PDA

View Full Version : X-Star Sundeck Hydraulic bypass?

Markaholic
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Just breaking the boat out from Winter and the hydraulic sundeck hatch on my 2000 X-Star won't work. Plenty of battery power and all other accessories working. 2000 is a solid deck across the back and the hydraulic arm locks the hatch down. Hinges are under the hatch top and unaccessable.

I've checked the fuses under the dash and at the battery terminals and all are good. The switch itself looks good.

Anyone know if there is a bypass switch anywhere? Any suggestions?

CRAIGTHEMAN
03-05-2007, 11:09 PM
i also have a 2000 x star and i know that there isn't any bypass switch..check to make sure that where the power for the hatch is hooked to the battery that it has a good connection...otherwise it sounds like the motor quick woking on the lift...you might have to cut the edge of the hinge pin and pound it out.you should be able to get at the hinges at the back of the boat....you can get new hinges from a mastercraft dealer or at www.tacomarine.com they make marine grade hardware and also other things...check it out and good luck...let us know what you did and what went wrong

Sodar
03-06-2007, 08:34 AM
Just breaking the boat out from Winter and the hydraulic sundeck hatch on my 2000 X-Star won't work. Plenty of battery power and all other accessories working. 2000 is a solid deck across the back and the hydraulic arm locks the hatch down. Hinges are under the hatch top and unaccessable.

I've checked the fuses under the dash and at the battery terminals and all are good. The switch itself looks good.

Anyone know if there is a bypass switch anywhere? Any suggestions?

If your actuator is anything like, the actuator we had on our offshore boat, it is not hydraulic, but rather a screw-type system with the motor mounted directly to the side of the actuator, making a release valve useless. Ours was similar to this, except the motor was mounted to the side, rather than inline at the bottom...

http://www.lencomarine.com/Actuator%20Folder/actuatoranimatio.html

On our old boat, we could easily pull a quick release pin at the top of the actuator and that would release the entire actuator unit from the hatch mount. In order to get to this however, we would have to take out a few interior peices to get in the motor compartment, under the hatch... a pain I know, but it is better than tearing up your hatch, hacking away at hinges, etc.

In the future, I would recommend leaving the hatch open just enough to get an arm in the engine compartment, in case something happens. Our boat had the batteries and battery switches all located in the engine compartment, which always seemed like a poor design....

Markaholic
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
Craigtheman,
The boat in your avatar is EXACTLY what mine looks like. My buddy at Boattown in Austin says to find a little kid to squeeze in under the back side seat and pull the pin on the arm.

Developing...

michael freeman
03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
If your actuator is anything like, the actuator we had on our offshore boat, it is not hydraulic, but rather a screw-type system with the motor mounted directly to the side of the actuator, making a release valve useless. Ours was similar to this, except the motor was mounted to the side, rather than inline at the bottom...

http://www.lencomarine.com/Actuator%20Folder/actuatoranimatio.html

On our old boat, we could easily pull a quick release pin at the top of the actuator and that would release the entire actuator unit from the hatch mount. In order to get to this however, we would have to take out a few interior peices to get in the motor compartment, under the hatch... a pain I know, but it is better than tearing up your hatch, hacking away at hinges, etc.

In the future, I would recommend leaving the hatch open just enough to get an arm in the engine compartment, in case something happens. Our boat had the batteries and battery switches all located in the engine compartment, which always seemed like a poor design....

When fixed you can always run a cable to someplace you can reach to disconnect

zeus12
03-06-2007, 10:33 AM
i had this issue on my old boat and i used a wire brush to clean up the electrical connection and it worked fine after that

Markaholic
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Well once I got a hand enough to reach both the switch and the lid, we gave it enough pressure to un-jam. Apparently it was just jammed. Lucky me. I'm installing a wire to the hydraulic arm pin that I can pull from the side under the seat next time.