PDA

View Full Version : 07 Avalanche Opinions

dapicatti
03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
Looking seriously at adding a 07 Avalanche to our garage. I know that some of you have already hashed this out long ago. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share or opinions on long term ownership. I would have never considered them until 07 when they ditched the extra body molding. Thoughts guys?

JohnE
03-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Looking seriously at adding a 07 Avalanche to our garage. I know that some of you have already hashed this out long ago. I was wondering if anyone had any experiences to share or opinions on long term ownership. I would have never considered them until 07 when they ditched the extra body molding. Thoughts guys?

I have an '05 Avalanche and absolutely love it. I also had an '03 previously. Neither had the body hardware. '03 was the first year that the vehicle was available without the body hardware. They stopped even offering the harware for the '06 model year. I agree, there's no way I'd have bought it with all the plastic on it.

What are you comparing it to? The ride blows away that of a pickup.

dapicatti
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
I am looking at the Chev/GMC pickups or the Avalanche. I like the Avalanches ride, seems like our Yukon.

dapicatti
03-04-2007, 05:14 PM
Need to stick with GMC/Chev for the dealer....its a business thing.

JohnE
03-04-2007, 05:59 PM
The Avalanche is basically the Suburban with the back half being a bed. Again, it rides much better than a pick-up. And the rear seating area has tons of room. Everyone who hangs with us loves it.

I have a close friend who heckled me while I was thinking about buyng it. Told me to buy a 4 door pickup. Real opinionated guy, always has a F250 or 350. 6 months later he buys one.

Jerseydave
03-04-2007, 06:46 PM
For pulling your X2, I think it's a great choice.

I almost bought one, but the 1/2 ton won't pull my camper so I would need a 3/4 ton. So I decided not to buy a new truck and bought the X-star instead! (my 2000 Suburban has low mileage so I'll get another 4-5 years out of it at least)

The Avalanche I test drove was extremely nice, good power and ride.
Don't get the 3:73 axle, it kills the gas mileage rating down to 11 city and 15 highway. Stock gear ratio should be fine for you I would think.

(Let me guess.........you want black right?)

BrianM
03-04-2007, 07:54 PM
I have had an '07 Avalanche LTZ since June and just turned 14k miles in it. Previous vehicle was an '03 Sierra Ex Cab which I traded with just over 80k miles. I too wpuld have never considered a cladded Avalanche. The Avalanche is heads and shoulders above my previous truck and previous generation Avalanches in all respects (ride, comfort, fit and finish, power, 100k warranty). It is an amazing ride on the road (I drive alot of miles) and tows as good as my '03. The versitility of the Avalanche is great. Lots of passenger room and a huge weatherproof 'trunk'. Or fold down the midgate and haul 4x8 sheets of whatever or haul 8ft lumber in a weather tight bed. I could go on but I won't. Bottom line is it is perfect for my needs and I would highly reccomend a serious look at one.

The Chevy Avalanche Fan Club has a great message forum with a lot of activity. Read through some of the posts there for tons of info. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php

Oh one final thing. Don't be fooled by the window sticker. The displacement on demand does not realy provide much increase in fuel economy. I average 16.5 mpg in my 2wd 5.3l with the 3.73 which is about 70% highway and I am a pretty conservitive on the throttle. This are big heavy trucks. But a little research on the enthusiast sites will show what I am getting is as good or better than most peoples real world experience.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I would be glad to try and answer.

The Avalanche I test drove was extremely nice, good power and ride.
Don't get the 3:73 axle, it kills the gas mileage rating down to 11 city and 15 highway. Stock gear ratio should be fine for you I would think.

That isn't really true. The standard rear end is now the 3.73 with the 4.10 as an option. There is actually some indication that the 4.10 may actually improve the mileage by a very small amount due to putting the engine in a little more of a sweet spot on the power curve allowing the DOD to kick in a little more frequently. I have the standard 3.73 and average about 16.5mpg

aprgriggs
03-04-2007, 08:07 PM
I had a 2002 2500 AV and I loved it. I sold it last year and wish every day that I would have kept that truck. I has everything a truck can offer but has the great ride of a SUV. You get the best of both worlds and the back hard cover keep everything dry. You can't go wrong with this truck. Good Luck

milkmania
03-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I had a 2002 2500 AV and I loved it. I sold it last year and wish every day that I would have kept that truck. I has everything a truck can offer but has the great ride of a SUV. You get the best of both worlds and the back hard cover keep everything dry. You can't go wrong with this truck. Good Luck
Hey April,

Good to see you:)

you doing better?

edit:
(looking back on your prevous threads, I think I may have you mixed up with someone that was having some health problems)

Footin
03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
The 07's are very nice, I have been looking at new and used ones for a few months also. I will probably end up with a low mileage 03 to 06. (ya, i'm cheep)

Archimedes
03-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I've got an 07 Avi LTZ 4wd and love it. Tows very well, great ride and interior, and it's just a really functional truck. Unless I have mechanical problems, I'm keeping this thing for a long, long time.

milkmania
03-04-2007, 08:37 PM
I like this 05:love:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/redleg_2002av/new%20Rosie/smyrnagtg2.jpg

LakePirate
03-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I have an 02 with the cladding and I think they look stupid without it.

I have 145,000 miles and (knock on wood) have had no problems to date.

H20skeefreek
03-04-2007, 11:18 PM
I like this 05:love:

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/redleg_2002av/new%20Rosie/smyrnagtg2.jpg
Does that have hydraulics? Looks a little too high in the rear.

aprgriggs
03-04-2007, 11:48 PM
yes, I had a baby boy. He is 2 months now and I am finally getting a chance to catch up on some reading. Thanks for asking.

Hey April,

Good to see you:)

you doing better?

edit:
(looking back on your prevous threads, I think I may have you mixed up with someone that was having some health problems)

milkmania
03-05-2007, 12:01 AM
Does that have hydraulics? Looks a little too high in the rear.

dunno, but here's the guy's story....
they's also a link in there for his painter near Jacksonville, FL.
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php?PHPSESSID=6970d80c6e1b418a3b5479122b2413 87&topic=68617.msg1051647

here's his photobucket album of 57 pics
http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f328/redleg_2002av/new%20Rosie/

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 09:00 AM
For pulling your X2, I think it's a great choice.

(Let me guess.........you want black right?)

Would love black, just like the Denali however I have to go white for work. Still matches the boat, just not as well.:)

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I have had an '07 Avalanche LTZ since June and just turned 14k miles in it. Previous vehicle was an '03 Sierra Ex Cab which I traded with just over 80k miles. I too wpuld have never considered a cladded Avalanche. The Avalanche is heads and shoulders above my previous truck and previous generation Avalanches in all respects (ride, comfort, fit and finish, power, 100k warranty). It is an amazing ride on the road (I drive alot of miles) and tows as good as my '03. The versitility of the Avalanche is great. Lots of passenger room and a huge weatherproof 'trunk'. Or fold down the midgate and haul 4x8 sheets of whatever or haul 8ft lumber in a weather tight bed. I could go on but I won't. Bottom line is it is perfect for my needs and I would highly reccomend a serious look at one.

The Chevy Avalanche Fan Club has a great message forum with a lot of activity. Read through some of the posts there for tons of info. http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php

Oh one final thing. Don't be fooled by the window sticker. The displacement on demand does not realy provide much increase in fuel economy. I average 16.5 mpg in my 2wd 5.3l with the 3.73 which is about 70% highway and I am a pretty conservitive on the throttle. This are big heavy trucks. But a little research on the enthusiast sites will show what I am getting is as good or better than most peoples real world experience.

If you have any specific questions let me know and I would be glad to try and answer.

That isn't really true. The standard rear end is now the 3.73 with the 4.10 as an option. There is actually some indication that the 4.10 may actually improve the mileage by a very small amount due to putting the engine in a little more of a sweet spot on the power curve allowing the DOD to kick in a little more frequently. I have the standard 3.73 and average about 16.5mpg

Brian
Thanks for all the info. I read your earlier polls and discussions, just wanted to see if you still liked yours after owning it for awhile. I also put tons of miles on my rigs for work, so I wanted to be sure that you were still happy with yours.

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 09:05 AM

I have a good friend who has the 03 with cladding and loves it. I have always liked the Avalanche, just wasn't sure I liked the extra stuff on it. Kind of like the Escalades and Denalis- I like them better clean.

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 09:08 AM
I've got an 07 Avi LTZ 4wd and love it. Tows very well, great ride and interior, and it's just a really functional truck. Unless I have mechanical problems, I'm keeping this thing for a long, long time.
I am leaning towards the LTZ 4WD- lots of mountain passes with snow near me. Plus, after being spoiled by the wife's Denali I prefer all the good stuff inside.

BrianM
03-05-2007, 09:47 AM
Brian
Thanks for all the info. I read your earlier polls and discussions, just wanted to see if you still liked yours after owning it for awhile. I also put tons of miles on my rigs for work, so I wanted to be sure that you were still happy with yours.

If you put a lot of road miles on it I think you will be very happy. It rides infinitely better than my '03 Sierra and I thought it rode pretty good on the highway. What are you driving now?

JohnE
03-05-2007, 09:49 AM

Sorry Lake, I hope I didn't insult you. I have a friend with one with the cladding.

I'm guessing though that you and he are in the minority, or else Chevy would still offer it.

JohnE
03-05-2007, 10:12 AM
I have had an '07 Avalanche LTZ since June and just turned 14k miles in it. Previous vehicle was an '03 Sierra Ex Cab which I traded with just over 80k miles. I too wpuld have never considered a cladded Avalanche. The Avalanche is heads and shoulders above my previous truck and previous generation Avalanches in all respects (ride, comfort, fit and finish, power, 100k warranty). It is an amazing ride on the road.

I've held off on looking at the newer Avalanches. They changed them in '06. I've heard that they are much improved. (Although I can't imagine how the ride can be improved but I guess it is.) I'm afraid I'll buy one if I drive one.

I'm not crazy about the new look in certain colors. I think the Black looks phonomenal, but some lighter colors I don't like with the additional plastic bempers, etc.

What color do you have Brian? I've never seen a 2wd, either. But if you don't need the 4wd, there's no sense in paying for it.

BrianM
03-05-2007, 10:21 AM
What color do you have Brian? I've never seen a 2wd, either. But if you don't need the 4wd, there's no sense in paying for it.
Black LTZ. I took off the running boards and painted the bowties black (couldn't stand the big ugly gold bowties) and took off a few of the emblems. On the '07 there is no difference in ride height between the 2wd and 4wd so you may very well have seen some new 2wd and not known it.

etduc
03-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Black LTZ. I took off the running boards and painted the bowties black (couldn't stand the big ugly gold bowties) and took off a few of the emblems. On the '07 there is no difference in ride height between the 2wd and 4wd so you may very well have seen some new 2wd and not known it.

Nice ride.

Wish Chevy, would make a SS version.

Have ya'll seen the SS TrailBlazer.

BrianM
03-05-2007, 12:07 PM
Nice ride.

Wish Chevy, would make a SS version.

Have ya'll seen the SS TrailBlazer.

You can get the 6.0 in the Avalanche now. Pair that up with a 4x4 LTZ and you have a truck that performs better than the previous SS Silverado just without the badges.

JohnE
03-05-2007, 01:34 PM
Nice truck, Brian. Yeah, I don't like the look of the big gold bowtie on the tailgate. Never really noticed th one on the front until you mentioned it.

Edit to add: The truck looks fantastic in Black. And would match my new 197......Uh maybe I should stop by the loal dealer after all.

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 10:57 PM
Nice Truck Brian....now I really want the black.
What did you use to paint over the bow tie with?

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 11:36 PM
If you put a lot of road miles on it I think you will be very happy. It rides infinitely better than my '03 Sierra and I thought it rode pretty good on the highway. What are you driving now?
Switching from company car to company truck. We have Dodges, Fords and Chev's in our fleet....have driven them all don't necessarily need a pickup. Other option is a Tahoe/Yukon but who wants 2 of those at home?:confused:

Monte
03-05-2007, 11:43 PM
Switching from company car to company truck. We have Dodges, Fords and Chev's in our fleet....have driven them all don't necessarily need a pickup. Other option is a Tahoe/Yukon but who wants 2 of those at home?:confused:

I'd take the avalanche if you have a choice................ Brians is nice

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 11:55 PM
It would be nice for all of those times I need to go to the shop and get a truck to do something with.....

Monte
03-05-2007, 11:57 PM
It would be nice for all of those times I need to go to the shop and get a truck to do something with.....

Then you need a truck........... Go for the truck;)

BrianM
03-06-2007, 09:39 AM
Nice Truck Brian....now I really want the black.
What did you use to paint over the bow tie with?
I took both of the bowties off and sanded and prepped them. They are plastic. I put three coats of black Krylon Fusion paint topped off by six coat of Duplicolor clear coat. Has held up great. The front has a couple of rock chips but then again so does my bumper. I might redo it in a few months but it is a pretty easy deal. For any color other than black Duplicolor makes color match touch up spray cans but the Fusion adhears better to the plastic.

I think you would be happy with the Av then. You get the same ride as a Tahoe/Yukon with the utility (maybe even more utility) than a truck.

dapicatti
03-06-2007, 10:28 AM
The ride is so much better than any of the trucks, I am really thinking the Av is the way to go. Thanks for all of the info.

jlf
03-06-2007, 10:52 AM
I don't have the '07, but I do have an '05 Av. I love it. My husband wasn't crazy about them, but I've wanted one since they came out. I didn't get one with the cladding. I'm pretty sure in my '05 I have pretty much all options available and I love it. It turns out we drive my truck every where and we've used the bed for more things than I think my husband ever imagined we would. We've hauled 12 foot pieces of sheet rock and they barley hang out the back once you fold the mid gate down. We've taken it on road trips and completely removed the mid gate all together and then folded the rear seats back up, this way you had access to the bed without stopping. We put the cooler in the bed and then we took turns sleeping. We'd fold down one rear seat and put the sleeping bag into the bed and sleep that way. We were surprised with the mid gate out the road noise really wasn't much louder. I love it in the summer I take the rear window out all the time and open the sun roof almost like a convertable. We also really like the sealed bed, it works perfect for snowmobile trips our gear in the back doesn't get all full of snow and wet. I don't really have an issue with the gas milage I think I get pretty good milage. In town I get about 18mpg I'd say and on the highway I can get 20mpg or better. I do have the 4:10 gears in mine. That was the husbands doing. I really want an '07 I just rolled mine 36000 last week so it's time to trade it in. He won't let me near a new one 'cause he knows we'll have one. I haven't had any trouble with mine since I had it. I think the ride is pretty smooth. It tows really nice, we haven't had any issues with that. My husband just pulled out neighbor out of the ditch with my truck last week.

I only have two complaints about the truck, #1 the rear window is so damn reflective in the inside that when you try to back up at night, all you can see out the rear window is the dashboard. It is really bad. #2 the rear end does sit high so when backing up you have to be careful and hooking up the boat is impossible without some help. Of course my husband can do it with no trouble at all. The '07 might not sit as high in the rear with the new body design. I have also crancked up my torsion bars to help eliminate some of the wedge that they have. My truck sits more level than some.

BrianM
03-06-2007, 11:55 AM
I only have two complaints about the truck, #1 the rear window is so damn reflective in the inside that when you try to back up at night, all you can see out the rear window is the dashboard. It is really bad. #2 the rear end does sit high so when backing up you have to be careful and hooking up the boat is impossible without some help. Of course my husband can do it with no trouble at all. The '07 might not sit as high in the rear with the new body design. I have also crancked up my torsion bars to help eliminate some of the wedge that they have. My truck sits more level than some.
#1 I actually made it worse by putting 5% tint over the factory tint. Great the day and it looks great especially with the black truck but useless at night.

#2 Now available with rear ultrasonic park assist and a rear backup camera if you have the NAV system. I have the ultasonic but not the camera which is plenty of extra help for me even with the tinted windows

JohnE
03-06-2007, 12:02 PM

I only have two complaints about the truck, #1 the rear window is so damn reflective in the inside that when you try to back up at night, all you can see out the rear window is the dashboard. It is really bad.

That doesn't bother me because I always use the side mirrors for backing up. But I agree, you can't see out the rear window at night.

jlf
03-06-2007, 12:06 PM
That doesn't bother me because I always use the side mirrors for backing up. But I agree, you can't see out the rear window at night.
I do now!!

jlf
03-06-2007, 12:09 PM
#1 I actually made it worse by putting 5% tint over the factory tint. Great the day and it looks great especially with the black truck but useless at night.

#2 Now available with rear ultrasonic park assist and a rear backup camera if you have the NAV system. I have the ultasonic but not the camera which is plenty of extra help for me even with the tinted windows
Yeah I knew the new ones came with the back up camera's in them now. Not sure how I would like that or not? Do you use it? I guess I am just so used to looking in the mirrors now that I would think I'd forget to look at the camera. I suppose I'd get used to it. Never mind I see you don't have the camera.

jlf
03-06-2007, 12:12 PM
This is my ride...just thought I'd share it. I guess since this picture I've tinted the front windows to match the rear. We took all the stickers off the rear box sides, turned up the tortion bars and added some new wheels and the nerf bars. I am getting different wheels this summer. It's time for new tires. I'm going to a set of 20's. I am still debating about painting all the plastic in the razor back to match the truck. I think some chrome door handles to break up all the black would look nice.

Archimedes
03-06-2007, 12:42 PM
The rear parktronic is a must on the new Avalanche. It's criminal if they sell any of them without it. The visibility out back is really minimal with the high tail and the cover. I wouldn't own one without the parktronic. Don't need the rear camera though. The three stage parktronic tells you all you need to know, as it's very sensitive is all directions out back. The only downside is, if you're like me and like to leave your hitch ball on the truck, the parktronic senses it and it screws it up.

I've only got about 10,000 miles on mine and have can't think of any way they could improve on this thing. It is a fantastic truck and a tremendous value for the money. Incredible flexibility.

One thing I would stress is you should be able to get a HUGE discount from sticker on an Avalanche, so make sure you pay about 17-20% under sticker if you buy one.

shepherd
03-17-2007, 08:46 PM
My wife and I test drove an '07 Avalanche today. It had the sun roof, NAV system, DVD player, rear view camera, 4WD. Awesome truck. My only complaint is that it doesn't have as much sideways leg room as I have in my Tahoe. My right knee was resting against that big-a$$ console in the middle. Felt a little claustrophobic.

We want one now, but the $48k sticker price is holding us back. Are there any references out there on invoice prices, what's a good deal, etc.? I'd like to have more knowledge of this stuff before we go negotiate with the salesman. I'm also going to check the market for some used '05 or '06 models.

shepherd
03-17-2007, 08:49 PM
One thing I would stress is you should be able to get a HUGE discount from sticker on an Avalanche, so make sure you pay about 17-20% under sticker if you buy one.

So, if the sticker says $48k, I should offer them $38k and go as high as $40k?

dapicatti
03-17-2007, 08:50 PM
We pulled the trigger this week on our 07 LTZ. We got everything but the DVD player. There were some incentives for purchases- 2k off I think is what we got plus other dealer incentives. I think it depends on the dealer. We walked out around 42k. It is such a great truck. Drives differently than our Denali, a little more stable feeling. We love it.

dapicatti
03-17-2007, 08:54 PM
Pricing is dependant on the dealer, are they a volume dealer or a relationship dealer? It all makes a difference. We have a business relationship with our dealer, and felt they cut us a fair deal. Could we have paid less? Maybe, but it isn't worth the lost business to us.

shepherd
03-17-2007, 09:11 PM
I just did a quick check and Carmax has several 04s and 05s in the $25k range with 15k to 20k miles. I like the fact that the older ones don't have that big console in the middle. Looks more open.

While we still want new, we won't suffer as much from the instant depreciation when we drive a used one off the lot.

JohnE
03-18-2007, 11:24 AM
Shep,

I bought my '03 Avalanche with a sticker of $38,500 for $28,000. That did include $4K cash back, a GM promotion at the time. I bought my '05 with a sticker of $42,500 for $32,000 if that helps. I don't think anyone will argue that it never makes financial sense to buy new. It's more the thrill than anything else. I used the same logic recently with my boat. But really it comes down to getting a good deal on whatever decision you make. You can pay too much buying new and too much buying used. I try to be an educated consumer as you are trying to be. Good luck and keep us posted.

TMCNo1
03-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Edmonds New Car Buyers Guide comes in soft cover from book/magazine stores and online here, http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/chevrolet/avalanche/100688148/options.html?action=1&x=86&y=15
They show dealer invoice and MSRP of the base vehicle and all the options and IIRC they say add $150 to dealer invoice and the vehicle can be bought for that, even if you order a vehicle. I've never bought a new vehicle without using it and it is true, DI+ $150. Good luck!

dapicatti
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
Most dealers will honor that, but of course there are the exceptions just like in any business. Good Luck Shepard. We love ours- still can't figure out how to disable the slide out running boards so I can clean them. Better get out the manual.:o :o

shepherd
03-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Well, my wife says that if we can get one with the options for $40k or less, we're getting one. She wants the rear camera, nav system and sunroof. I want the 6.0L and the 4.1 gear ratio. According to Edmunds (thanks for the link TMCNo1), looks like we may be able to work it.

ptrainer
03-21-2007, 01:15 PM
I bought and still own a 2003 1500 and LOVE it! Towes the X-2 just fine, decent gas milage for its size and always plenty of room for all of the toys. We haul quads in the back no problem. Never had a water leak in the bed. Mine has all of the body armor and I love it, no worries at all when parking in a busy lot of any kind, including the lake... I dont think you can go wrong with this truck!

tones03
03-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Most dealers will honor that, but of course there are the exceptions just like in any business. Good Luck Shepard. We love ours- still can't figure out how to disable the slide out running boards so I can clean them. Better get out the manual.:o :o
Let me know if you cant figure it out, I work in the group that is in charge of them and can find out what you need to do.

dog paw
03-21-2007, 02:53 PM

I did a little digging in the service info. They are a bit skimpy on info on the Articulating boards for some reason. It does say in the owners manual that the boards will only lock in the retracted position. There is a "shipping mode" that keeps them in but thats the opposite of what you want:(

Here's the short story on them...

Running Board Description
Assist Step Controller System Components
The assist step controller system consists of the following components:

Assist step controller disable switch

Passenger side assist step motor

Driver side assist step motor

Passenger side power assist step

Driver side power assist step

Assist step controller (ASC)

Operation
A power extend operation will occur with the opening of either the front or rear doors on the assist step on that side of the vehicle. A power retract operation will occur with the closing of both doors on the assist step on that side of the vehicle. A door open/close status switch input is received by the assist step controller through the GMLAN serial data line. The park brake switch and vehicle speed inputs are is also received by the assist step controller through the GMLAN serial data line. The assist steps will be disabled when the disable switch is pushed once. The assist steps will be enabled with a second push of the disable switch.

Each assist step has a bi-directional motor and a hall-effect sensor to detect the position of the assist step. The hall-effect sensors are included with the motor assembly. The polarity on each motor is switched to reverse the direction of assist step travel.

Object Detection
Each assist step will reverse direction of travel when an object is detected in the travel path. If an assist step is moving in the retract direction, the assist step will move to the full extend position if an object is detected. If a door on the same side as the extended assist step is opened and then closed, the assist step will move to the retract position. The assist steps will stop and hold if after two failed retracting attempts an object is detected when retracting and the vehicle is in the drive position with vehicle speed above 5 mph.

Learn Procedure
When the assist step controller is replaced, or loses battery power, the assist step controller must learn the position of both assist steps. At least one door must be opened and closed on each side of the vehicle for both assist steps to go to a learn procedure. Each assist step will extend and then retract after a door is opened and closed on that assist steps side of the vehicle. Each assist step will learn its own position with the learn procedure

Assist Step Controller Disable Switch
The disable switch input is normally pulled to B+ through a resistor in the assist step controller. The disable switch sends a ground signal to the assist step controller with a switch closure. The assist steps will move to a retract position once all doors are closed and remain retracted until the disable switch is opened and a door on the same side as the retracted assist step is opened. An assist step that is extended when the disable switch is active will retract when the vehicle speed reaches 5 mph or the vehicle is shifted from the park position to the drive position.

Shipping Mode Unlock Procedure
The vehicles with the power running boards are shipped from the assembly plant in a shipping mode. The boards are locked in a retracted position during shipping. To unlock the boards for normal operation, perform the following steps:

Open both drivers side doors
Set the park brake
Toggle the disable switch three times within 20 seconds after turning the ignition switch to the "On" position

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ric
03-21-2007, 03:09 PM
Well, my wife says that if we can get one with the options for $40k or less, we're getting one. She wants the rear camera, nav system and sunroof. I want the 6.0L and the 4.1 gear ratio. According to Edmunds (thanks for the link TMCNo1), looks like we may be able to work it. do you have to get the 2500 to get the 6.0L motor? I am mucho happy with the towing abilities of my 1500HD 6.0L 3.73gear

BrianM
03-21-2007, 03:16 PM
do you have to get the 2500 to get the 6.0L motor? I am mucho happy with the towing abilities of my 1500HD 6.0L 3.73gear
There is no longer a 2500 Avalanche. The answer to your question is yes the 6.0 is available with the 1500 Avalanche. Only requirement is that you must also get the 4.10 rear end and Autoride suspension which is only available with the LT3 or LTZ trim.

shepherd
03-21-2007, 05:15 PM
I'm hesitating... Why spend $40K+ for new when I can get this creampuff for a little more than half that? http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx?id=4148649

But those new LTZ's sure are sweet... :rolleyes:

BrianM
03-21-2007, 05:39 PM
I'm hesitating... Why spend $40K+ for new when I can get this creampuff for a little more than half that? http://www.carmax.com/dyn/factsheet/factsheet.aspx?id=4148649

Drive them back to back and then decide. They are night and day different.

Ric
03-21-2007, 06:22 PM

But those new LTZ's sure are sweet... :rolleyes: whoah, ask the wife and get back to us with the answer to that question sir

Ric
03-21-2007, 06:22 PM
There is no longer a 2500 Avalanche. The answer to your question is yes the 6.0 is available with the 1500 Avalanche. Only requirement is that you must also get the 4.10 rear end and Autoride suspension which is only available with the LT3 or LTZ trim. my curiosity has gotten the best of me, I must check out this LT3 / LTZ thing !

shepherd
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
whoah, ask the wife and get back to us with the answer to that question sir

LOL 8p
Luckily, the wife is a practical woman. But in this case she did say "come on, we can afford it!" She really liked that sunroof and back-up camera thingy... :cool:

dapicatti
03-21-2007, 11:55 PM
You need the back up camera thingy

dapicatti
03-21-2007, 11:57 PM
I did a little digging in the service info. They are a bit skimpy on info on the Articulating boards for some reason. It does say in the owners manual that the boards will only lock in the retracted position. There is a "shipping mode" that keeps them in but thats the opposite of what you want:(

Here's the short story on them...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the info. Our dealer showed me but I forgot.
I will print this out for future reference.

dapicatti
03-21-2007, 11:59 PM

We have a buddy with that same model...he wants ours.

Footin
03-22-2007, 01:04 AM
I test drove an 04 Z66 yesterday and I am looking at an 03 Z71 tomorrow. I love these trucks and hope to own one soon.

Leroy
03-22-2007, 01:28 AM
Just over 2 years old and almost half price? I think you are moving in the right direction. Almost $10k/year in depreciation is really excessive. That is a heavy price to pay to sit in the drivers seat the first 2 years.

JohnE
03-22-2007, 07:26 AM
Just over 2 years old and almost half price? I think you are moving in the right direction. Almost $10k/year in depreciation is really excessive. That is a heavy price to pay to sit in the drivers seat the first 2 years.

Not really. I bought my '05 for $32,000. Z71, leather, sunroof, pretty near loaded. So if I could sell mine for $25,000 and I'd bet I could, it would only be $3500/ yr. depreciation. You are basing the logic on the price of the '07. Regardless, used is probably the way to go.

jakethebt
03-26-2007, 09:55 PM
So what are people paying for an 07 LTZ with a sticker of $42k? Are some people really only paying $32k as some people on here suggest?

shepherd
03-26-2007, 11:09 PM
The 4WD LTZ I test drove had a sticker of $48k.

I had another dealer quote me a "no haggle" price of $39k for a 2WD LTZ. I asked her to come back with a quote for the 4WD. I expect it will be higher :rolleyes:

dapicatti
03-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Mine had a 48k sticker......

dapicatti
03-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Let me know if you cant figure it out, I work in the group that is in charge of them and can find out what you need to do.
I forgot to thank you for this offer. We have it figured out, and really love the running boards. We didn't get them on the Denali, and really wish we had them.

Archimedes
03-27-2007, 01:00 PM
The 4WD LTZ I test drove had a sticker of $48k.

I had another dealer quote me a "no haggle" price of $39k for a 2WD LTZ. I asked her to come back with a quote for the 4WD. I expect it will be higher :rolleyes:

I paid $38k for a top of the line 2007 4WD LTZ with every option except the 6liter motor and Nav. Sticker was around $45.5.

The market price for the Avalanche is about 18% below sticker. I wouldn't pay anything more than that.

tones03
03-28-2007, 10:41 AM
Well I asked the Engineer in charge of those running boards how to clean them, and needless to say I hit a sore spot...

How you do it though is some what a pain. Open your doors to lower the running boards, step on the board and close the door while still standing on the boards. They will sense your weight and stay lowered. Do to both sides. Want them back up, open and close your door again.

JohnE
04-05-2007, 10:23 AM
If you have an Avalanche, you have to get this: http://www.bedslide.com/products/xl_carpeted.html

I've had it for a couple years and it makes things so much easier.

jlf
04-06-2007, 09:36 AM
I got the husband looking and gettting prices for a new one!! I might just get myself an '07 before the end of the year!!

shepherd
04-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I paid $38k for a top of the line 2007 4WD LTZ with every option except the 6liter motor and Nav. Sticker was around $45.5.

The market price for the Avalanche is about 18% below sticker. I wouldn't pay anything more than that.

If I could get one at that price, I'd grab it (and I thought things in CA were supposed to be more expensive!). Best price I could find so far is $42k, but that did include the Nav. Sticker was $48k. I told the dealer my max offer was $40k. Impasse. :cool: I'll probably buy one later this year when and if they offer some better incentives - maybe when the '08s start rolling out.

Footin
06-24-2007, 10:41 PM
Well I finally got my "new to me" Avalanche on Friday.

I bought a black 05 Z71, every option except dvd and navigation.
Pulls the boat great and looks good doing it. I am very happy so far.

JohnE
06-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Congrats, Footin. I have the same in charcoal gray. You won't be disappointed.

Footin
06-24-2007, 10:52 PM
Thanks, the only thing I have noticed so far is it rides pretty hard. It has 35k on it and the tires will need replaced in about 7-10k, a softer tire than the Goodyear ATS will be goin on it.

6ballsisall
06-24-2007, 10:54 PM
Mike I haven't seen pics of the beast yet. Got any to post???

Footin
06-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Here she is:

6ballsisall
06-24-2007, 11:03 PM
Very Nice Mike!!! I bet that does look great pulling the boat!! Now you just need a MC sticker on the back!

Careful if you ask ERK for one, I've been waiting for about 2 1/2 months now.......:( :rolleyes:

Footin
06-24-2007, 11:04 PM
He already gave me one!

I got a few layin around, I will put it on the back window soon.