PDA

View Full Version : Calling Texans

slink976
03-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Hey guys still planning on moving out that way but have a few questions

1.) Do you have to pay a luxury tax yearly on your boat. I just had to pay CA $500 in taxes just cuase I own a boat (Bastards).
2.) for vehicles what is the typical registration policy? 1 time every 2 years, what are the average prices?
3.) Is there a every 2 year smog policy out there?

I could probably find this online but hell it's just easier to ask people that live there.

Lee

sanjuan23
03-02-2007, 12:46 PM
-No annual luxury tax on the boat that I am aware of.
-Typical registration is once a year on the cars and two years on the boat.
-Registration fees are different per vehicle depending on type and weight. My truck runs about $75.00 per year I think I dont pay the bills
-You will of course have to pay title/registration fees etc. When you get your plates and new stuff for the boat.
-Annual inspection is a must on vehicles as long as they are OBDII they just plug it in and check and you are good to go.

slink976
03-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Wow, okay my car is usaully 450 and my truck is 400. my boat is an about 500 per year! thats great news Sanjuan23 thank you.

Ric
03-02-2007, 01:23 PM
You will hate it here.

3% annual real property tax,
Hot
mosquitoes
hurricane regugees
Hot
Floods
Hurricanes
State sales tax
Hot
weird politics
Did I mention hot?

Mag_Red
03-02-2007, 01:25 PM
You will hate it here.

Hot
mosquitoes
hurricane regugees
Hot
Floods
Hurricanes
State sales tax
Hot
weird politics
Did I mention hot?I like it hot! Maybe I should move to Texas.:D

TX.X-30 fan
03-02-2007, 01:37 PM
You will hate it here.

Hot
mosquitoes
hurricane regugees
Hot
Floods
Hurricanes
State sales tax
Hot
weird politics
Did I mention hot?

Overrun with rednecks....8p

slink976
03-02-2007, 01:40 PM
POOL and Lakes to cure hot. 3% is nada cuz I don't have to pay state income tax anymore. Sales tax is the same as CA but I will end up paying less in sales tax due to evrything is cheaper i.e. milk = 3.99 in CA. Hurricane refugees got nothing for that but I do live in cali right now so I have built up quite a tolerance for people. Wierd politics, Are you for real have you seen who we elected! As far as the floods go, good that'll fill them lakes up, note to self buy extra flood insurance.
Lee

jraben8
03-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Financially, coming from CA you will love it here! Sales taxes is where they get you here. Roughly 8% depending on where you are and this applies to non-grocery items (I think that is the easiest way of describing it).

Flood insurance is a non-issue unless you are on the coast.

My boat is $50 to register, truck and car are about $65/ea or so.

Ric
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
POOL and Lakes to cure hot. 3% is nada cuz I don't have to pay state income tax anymore. Sales tax is the same as CA but I will end up paying less in sales tax due to evrything is cheaper i.e. milk = 3.99 in CA. Hurricane refugees got nothing for that but I do live in cali right now so I have built up quite a tolerance for people. Wierd politics, Are you for real have you seen who we elected! As far as the floods go, good that'll fill them lakes up, note to self buy extra flood insurance.
LeeHHAHAAHAHHAHAHA so true!

You'll spend about 75.00 per year for car regs and another 50 for annual inspection and about 500 per year in legal fees for the 1100.00 per year you will receive in traffic fines:o you'll spend the mentioned 3% property tax on your house but not your cars unless they are registered to a biz.... THATS a whole nuther gripe right there!

as far as initial registration, you'll pay the same 75-100 for that plus state sales tax on the purchase of the car (6.75% I think)

stay off my lawn! as a wise team talker once said

TMCNo1
03-02-2007, 02:12 PM
:confused: What are you calling Texans?????????????:confused:

sanjuan23
03-02-2007, 02:15 PM
Those of us that put up with that list of horrible things about Texas. By the way I think he/she wants some sort of recognition for his 9k'isms about nothing

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 02:48 PM
Unless you're smart about registering the trailer, add an extra $50 per year for trailer registration.

As far as "being smart about it," I heard it from one of the guys who posted in this thread, so you'll have to PM 'em all and figure out who it was.

michael freeman
03-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Unless you're smart about registering the trailer, add an extra $50 per year for trailer registration.

As far as "being smart about it," I heard it from one of the guys who posted in this thread, so you'll have to PM 'em all and figure out who it was.

"Officer, that there is a farm trailer. That is my farm boat that I only use on the farm. I just needed to water test it for leaks and I saw this lake and put'er in."

Something like that or an even smarter way?

sanjuan23
03-02-2007, 03:22 PM
I thought the way around it was to deem it a homemade custom trailer and there was only a one time registration fee.

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 03:26 PM
I thought the way around it was to deem it a homemade custom trailer and there was only a one time registration fee.

This is what I was told ... said the guy who pays his $50 per year.

Archimedes
03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
No state income taxes in Texas, no county personal property taxes on your boat each year, and no $500 annual car registration "fee". Sales taxes are the same, or slightly lower in Texas, but Cali varies by county.

And while property tax rates in Texas may be higher, the actual tax amount you pay for similar housing is wayyyyyyy lower. I paid $6,500 a year on a beautiful, large new house in Texas. I pay $10,000 a year on a small, 50 year old, hovel in California, and if someone bought my house from me today at current mkt values, they would pay $15,000 a year in property taxes. If I lived in a similar size/quality house here in Cali as compared to what I lived in in Dallas, my property tax bill would be over $30k a year.

michael freeman
03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
No state income taxes in Texas, no county personal property taxes on your boat each year, and no $500 annual car registration "fee". Sales taxes are the same, or slightly lower in Texas, but Cali varies by county.

And while property tax rates in Texas may be higher, the actual tax amount you pay for similar housing is wayyyyyyy lower. I paid $6,500 a year on a beautiful, large new house in Texas. I pay $10,000 a year on a small, 50 year old, hovel in California, and if someone bought my house from me today at current mkt values, they would pay $15,000 a year in property taxes. If I lived in a similar size/quality house here in Cali as compared to what I lived in in Dallas, my property tax bill would be over $30k a year.

If I had to pay $500 annually on car registration I would be pissed!

BTW, Property tax reform is lowering the property tax in Texas. It is phased over the next three years. To replace the money for the schools, which is a majority of the property tax, they added a $1 tax on each pack of cigarettes.

slink976
03-02-2007, 04:14 PM
another reason for me to quit!

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 04:18 PM
You can also apply for a refund on the road tax for the gasoline you put in your boat.

Ric
03-02-2007, 04:51 PM

And while property tax rates in Texas may be higher, the actual tax amount you pay for similar housing is wayyyyyyy lower. I paid $6,500 a year on a beautiful, large new house in Texas. I pay $10,000 a year on a small, 50 year old, hovel in California, and if someone bought my house from me today at current mkt values, they would pay $15,000 a year in property taxes. If I lived in a similar size/quality house here in Cali as compared to what I lived in in Dallas, my property tax bill would be over $30k a year. Lies all Lies

Stay in California!

G-man
03-02-2007, 05:34 PM
Lies all Lies

Stay in California!

or move to the Houston area

Ric
03-02-2007, 06:14 PM
We're all stocked up here

slink976
03-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Moving out to the Plano area, work related but i think i am going to love it that way!

tex
03-02-2007, 10:53 PM
I know a great ski club!

slink976
03-02-2007, 11:06 PM
if they except boarders im in.

SteveO
03-03-2007, 10:02 AM
Hurry up slink, I'm dying to ride behind and X2. Gotta watch that Tex fellow he has been known to get on the water without anything on his feet and when he has something on his feet he tries to jump over things. Ski club is great, but still us old school fellows who chase bouys, except for those crazies who jump and foot.

Harvey
03-03-2007, 11:54 AM

They might accept boarders but to get to their lake from Plano would take you well over an hour.

slink976
03-03-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm in CA, it takes along time to get everywhere. Still looking for lake front property out that way with a dock. Damn Army Corp of Engineers has all the water in them parts.

sanjuan23
03-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Dont sweat it things are on the change slowly but surely....

tex
03-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Come on out. Plenty of room for all. Was that Owens on the site. I thought his wife had kicked him off!

tex
03-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Come on out. Plenty of room for all. Was that Owens on the site. I thought his wife had kicked him off!