PDA

View Full Version : New Dealer in Spokane...Finally!!

SkySkiSpokane
03-01-2007, 11:11 PM
No secret that my old dealer lost my biz a while ago. The only guy he had there that knew how to take care of customers was let go and is now selling for the Malibu dealer.
Check it!!!

http://www.libertylakesplash.com/news.asp?id=2451

sand2snow22
03-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Is Liberty Lake in the Valley?

dapicatti
03-02-2007, 01:00 AM
So this former dealer is blaming the price for not selling MC? I don't seem to think that was the problem.......

SkySkiSpokane
03-02-2007, 02:08 AM
Is Liberty Lake in the Valley?

Liberty Lake is between the Valley and the Idaho border.

PendO
03-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Liberty Lake is between the Valley and the Idaho border.

Between Stateline Showgirls and the valley Deja Vu

sand2snow22
03-02-2007, 09:02 PM
Stateline still open?

SkySkiSpokane
03-03-2007, 01:11 PM
yup, don't ask how I know. :D

dapicatti
03-03-2007, 01:18 PM
This should improve things greatly for you SkySki....glad to see you are getting a dealer who is passionate about MC.

UTAHWATERSPORTSGUY
03-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Thanks You Guys. Were Looking To Be Open July 07'. Help Us Find A Name For It.

PendO
03-03-2007, 06:08 PM
Thanks You Guys. Were Looking To Be Open July 07'. Help Us Find A Name For It.

I'll say this about names, I'd much rather wear a T-shirt from the Billings, MT HD dealership b/c it has a cool logo (Beartooth Harley Davidson), or another one I like is (Yellowstone Harley Davidson) ... now in Spokane, the HD name is Shumate Harley Davidson ... the shop/store is top notch, but from a marketing standpoint, the name "Shumate" really does nothing for me ... so, my vote is for something along the lines of

Bigfoot Mastercraft, or something that is more regional and less spokane/LL/CdA specific ... Timberline Mastercraft, Evergreen Mastercraft (we are the evergreen state), heck, I wouldn't even mind Stateline Mastercraft.

Having been a customer of the local shop for the past 15 years, I may not be the most welcoming of change, but I am cognizant of the need ... there are way too few mastercrafts on the water up here ... looking forward to meeting you guys/gals in July ... I'm glad to see that you have the big block on your Xstar ... who knows, you guys could be taking my 06 197 in on trade for an 08 197:)

Casey

JohnE
03-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Seems to me that a dealer selling MC, supra, and moomba doesn't truly believe in MC. The other brands are less of a boat at less of a price. If losing MC would be better for his business, why didn't he make the choice to drop MC years ago?

On another note, it's great to hear about a new dealer who is stoked to be selling MC! We have a similar situation in our area.

PendO
03-03-2007, 07:51 PM
Seems to me that a dealer selling MC, supra, and moomba doesn't truly believe in MC.

While that is one possibility, it is also possible that our area cannot adequately support a dealership that sells only one brand of boats ... as far as I know, there are no local boat dealerships that sell only 1 brand of inboard boats as their sole product, and I belive SeaRay is the only local 1 brand I/O dealership... it will be interesting to see if our economy can support it.

JohnE
03-03-2007, 08:07 PM
I'd think that selling only one brand of boat would be difficult, but for different reasons. I would think that if I were selling MC, I might also have a line of fishing boats and a line of runabouts. Maybe a line of cruisers, etc. But if you are selling 3 brands of ski boats, you can't possibly be 100% committed to one. What's the sales pitch? "If you want the best, buy MC, if you want to save $10K buy supra, and if you want to save $20K buy moomba"? I think that as a dealer you need to assess the market, and choose your line accordingly if you have that choice. Heck, if I were in charge of MC, I would prohibit my dealers from selling the competition to prove the commitment to MC.

MC is great, but not for everyone. MC is for every serious watersport enthusiast, though. But not every boater is boating for watersports. JMO.

PendO
03-03-2007, 08:24 PM
But if you are selling 3 brands of ski boats, you can't possibly be 100% committed to one. What's the sales pitch?

I'm not sure, but Cope & McPhetres sells more than one brand of inboards, but they are a mega/super dealer, so it works out okay.

I'd agree, tough to sell MC's next to lesser priced boats, unless your sales staff can explain the cost differences and convince the customer that it is worth the price, and ... assuming the customer can afford the price ... but if your customers cannot afford and MC then do you want to send them down the road, or would you like to have a 2nd line of boats so that you can still make a sale ... the business model works for Harley Davidson, but it takes the right size town/city and the right economy ... no doubt that there could have been a few more MC's on the water ... I know that Dave, Bill and I will go out and spend some time window shopping at the new place ... I was just hoping that MYMC was going to open up a 2nd shop here in Spokane:), nothing against the guys from Utah (and posting on the site is definitely a plus - so I appreciate that), but we sure would like a dealer like Mike up here in the PNW. I still want to shop at a dealership where the owner actually has an office at the dealership, and it would be nice to get out and have a demo day where we can drive the new MC's on the water (demo days?) ...

JohnE
03-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Everyone would be well served if they had a dealer like MYMC.

But I have to ask again, if the customer base isn't changing, how will a new dealer make more sales?

We have the same situation here. There is a new dealer, and the prior dealer sold very few mc's and sold other brands. The demographic here will support MC, though, so I think the new dealer will do well.

What is a good quota for a year of sales, btw? I'll ask this in the density thread, too.

SkySkiSpokane
03-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Casey and I have kicked this around on email also. You can bet that we'll be in there right away to check things out.

For UTAHWATERSPORTSGUY... You guys will have quite a challenge on your hands coming up here into this Bayliner flooded market but also keep this in mind; not only did our dealer not fit the bill with customer service, they were not involved at all being seen at local events or even hosting thier own since there was really very little around here. I know I would love to see some amatuer or grassroots type competitions or even a owners reunion that all owners get invited to not just the ones that are most likely in the market for new MC's

I wish you guys all the luck and you will being seeing myself, Bill, and Casey shortly.

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 08:13 AM
I am sure the proxmitiy to LCDA and all the mega vacation homes can't hurt the new guys....if they can market the boats right. It all comes down to marketing and service. Depends on the mindset of the owners. Noticed the new Porsche dealer seems to be doing well in your area........

JohnE
03-05-2007, 08:44 AM
So I've been asking around as you might have noticed about how many boats a dealer moves in a year. While there are too many variables to get anything firm, it seems to me that if a new dealer moves 30 boats they are doing something. It can't be that hard to find 30 people to pay for the MC quality, can it?:D

SkySkiSpokane
03-05-2007, 04:01 PM
So I've been asking around as you might have noticed about how many boats a dealer moves in a year. While there are too many variables to get anything firm, it seems to me that if a new dealer moves 30 boats they are doing something. It can't be that hard to find 30 people to pay for the MC quality, can it?:D

Yea,
We'll see. There are a lot of Californians moving up here with a lot of money and that can't hurt. Althought they need to learn how to drive in the snow. ;) Rumor has that Utah Watersports promised mastercraft that they would move 65+ 2008's next year. From what I hear that is almost 80% of the total number of inboard boats sold in this area last year.
I am really excited to see what they can do.

PendO
03-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Yea,
We'll see. There are a lot of Californians moving up here with a lot of money and that can't hurt. Althought they need to learn how to drive in the snow. ;) Rumor has that Utah Watersports promised mastercraft that they would move 65+ 2008's next year. From what I hear that is almost 80% of the total number of inboard boats sold in this area last year.
I am really excited to see what they can do.

Dave, maybee they will sell boats like Dave Smith sells cars up here:)

What they need to do is sponsor a Fly-In that you and Bill can host:)

SkySkiSpokane
03-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey,
now you are talkin!! There is one at Banks lake this year that Bill is helping plan with the guys at foil-n.com. We had been tryin to get Vince to do something for the other local ones but he just told Bret to go but he could only put .3 hours on any boat he took unless he sold it on scene.

PendO
03-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Hey,
now you are talkin!! There is one at Banks lake this year that Bill is helping plan with the guys at foil-n.com. We had been tryin to get Vince to do something for the other local ones but he just told Bret to go but he could only put .3 hours on any boat he took unless he sold it on scene.

Well, if you ever do a Fly-In up on the Pend Oreille my brother and I will pull some guys around ...

AirJunky
03-05-2007, 08:42 PM
Hey guys,
Lots of fun with the speculation, huh. I just read thru the thread & have to agree on a number of things said.

Service, service, service! Thats what this area lacked from MC. I don't know the specifics of why Alpine lost their dealership, but I'd bet you a buck it was because their service blew. Even Pendo, the avid fan that he is, had issues with their service. And I noticed that Utah WS was in the top 100 best boat service departments. Bravo to MC for picking a winner!

I also question whether or not a dealer can make it selling only one brand, and I doubt these guys will either. I imagine MC doesn't care to have a dealer selling other inboards either. So maybe Utah WS will be able to pick up fishing boats, or an I/O line too. ATVs & sleds are really big around here in the off season too so that would be another option. Coincidentally, Arctic Cat just lost a dealer in the Valley too.

Want to torque a few people in Spokane? Name your company California Blahblah or Utah Blahblah. This area is very opinionated about that kind of thing. Naming the dealership something with a regional ring to it will avoid that controversy & probably invite sales that may not be otherwise. I seem to recall reading something about Inland Northwest MC, which would be a lot closer to what I'm talking about. And remember that Metz Marina in TriCities lost their MC status a couple years ago too.

I'd love to have MC help us with an event. But since there is like 6 of us foil riders in the area, I think it will be a lot more profitable for them to have it be an all around event, especially for the boarders (as much as it pains me to say it). :rolleyes:

Wonder if they need an IT guy......

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 09:53 PM
Tri Cities has NW Marine and Sport now, they are a great dealer for service- great sales guys as well. They do sell lots of fishing boats as well.

love to have MC help us with an event. But since there is like 6 of us foil riders in the area, I think it will be a lot more profitable for them to have it be an all around event, especially for the boarders (as much as it pains me to say it).

You have to thank the boarders for helping sell more MC's. It doesn't hurt that many have big egos and want to buy the newest best boat even if they can't drive it......keeps the money rolling in.

WTRSK1R
03-05-2007, 10:48 PM
Hopefully they will market all of the MC lines. I stopped in their store outside of Salt Lake while traveling on business, just to see what it looked like, and there was not a single direct drive boat in the showroom. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice show room, and had 4 or 5 boats inside that you could look at and get the feel for, but I did not get the sense that they had any interest in supporting a slalom skier. Their website: http://www.utahwatersports.com/ does not list any direct drive boats either.

I guess only time will tell.

AirJunky
03-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Tri Cities has NW Marine and Sport now, they are a great dealer for service- great sales guys as well. They do sell lots of fishing boats as well.

I see. Didn't know that. I have a few friends in TriCities, one of which is a former MC owner gone to Malibu, and I never even heard about it.

You have to thank the boarders for helping sell more MC's. It doesn't hurt that many have big egos and want to buy the newest best boat even if they can't drive it......keeps the money rolling in.

Man, ain't that the truth. Sound vaguely familiar, Dave?
(Sorry to any respectable type boarders.... someone is givin you a bad name).

SkySkiSpokane
03-05-2007, 10:51 PM
[QUOTE=AirJunky] ATVs & sleds are really big around here in the off season too so that would be another option. Coincidentally, Arctic Cat just lost a dealer in the Valley too. [QUOTE]

I agree and they are going to go right across the freeway from the biggest Polaris dealer in the area, they could give them a run for their money. Competition is good for the consumer!!

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 10:59 PM
[
(Sorry to any respectable type boarders.... someone is givin you a bad name).[/QUOTE]

I may resemble that remark......OK so we are wakeboarders, but we are nice:D :D :D

SkySkiSpokane
03-05-2007, 11:04 PM
[
(Sorry to any respectable type boarders.... someone is givin you a bad name).

I may resemble that remark......OK so we are wakeboarders, but we are nice:D :D :D[/QUOTE]

HEHEHE!! Us foilers are kinda athletes without a country. We aren't boarders and we aren't skiiers. I love to ski though, so I guess I am partial. Keeping this with the thread, I would love to see some prostars in the new showroom.

SkySkiSpokane
03-05-2007, 11:05 PM
Damn! My quotes aren't working!! :confused: ;) 8p :rolleyes:

AirJunky
03-05-2007, 11:10 PM
[I may resemble that remark......OK so we are wakeboarders, but we are nice:D :D :D
Ha! No offense intended! I'm sure you know where I'm comin from anyway.
Your right though, the young, rich kids kick a lot of money down for a pimpin V-drive. Guess it's hard for an old fart like me to deal with.
I for one will be lookin at 209/X9s at the new dealer.

dapicatti
03-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Nice Choice! We will be vicariously shopping with you...love the smell of a new boat.

PendO
03-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Even Pendo, the avid fan that he is, had issues with their service. .....

yeah, something about leaving a boat out in the rain overnight with freezing temps so that ice and water gather in the cover of a boat with less than 20 hours seems to piss even the good humor guy off:)

Bill, we all know Bret wants to get both you and Dave into new Bu's, even still, you are welcome to come by and use the docks anytime ... the cabin is finally remodled ... so I expect to see you and your bride up there this summer:)

SkySkiSpokane
03-06-2007, 01:54 AM
yeah, something about leaving a boat out in the rain overnight with freezing temps so that ice and water gather in the cover of a boat with less than 20 hours seems to piss even the good humor guy off:)

Bill, we all know Bret wants to get both you and Dave into new Bu's, even still, you are welcome to come by and use the docks anytime ... the cabin is finally remodled ... so I expect to see you and your bride up there this summer:)

Deal!! I won't be in the market for new for a little while but I bet we see the AirJunky family with something different before the end of the summer. Right Bill?? ;)

bigmac
03-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Hopefully they will market all of the MC lines. I stopped in their store outside of Salt Lake while traveling on business, just to see what it looked like, and there was not a single direct drive boat in the showroom. Don't get me wrong, it was a very nice show room, and had 4 or 5 boats inside that you could look at and get the feel for, but I did not get the sense that they had any interest in supporting a slalom skier. Their website: http://www.utahwatersports.com/ does not list any direct drive boats either.

I guess only time will tell.The boats that a dealer sells reflects his market, not the other way around. Naturally, the Utah branch isn't going to order a bunch of DD's for the floor if nobody buys them. Conversely, if nobody in Spokane buys V-drives, they won't order any.

My dealer has a similar situation. They are happy to accept orders for any boat, but when they order boats for display for their walk-in customers to buy, V-drives is where it's at. I'll bet they sell V-drives over DD's 10 to 1 around here - same for the Supra and Malibu dealers.

UTAHWATERSPORTSGUY
03-06-2007, 07:08 PM
In the last 4 years we have sold about 7 dd. but in one year we'll sell 50+ x45s, 15 X30S, 5 X2S, 3 X15S, 5 X80S, our market here in utah is actually less then up there.

JohnE
03-06-2007, 07:14 PM
In the last 4 years we have sold about 7 dd. but in one year we'll sell 50+ x45s, 15 X30S, 5 X2S, 3 X15S, 5 X80S, our market here in utah is actually less then up there.

So more like 40:1 ration of dd: vdrive. That surprises me, but I don't know much about the market.

dapicatti
03-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Wow- very impressive numbers. I believe you are going to do very well in the market. Just make sure you are a Valley store, not a out of state store and the locals will appreciate it.

UTAHWATERSPORTSGUY
03-06-2007, 07:29 PM
We Are Also Negotiating A Slip On The Spokane River. Oh And Were Not Afraid To Take You Out On Demos.

PendO
03-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Wow, impressive, maybe that has something to do with the bankruptcy rate per capita in Utah:)

So are you looking to moor some boats near post falls, that will be nice for customers? I'm sure Duane would give you a good deal on slips near the resort:)

BearX1
03-06-2007, 08:26 PM
Hey UTAHWATERSPORTSGUY, what's the future hold for the X-1/205V? It seems all boat Mfrs. are going large.

I look forward to visiting your new store.

SkySkiSpokane
03-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Yea, to compete with his malibu dealership... hehe!! ;)

PendO
03-07-2007, 12:30 AM
Yea, to compete with his malibu dealership... hehe!! ;)

Dave, I heard that in the future it may be difficult to get a slip at his properties unless you bought your boat from one of his dealerships (http://www.hagadonemarine.com/) ... ever heard anything like that - not sayin' its true, more of a queston? Tell ya' what, is it nice to go see any boat show along the boardwalk ... if ever anyone goes on a golf or family vacation to Lake CdA try and plan it around one of the on the water boat shows, very cool.

It is probably comical to Dave, Bill, myself and other locals ... but here is a glimpse of the guy who owns the Bu/Carver/Cobalt dealership:

He also owns (as of 2003) #54 on the world's top 100 yachts (http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/megayachts/0803top100/index6.aspx)

Click here for some pictures (http://www.superyachtsociety.com/ladylola/default.cfm) ... Must be nice to be a Billionaire:)

54. LADY LOLA • L: 205'5"; Y: 2002
Do you enjoy golf? Duane Hagadone sure does—he enjoys it so much that he tees off from his yacht’s large, teak-laid swim platform. (The balls were reportedly made to float.) He also has 18 floating pins and a laser range marker, to figure out how far the ball is from the pin. Besides turning the ocean into his own giant driving range, Hagadone—with his wife, Lola—plans to travel the world onboard. He’ll have more time now that he’s retired from active management of the Idaho-based newspaper and hospitality business that bears his name. May we suggest spending evenings around the Steinway grand piano in the saloon?
B: Oceanco, South Africa/Holland; N: The “A” Group–Monte Carlo SAM; H: Steel; E: 2/2,000-hp Caterpillars

AirJunky
03-07-2007, 01:11 AM
HEhehe, you guys. Givin' the new guy a bad time? Your right though. Hagedone's Malibu dealer is going to give MC a run for their money. They have THE IDEAL location at the mouth of the river on lake CdA. Whereas the new guy is goin in right on I-90, probably where he'll get more drive-in traffic. And it will be interesting to see an X-45 or X-80 on little lakes like Liberty, Diamond, Newman or Hauser, all of which are just a few miles from the dealership. Those boats will fit in easily on lakes CdA, Preist or PdO, where all the rich Cali folk gather. And when all those Cali folk go home for 6 months in the winter, wonder whats going to pay the bills.
It will be interesting to see how it all develops.

PS: I'd pay money to watch some surfer back his X-45 down the public ramp on Liberty anytime. ;)

UTAHWATERSPORTSGUY
03-08-2007, 11:59 AM
We Always Bring In 1-2 X1's. But Thats Here In Utah, Up There May Be A Different Story. My Guess Would Be If Everyone Wants Smaller Boats Were Going To Deliver

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 12:24 PM
What's up, Bill! Haven't seen you around in a while!

sand2snow22
03-08-2007, 12:37 PM
Those boats will fit in easily on lakes CdA, Preist or PdO, where all the rich Cali folk gather.

Better than those huge, loud speed boats. Having gone to Priest every year of my life I'm glad it's still barely off the beaten path.......

AirJunky
03-08-2007, 02:38 PM
Not into +i++ie boats, eh, Sand2snow? ;) I have to agree. But frankly I don't see a lot more goin on on the X-80s either.

With all the private ski lakes here in eastern WA. and other small lakes in general, it'll be interesting to see what kind of boats sell around here. Still lots of big lakes too, Banks, Roosevelt & the rest of the Columbia River. So I'm sure the big boats can sell too.

Hey etex, long time, no see. Been doing other things this winter, snowskiing, ATVs, etc. This will be the longest stretch off the water for me in 14 years. I almost don't remember how it's done!

east tx skier
03-08-2007, 03:17 PM
Welcome back. Don't be a stranger!

PendO
03-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Better than those huge, loud speed boats. Having gone to Priest every year of my life I'm glad it's still barely off the beaten path.......

I was up there once and two air force/national guard jets buzzed the lake ... now that was loud ... I guess they had a superior officer up there and wanted to say hi ... priest is off the beaten path ... very beautiful:)