bling. First it was the big mac bulldog hood ornaments, now look what they're using for a hood ornament.

fintek9
06-08-2007, 11:20 AM
Those truckers and their truck bling. First it was the big mac bulldog hood ornaments, now look what they're using for a hood ornament.
:uglyhamme

TJsAudio
06-08-2007, 11:15 PM
Give the chair som 20" dubs and they'll be all set.