PDA

View Full Version : Factory Tour

Farmer Ted
03-06-2007, 07:37 PM
I'm headed out that way in a couple of weeks, of course I'm going to pay homage to MC HQ.

A few questions,

- is there a Proshop on campus (t-shirts and other stuff) that a regular joe can buy stuff at? Driving 800 miles each way, I figure I'll save a bundle on shipping.....

- will Mr. D expense a "steak dinner" with the Farmer? Is Vonore in a dry county or wet? Do they have those "steak dinner" places that allow you to bring coolers?

- I've heard several folks mention going over to the Malibu factory, are there any other "must sees" out that way?

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm headed out that way in a couple of weeks, of course I'm going to pay homage to MC HQ.

A few questions,

- is there a Proshop on campus (t-shirts and other stuff) that a regular joe can buy stuff at? Driving 800 miles each way, I figure I'll save a bundle on shipping.....
>No ProShop at the factory anymore.

- will Mr. D expense a "steak dinner" with the Farmer? Is Vonore in a dry county or wet? Do they have those "steak dinner" places that allow you to bring coolers?
>If you see him while you are there, ask him to take you to lunch.The local area, is beer/wine, but no liquor. Steak Houses are in Maryville and up I-75/I-40 toward Knoxville.
- I've heard several folks mention going over to the Malibu factory, are there any other "must sees" out that way?
>OJ Props in Loudon, 12 miles up the road from MC, toward I-75

G-man
03-06-2007, 09:37 PM
you have the supra/mooba factory also

Farmer Ted
03-06-2007, 09:48 PM
>OJ Props in Loudon, 12 miles up the road from MC, toward I-75

If there's not a Proshop on campus, could I possibly get an employee to Pimp me some?

I might have to wait out in the parking lot and gank some.....

This is the place to get a "steak dinner" http://www.tuscl.com/clubdetail.asp?clubid=926

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 09:49 PM
you have the supra/mooba factory also

Yea, see where my mind is, Skiers Choice is somewhere in, around, about, near Maryville, who knows?

Eagle Lake Rebel
03-06-2007, 10:19 PM
I took the tour in Nov. No proshop, but if you go online and schedule a tour you will get a factory tour T-shirt. As far as I know the area is wet. Can't comment on the other attractions but I do know Supra is about 20Mi away, Bu is close by, Cobalt & Sea Ray are located in the same industrial park. I'm going to try and get back up there when my my new boat comes off the line in late April. The tour takes about an hour or two.

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 10:23 PM
If there's not a Proshop on campus, could I possibly get an employee to Pimp me some?

I might have to wait out in the parking lot and gank some.....

This is the place to get a "steak dinner" http://www.tuscl.com/clubdetail.asp?clubid=926

There is NO ProShop or proshop products at MasterCraft in Vonore. All of the Proshop items and Team Mastercraft items are made, stocked, and shipped from a company in Ohio called Powertek. If you take a factory tour, you will get a MasterCraft Factory Tour T-shirt as a gift.

Leroy
03-06-2007, 10:26 PM
There was a pro shop two years ago. Pretty small.

I've never heard of a steak dinner place where you bring your own ice chest....!

It's so small around there I'm not sure if it's wet or dry, but Knoxville is wet and not too far. My town Lenoir City is wet now, at least damp as I think beer/wine is all you can get and not on Sunday.

http://www.jackdaniels.com/ is not too far away, definitely dry town.

Leroy
03-06-2007, 10:33 PM
TMC1; Is the shop on the small hill to the left closed now?

mitch
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Tim, Have fun and let us know how it goes. I hope to get down there someday....

A few questions,

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 10:53 PM
TMC1; Is the shop on the small hill to the left closed now?
Yes! It was in the rear corner of the parts/parts shipping/replacement upholstery/R&D/Engineering building, but closed mid March of 2006, 2 weeks after we visited on March 6.

Jim@BAWS
03-06-2007, 11:11 PM

A few questions,

I will place the challenge before you and back it with some "FREE"
proshop stuff.

1) Take photos and put on TEAM MC ( Floor Liner, floor, winshield install
hydro dampening box install)
2) Was it difficult to get in...would they even let you in
3) How much comparison is there
4) Did they let you take photos of everything
5) Did you have to lie to get in EX: I am comparing MC to Malibu
6) MC will pretty muck let you see everthing

Look foward to yoru response and your posts

Now go my son...you have a mssion to complete
4)

Monte
03-06-2007, 11:20 PM
There is NO ProShop or proshop products at MasterCraft in Vonore. All of the Proshop items and Team Mastercraft items are made, stocked, and shipped from a company in Ohio called Powertek. If you take a factory tour, you will get a MasterCraft Factory Tour T-shirt as a gift.

No way!!!!!!!!! I know it wouldn't help much dollars and cents wise, but it would seem to me.. min wage to a high schooler and some MC schwag on campus would be a win/ win..... IMHO :rolleyes:

atlfootr
03-06-2007, 11:39 PM
Took tour awhile back, very interesting.
Wanted to go when the hull molds were begin made, didn't see 'em.

djhuff
03-07-2007, 09:03 AM
When I went to all three, I just pretended I was looking at all three (even though my mind was made up). Noone stopped any pictures, (except Malibu wouldn't let us take a pic of their hull being vaccum molded, and MC wouldn't let the camera go into the R&D building).

The MC tour took a solid 2+ hours, but we took our time and asked a BUNCH of questions.

G-man
03-07-2007, 10:18 AM
Cobalt boats are made in Neodesha KS not in Vonore

Prostar19
03-07-2007, 10:35 AM
Colbat just took over a plant down the street from MasterCraft about a year ago. They are building 32' and up there.

Sodar
03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
How do the factory tours work? Do they start at a certain time of the day? Are they only offered on certain days of the week? Who do I contact to arrange one?

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 11:08 AM
No way!!!!!!!!! I know it wouldn't help much dollars and cents wise, but it would seem to me.. min wage to a high schooler and some MC schwag on campus would be a win/ win..... IMHO :rolleyes:

The Proshop at the factory as originally set up because MC did their own negotiating with suppliers, sample products, design approval, ProShop brochures, sale flyers, stocking and shipping and was there more for employee purchases than the rare owner/visitor who wanted to buy stuff. Also MC was then responsible for disposing of all out of date product, thru deals to dealers and employee special sales right before Xmas. Being the last ProShop was in a detached building, it was not part of the factory tour, because the Engineering/R&D/Prototypes are located there and it is for the most part off limits to the general public and very few people knew it existed. The ProShop/company store was once in a large room inside the office building, still not part of the factory tour and is now the room where all the computer equipment is located. Then, for a lack of a better term, there was the problem of "disappearing product" in any such program. They still have someone who is responsible for special event items like t-shirts, factory tour t-shirts, banners, tournament bibs, posters, etc., but having someone running a store with very little walk in business was not working.

djhuff
03-07-2007, 03:10 PM
Sodar, I think you can contact through the MC website (not this one, the company site). Then you schedule a time. when I went, it was just my little group, very personal, we started at the cutting of the fiberglass, then worked all teh way to the finished product. It was very low pressure, ask questions, take pictures, no schedule, just a "what's next" and we moved on.

FYI, Malibu and SC were the same way, but they both seemed like I was a nuisance that they didn't want to have to deal with, whereas Chris made me feel like he lived for giving tours at MC.

G-man
03-07-2007, 03:17 PM
Colbat just took over a plant down the street from MasterCraft about a year ago. They are building 32' and up there.

I stand corrected

Prostar19
03-08-2007, 01:09 PM
I stand corrected

I's new so most people do not know it is there yet :)

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 01:12 PM
I's new so most people do not know it is there yet :)

How do you know, been doing drive-bys?

Ric
03-08-2007, 02:02 PM
I didnt find a steak dinner in Vonore, but maybe you could stop at an old farmers house and tell him your name is farmer

also, DO NOT mess with his daughters and he will let you stay overnite

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 02:49 PM
I didnt find a steak dinner in Vonore, but maybe you could stop at an old farmers house and tell him your name is farmer

also, DO NOT mess with his daughters and he will let you stay overnite

Farmer, watch out for those TN farm women. Last time G-man was in Vonore for a reunion, a girl came by hunting for him with 3 babies in her arms. She was asking for him while he was gone to town to get some work done at the Chevy dealership. She was begging for money, cause she was so ugly, skinny and flatchested, she was having to feed the babies Frosties from Wendy's.

G-man
03-08-2007, 03:01 PM
Thats right Farmer, and all 3 babies were named Harold, even the girl

Monte
03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
:uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :popcorn:

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 03:28 PM

We love you G-man! :D :uglyhamme :uglyhamme :uglyhamme

Prostar19
03-08-2007, 03:50 PM
How do you know, been doing drive-bys?

You know I drive by ther every chance I get. I can not get enough MC :D

Come on Harold you know skinny and Tennessee women do not belong in the same sentence. ANd she must have left the other 6 kids at home

Prostar19
03-08-2007, 03:51 PM
Farmer Ted,

When are you going on your tour of MC?

TMCNo1
03-08-2007, 04:07 PM
You know I drive by ther every chance I get. I can not get enough MC :D

Come on Harold you know skinny and Tennessee women do not belong in the same sentence. ANd she must have left the other 6 kids at home

She told us that she was only 16 years old 4 years ago! 9 kids, ummmmmmmmmmmm?
Boat Owner Reunions and County Fairs, that's about right!

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 05:11 PM
Farmer, if you see this woman, it's Corcina Morephew, G-man's girlfriend up in Vonore, hands off, or he'll get mad and give her to ya!
Skidog is going to hire her as a nurse at CSM in the hospital suite @ the Embassy Suites, so G-man will attend!

Sodar
03-15-2007, 06:13 PM
TMC... you got any more factory pics to give us?

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 06:45 PM
TMC... you got any more factory pics to give us?

No, why? Did someone tell you I had some more?

Truthfully, Yes, but they are of employees and I chose not to post any of them to protect the guilty!
You see, when we visit, they come to work on time to get the goodies we bring and appear to be working which is a very unusual sight!

Sodar
03-15-2007, 06:54 PM
No, why? Did someone tell you I had some more?

Truthfully, Yes, but they are of employees and I chose not to post any of them to protect the guilty!
You see, when we visit, they come to work on time to get the goodies we bring and appear to be working which is a very unusual sight!

OK... I was just wondering if by chance a PS 197 was peeking around the corner in any of your pics!

Farmer Ted
03-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Farmer Ted,

When are you going on your tour of MC?

Shooting for the 23rd, unless they offer the tour on Saturdays....

but No1 mentioned something about factory folks working four 10 hour days....

is the factory open on Fridays?

Holtrodj
03-15-2007, 08:04 PM
I'm going to the factory on the 5th of April. They do offer tours on Friday, but nobody's working. They're working four 10 hr shifts on the shop floor right now, but the office people are in 5 days a week.

TMCNo1
03-15-2007, 08:05 PM
OK... I was just wondering if by chance a PS 197 was peeking around the corner in any of your pics!

I looked thru them and no, but when we went thru the rigging area, there was a solid white 197 that was approaching getting the deck and hull put together and it had a MCX in the stringers. Could have been one of the last TT boats or a special order, but it didn't have any decals on it yet.

Sodar
03-15-2007, 08:20 PM
I looked thru them and no, but when we went thru the rigging area, there was a solid white 197 that was approaching getting the deck and hull put together and it had a MCX in the stringers. Could have been one of the last TT boats or a special order, but it didn't have any decals on it yet.

Cool! Thanks Harold! I figured it was worth a shot! I really wanna fly and see it at the factory and take a tour, but airfare is a little too $$$$!