View Full Version : Texas Independence Day

JKTX21
03-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Yep, it's Texas Independence Day again!

Post your facts AND myths about Texas here today

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b19/JKTX21/BT-secede-gallery-769.jpg

sanjuan23
03-02-2007, 03:20 PM
Most overused myth I always hear, "Texas is the only State in the Union that maintains it's right to secede at any time."

But nonetheless it is time for a celebration today!

JKTX21
03-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Another good myth is that Texas is the only state allowed to fly its flag as high as the U.S. Flag.

I know one truth... I love my Coors Light with the shape of Texas on the can! :)

milkmania
03-02-2007, 03:51 PM
myth:
"Everything's bigger in Texas"8p

michael freeman
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Another good myth is that Texas is the only state allowed to fly its flag as high as the U.S. Flag.

I know one truth... I love my Coors Light with the shape of Texas on the can! :)

What! Do you mean there is another state that is allowed to fly their state flag at the same level as the Texas flag. 8p

JKTX21
03-02-2007, 04:23 PM
:uglyhamme

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to bust up all of the myths about Texas. Texas is the best state in the whole universe (which is a pretty vast expanse supposedly, and not unlike Texas itself) :D

Ric
03-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Ahh home of Willie Nelson, Pat Green, Robert Earl Keen Jr. G.W. Bush, LBJ, Sam Houston, The Alamo, Sandra Bullock, Anna Nicole, Mission Control, Austin, Roger Clemens, Earl Campbell, Darryl K Royal, Nolan Ryan, Andy Pettite, The San Anton' Rose, The Chicken Ranch, Marvin Zindler, ZZ Topp, Lonesome Dove, Gary P Nunn, George Strait, David Alan Coe, Gilleys, Jimmy Johnson, Janice Joplin, East Tx Skier and many many more landmarks.

Happy Birthday Texas

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 05:24 PM
Ahh home of Willie Nelson, Pat Green, Robert Earl Keen Jr. G.W. Bush, LBJ, Sam Houston, The Alamo, Sandra Bullock, Anna Nicole, Mission Control, Austin, Roger Clemens, Earl Campbell, Darryl K Royal, Nolan Ryan, Andy Pettite, The San Anton' Rose, The Chicken Ranch, Marvin Zindler, ZZ Topp, Lonesome Dove, Gary P Nunn, George Strait, David Alan Coe, Gilleys, Jimmy Johnson, Janice Joplin, East Tx Skier and many many more landmarks.

Happy Birthday Texas

Two of those people have been photographed together. Any guesses which two.

Ric
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
willie and pat .

Ric
03-02-2007, 05:26 PM
willie and david alan

Ric
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
roger and andy .

Ric
03-02-2007, 05:27 PM
eastie and earl .

Ric
03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
the two from port neches grove

Naste Craft
03-02-2007, 06:08 PM
myth:
"Everything's bigger in Texas"8p

Truth: Most Texans believe Texas is the largest state forgetting Alaska is more that twice as big......................8p 8p

michael freeman
03-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Truth: Most Texans believe Texas is the largest state forgetting Alaska is more that twice as big......................8p 8p

We get around that by stating the "... in the Contiguous U.S."

.... besides, do you realize how short the ski season is in Alaska, and don't get me started about the # of men to women in that place. 8p

Ric
03-02-2007, 06:16 PM
What we believe is inviting California and Alaska to assemble their forces and Come on over to Texas for a good ol fashioned asswhippin

JKTX21
03-02-2007, 06:26 PM
What we believe is inviting California and Alaska to assemble their forces and Come on over to Texas for a good ol fashioned asswhippin

And if you don't believe 'ol Ric, I'll take you out back behind the woodshed and whoorp your damn ***. :)

Ric, you forgot to mention Chuck "WTR" Norris!

TMCNo1
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Willie, Waylon and Me! Oh, I'm not from Texas????????????????

tex
03-02-2007, 10:58 PM

Happy Birthday Texas
Don't forget Steve and myself!

michael freeman
03-03-2007, 10:06 AM
I believe Texas, by itself, has the 4th or 5th largest army. (I forgot, I think when we took out Iraq we moved up a spot. (Ref. News story on TV station a year or so)

Harvey
03-03-2007, 01:08 PM
Some things you might not know about Texas:

Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.
Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.
Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.
The capitol in Austin opened May 16, 1888. The dome of the building stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C.
Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies.
More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.
The Dallas-Fort Worth area has more residents - 5,221,801 - than 31 U.S. states. For example, Arizona has about 5.1 million residents.
The King Ranch itself near Corpus Christi is larger than the state of Rhode Island and includes 50,000 head of cattle.
Texas has 90 mountains a mile or more high, with Guadalupe Peak in West Texas at 8,751 feet being the tallest.
Texas has the 8th largest economy in the world.

If Texas decided to succeed from the US we would control the space program, an enormous army, most of the oil and gas in the country, a large portion of the agriculture, both Dell and HP computers, American Airlines, and if we get thirsty we have Dr Pepper and Shiner Bock beer.

And in the spirit of Davy Crockett, "you can all go to hell, I am going to Texas!"

michael freeman
03-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Some things you might not know about Texas:

Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.
Texas boasts the nation's largest herd of whitetail deer.
Caddo Lake is the only natural lake in the state.
Dr Pepper was invented in Waco in 1885. The Dublin Dr Pepper, 85 miles west of Waco, still uses pure imperial cane sugar in its product. There is no period after the Dr in Dr Pepper.
The first suspension bridge in the United States was the Waco Bridge. Built in 1870 and still in use today as a pedestrian crossing of the Brazos River.
The capitol in Austin opened May 16, 1888. The dome of the building stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C.
Texas comes from the Hasinai Indian word tejas meaning friends or allies.
More land is farmed in Texas than in any other state.
The Dallas-Fort Worth area has more residents - 5,221,801 - than 31 U.S. states. For example, Arizona has about 5.1 million residents.
The King Ranch itself near Corpus Christi is larger than the state of Rhode Island and includes 50,000 head of cattle.
Texas has 90 mountains a mile or more high, with Guadalupe Peak in West Texas at 8,751 feet being the tallest.
Texas has the 8th largest economy in the world.

If Texas decided to succeed from the US we would control the space program, an enormous army, most of the oil and gas in the country, a large portion of the agriculture, both Dell and HP computers, American Airlines, and if we get thirsty we have Dr Pepper and Shiner Bock beer.

And in the spirit of Davy Crockett, "you can all go to hell, I am going to Texas!"

... and that is why Texans, myself included, are so humble. :)

sanjuan23
03-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes and we never have an opinion about ourselves our state and who should go to hell.

ProTour X9
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
"Damn Texicans!!" John Wayne 8p 8p

Ric
03-05-2007, 09:35 AM
Don't forget Steve and myself! and TEX and STEVE!

And that black dude who won all the academy awards last week.. he said he was from East Tx. I never remember his name but I believe he was in the great santini as well as panic room and color of money.

Harvey
03-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Texas in October, is about as pretty as it gets
But Texas in the springtime, is even prettier yet
You miss it so much when you're gone
It's hard for you to say
Texas gets more beautiful, with every passing day

Got a letter from my family, said they'd had a lot of rain
It washed away the cotton crops, but all and all they can't complain
'Cause the bluebonnets are about to bloom again,
And Ginger finally had her colt
In Texas they don't worry much, about things they can't control

Keep Texas beautiful, keep Texas free
Keep her wild and natural, just the way she ought to be
This world is full of man-made wonders, Texas didn't come that way
No, Texas came out beautiful, why not keep her that way?

Yeah I like Texas, Ain't it fine here,
Like to pick my guitar down in Luckenbach, and drink that Shiner Bock beer,
Yeah I like Texas, man there ain't no doubt,
just listen to me 'cause I know what I'm talkin' about.

That's all I have to say about that!

ski36short
03-05-2007, 01:04 PM

Happy Birthday Texas

No attempts to claim Chuck Norris?!?

TX.X-30 fan
03-05-2007, 01:47 PM
Texas has many very diverse regions. ;)

JKTX21
03-05-2007, 01:52 PM
No attempts to claim Chuck Norris?!?

I think Chuck Norris claimed Texas. :D

cbryan70
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
another fun fact about texas.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxOVSO4QnvM :rant: :eek:

River Rat
03-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Every year Texas is home to more and more HIGH FENCE Ranches. :mad: :mad: :mad: Won't be long and only the rich will be able to hunt.

ProTour X9
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
Spoken like a true trespasser ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Monte
03-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Didn't peewee's big adventure take him through TX????:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Ric
03-05-2007, 04:21 PM
ahhh yes, the quest to find the basement at THE ALAMO

JKTX21
03-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Every year Texas is home to more and more HIGH FENCE Ranches. :mad: :mad: :mad: Won't be long and only the rich will be able to hunt.

They are called game fences and they keep my antelope in my yard!

TX.X-30 fan
03-05-2007, 06:33 PM
Didn't peewee's big adventure take him through TX????:rolleyes: :D :rolleyes:

Yes through Houstons adult theaters. 8p

sanjuan23
03-06-2007, 08:56 AM
Remember the Alamo! 171 years ago today The Alamo fell!

Harvey
03-06-2007, 10:42 AM
A TRUE texas once said:

Fellow citizens & compatriots;
I am besieged, by a thousand or more of the Mexicans under Santa Anna. I have sustained a continual Bombardment & cannonade for 24 hours & have not lost a man. The enemy has demanded a surrender at discretion, otherwise, the garrison are to be put to the sword, if the fort is taken. I have answered the demand with a cannon shot, & our flag still waves proudly from the walls. I shall never surrender or retreat. Then, I call on you in the name of Liberty, of patriotism & everything dear to the American character, to come to our aid, with all dispatch. The enemy is receiving reinforcements daily & will no doubt increase to three or four thousand in four or five days. If this call is neglected, I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country. Victory or Death
William Barret Travis
Lt. Col. comdt

I was going to comment but I will let it speak for itself.

Ric
11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
Was it Davy Crockett who said "May you all go to hell, I'm going to Texas!"

Ric
11-02-2007, 04:54 PM
Some really cool lonesome dove history here

http://www.library.txstate.edu/swwc/ld/ldex23c.html