PDA

View Full Version : 06 X2 reprop

mitchj
03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
Anybody reprop their 06 X 2 if so with what and what rpm does it spin at 23 mph also what do you think of the prop versus the stock unit
joe
mitchell

mitchj
03-04-2007, 10:28 PM
I bolted on the 07 X2 14 -14.5 toaday and it was awsome except the rpms were high 3200 @ 23 mph what did the acme do for you I am trying to eliminate some of the bow rise and trying to lift the tail some?

mitchj
03-04-2007, 10:34 PM
The stock prop i used today made the boat work like it should other than rpm, im not sold on the OJ looks cheap to me

duckguy
03-04-2007, 11:10 PM
1285 is similar in performance and silk

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Have you contacted OJ to find out what might work best for your application? I found OJ great to work with (Eric @ OJ) and the prop they tuned for me has been flawless and smooth.

FWIW: OJ allowed me to demo 2 props. I picked the one I like the best but told them I was concerned with RPM increase and top end loss. They took the prop back and cupped it to get back some of the characteristics I was concerned with.

My point: Call whichever company you want to work with (I have no experience with ACME, but I've heard they make a good prop) and let them know what you want.

duckguy: Care to shed some light as to why you perceive OJ props to be crap?

Take care,
Paul

duckguy
03-04-2007, 11:29 PM
Well I would say it would have to do with the rough nature that my and all stock X2's that I have driven. I am not refering to RPM or performance, just smoothness. You will never know how good our boat is unitl you try an Acme. My boat with an OJ was like driving a car with an imbalanced tire.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-04-2007, 11:36 PM
My boat with an OJ was like driving a car with an imbalanced tire.
That's the way mine was until I got the new OJ. I must have nudged something with the stock OJ and not realized it (nothing visual), but OJ took care of that for me too (it's my backup now).

I've heard ACME's are smooth, but I guess I just have no complaints with the smoothness of mine.

X2's being the NEW X2's or the 205V hull 'older' X2?

Thanks for the clarification.

Bobbyk
03-04-2007, 11:42 PM
Does anyone have a link for either oj or acme?

KnoxX2
03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Did it get rid of the bow rise?

projectely4
03-05-2007, 01:06 AM
thats interesting that you have alot of bow rise because i think that Mastercraft changed the 06 x2 prop on the 07 model because on the 06's there was to much tail lift which was hurting the wakeboarding performance. i you have alot of bow rise you may just be running to much weight in the rear. the new x2 loves alot of weight up front being such a short boat

EJ OJPROP
03-05-2007, 06:30 AM
Our XMP EDGE 4-blade 14.25 X 14.5, part# 473, will work well for your application. The EDGE line was developed specifically for the wakeboard boats. I built the 14.25 X 14.5 around the MasterCraft boats as well as the 14.25 X 14.75. As I have said here many times, you guys are all welcome to try one of of our props before you purchase. I will put the performance of our propeller up against anyone's out there.

Eric Johnson
ojprops.com
800-359-9730

mitchj
03-05-2007, 09:14 PM
Eric I called your shop four times and your mom wanted to help me and I never got a return call from you. The bow rise went away but the rpm is way up, my stock oj prop was not balanced and shook the boat from day one .The new prop is smooth nose is down some what but the rpms are up whats next Joe

mitchj
03-05-2007, 09:20 PM
Your mom recomended the 14.25 x 14.5 what would you gain or loose by going to the 14.25X 14.75 I want it to work like it does but bring the rpm back down Joe Mitchell The original prop is a 13.7 X 17 it has a ding in it now but always vibrated .

duckguy
03-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Well the rpm will be up to get it to work like it does. If you want smooth, wholeshot, and factory prop rpms, you need a magic wand not a new prop.

mitchj
03-06-2007, 02:11 AM
It didnt need any more hole shot it needs the bow down and rpm to remain close to what it was originally and no vibration, 3200 or so is rediculous @ 22mph ,

EJ OJPROP
03-06-2007, 06:29 AM
Joe - My Mom does not work here. Although the lady that answers the phone is a bit motherly and also does a fine job.

You can send the 13.7 X 17 in and I will take care of the ding at no charge. The 14.25 X 14.5 is now standard for that boat. We run the 14.25 X 14.75 on a boat with 6.0 motor. I can add cup to your propeller to lower the RPM if you'd send it in.

Eric

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
Joe - My Mom does not work here. Although the lady that answers the phone is a bit motherly and also does a fine job.

You can send the 13.7 X 17 in and I will take care of the ding at no charge. The 14.25 X 14.5 is now standard for that boat. We run the 14.25 X 14.75 on a boat with 6.0 motor. I can add cup to your propeller to lower the RPM if you'd send it in.

Eric

mitchj, now that's service. Eric has extended a helping hand, now is the time to give him a chance to satisfy your needs.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Does anyone have a link for either oj or acme?

http://www.ojprops.com/

sand2snow22
03-06-2007, 12:53 PM
If you want smooth, wholeshot, and factory prop rpms, you need a magic wand not a new prop.

MCX, might have a little to do with it, but I get all that and a great top end with my stock prop. I think it's an OJ, Eric, what prop do I have, 2005 X2?

EJ OJPROP
03-06-2007, 02:24 PM
My guess would be the 13.7 X 17

duckguy
03-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I Still think you will be much happier with that ACME. They are a better prop

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 04:35 PM

I don't usually do this, but,
Just my opinion, just like your choice of props is yours, but I think it is very unprofessional, disrespectable and rude to insist on slamming one of MasterCrafts major suppliers openly on this site over and over while the whole watersports community is watching.

dmayer84
03-06-2007, 04:38 PM

So you would not take any of the ideas or suggestions from Johsonson that are no cost to you untill you are satisfied and just go and get another prop from another company?

Johnson is doing something that a company that stands behind their product should do, not get paid untill the customer is happy.

dmayer84
03-06-2007, 04:38 PM
I don't usually do this, but,
Just my opinion, just like your choice of props is yours, but I think it is very unprofessional, disrespectable and rude to insist on slamming one of MasterCrafts major suppliers openly on this site over and over while the whole watersports community is watching.
Agree with you on that one.

TMCNo1
03-06-2007, 05:02 PM
He asks for opionions on props-I gave it. ACME is better. Whats the difference if they are a major supplier,they shouldnt be. They should go the way Clarion speakers did! I wont slam them when they make a supperior product to ACME.

Until you are a decision making position at MasterCraft, all you have is a opinion, but you must remember this is a MasterCraft site above all and if nothing else, please show them some respect.

duckguy
03-06-2007, 05:07 PM
Well that is my opinion I shared it and I showed them respect by shelling out 70k on a new boat, using it, loving it, and sharing how it can be better.

EJ OJPROP
03-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Against my better judgement......Duck, As I said in my PM to you, I asked you try one of my propellers in a like size and make an honest comparison. I respect your opinion. I disagree with your opinon my propellers are crap though. I do think we have a product line that is more than worthy of being part of one of the top of line ski boats in the business and a propeller that can stand next to any other propeller on the market. I take a lot of pride in our entire line of products, propellers, underwatergear, shaft seal systems, that we produce and service.

I'm not here to get in back and forth disagreement with you or anyone else. I'm just trying to help with questions regarding the products we supply to this builder.

BrianM
03-06-2007, 05:38 PM
Well I am going to chime in.

Sorry duckguy I think you are being a complete arse! Eric is a stand up guy and is giving you a chance to try his product for free. Why not take him up on the offer to give it a try? :confused: Maybe just maybe you will like it better than the Acme. Maybe you will think it is a POS (doubtful). Or maybe you will think that it performs on par with the Acme. Either way you win.

Were you running a regular forged OJ prop before? In that case yeah the Acme is going to be worlds apart from a forged prop. I can tell you first hand that the XMP and the Acme CNC'd props perform nearly identicaly. I have tried both side by side on 3 different boats and comparing the two is to coin a phrase "like picking gnat sh!t out of pepper"

Bashing a product when you haven't compared apples to apples is pretty ignorant. Until you have I suggest you shut your trap.:noface:

Off the soap box.:rant:

east tx skier
03-06-2007, 05:45 PM
Well I am going to chime in.

Sorry duckguy I think you are being a complete arse! Eric is a stand up guy and is giving you a chance to try his product for free. Why not take him up on the offer to give it a try? :confused: Maybe just maybe you will like it better than the Acme. Maybe you will think it is a POS (doubtful). Or maybe you will think that it performs on par with the Acme. Either way you win.

Were you running a regular forged OJ prop before? In that case yeah the Acme is going to be worlds apart from a forged prop. I can tell you first hand that the XMP and the Acme CNC'd props perform nearly identicaly. I have tried both side by side on 3 different boats and comparing the two is to coin a phrase "like picking gnat **** out of pepper"

Bashing a product when you haven't compared apples to apples is pretty ignorant. Until you have I suggest you shut your trap.:noface:

Off the soap box.:rant:

I took the Pepsi challenge as well. I kept the Acme, which is not to say that both props didn't perform well. The Acme did have the advantage of being paid in full though (I'd purchased it the year before). The person who did the testing with me bought an XMP from Eric a few months later.

BrianM
03-06-2007, 05:47 PM
I took the Pepsi challenge as well. I kept the Acme, which is not to say that both props didn't perform well. The Acme did have the advantage of being paid in full though (I'd purchased it the year before). The person who did the testing with me bought an XMP from Eric a few months later.

Same thing happend with me. I already owned the Acme so I stuck with it. My ski partner put the OJ on his 205.

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-06-2007, 06:26 PM
I personally would hate to lose a resource like Eric on this forum. We have come too close to losing some of our best resources based on the way opinions have been stated in the past.

It's OK to have an opinion and state it, but the manner/tone in which we chose can sometimes be improved upon. IMO, hearing both side of the coin is beneficial as long as it doesn't come across as bashing.

FWIW: Am I biased towards OJ? Yes. They responded to a thread of mine on another forum. I contacted them (Eric) and they gave me no reason to go anywhere else. Their product has performed great for me.

Just like when buying a boat. Take the two (or more) products you are considering and test them. Then make the choice for yourself. Eric is offering people that opportunity.

I'm sorry...I usually try to steer clear of this stuff, but I like to have experts to ask questions. Maybe the winter has been too long and it's time to get out and ride!

Take care everyone,
Paul

duckguy
03-06-2007, 10:50 PM
Brian M-You are right I am an ***-No doubt. But to set a few things straight. I am very loyal to a brand or dealer that has done good. My OJ was dissapointing. I will however be willing to do this Eric. I will test a prop. Provide pics, stats such as rpm, driving impressions in a full write up for the site. I will admit that your offer is very stand up and I am impressed. I think this will be a valuable tool for the folks on the site to utilize in the future.

Jesus_Freak
03-06-2007, 11:42 PM
Against my better judgement......Duck, As I said in my PM to you, I asked you try one of my propellers in a like size and make an honest comparison. I respect your opinion. I disagree with your opinon my propellers are crap though. I do think we have a product line that is more than worthy of being part of one of the top of line ski boats in the business and a propeller that can stand next to any other propeller on the market. I take a lot of pride in our entire line of products, propellers, underwatergear, shaft seal systems, that we produce and service.

I'm not here to get in back and forth disagreement with you or anyone else. I'm just trying to help with questions regarding the products we supply to this builder.

We certainly appreciate you Eric.

mitchj
03-06-2007, 11:56 PM
Eric I will call you tommorrow thanx Joe

X45owner
03-07-2007, 12:08 AM
Eric,

I just purchased the XMP 14.25 X 14.50. I have a X45 with the 6.0. Should I have purchased the 14.25 X 14.75. I didn't know this was an option. What will I gain?

Bobbyk
03-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the link Chincy.

mitchj
03-07-2007, 12:43 AM
Bobby k where did you buy your boat ? I got mine in Santa Rosa did you get that number its in this thread Joe

Bobbyk
03-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Ultimate, I bought my 04 form dave at ski world.

Bobbyk
03-07-2007, 12:53 AM
do you know greg or Jammen?

mitchj
03-07-2007, 12:54 AM
Mine came from Dave at ski world also .

Bobbyk
03-07-2007, 01:06 AM
Right on hes a cool guy. Last I knew of he was down in Petaluma at Hammer's.

mitchj
03-07-2007, 01:08 AM
I saw him at the boat show he is a good guy ...... Do you get alot of bow rise out of your X2 ?

PendO
03-07-2007, 01:14 AM
on the last day of the season I tried a 3 blade Acme on my 197 ... I would have tried a 3 blade OJ, but they don't make one for my application (hint hint Eric, can you make a 3 blade for the 1.26:1:)) ... it wasn't an apples to apples comparison, so the rpm/speed was slightly different, but I wanted to see if the 3 blade would get me any more top end, and closer to 5200rpms (comparison link here) (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=297946&postcount=38) ... however, I did get a new OJ for the 04Xstar (19.5 pitch for the 8.1L) I am anxious to try it out as we have had great luck with the cnc'd OJ's (original cast SS prop cracked and was warrantied for the 14.5X22) but I think the stock prop was a a little to large (14.5X22) and the backup is a (13.7X17) which is great for surfing ... so we are anxious to try the 13.7X19.5 and see how it stacks up (I'll have to find the prop in the garage and see if it is the 460 or 462)

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=243082&postcount=22

Eric, nice to know that the lady who answers the phones is not your mom, however, she was very cordial to talk with last year when I ordered the prop.

fwiw guys, here is the oj application guide
http://www.ojprops.com/site/OJProps_applicationguide.pdf

EJ OJPROP
03-07-2007, 06:28 AM
X45owner - The 14.75 will keep the motor off the limiter perform better overall. I'll be happy to trade the 14.5 out for a 14.75. Just give me a call.

Eric
800-359-9730

EJ OJPROP
03-07-2007, 06:35 AM
PendO - I built the 13.7 X 15 to attain the specs asked for by MC and Indmar. They wanted the motor to turn no more than 4900 and see 3600 RPM at 36 MPH and 3400 RPM at 34 MPH and maintain those speeds smoothly. Speed was not a concern on the 197 as it is built mainly for 3 event skiing. Max and mid range RPM drove the size of the propeller for the boat.

The 19.5 should be a hevy cup version in order to keep the motor off the limiter.

EJ OJPROP
03-07-2007, 06:36 AM
Duck - I am ready when you are. Give me a call or e-mail me your address so I can ship you a propeller. Thank you for taking the time to run an OJ. I do appreciate it.

Chief
03-07-2007, 06:43 AM
So what was the final verdict for the best size for a 06 X2? I have the Maristar version and really never run wide open but would like the better pull out of the hole without the bow being way up in the air. I'm an OJ guy since Acme is what Willie Coyote runs on his boat. (Not bashing Acme, just joking)

Welcome back to the forum ducky, we have missed your straight forwardness’.

PendO
03-07-2007, 10:26 AM
PendO - I built the 13.7 X 15 to attain the specs asked for by MC and Indmar. They wanted the motor to turn no more than 4900 and see 3600 RPM at 36 MPH and 3400 RPM at 34 MPH and maintain those speeds smoothly. Speed was not a concern on the 197 as it is built mainly for 3 event skiing. Max and mid range RPM drove the size of the propeller for the boat.

The 19.5 should be a hevy cup version in order to keep the motor off the limiter.

Eric - thanks for the info, all the while I was wondering why I could not see 5200rpm's ... now it makes sence ... the reason I wanted more speed was for a barefooter that goes behind my boat longline, he is a bigger guy and felt the water was a little soft at wide open throttle when he tried to stand on one foot.

Here is what I was seeing with your OEM 15' pitch, if I sent it back could I pay to have the prop modified to get another 300-400 rpms (with the hopes of getting a little more top end? - would it be a matter of taking diameter out?) I did see a decrease of 100-150 rpms, but that may be from a very slight ding and a by the end of the year the hull was probably sticking to the water a bit more with the coat of wax wearing off. Thanks so much for the information, I kept waiting for my boat to break in and get stronger - but it sounds like I was getting the performance that the MC expected out of the prop.

1. Max RPM at Wide Open Throttle ....4750
2. Max Speed at Wide Open Throttle ......42.5
3. Year of Boat ....2006
4. Manf. & Model ....MC 197
5. Engine ....MCX
6. Transmission gear ratio ....1.26:1
7. Prop dimensions (# of blades and pitch) ....13.7 X 15 (nibral)
8. Octane of fuel .... 92
9. Normal operating Elevation ....2062

**** here is the picture of the slight ding on my OJ - blades are all still true, seems like I just scraped metal away??

PendO
03-07-2007, 10:40 AM

dapicatti
03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
Eric
As an 06 X2 owner, I really appreciate your willingness to be open and candid regarding your product. We sometimes get caught up in X vs Y brand around here, and its nice to see you step up and showcase your products.(demos etc.)

EJ OJPROP
03-07-2007, 11:06 AM
What is the RPM at 34 or 36 MPH? The ding I see should not cause any issues with RPM. Reducing the diameter will increase the RPM, in all ranges. So if your mid range RPM is close to 1:1 you will see a pretty good increase there. Keep in mind as well the elevation of 2000 will hurt the motor a bit. Send it in and I will make whatever change you'd like.

Eric

EJ OJPROP
03-07-2007, 11:11 AM
dapicatti - Thanks for the response.

PendO
03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
What is the RPM at 34 or 36 MPH? The ding I see should not cause any issues with RPM. Reducing the diameter will increase the RPM, in all ranges. So if your mid range RPM is close to 1:1 you will see a pretty good increase there. Keep in mind as well the elevation of 2000 will hurt the motor a bit. Send it in and I will make whatever change you'd like.

Eric

Thanks, I will get it out of storage in the next month and go out and see what my mph/rpm curve looks like at 34 and 36, and go from there .... also, since it will get waxed before I put it in the water to start the year, I will be able to rule out waxing the hull as part of the issue ...

mitchj
03-07-2007, 11:18 AM
I had the chance to talk with Eric today and we talked about several things and he is definately a good guy thanx Eric looking forward to working with you Joe

X45owner
03-07-2007, 05:56 PM
After reading this thread, I have to say Eric is the type of guy I would support. Specifically, his response to critisism, speaks volumes about his character. This site has repeditively addressed "Customer Service," or the lack thereof. I think Eric is demonstrating what we all have in mind when we speak of "Exceptional Customer Service."

BrianM
03-07-2007, 06:17 PM
After reading this thread, I have to say Eric is the type of guy I would support. Specifically, his response to critisism, speaks volumes about his character. This site has repeditively addressed "Customer Service," or the lack thereof. I think Eric is demonstrating what we all have in mind when we speak of "Exceptional Customer Service."

Couldn't be better said.

Waterski-Marcoisland
04-03-2007, 11:07 PM
I have a 2007 X2 with the 14.25 x 14.5 and cannot break 40mph. Should I go to the 14.75 to get alittle more mph or go to the 13.7x17

Waterski-Marcoisland
04-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I would like to be around 45 mph, I dont want to hurt my mpg though, I do add extra ballast from time to time but do verious forms of skiing from barefooting, hydrofoiling,wakeboarding and tubing. I will be calling tommorow Eric. db

06' X-2 R8R H8R
04-04-2007, 12:09 AM
Had mine up to 50MPH last week with the stock prop....ran like a top.