PDA

View Full Version : Oil bath hubs

River Rat
03-06-2007, 05:00 PM
How often should oil be changed out and does anyone have instructions.:o

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 05:24 PM
How often should oil be changed out and does anyone have instructions.:o

Outside of frequency of oil change, this thread probably covers most of it.http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=14692 Not sure if the newer owners manual covers the frequency or not, but check or someone else can advise on here.

vogelm1
03-06-2007, 06:50 PM
If the oil is still a nice brown color, you're OK. Once a little water gets in there and mixes with the oil it'll turn creamy or milky-looking...that's your cue to change and/or find where the water is coming in. I change my hub oil annually just to be safe. Do maybe 2500 miles of trailering a year. If it's a lot of short trips close to home and your oil looks good I wouldn't worry about too much and maybe do it every couple years. :twocents:

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Along that note, I've heard to use 15W40 or a heavy weight gear oil in them. I was getting water seepage last year and changed the oil out with new oil, but within a few weeks the color was milky again. I got a seal replacement kit from my dealer and will try the gear oil this time. Hopefully its thicker viscosity help resist water intrusion?