PDA

View Full Version : household name brand items vs. generic store named items

milkmania
03-02-2007, 10:43 AM
what have you found that works? and what does not work?
what are some things you wouldn't feed your redheaded step-kids?

1) coffee mate coffee creamer RULES over store brand product. (powder form)
2) name brand cereals are tolerable at best.
3) some store brand cookies aren't bad at all!
4) some nuts aren't too bad (Great Value Party Peanuts)

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
I draw the line at cereal and coffee. Pretty much all the other store brand stuff will be tried and often, purchased regularly.

dmayer84
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Will not buy store brand soda, anything else goes.

SkiDog
03-02-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm a name brands kinda guy!:D

milkmania
03-02-2007, 11:02 AM
when I worked at the dairy, we bottled 67 different store labels.....
our proprietary label was Hiland, and we still had to maintain the bought out dairy's name of Acee.

but, we just slapped different labels on them jugs......same milk/same vat

Harps
IGA
Great Value
Sams
Hardees
CV's
Price Cutter
etc......

jlf
03-02-2007, 11:03 AM
store brand mac and cheese, Sure Fine, we actually like it better than Kraft and it's half the price.

we use store brand cream soups all the time, you are just mixing them in what ever you are making not eating just the soup, can't tell the difference.

store brand canned vegetables and frozen are usually as good as the name brand

milkmania
03-02-2007, 11:05 AM
store brand mac and cheese, Sure Fine, we actually like it better than Kraft and it's half the price.

we use store brand cream soups all the time, you are just mixing them in what ever you are making not eating just the soup, can't tell the difference.

store brand canned vegetables and frozen are usually as good as the name brand agreed on all three;)

Allen Canning Co. in Van Buren, Ar. cans here locally......
they just use different labels

Allen Canning Company has been in the vegetable business since 1926. Headquartered in the hills of the Ozarks in Siloam Springs, Arkansas, our family-owned and operated company grows and packs vegetables under 11 respected brand names: The Allens, Butterfield, East Texas Fair, Popeye, Princella, Royal Prince, Sugary Sam, Sunshine, Trappey’s, Veg•All, and Wagon Master.

I figure Del Monte, and the other big guys do the same:rolleyes:

ski_king
03-02-2007, 11:08 AM
It varies from store to store, but I also go with store brand for most everything. In most cases all the name brand has is a fancier label and a marketing campain to pay for.

On the other hand, some brands do have quality. If not we would all own a Ski Boat instead of a MasterCraft.

Hmm, generic Ski Boat, isnt there a french version of this already?

shepherd
03-02-2007, 11:16 AM
I prefer:

Name brand sodas - though some of the store brands taste OK
Name brand cereals - the store brands suck IMO
Name brand canned vegetables - nothing compares to the Niblets!
Name brand beer - never tried "Sam's Club" beer before, though I like Sam Adams
Name brand paper towels and toilet paper - you get what you pay for

Everything else: whatever is cheapest

ski_king
03-02-2007, 11:21 AM
Name Brand Q-Tips.
Had the cotten tip of a generic one come off in my ear once. No tweezers around, had somebody remove it with a mini pair of needle nose pliers, not a fun experience.

Dbuck
03-02-2007, 11:22 AM
A "value" grocery store near me called Sav-a-Lot--some of their store brand cereals and crackers are actually fresher and better tasting to me than the name brand counter parts.

I used to be persnicketty about ketchup(Heinz) and mustard (French's), but now what ever is on sale, store brand or other wise.

Ibuprofen is Ibuprofen and oatmeal is oatmeal( i only use the regular stovetop kind)

Diet Cokes only.

I have recently become somewhat of a coffee snob, though--Starbucks whole beans only!

Sodar
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
I am not sure if Cosco is a national warehouse chain, but their generic "Kirkland" products truly ROCK!! They have so many products that I think are of BETTER quality than the Name Brands, but at a lower price....

whitedog
03-02-2007, 11:36 AM
Working with the vegetable canning industry, like Milk said in the dairy, they run the same line and change the lables. Freezer plant is the same, same pile differnt printing on bags.

dmayer84
03-02-2007, 11:39 AM
I am not sure if Cosco is a national warehouse chain, but their generic "Kirkland" products truly ROCK!! They have so many products that I think are of BETTER quality than the Name Brands, but at a lower price....

Have to agree with you on that, a lot of stuff here is Kirkland Signature brand.

jraben8
03-02-2007, 12:00 PM
Ski King is right!!! Never buy generic Q-Tips!!!! You're better off with notebook paper...

rcnjson
03-02-2007, 12:06 PM
Long time listener, first time caller, great topic, love the show...
I'll do store brand just about everything. I don't drink soda, so that is a non-issue. There is no store brand beer so again, no biggie, I'm a cheap date anyways, diet blatz and I'm good to go. Where I draw the line is razor blades. I bought some Roundy's razor blades for the gillett and I cut myself every frickin day. That was it, they were half price, but I was getting dizzy from the blood loss.
k

bcampbe7
03-02-2007, 12:58 PM
I'm a name brands kinda guy!:D

x2...

We did recently have a budget cut in the form of a baby so I may be trying the store brand soon.

Slinkyredfoot
03-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Off brand toliet paper burns my arse......

TMCNo1
03-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Costco's Kirkland brand of paper towels are great, big rolls and lint free compared to name brands and cheaper.

slink976
03-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Okay now this is a great thread....

I was at the store yesterday (Target) and I was fishing around looking for infamil (baby formula). Right next to it was the stores brand. So I did a little cross comparison. Exactly the same! down to a T they were identical.

Infamil = 23.99
Target brand = 10.79

So I went with the store brand. As far taste goes don't know don't care I am not drinking it and as long as I start my kid out on it He/She can't complain becuase he/she wont have a reference!

Lee

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM
O

Infamil = 23.99
Target brand = 10.79

Absolutely! Unfortunately, we were using Enfamil "Gentlease" and they didn't Targetify that until about 2 months before he switched to milk. But the savings were significant and he liked it just fine.

jraben8
03-02-2007, 04:54 PM
We used it too until we had to go Lactose free. They didn't have that 4 years ago.

ttu
03-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Long time listener, first time caller, great topic, love the show...
I'll do store brand just about everything. I don't drink soda, so that is a non-issue. There is no store brand beer so again, no biggie, I'm a cheap date anyways, diet blatz and I'm good to go. Where I draw the line is razor blades. I bought some Roundy's razor blades for the gillett and I cut myself every frickin day. That was it, they were half price, but I was getting dizzy from the blood loss.
k

oh i did this once also. what a horrible product. sad thing is my brother in law was visiting and forgot his razor so i gave him one of the generic razor's to use. needless to say he came to the kitchen later with toilet paper all over his face

Toober Tom
03-02-2007, 05:52 PM
Best name brand out there is Sam's Choice

Thrall
03-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Store brand vinegar takes the water spots off my MC just as good as the name brand stuff!