PDA

View Full Version : another boat delivery thread


richardsoncd
03-06-2007, 10:27 AM
I think I may have a buyer for my boat. He is in Minneapolis, MN. My add on this website says I may be willing to meet half way, and of course with my luck the buyer would be in MN. On the upside, I know that anyone willing to drive that far will take care of my old girl. Here are a couple of questions.
First: Do I require a deposit before meeting with him, I am doing all I can to give him all the information on my boat before hand, the good, the bad and the ugly. Should I get a deposit first that is non-refundable so if we meet and he doesn't want to buy her I am no worse for wear. If so how much should it be?
Next: Should I charge a little more for the boat by tacking on a delivery fee? Half way is about 600 miles.
Third: Does anyone from the south want to take a road trip with me to Carbondale, KY
Fourth: Is there anyone here near Carbondale, KY that wants to have a beer to drown the sorrows of a guy who just sold his boat?

Thanks fellas...and chickas....

H20skeefreek
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
most definately ask for a non-refundable deposit to cover your gas.

bigmac
03-06-2007, 10:53 AM
I think I may have a buyer for my boat. He is in Minneapolis, MN. My add on this website says I may be willing to meet half way, and of course with my luck the buyer would be in MN. On the upside, I know that anyone willing to drive that far will take care of my old girl. Here are a couple of questions.
First: Do I require a deposit before meeting with him, I am doing all I can to give him all the information on my boat before hand, the good, the bad and the ugly. Should I get a deposit first that is non-refundable so if we meet and he doesn't want to buy her I am no worse for wear. If so how much should it be?
Next: Should I charge a little more for the boat by tacking on a delivery fee? Half way is about 600 miles.
Third: Does anyone from the south want to take a road trip with me to Carbondale, KY
Fourth: Is there anyone here near Carbondale, KY that wants to have a beer to drown the sorrows of a guy who just sold his boat?

Thanks fellas...and chickas....

For that distance, before setting out on the road I'd be inclined to negotiate a purchase agreement and have the buyer sign it, spelling out under what circumstances the deal goes forward and under what circumstances it can be passed on, and you bet I'd want a deposit.

As to tacking on a delivery fee...if that wasn't already spelled out on your website relative to distance then I think you'd be on shakey ground doing it now.

Of course, you can spell out whatever deal you want, depending on what your other options are. If you have a great shot at getting your price from someone local then hauling the boat 600 miles for someone to look at it might be an unnecessary expense.

Advice: be clear on how the payment is to take place. Don't take a cashier's check, bank check, personal check or Western Union. I'd insist on a wire transfer from your bank to his, or good old cash. For a deal like this, I'd meet the guy where he can look at the boat. If he wants it, he calls his bank and has them wire the money to your bank (has to be arranged beforehand) and then you call your bank right then to make sure the transfer is complete (just like on 24..:) ). The banks charge to do that, but it's the safest way to buy a boat at a rest stop on I-94...

SkiDog
03-06-2007, 10:54 AM
I think I may have a buyer for my boat. He is in Minneapolis, MN. My add on this website says I may be willing to meet half way, and of course with my luck the buyer would be in MN. On the upside, I know that anyone willing to drive that far will take care of my old girl. Here are a couple of questions.
First: Do I require a deposit before meeting with him, I am doing all I can to give him all the information on my boat before hand, the good, the bad and the ugly. Should I get a deposit first that is non-refundable so if we meet and he doesn't want to buy her I am no worse for wear. If so how much should it be?
Next: Should I charge a little more for the boat by tacking on a delivery fee? Half way is about 600 miles.
Third: Does anyone from the south want to take a road trip with me to Carbondale, KY
Fourth: Is there anyone here near Carbondale, KY that wants to have a beer to drown the sorrows of a guy who just sold his boat?

Thanks fellas...and chickas....

I would think that if you sent him every piece of info that you could on your boat, and he still wants to see it before signing the dotted line, that a small deposit would be in order. At least pay for your gas to get there.

trickskier
03-06-2007, 11:01 AM
1) I would definitely get a non-refundable deposit of at least $1000.00

2) I would ask for .50 cents a mile (one way) for delivery to cover cost of gas and expenses.

3) I would take the trip with you if I lived in Atlanta............8p

Maristar210
03-06-2007, 11:12 AM
I have always resisted these by the roadside transactions because usually there are at least some suprizes. When I have sold motorcycles in the past I have required full payment prior to meeting the person so there is nothing left for negotiation at some rest stop.

I am not sure of your situation but I would either deliver it all the way for a fee or knock some off if he comes and gets it. It just makes it simpler all the way around. I would not meet this person halfway unless he had already paid for it and the financial portion were complete.

I have seen fake cashiers checks and money orders so do not allow possession of the boat until the funds clear. Cashiers checks can also be authentic and then have a stop payment placed upon them.

You cannot be too careful, there are too many people out there trying rip people off...:rolleyes:

Best of luck, Steve

east tx skier
03-06-2007, 11:13 AM
For that distance, before setting out on the road I'd be inclined to negotiate a purchase agreement and have the buyer sign it, spelling out under what circumstances the deal goes forward and under what circumstances it can be passed on, and you bet I'd want a deposit.

As to tacking on a delivery fee...if that wasn't already spelled out on your website relative to distance then I think you'd be on shakey ground doing it now.

Of course, you can spell out whatever deal you want, depending on what your other options are. If you have a great shot at getting your price from someone local then hauling the boat 600 miles for someone to look at it might be an unnecessary expense.

Advice: be clear on how the payment is to take place. Don't take a cashier's check, bank check, personal check or Western Union. I'd insist on a wire transfer from your bank to his, or good old cash. For a deal like this, I'd meet the guy where he can look at the boat. If he wants it, he calls his bank and has them wire the money to your bank (has to be arranged beforehand) and then you call your bank right then to make sure the transfer is complete (just like on 24..:) ). The banks charge to do that, but it's the safest way to buy a boat at a rest stop on I-94...


I agree with this 100%. Purchase agreement and a nonrefundable deposit in hand before you leave the driveway. Wire transfer to close the deal.

jlf
03-06-2007, 11:14 AM
I drove all the way to CO from WI to purchase a boat from a guy. I wanted to be able to test drive it. You may want to set the meeting up at a lake so it can be test drove, this way you can save yourself the hassels of a phone call when something goes wrong and the person it trying to say it was that way when delivered. I would want some sort of money, if I am driving 600 miles to deliver to make sure the person shows up. I agree with the wire statement. I would also accept a bank check, they are easy to varify and still for the most part pretty safe. Your bank can varify a bank check in a matter of minutes with a phone call. For a deposit I'd do something like 10% with my gas money non refundable or something like $500 non refundable. If you've been upfront with the boats flaws and the guy still wants to see and buy the boat you should be in good shape. When I drove out to CO, first off the lake we were going to use to test drive the boat was frozen over and the boat was in no condition as he described it to be. I was there less than five minutes and got in my truck and drove home again with no boat. We also had not exchanged any money and I drove all the way to get the boat. If they guy is willing to come all the way to get the boat, I'd not require a deposit.

jlf
03-06-2007, 11:17 AM
We also had cash in hand to avoid all the concerns with band checks and so forth.

heychance95
03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Hey, I'm in Hot'lanta too.....Sorry to hear about your boat :(When does this road trip take place? Have you gotten a new one? Really....if you need a pull sometime, just say the word!

djhuff
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
As long as you have been up front with all issues, I wouldn't be worried about him backing out. If anyone is willing to drive that far, then it is probably a good sale. Just make sure the price is negotiated out before hand so that he doesn't get there with 500 less than you decided on saying take it or leave it. Let him know up front that you will be pulling the boat home if he pulls this.

You could even meet at a bank and do the transfer there, as well as notarize any titles, bill of sale, etc.

ctkiteboarding
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
i sold my barefoot 200 to a guy from the carolinas,, i took tons of digital pics and sent them to him. i disclosed all of the flaws in the boat and made sure not to forget anything that might be a suprise to him.

i happen to deliver boats for a living so 500 to 1000 is a fair rate,

cash is king in my book,
but i guess if you are uncomfortable with all that cash a pre arranged bank transfer by phone would work,,

as for the deposit , if you have a solid deal and he pays for the transport before you leave, id waive the deposit, if he bails on the deal you still get paid for the travel,

that being said 1000 looks better then 500 for a delivery fee good luck R

stuie
03-06-2007, 06:16 PM
I drove from Toronto Canada to Memphis Tn to buy my Prostar 205 from
"rspiecha" I talked to him at great lenght about his boat, he had over a hundred pictures available for me to look at. We finalized a price and payment method... I showed up half with cash and the other a certified check... a bit of trust on both sides...me hoping the boat was indeed a perfect 10..it was! and for Robert, that my check was good!! it was. I did not ask to meet him half way, I drove almost 1100 miles door to door, It was a great experience,

Good luck1

Stuart

Footin
03-06-2007, 06:44 PM
When I sold my BF200 to a guy in Canada I had a 500 dollar deposit be fore I drove 100 miles north to cut his trip a little shorter.

I INSISTED on cash, not a cashiers check, certified check, but good ol american cash. When we met, I then took one of those markers they use to check for counterfiet money and checked every 100 dollar bill.

The deal went very smooth for me.