PDA

View Full Version : Dealership Density

Andyg
03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
I was thinking about the people that have to travel several hours to the nearest MC dealer and was wondering why the Dealership Density is so different. For example up here in Wisconsin where you can ski comfortably for 5 months a year I have 1 dealer 15 minutes away, 1 dealer 1 hr away, and 1 dealer an 1 1/2 away. Plus there are probably more dealers per capita in Wisconsin then anywhere else. Is it that MCs aren't as popular in other locations? Just wondering.

88 PS190
03-01-2007, 11:38 PM
bust out your handy dandy boat buyers guide, WI has 7 mastercraft dealers, only cali has more (8)

IL has 2, MI has 6, FL has 5. Texas five.

So WI definately has the highest density.

TX.X-30 fan
03-02-2007, 12:29 AM
bust out your handy dandy boat buyers guide, WI has 7 mastercraft dealers, only cali has more (8)

IL has 2, MI has 6, FL has 5. Texas five.

So WI definately has the highest density.

If I am hearing you correctly then, people in wisconsin that own mastercrafts are more dense than the rest of us. :D :D

duckguy
03-02-2007, 12:34 AM
Combo of high income and lots of boating spots

JohnE
03-02-2007, 06:16 AM
Does anyone know MC's specific policy if there is one on this? Just curious. What does it take to become a MC dealer. I think there was a thread on this once. I'll search later.

TMCNo1
03-02-2007, 08:55 AM
Does anyone know MC's specific policy if there is one on this? Just curious. What does it take to become a MC dealer. I think there was a thread on this once. I'll search later.

If you are serious about a dealership, contact MC Sales and Marketing, inquire about the territory if it is available, arrange a meeting with your Regional Sales Rep. and he can discuss the matter with you, give you the literature concerning what the requirements are and discuss any questions you may have.

Datdude
03-02-2007, 02:27 PM
Wisconsin RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just Kidding:D

The dealers that I know of are

Summerset Marine (southeastern WI)
Redline Watersports (Madison WI)
Mr. Outboard (Green Bay)
Stengl Marine (Minocqua...my town;) )

Where are the rest?

duckguy
03-02-2007, 02:35 PM
There is a little one in Lacrosse

Leroy
03-02-2007, 02:45 PM
And they have a lot of water access.

Combo of high income and lots of boating spots

JohnE
03-02-2007, 03:01 PM
If you are serious about a dealership, contact MC Sales and Marketing, inquire about the territory if it is available, arrange a meeting with your Regional Sales Rep. and he can discuss the matter with you, give you the literature concerning what the requirements are and discuss any questions you may have.

No, not me. I was just curious as to what it takes since it came up. Thanks TMC.

vogelm1
03-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Since Minnesota and Wisconsin both have high numbers of lakes relative to other states, you'd think there would be more dealers in MN too. :confused:

G-man
03-02-2007, 04:43 PM
No, not me. I was just curious as to what it takes since it came up. Thanks TMC.

Money talks

Datdude
03-02-2007, 04:45 PM
Money talks

And Bullshi...............never mind:D

pq2
03-02-2007, 04:48 PM
dont complain guys, the closest MC dealer that I can take my boat is in another country.

endl
03-02-2007, 04:49 PM
We dont feel sorry for you!!!!! You live in Cancun..............

pq2
03-02-2007, 05:28 PM
I should become a MC Dealer.

I think im going to buy some lotery tickets when I get some beer.

Slinkyredfoot
03-02-2007, 05:40 PM
I was wondering the same thing this week. I noticed the the state of Indiana has a lot of dealers for all kinds of ski boats, close behind FL and CA according to the Boat Buyers Guide in H20 ski magazine. What is it about Indiana that we have so many boat dealers and a handful of good lakes... Just wondering????

Andyg
03-02-2007, 05:54 PM
I think it may have something to do with the show ski clubs also. I think there are 31 show clubs in the state of WI. They need boats!

There is a dealership in Eau Claire also, at least there used to be.

Jerseydave
03-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Not sure about MC, but I heard that CC dealers cannot be within a 50 mile radius of each other. Maybe MC has the same rule?

flyingskibiker
03-02-2007, 06:30 PM
also wonder if that's dealers or locations... my dealer (boat dealer, dang it) has at least 4 locations, if not more.

Datdude
03-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Not sure about MC, but I heard that CC dealers cannot be within a 50 mile radius of each other. Maybe MC has the same rule?

Here in Northern Wisconsin we have two CC dealers within 35 miles of each other which seems a little close. They are not very friendly with each other:rolleyes:

Jerseydave
03-03-2007, 05:29 PM
Also wonder if MC has raised the standards of the dealerships' facilities.

No offense to anyone here, but some dealers are working out of some properties that are "less than impressive".

Have you noticed the trend with Harley Davidson dealerships.......most of them look like high-line car dealerships!

PendO
03-03-2007, 05:39 PM

No, not me. I was just curious as to what it takes since it came up. Thanks TMCNo1.

Good question, ask the guys from Utah what it costs:) Dave(skyskispokane) posted a link to an article on the new dealer serving Spokane/CdA starting July of 07, they will be replacing the current MC dealer, who also sells Four Winns, Supra/Moomba, not picking sides, just pointing out that the question of territory availability is everchanging. I'm somewhat sad to see the current dealer go away, as that as where I have been shopping for my MC's since I was 15 years old, but I understand the position of MC, the dedication to their brand, and the benefit of having a dealership that is 100% MC.

http://www.libertylakesplash.com/news.asp?id=2451

Thanks You Guys. Were Looking To Be Open July 07'. Help Us Find A Name For It.

JohnE
03-03-2007, 08:25 PM
So, can anyone answer anything specific? If I want to open (hypothetically since I can barely afford my one used mc) a dealer here in MA, what are the territorial rights. I know I'll need to have an approved facility, and a certain inventory, etc. But how does MC protect the nearest dealer? Or do they? I keep hearing "abc lost the franchise and xyz got it". I'm kind of wondering why they can't both have the franchise.

I am naive, so bear with these questions.

JohnE
03-03-2007, 08:36 PM
How many new boat sales does a MC dealer average in a year? Anyone?

TMCNo1
03-03-2007, 08:54 PM
How many new boat sales does a MC dealer average in a year? Anyone?

That is a variable that probably can't be calculated as a dealer average.
As of last year MC set a production schedule of 3,000 a year for all it's dealers, no more, no less. That assures the company of a decent income while producing innovative, well built boats of quality.

TMCNo1
03-03-2007, 09:06 PM
So, can anyone answer anything specific? If I want to open (hypothetically since I can barely afford my one used mc) a dealer here in MA, what are the territorial rights. I know I'll need to have an approved facility, and a certain inventory, etc. But how does MC protect the nearest dealer? Or do they? I keep hearing "abc lost the franchise and xyz got it". I'm kind of wondering why they can't both have the franchise.

I am naive, so bear with these questions.

Not to be elusive, but MasterCraft/Dealer information, boat order requirements, boat costs to dealers, territory setup, facility requirements, parts inventory, ProShop inventory, technician training/school requirements, etc., basically everything concerning the Dealer/MC relationship is for the most part confidential and not something to be openly disussed for the world to see. I hope you understand.

JohnE
03-04-2007, 08:20 AM
Not to be elusive, but MasterCraft/Dealer information, boat order requirements, boat costs to dealers, territory setup, facility requirements, parts inventory, ProShop inventory, technician training/school requirements, etc., basically everything concerning the Dealer/MC relationship is for the most part confidential and not something to be openly disussed for the world to see. I hope you understand.

That's fair enough. I understand. I wasn't trying to gain any inside info, just trying to understand the dynamics of where and why the dealers are where they are.

JohnE
03-04-2007, 08:24 AM
That is a variable that probably can't be calculated as a dealer average.
As of last year MC set a production schedule of 3,000 a year for all it's dealers, no more, no less. That assures the company of a decent income while producing innovative, well built boats of quality.

Now there is something concrete! Do they increase production yearly, or maintain the 3000?

And since my wife tossed my boat buyers guide that I left kicking around for too long, how many dealers are there?

TMCNo1
03-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Now there is something concrete! Do they increase production yearly, or maintain the 3000?

And since my wife tossed my boat buyers guide that I left kicking around for too long, how many dealers are there?

For the last couple years 3,000 max a year is the magic number.
MC has 106 dealers in the US, plus 40 International dealers.

JohnE
03-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Thanks TMC#1.

edited thanks to PendO.

PendO
03-04-2007, 04:02 PM
Thanks TMC.

just an fyi

harold is #1 (TMCNo1) ... there is an administrator who works for MC known as TMC ... just so you don't get your abbreviations confused:)

JohnE
03-04-2007, 04:06 PM
just an fyi

harold is #1 (TMCNo1) ... there is an administrator who works for MC known as TMC ... just so you don't get your abbreviations confused:)

Thanks PendO. I've edited to be accurate.

bigmac
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Since Minnesota and Wisconsin both have high numbers of lakes relative to other states, you'd think there would be more dealers in MN too. :confused:

Here in the Land of 10,000 lakes, there are two MasterCraft dealers, one Malibu dealer (with two locations), and one CC dealer (in the entire state of Minnesota).