PDA

View Full Version : Depth Gauge Problem

landscape
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
I took out my new 2006 PS 197 this weekend for the first time. Everything worked great except for the depth gauge. When I scroll to the depth gauge on the multi function display it reads " BAD ". I have searched the owners manuel and cannot find anything that addresses the depth gauge. Anybody got any ideas ?

Footin
03-06-2007, 07:59 PM
I think that means the motors is about to blow, cut your losses now and sell it to me REALLY cheap.

Sorry, I got nutin.

Chief
03-06-2007, 08:36 PM
Find the transducer and unplug and see if maybe water intrusion into plug.

milkmania
03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I think that means the motors is about to blow, cut your losses now and sell it to me REALLY cheap.

Sorry, I got nutin.
you missed the obvious......

if it tells you it's bad, chances are...

it's BAD!

(learned that raising kids)

PendO
03-06-2007, 09:21 PM
I took out my new 2006 PS 197 this weekend for the first time. Everything worked great except for the depth gauge. When I scroll to the depth gauge on the multi function display it reads " BAD ". I have searched the owners manuel and cannot find anything that addresses the depth gauge. Anybody got any ideas ?

the depth guage on my 06 197 went out this past fall ... it was supposedly fixed this fall when winterized ... I'm not sure if they replaced the transducer and/or if they had to replace the spedometer readout unit ... my work order invoice says: INSTALL NEW TACH - WARR (Replaced Transducer, guage reads correctly)

Also, early on I had to have the PP Pro module replaced due to a surging issue when skiing ... (separate issue, but just make sure all modes of your PP work before you are off of warranty)

erkoehler
03-06-2007, 09:38 PM
You may also want to have them check to make sure they installed the depth finder properly.

Was it a dealer installed option or factory? It could be as simple as the "puck" isn't secured to the bottom of the boat, or something more serious like an issue with the wiring or faulty transducer.

PendO
03-06-2007, 09:45 PM
FWIW ... mine worked for 11 months ... if yours never worked it might be as easy as Erk said, just checking the connections

landscape
03-06-2007, 09:56 PM
I think that is what I will do is check the connections first since it has never worked. I am assuming it was a factory installed option since it was listed as a $320.00 option on the original factory invoice. Is it true that the " puck " is actually glassed in the the boat ? I can not see a " puck " visable on the bottom of the boat ?

atlfootr
03-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Nearly all the lakes are shallow here in Winter Haven and since we foot close to shore most of the time, it only makes sense to own a depth finder. Any suggestions on a good brand?

This is definitely my next purchase, after an XM Radio.

PendO
03-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I think that is what I will do is check the connections first since it has never worked. I am assuming it was a factory installed option since it was listed as a $320.00 option on the original factory invoice. Is it true that the " puck " is actually glassed in the the boat ? I can not see a " puck " visable on the bottom of the boat ?

The transducer should be visible ... in the bottom of the engine compartment ... I say should but I don't know for sure ... now that my boat is off warranty I expect that I will become more familar with the parts layout:)

landscape
03-07-2007, 07:19 AM
The transducer should be visible ... in the bottom of the engine compartment ... I say should but I don't know for sure ... now that my boat is off warranty I expect that I will become more familar with the parts layout:)
Thanks , I will look for it there. I wish someone would write a good technical manuel for MC boats. I have found the owners manuel to be rather worthless.

ggroller
03-07-2007, 08:18 AM
The same thing happened to me the end of last season. My dealer fixed it. He said the connector under the dash just came loose.

WTRSK1R
03-07-2007, 08:27 AM
I am in the process of adding a depth gauge to my 197, and when I wired up the control module, but did not have the transducer plugged into it, the dash read "bad". So, start with the easy stuff. If it turns out that the transducer is plugged in, the transducer is supposed to be behind the engine, on one side of the prop shaft. According to the installation instructions, there is a "pocket" molded right into the fiberglass that they want me to install / bond the transducer to. The instructions also tell the installer to spray paint it black after bonding it to make it match the existing hull, so it may not be obvious other then the wire running to the puck.

Good Luck.

landscape
03-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Thanks, that sounds like great advice !

jlf
03-07-2007, 09:27 AM
slight thread jack....is there anyway to change when the depth finder reads "shallow" the lake we use is only about 8ft deep average so there are several spots that may only be 5ft deep. At 5ft is must flash shallow instead of the actual depth. We'd like to make it shallower are there any ways to change it? Can't find anything in the owners manuel. We have the factory installed depth finder on an '06 X-10

landscape
03-07-2007, 09:53 AM
I had an 05 x-2 and it did not flash shallow until around 1.5- 2.0 feet. It seems like there should be some way to adjust that. I would be interested in knowing that myself.

jlf
03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
I'm pretty sure it's deeper than than when it starts flashing shallow, it has been several months since I've seen our boat, but I know we wanted to adjust when it flashed shallow, I may have the wrong depth that is starts at.

JKTX21
03-10-2007, 10:20 PM
Resurrection of the depth finder problem thread.

I installed a new Humminbird depth gauge in my boat... I thought I had the transducer where I wanted it in the hull today, and glued it down, but it gave me readings every now and then that I know were incorrect. I got so tired of hearing that alarm go off for no reason.

So what is the best location for this transducer, and should it work through the hull with no problem, some problems, who knows, etc....? Or should I just mount it on my transom and forget about it?

Ric
03-11-2007, 10:56 AM
I bought that depth finder unit from MYMC but have yet to install it

If I remember right, The papers with my depth finder assembly showed the puck (transdeucer) is shown on the port side of the motor back about halfway down the length of the transmission.. My assumption is that this location is always in the water on a 197, therefore the location should not be further forward than this?

Keep us posted as I'll need pointers when mine tells me something weird after install!!!

JKTX21
03-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Will do, I'm sure I am going to have to mess with it again this weekend!

WTRSK1R
03-13-2007, 09:08 PM
The instructions that came with the depth gauge module that I am in the process of installing say to install the transducer in the "molded inset on the port side of the shaft log." On my boat, there is a molded in area that is about 4 or 5 inches square, and about 1/2 inch deep. Here is a picture of the area that I am refering to.

WTRSK1R
03-13-2007, 09:14 PM
I plan to run the boat and check the gauge before actually using epoxy on the install. Although it is not in the photos, right now it is installed with Duck tape. I did this with my last boat prior to permanently installing the transducer. If you put a little water in the bilge, it does not need to be epoxied down to work, and will give you an idea of how accurate it is at different speeds. If Mike, Jim or Will want to comment on this location PLEASE do.

TMCNo1
03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
The instructions that came with the depth gauge module that I am in the process of installing say to install the transducer in the "molded inset on the port side of the shaft log." On my boat, there is a molded in area that is about 4 or 5 inches square, and about 1/2 inch deep. Here is a picture of the area that I am refering to.
You are correct, as that area is 1 layer of fiberglass thick so the transducer has no chance of shooting thru a air pocket or anything simular that may be between the hull and the liner.
When you do epoxy it down, clean the transducer and glass area good with lacquer thinner to remove all contaminants and be sure you have all the air bubbles out of the epoxy by mashing down on the transducer good to squeese anything out.

TMCNo1
03-13-2007, 09:36 PM
Resurrection of the depth finder problem thread.

I installed a new Humminbird depth gauge in my boat... I thought I had the transducer where I wanted it in the hull today, and glued it down, but it gave me readings every now and then that I know were incorrect. I got so tired of hearing that alarm go off for no reason.

So what is the best location for this transducer, and should it work through the hull with no problem, some problems, who knows, etc....? Or should I just mount it on my transom and forget about it?

There are several reason a correctly reading depthfinder may not show correctly,
1. Turning at midrange speeds will cause the gauge to read at an angle rather than 90 deg to the bottom because of the boat lean.
2. Rough water and turning on the opposite side of the transducer will occasionally cause a false reading because of air trapped or flowing under the hull.
3. A great many transduces have trouble reading when speed exceed 34 to 36 mph, because the bottom changes faster than it can transmit.

At least that is the experiences we have had, otherwise it works fine. I would not be without it for any reason now that we have it, especially in strange waters.

landscape
03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
I E mailed Mastercraft technical support and they said that there only 2 reasons that the depth gauge would read " BAD ". Either the power or the ground to the module has become disconnected or the module is actually bad. My question is if I check those connections will the depth gauge read a depth while the boat is on the trailer or will I have to put it in the water ?

TMCNo1
03-14-2007, 11:57 AM
I E mailed Mastercraft technical support and they said that there only 2 reasons that the depth gauge would read " BAD ". Either the power or the ground to the module has become disconnected or the module is actually bad. My question is if I check those connections will the depth gauge read a depth while the boat is on the trailer or will I have to put it in the water ?

I will need to be in the water.

PendO
03-14-2007, 12:48 PM

They replaced mine in the shop and allegedly it no longer read "bad" (w/o a water test) ... I'll let you know for sure when I drop it in the water this month.

I think it will read shallow, but not "bad" if everything is operational ... but what you need to do is have someone with an 06 in their garage/shop go out and turn on the key and cycle to the depth guage and see what it says ... if it says "bad" then you know it needs to be in the water ... and if it says something else then that is what you want yours to say.

**Hint Hint - hey erk, what does one in the showroom read:)

erkoehler
03-14-2007, 01:15 PM
I just went out to our 2007 197 and it gives me a depth while on the trailer.

landscape
03-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Erk, Thanks A Lot. Hopefully I will have time to mess with it this weekend and I will be able to figure out the problem.

Ric
03-14-2007, 02:13 PM
The instructions that came with the depth gauge module that I am in the process of installing say to install the transducer in the "molded inset on the port side of the shaft log." On my boat, there is a molded in area that is about 4 or 5 inches square, and about 1/2 inch deep. Here is a picture of the area that I am refering to. am I crazy or does that pic show the transdeucer on the starboard side of the shaft?

dmayer84
03-14-2007, 02:21 PM
Does anyone know where the transducer would be on an 04 x10. I got told it had a depth finder when I bought it, but I have never even seen it when going through all the options.

JKTX21
03-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Do most MC's have that thinner part of the hull around the shaft? My depth finder is already around that area, so it'd be easy to move it.
I want the last resort to be to drill the hull and put the depth finder outside the boat.

WTRSK1R
03-14-2007, 07:39 PM
am I crazy or does that pic show the transdeucer on the starboard side of the shaft?
You are not crazy. :D I thought the same thing when I pulled up the floor. However, it is the only place that is near the shaft log, and looked like a "molded inset".

Steve

JohnnyB
03-14-2007, 07:50 PM

Odd, i know for a fact my 04 PS197 shows "BAD" on the trailer but correctly shows depth on the water.....wouldn't trust "out of water" test 100%

WTRSK1R
03-14-2007, 07:51 PM
Oh, and for what it is worth, the depth gauge reads 0.5 when sitting on the trailer. However, I think the tech support guys are right. When I first installed the depth gauge module and did not have power to it yet, I believe the diplay on the tach said "BAD" when depth was selected. The power wires are crimped now, so I can not confirm this anymore. The depth gauge power wires coming from the module are VERY thin, and because the crimps that comes from the factory harness are designed for a 16 gauge wire, I stripped them extra long and folded them back before crimping the connector. If this was not done, I could see how the crimp may not be making a good connection causing an issue. The power wires in the factory harness in my 197 were labled DPTH. If you need a picture of the depth module let me know and I can post.

landscape
03-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Oh, and for what it is worth, the depth gauge reads 0.5 when sitting on the trailer. However, I think the tech support guys are right. When I first installed the depth gauge module and did not have power to it yet, I believe the diplay on the tach said "BAD" when depth was selected. The power wires are crimped now, so I can not confirm this anymore. The depth gauge power wires coming from the module are VERY thin, and because the crimps that comes from the factory harness are designed for a 16 gauge wire, I stripped them extra long and folded them back before crimping the connector. If this was not done, I could see how the crimp may not be making a good connection causing an issue. The power wires in the factory harness in my 197 were labled DPTH. If you need a picture of the depth module let me know and I can post.
This is exactly what was wrong with my depth gauge. It appears they crimped the ground wire but missed the wire all together or it pulled out because of the wire being so small. As soon as I replaced the butt connector and made thr ground connection it read .5 ft on the trailer. The hard part was finding the wire and module under the dash. I traced it all the way from the transducer.

WTRSK1R
03-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Glad you were able to find it. Hopefully my comments were helpful.

Now we just need the lake to thaw so I can test the location on my transducer and then epoxy it down.

Steve