PDA

View Full Version : Bimini advice requested

suedv
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
I've had major skin problems this winter. I've been told that with all the steroids I've had to use on my skin that it's going to be very sensitive and burn easily this summer. I've already had skin cancer spots in the past so major burning wouldn't be a good thing.

We don't have a bimini top on our boat. It is a 1989 ProStar 190. I'm wondering if it is worth it to put the money in a bimini for this boat or if we should just upgrade.

We don't have a tower but we do have a high pole that Rick and our son use a lot. We for sure need something that would serve that function. Can you put a bimini top up that is big enough to do some good and still have it work with the pole? Or, would we have to add a tower to provide that height function and have a bimini.

We like our boat. It has a nice wake and it is small (which we need when Rick pulls or 5th Wheel and boat for camping). However I don't want to dump a bunch of money in the boat, make it look dumb, have something that doesn't function well for skiing and doesn't provide much shade, and then decide that we should get a different boat.

What do you think? Is there a good and not overly expensive bimini option for our boat? Approximately how much money would it cost? Or, should we do a modest upgrade? We aren't looking for a new boat at this time.

If it helps to see a picture, our boat is the one on the right.

Sodar
03-05-2007, 10:55 PM
At the VERY most, you will spend $700 on a custom bimini. I also use an extended pylon, so I just had a zipper installed in my bimini that allows the pole to penetrate the top. Here are a few pics of mine with the pole....

Sodar
03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Front view...

rodltg2
03-05-2007, 10:58 PM
you can get a decent one from overtons for about 250.
i put one on my 93s&s and it worked and looked good. i installed the zipper myself.

milkmania
03-05-2007, 10:59 PM
I've got a hole sewn into mine for the Skylon Fat Pole

not a problem at all

FrankSchwab
03-06-2007, 12:57 AM
I feel for you. I also have skin issues that strongly suggest I stay out of the sun.

My approach was to simply start wearing long-sleeve Rashguards. You can find them at your local dive shop for $60, or on Ebay for $20-$30 http://stores.ebay.com/The-Beach-Depot_Mens-Rash-Guards_Mens-Long-Sleeve-Rashguards_W0QQfsubZ9217297.

Works great for me, and due to an accumulation of protective blubber over the last several years, fits tightly and I just never notice it. It leaves your upper neck and face uncovered, as well as your hands and legs. I also have a bimini on my boat, and just don't have a problem.

Good Luck.

dapicatti
03-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Sue
My mom is allergic to the sun....she also has had multiple medication related sun damage problems. I know that she found some SPF shirts and pants/shorts etc. that were sun blockers. I can't remember where,but I am sure they are on the net somewhere. She didn't have any burning on her arms/neck etc when she wore these. Another friends of mine's wife had a bout with skin cancer, and he bought her much the same stuff- she wore it religiously and didn't have a problem. At all costs, get the bimini. You are worth whatever it costs.

erkoehler
03-06-2007, 01:12 AM
I've had major skin problems this winter. I've been told that with all the steroids I've had to use on my skin that it's going to be very sensitive and burn easily this summer. I've already had skin cancer spots in the past so major burning wouldn't be a good thing.

We don't have a bimini top on our boat. It is a 1989 ProStar 190. I'm wondering if it is worth it to put the money in a bimini for this boat or if we should just upgrade.

We don't have a tower but we do have a high pole that Rick and our son use a lot. We for sure need something that would serve that function. Can you put a bimini top up that is big enough to do some good and still have it work with the pole? Or, would we have to add a tower to provide that height function and have a bimini.

We like our boat. It has a nice wake and it is small (which we need when Rick pulls or 5th Wheel and boat for camping). However I don't want to dump a bunch of money in the boat, make it look dumb, have something that doesn't function well for skiing and doesn't provide much shade, and then decide that we should get a different boat.

What do you think? Is there a good and not overly expensive bimini option for our boat? Approximately how much money would it cost? Or, should we do a modest upgrade? We aren't looking for a new boat at this time.

If it helps to see a picture, our boat is the one on the right.

Sue, a bimini is definetly an option on your current boat....however, if your looking for a chance to upgrade boats I'd love to help. I think you have the perfect boat for your use already though.

If I can help you in any way whether it is questions about biminis or questions about newer used boats, I'm here for you!

Eric

rodltg2
03-06-2007, 11:59 AM
here is the bimini i bought for 249 @ overtons. not the best but well worth the money.

jraben8
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
The bimini is the best money that you will spend on the boat and yourself. This isn't a great pic but you can get the gist of it. Mine came with a zipper installed.

BrianM
03-06-2007, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately I do not have a picture of my '88 with the bimini deployed but here is one with it in the stored position. With the solid bars at the rear you can store on the lake up out of the way and trailer it in the up position but stored position. Worked really great. I did not use a high pole but as mentioned above a zipper or velcro closure hole will solve that problem.

Edit: Crude I thought the picture was in my gallery. I will find it and post when I do.

Edit: Found it

M-Funf
03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
here is the bimini i bought for 249 @ overtons. not the best but well worth the money.

Rod, Is that your new boat? I guess I hadn't seen pictures yet...Looks like a newer version of mine...SWEET!

Sue, I had a bimini on my old boat and put a zipper in for the pole. Worked like a champ. I don't use a high pole any more, so my bimini doesn't require a zipper. I would suggest using a zipper if you want to easily take down the bimini...I would also suggest the heaviest material you can get. Mine is the "sunbrella" material.

Brian, Does your bimini move around when you tow with it up? I had the rigid arms on mine just like you have, but I didn't like the way it swayed side to side on the road, so I took them off and went back to the straps...I was worried that it would eventually crack the gelcoat or worse...

rodltg2
03-06-2007, 01:03 PM
Rod, Is that your new boat? I guess I hadn't seen pictures yet...Looks like a newer version of mine...SWEET!

Sue, I had a bimini on my old boat and put a zipper in for the pole. Worked like a champ. I don't use a high pole any more, so my bimini doesn't require a zipper. I would suggest using a zipper if you want to easily take down the bimini...I would also suggest the heaviest material you can get. Mine is the "sunbrella" material.

Brian, Does your bimini move around when you tow with it up? I had the rigid arms on mine just like you have, but I didn't like the way it swayed side to side on the road, so I took them off and went back to the straps...I was worried that it would eventually crack the gelcoat or worse...

no that was my old boat from 2 summers ago..

BrianM
03-06-2007, 01:17 PM

It moved a little bit but I towed a lot of miles with it up with no issues at all.

suedv
03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
This is very helpful. Thanks. Now I have a question after seeing Brian's in the stored position. I'm wondering if they don't have rigid arms, where do they typically store?

Would the top be in the way if there was an evening when we went out and didn't want to bother putting the top up?

Sodar
03-06-2007, 02:03 PM
This is very helpful. Thanks. Now I have a question after seeing Brian's in the stored position. I'm wondering if they don't have rigid arms, where do they typically store?

Would the top be in the way if there was an evening when we went out and didn't want to bother putting the top up?

Easiest thing to do, is just lay it down in front of the windshield...

Willski
03-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Sue, I think you'll like a bimini. Mine lays back across the engine cover when not up, which is a pain to climb over, but I think you would really like the bimini when up. It also seems to direct some air down over the driver and passengers which is great when it is really hot.

Willski
03-06-2007, 02:04 PM
Sodar, doesn't the wind catch it when it is forward?

Sodar
03-06-2007, 02:08 PM
Sodar, doesn't the wind catch it when it is forward?

No, the boot has little straps with clips that hook to the boat. This is where my bimini stays while I tow it...

Zach S
03-06-2007, 04:11 PM
Sodar,
Do you have to put the bimini up first and then drop the fly high through the hole in the bimini or what is you procedure for putting the fly high and the bimini up?

Thanks,
Zach

Sodar
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
I put the bimini up first, then slide in the boom. You can slide the boom in from either the top or bottom, but if you have racks, you gotta drop it through the bimini from the top.