PDA

View Full Version : what is your home town best known for?

milkmania
03-01-2007, 10:25 PM
town were I raised is a large railroad roundhouse, and a runestone (http://www.midwesternepigraphic.org/heavener01.html).

town were I am now has a castle (http://www.dupontcastle.com/castles/captains.htm)
and I live near the world's tallest hill (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavanal_Hill) I look at it everyday,ad have 4 wheeled it many times

yes, I'm bored....
but what is your town famous for?

Monte
03-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Kings Mountain Battlegroud.. (Revolutionary war)
Don Gibson............Bluegrass/ country
Patty Lovelace...... country

That's about it........................

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
The town where I came from was the birthplace of TV. Milo Farnswoth was the inventor and the town was Rigby, Idaho.

FlatBoard
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
No matter what else happens in town ,the Buckeyes are always on the front page... Are they famous??? Depends on who you ask..

It's a slow night...

Footin
03-01-2007, 10:32 PM
No matter what else happens in town ,the Buckeyes are always on the front page... Are they famous??? Depends on who you ask..

It's a slow night...

Of course their famous!

X2M
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Might not be what it is best known for but.... K-Fed is from my home town. :o So sad for both him and the city. :rolleyes: LOL.....:D

Slinkyredfoot
03-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Carmel, Indiana...first automatic traffic signal, invented by Leslie Haines in 1921, although generally thought as a failure in local folklore, it was never the less a "first" in Indiana and United States History

FlatBoard
03-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Of course their famous!

Well you know, and I know, but what about those Gator fans...

Makes me Ill just thinking about it:mad:

milkmania
03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Carmel, Indiana...first automatic traffic signal, invented by Leslie Haines in 1921, although generally thought as a failure in local folklore, it was never the less a "first" in Indiana and United States History
sidenote/threadjack
there's a heavily road near here that's rebuilding a bridge one half at a time....
they are using solar powered traffic lights to maintain traffic flow.

oh, and the BIG news???? there was a head-on collision on that same bridge the other day:rolleyes:

hey, what'd ya expect? I live in the country8p

onlyinboards
03-01-2007, 10:39 PM
Birthplace of Buffalo Bill (the real one, not the "it puts the lotion in the basket" one)

André
03-01-2007, 10:51 PM
Birthplace of Buffalo Bill (the real one, not the "it puts the lotion in the basket" one)
Funny.The small place i live in now is known for Buffalo meat!:D

dmayer84
03-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Morristown NJ

Known as where the telegraph was invented

Where George Washington and the troops were encamped twice during the Revolutionary War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morristown,_New_Jersey

bigmac
03-01-2007, 10:56 PM
The movie "Fargo".

I thought it was hilarious. Many of the locals here in the Brainerd area were not amused.

mattsn
03-01-2007, 11:03 PM
The town where I came from was the birthplace of TV. Milo Farnswoth was the inventor and the town was Rigby, Idaho.
Try again. His name was Philo Farnworth and he did his work in Fort Wayne, IN. My brother worked in the labs that Philo used for his work.

cbryan70
03-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Elgin clock factory inthe early 1900's largest producer of fine watches inthe world. Ohh yeah we have a mental hospital to

cbryan70
03-01-2007, 11:08 PM
ohh yes i almost forgot inventor of the street sweeper

Monte
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
Jaws of life is built here too

dmayer84
03-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Jaws of life is built here too

The FD im in has the first pair ever built, and they are still in service.

suedv
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
When I was in high school I lived in Smiths Creek, MI. This is a little rural town with a post office, a catholic church, a protestant church, a hardware store, and a convenience store with one gas pump. Not a lot of excitement there.

However Smiths Creek has a claim to fame. The Grand Trunk Railroad has a rail line going from Port Huron, MI to Detroit that runs through Smiths Creek, MI.

Well, the great inventor Thomas Edison sold newspapers on the Port Huron to Detroit train during his boyhood. He set up a small lab in the mail car on the train. At one point he accidentally started a fire in the mail car. The angry conductor slapped him hard enough to cause permanent hearing loss and kicked him off the train in Smiths Creek.

The original train depot from Smiths Creek, MI was purchased from the Grand Trunk and moved to Greenfield Village in Dearborn, Michigan. If you ever visit Greenfield Village, you will see it there along with the Edison laboratory.

Here are some pictures of the Smiths Creek Depot
http://www.thehenryford.org/village/railroadjunction/smithscreek/default.asp

I live in Grand Rapids, MI now. This was the home of President Gerald R. Ford.

Leroy
03-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Also a art Gallery that was designated as the World's Smallest Children's Art Gallery by Guinness World Records.

Generally Carmel is know as excessive lifestyle.......however we are getting know for recreation, (great rail - trail path and 60M aquatic center) and arts, (with a 120M performing arts center being built).

Leroy
03-01-2007, 11:26 PM
Where great-grand father came from, Vignot, France is known for cookies......

Town has same last name, just changed to German spelling when they moved to America.

tex
03-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Cowtown-Where The West Begins.

TX.X-30 fan
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Oil Bidness, Dead Blonde Strippers, Enron :mad: , Astrodome, Ric,:D humidity, mosquito's, drum rollllllllllllll And ME.

Andyg
03-01-2007, 11:46 PM
Growing up was the purest water in the world and Lienenkugels Beer. Need good water to make good beer! Can't beat the water from the Big Eddy Spring in Chippewa Falls, WI.

Anyone see Tommy Boy? The Prehistoric Forest ring any bells? The sign they crashed through says Chippewa Falls so many miles. Best sequence of the movie there.

"That's it! Get out of the car!
It's go time, you and me.

Look Mommy, the rhino is
getting too close to the car.

Him too 'fraid to get out.
He just a little guy.

That's it big boy.
I'm gonna wail on you.

You're gonna regret volunteering
for this job, Porky

Hey boys and girls,
it's Papa Smurf!

You know what, you don't want
none of me, think it through

Come on, give me your best shot, and i'll
give you a free one! Let me have it!

That's it?

Come on, you can do better than that,
can't ya Captain Limp Wrist?

Try again

Hey everybody, is there a
window open? I feel a draft.

If i wanted a kiss,
i woulda called your mother.

That was a good one."

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-01-2007, 11:50 PM
"Vermilion (OH) was once known as the 'Village of Lake Captains.' "

" The Vermilion River endows marina facilities with more than 1,000 boat slips and ramps for easy access to the Lake, earning Vermilion the title of the 'Largest Small Boat Harbour on the Great Lakes.' "

See...boating is in my blood. :D

whitedog
03-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Growing up was the purest water in the world and Lienenkugels Beer. Need good water to make good beer! Can't beat the water from the Big Eddy Spring in Chippewa Falls, WI.

Thought Big Eddy was a horse!!!

TNH2oSkier
03-02-2007, 12:09 AM
The birthplace of Mastercraft. The Supra, Moomba and Allison Craft Boat factories. Oh yea, we also make most of the aluminum for drinking cans.

Maryville TN

Mikey
03-02-2007, 12:10 AM

I sure do miss that lienenkugels! Its a shame they dont sell it in the south.:( I always pick up a case when I go home to the U.P.

daveg
03-02-2007, 12:11 AM
Noblesville, Indiana.....County seat to the most conservative county in the nation (Hamilton County)...per a documentary on "60 Minutes" in the 1960's and a follow-up segment in the mid-1980's.

In other words.....Hillary need not apply!!

Check out the town square courthouse from the late 1800's....

P-hat_in_Cincy
03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
"Vermilion (OH) was once known as the 'Village of Lake Captains.' "

" The Vermilion River endows marina facilities with more than 1,000 boat slips and ramps for easy access to the Lake, earning Vermilion the title of the 'Largest Small Boat Harbour on the Great Lakes.' "

See...boating is in my blood. :D

...and apparently Miss Teen USA 2005

Leroy
03-02-2007, 12:15 AM
Beautiful town and know many people there!

Noblesville, Indiana.....County seat to the most conservative county in the nation (Hamilton County)...per a documentary on "60 Minutes" in the 1960's and a follow-up segment in the mid-1980's.

In other words.....Hillary need not apply!!

Check out the town square courthouse from the late 1800's....

TMCNo1
03-02-2007, 12:16 AM
-1st Moravian Village
-R J Reynolds Tobacco Co. (Winston, Salem, Camel and Doral Brands)
-Hanes Brands (SaraLee), Leggs Panty Hose, Underwear, T-shirts
-Krispy Kreme Doughnuts
-Blanch Taylor Moore
-Bowman Gray Stadium, NASCAR's Oldest sanctioned racetrack
-Richard Childress Racing
-Wake Forest University
-TMCNo1

Andyg
03-02-2007, 12:21 AM
I sure do miss that lienenkugels! Its a shame they dont sell it in the south.:( I always pick up a case when I go home to the U.P.

When I was in the eighth grade I took a case to my uncle in Portland, OR when I flew out to visit my cousins. Nothing like a 13 year old checking a case of beer on to the plane.

lakesnake
03-02-2007, 01:40 AM
had several players dabble in the professional baseball...nothing big, but nevertheless they went.

uncleboo
03-02-2007, 02:23 AM
TNH20Skier, I like the Maryville, TN post the best! (You also forgot to mention having a great 4A football team too. We have the best 5A teams in the state.)

My town (Murfreesboro, TN) is known for:
1) Fastest growing town in TN
2) Geographical Center of TN
3) Battle of Stones River (War of Northern Aggression aka Civil War)
4) Nissan Mfg. Plant
5) Chris Young (Nashville Star Winner)
6) MTSU (largest undergrad univ. in TN)
7) Nashville SuperSpeedway

Chief
03-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Moncks Corner, SC = Monks

Maristar210
03-02-2007, 07:40 AM
Grand Rapids Michigan formerly know as Furniture City USA

H20skeefreek
03-02-2007, 08:29 AM
Well, you asked for it! You've never heard of such a small town with so much stuff to know about it!
population only 46,000

Kokomo, Indiana
The City of Firsts

Here we go.
1894 - Elwood Haynes makes the first successful trial run of his "horseless carriage" on Pumpkinvine Pike. Yes, this is the first car in America.
1894 - The first pneumatic rubber tire was invented by D.C. Spraker at the Kokomo Rubber Tire Company.
1895 - The first aluminum casting was developed by William "Billy" Johnson from the Ford and Donnelly Foundry.
1902 - The first carburetor was invented by George Kingston.
1906 - The first Stellite cobalt-base alloy was discovered by Elwood Haynes.
1912 - Stainless steel tableware was invented by Elwood Haynes as a response to his wife's desire for tableware that wouldn't tarnish.
1918 - The Howitzer shell, used in World War I, was created by the Superior Machine Tool Company.
1918 - The first aerial bomb with fins was first produced by the Liberty Pressed Metal Company.
1920 - The mechanical corn picker was created by John Powell.
1926 - Carl Molin developed Dirilyte golden-hued tableware.
1928 - The first canned tomato juice was created by Walter Kemp from Kemp Brothers Canning Company in response to a physician's need for baby food.
1938 - The first push-button car radio was created at Delco Radio Division of General Motors Corporation.
1941 - Globe American Stove Company manufactured the first all-metal life boats and rafts.
1947 - The first signal-seeking car radio was created by the Delco Radio Division of General Motors.
1957 - Delco Radio Division of General Motors developed the first all transistor car radio.

Kokomo serves as the "City of Firsts" in the food industry as well. Kokomo opened the first McDonald's With A Diner Inside, locally called "McDiner." This McDonald's theme failed nationally, but did well in Kokomo. The store is now an ordinary McDonald's. Kokomo also opened the first Cracker Barrel not built near an interstate highway as well as the first Starbucks Coffee not built in a metropolitan area.

Kokomo Nicknames: "City of Firsts", "Stop Light City" (given by truckers driving through Kokomo on US Highway 31, infamous for its many traffic stops) When you first enter Kokomo, there are actually signs that say, "Congested area next 7 miles", and, "Multiple traffic signals next 7 miles".

"famous people":

Jack Purvis, jazz musician
Sylvia Kirby, singer
Ryan White, AIDS activist
Rupert Boneham, Survivor contestant
Tavis Smiley, social commentator
Elwood Haynes, inventor, automotive pioneer
Elmer Apperson, automotive pioneer
Edgar Apperson, automotive pioneer
Steve Butler, Six-time Sprint Car National Champion
Steve Kroft, 60 Minutes Correspondent
John D. Shearer, Photographer
Norman Bridwell, author of the Clifford the Big Red Dog books
Strother Martin, actor (best known as the prison "captain" in the 1967 film Cool Hand Luke)
Bob Ford, National-Award winning Sports Editor for the Kokomo Tribune.
Kaitlyn Christopher, Miss Indiana USA 2005
Matthew Crull, musician
Chris Thomas, Guitarist
Mark Langley, horse jockey
Floyd Talbert, Soldier (of Band of Brothers fame)
David Gray, Howard County Courthouse bomber

"major attractions"
Old Ben (http://www.cityofkokomo.org/department/division.asp?fDD=13-76), a stuffed Hereford steer (At Highland Park)
The Sycamore Stump (http://www.cityofkokomo.org/department/division.asp?fDD=13-76), a large stump located at Highland Park
Kokomo Beach (http://www.cityofkokomo.org/department/division.asp?fDD=13-48)
Kokomo Pipeline Skate Park (http://209.43.125.210/egov/apps/services/index.exe?path=details&action=i&id=19), located at Jackson Morrow Park
Kirkendall Interpretive Center (http://www.cityofkokomo.org/department/division.asp?fDD=13-77), nature center located at Jackson Morrow Park
Elwood Haynes Museum (http://www.cityofkokomo.org/department/division.asp?fDD=13-76), located next to Highland Park
City of Firsts Automotive Heritage Museum (http://www.automotiveheritagemuseum.org/)
Vermont Covered Bridge (http://www.cityofkokomo.org/department/division.asp?fDD=13-76), located in Highland Park
Seiberling Mansion, Howard County Museum (http://www.howardcountymuseum.org/)
Kokomo Visitors Center (http://www.kokomo-in.org/)(located on US 31 North)
Johanning Civic Center (http://www.johanningciviccenter.org/)
Chief Ma-Ko-Ko-Mo Burial and Monument, east of downtown Kokomo

06' X-2 R8R H8R
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
So Sorry but your wrong.....Rigby Idaho is in fact THE birthplace of TV

A.I. Rider
03-02-2007, 08:49 AM
Home town is Enterprise, AL.
Famous in the Army Aviation world and recently because of the tornado that just destoyed the high school. Its very sad to see a place you spent a lot of time at or near taken away like that.

Beyond all of that, we do have the Boll Weevil Monument which has made it into various elementary history books.

mrG
03-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Burbank, CA; as in "Beautiful Downtown Burbank" ??? A couple of the more famous things were the Tonight Show, Lockheed Skunk Works ie(SR-71)

chudson
03-02-2007, 09:35 AM
Erika Harold Miss America2003, very nice family great people!!!

slalomskifreak
03-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Cat's world headquarters.

tommcat
03-02-2007, 10:09 AM
Springfield, MA would be best known as the home of Dr. Seuss, and the Springfield Armory, where the M1 Garand and 03 Springfield rifles were designed and manufactured.

beef
03-02-2007, 10:15 AM
I'm from Buffalo, NY.

Chicken wings and snow!

Sodar
03-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Seal Beach was the original home to the Saturn 5 Rocket for the Apollo missions. All the rockets were built in this building by Rockwell and then transported down to the beach, where they were loaded onto a Navy ship and transported to Florida.

Here is the building:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c0/Saturn_v_building_seal_beach.jpg/682px-

Here is the rocket going down Seal Beach Blvd.
http://history.nasa.gov/MHR-5/Images/fig396.jpg

jlf
03-02-2007, 10:23 AM
LaCrosse, WI famous for not being able to solve murders. There are billboards all over the nation that say, "If you want to get away with murder move to LaCrosse."

They guy who killed his mother and stuck her in the freezer. Ever seen the bumper stickers that say "My mother is cooler than yours!" or "What's in your freezer?"

Of Course the World's Largest Six Pack is here in LaCrosse.

milkmania
03-02-2007, 10:26 AM
LaCrosse, WI famous for not being able to solve murders. There are billboards all over the nation that say, "If you want to get away with murder move to LaCrosse."

They guy who killed his mother and stuck her in the freezer. Ever seen the bumper stickers that say "My mother is cooler than yours!" or "What's in your freezer?"

what about the cheese curdles, or whatever they were?

or, is that an overall Wisconsin thing?

SkiDog
03-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Ok, here we go. Glynn Co. Ga.

1) Sea Island - 5 star, 5 diamond resort. In the top ten of all the resorts in the WORLD. www.seaisland.com/
2) Home of Davis Love III PGA golfer, 19 tour wins, including 5 times MCI Champion, 1997 PGA Champion, 6 Ryder Cup teams, 6 World Cup teams, 6 Presidents Cups teams, $35,183,159 overall winnings.
3) Home of Jonathon Byrd PGA golfer $6,218,137 in winnings. 2 time PGA winner
4) Home of Adam Wainright MBL. St. Louis Cardinal's relief pitcher. Pitched the last inning of the 2006 World Series, and WON!
5) Quame Brown, NBA. First Player EVER drafted out of high school, to be picked # 1 overall. Played for Washington Wizards along with Micheal Jordon.
Brunswick is also the western most city on the East coast.
Bordered on the East by 3 barrier Islands, Jekyll, St. Simons, Sea Island.
All three islands are resorts destinations.
Home of GULFSTREAM jets, finishing plant.
Home of Skidog & his pal 'Harold' the Peacock!

Sodar
03-02-2007, 10:30 AM
We also have a few stars living in town.
- Sandra Bullock/Jesse James (They were walking to pick up Jesse's kids from school, across the street from my house.)
http://hcgtv.org/galleries/rated/sandra_bullock_jesse_james.jpg

Cameron Diaz and her parents both live in town

http://www.sawf.org/Newsphotos/Hollywood/cameron_diaz_leaving_sound_studio.jpg

Rumor has it that Tom Selick just bought some property on the beach, but I have not seen him around town yet, so I can neither confirm nor deny! That is all I have for the Papparazi Report!!!! :D

jlf
03-02-2007, 10:33 AM
what about the cheese curdles, or whatever they were?

or, is that an overall Wisconsin thing?
Cheese Curds they were and they are all over the Midwest. There is a town about 45 mins from here where Lance is from, they are known to have some of the best curds around, Westby Cheese Curds. It amazes me other area's of the nation have no idea what they are. Don't know what you are missing!! You should try cheese curds batter fried, yummy!!:D

Faded & X9-Rated
03-02-2007, 10:35 AM
World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party!!!! :friday:

Super Bowl XXXIX

Largest City (in square miles) in the lower 48 states

Home of the JAGUARS!!!!

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Self proclaimed Rose Capital of America. Also, the locale that ultimately gave rise to the movie Rush. Home of Earl Campbell and actor, Arthur "Dooley" Wilson (Sam in Casablanca). Location of 2005 HGTV Dream Home.

ilikeitglacy
03-02-2007, 11:19 AM
home of the Montréal Canadians: most crowned professional team (all sport included)with 26 stanley cup:worthy:

vegashomeexpert
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM
Hmm...? Playground for Paris & Britney? Home to Michael Jackson? Tiger's first professional win? Evander getting his ear bit off? Evel Kneivel crashing while jumping the Ceaser's fountain? The world's largest hotel (MGM)? The world's largest construction project (City Center)? The first non NBA city to host the all star game? New Years? NASCAR? The "Happiest Mayor in the World"? Home to 3 of the 10 richest people in the world (Sheldon Adelson, Kirk Kirkorian, and Pierre Omedyer (founder of ebay)? Famous for being famous? Big Momma's Rib Shack?

Sodar
03-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Hmm...? Playground for Paris & Britney? Home to Michael Jackson? Tiger's first professional win? Evander getting his ear bit off? Evel Kneivel crashing while jumping the Ceaser's fountain? The world's largest hotel (MGM)? The world's largest construction project (City Center)? The first non NBA city to host the all star game? New Years? NASCAR? The "Happiest Mayor in the World"? Home to 3 of the 10 richest people in the world (Sheldon Adelson, Kirk Kirkorian, and Pierre Omedyer (founder of ebay)? Famous for being famous? Big Momma's Rib Shack?

OK OK OK!!!! YOU WIN!!!! ha ha ha ha ha:D ;) :D

betsy&david Harrison
03-02-2007, 11:34 AM
Sugar Beets,Lima Beans, Oil(way back when on the last three), strawberries, citrus, and avocados

vegashomeexpert
03-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Nice to be known for something;) .

Ron Grover
03-02-2007, 11:40 AM
Quite an impressive list from all those cities but Kansas City has one thing you can't live without.......

If you ain't eatin' Kansas City BAR-BE-QUE than you ain't livin'

River Rat
03-02-2007, 11:49 AM
Brazoria TX. Where Texas was born. There is a lot of history all along the Brazos in that area.
Freeport TX. Home of the largest chemical complex in North America and where Dow started making Magnesium in the 40’s. for the war effort.
See everything is bigger in TEXAS:D

richardsoncd
03-02-2007, 11:57 AM
Roswell, GA...Sherman burned our mill on his way to Savannah, but left a majority of the antebellum homes. And my old high school won the AAAAA State Football Championship last year.

JKTX21
03-02-2007, 12:04 PM
Cowtown-Where The West Begins.

I grew up between a little place called Godley and Fort Worth, Tejas. Cowtown is famous for the Stockyards, pretty women, sunny days and DIRT!

milkmania
03-02-2007, 12:11 PM
hey guys & gals.....

thanks for playinhttp://www.rejectsworld.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/wav.gif

M-Funf
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Seal Beach was the original home to the Saturn 5 Rocket for the Apollo missions. All the rockets were built in this building by Rockwell and then transported down to the beach, where they were loaded onto a Navy ship and transported to Florida.

Sodar, I can't tell you the number of times I've driven by that building and wondered what the heck they used it for...Thanks!

WakeSeeky
03-02-2007, 12:14 PM

All that AND we can get cheese curds here. ;)

shepherd
03-02-2007, 12:19 PM
Spring break

rcnjson
03-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Don't forget the worlds biggest drinking contest... Blatz -vs- Old Style

M-Funf
03-02-2007, 12:22 PM
Petaluma, CA

"World's Egg basket". 50 Million Dozen eggs annually between 1870's-1940's.

Worlds ONLY chicken Pharmacy :o

Lyman Byce invented the first chicken incubator in 1879.

The first air mail flight originated in Petaluma (destination Santa Rosa), but had mechanical troubles that delayed the trip by two days. The airplane is now in the Smithsonian.

World Wristwrestling Capitol.

Andyg
03-02-2007, 12:26 PM
I can't believe I forgot to mention Cray Supercomputers were originally designed and are still built in Chippewa Falls, WI. They were the worlds fastest computers for most of the 80s and 90s, but I don't know where they stand now. Not bad for a city with a population of 13,000 people. Chippewa Falls, the Silicon Valley of the Midwest!

jrcarte78
03-02-2007, 12:28 PM
Northwest Arkansas....

Home of Wal-Mart and a majority of the Walton clan. Helen, Jim, and S Robson Walton still live in Bentonville and are worth a combined total of approximately $47 BILLION(according to Forbes last "World's Richest People" list). Needless to say, we're pretty proud of Wally World no matter what anyone says :D

Home of Tyson Foods and the Tyson family, themselves worth a chunk of change.

Home to JB Hunt Trucking.

Home of the University of Arkansas.

Home of the undisputed worst college football coach in the nation... Houston Nutt :mad:

Civil war battlefields in Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove.

J.R.

milkmania
03-02-2007, 12:36 PM
Northwest Arkansas....

Home of Wal-Mart and a majority of the Walton clan. Helen, Jim, and S Robson Walton still live in Bentonville and are worth a combined total of approximately $47 BILLION(according to Forbes last "World's Richest People" list). Needless to say, we're pretty proud of Wally World no matter what anyone says :D

Home of Tyson Foods and the Tyson family, themselves worth a chunk of change.

Home to JB Hunt Trucking.

Home of the University of Arkansas.

Home of the undisputed worst college football coach in the nation... Houston Nutt :mad:

Civil war battlefields in Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove.

J.R.

I thought your av was the nutt man.....:rolleyes:

slink976
03-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Unfortunatly, Meth

jrcarte78
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
I thought your av was the nutt man.....:rolleyes:

He is terrible... I don't know what it's gonna take for us to get rid of him? I just hope it's soon.

You've probably done some reading on the whole mess. What's your opinion Milk?

J.R.

milkmania
03-02-2007, 01:32 PM
He is terrible... I don't know what it's gonna take for us to get rid of him? I just hope it's soon.

You've probably done some reading on the whole mess. What's your opinion Milk?

J.R.

I lost interest in UofA sports due to Nolan Richardson:rolleyes:

M-Funf
03-02-2007, 01:43 PM
Unfortunatly, Meth

I thought Lake County had that honor, no?

jrcarte78
03-02-2007, 02:00 PM
I lost interest in UofA sports due to Nolan Richardson:rolleyes:

Can't blame you there. :o

J.R.

slink976
03-02-2007, 02:02 PM
I thought Lake County had that honor, no?

Yeah, it's a hot spot too. God I wish that crap would just disappear from the face of this earth!

Ric
03-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Gilley's .

Sodar
03-02-2007, 03:30 PM
Yeah, it's a hot spot too. God I wish that crap would just disappear from the face of this earth!

I was just watching a special on the National Geographic Channel about the drug and was completely enthralled by the destruction and problems it is causing nationwide. I just about lost my dinner, when they showed what physical ailments it caused such as acne, caved in face and the grossest of all, was "meth mouth", which is the decay of users teeth, due to the drug....

Datdude
03-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Waukesha, WI (Milwaukee suburb)

Famous for "healing spring water"(springs dried up now), and some Les Paul guy (guitar player?)

atlfootr
03-02-2007, 03:35 PM
WATERSKI CAPITAL of THE WORLD! :D
Barefoot'n and Alligators, too :)

milkmania
03-02-2007, 03:36 PM
I was just watching a special on the National Geographic Channel about the drug and was completely enthralled by the destruction and problems it is causing nationwide. I just about lost my dinner, when they showed what physical ailments it caused such as acne, caved in face and the grossest of all, was "meth mouth", which is the decay of users teeth, due to the drug....

note to self:
google is not always a good thing!http://www.rejectsworld.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/hiding.gif

jenglin
03-02-2007, 03:38 PM
My home town is know for the World's Largest Bull!!! Audubon, Iowa and Albert The Bull!

milkmania
03-02-2007, 03:42 PM
My home town is know for the World's Largest Bull!!! Audubon, Iowa and Albert The Bull!

well, somebody had to say it8p

rcnjson
03-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Waukesha, WI (Milwaukee suburb)

Famous for "healing spring water"(springs dried up now), and some Les Paul guy (guitar player?)

True,
I work in Waukesha, I drive past the birthplace of Les Paul sign every morning.

My home town is West Bend, any of you familar with the West Bend Co.?
West Bend Co. made stir crazy popcorn poppers among other things.
Oh yeah and Amity wallets.
Both factories have been converted to condo's and all manufacturing is done in China, all thats left are a couple of factory stores.

hacker
03-02-2007, 05:03 PM
Where I live now, Painted Post NY; Nothing... except Ric knew Dresser Rand is there:confused:

I grew up about 3 miles from where I now live, in Corning NY. Corning is known for glass. The Corning Museum of Glass used to be (and still is, I believe) the 3rd largest tourist destination in NY state.:rolleyes:

Where I work, Elmira NY; famous people!
Mark Twain spent his summers here.
Hal Roach (http://www.cityofelmira.net/history/hal_roach.html) was a film pioneer
Eileen Collins, the first female shuttle pilot and later commander is from Elmira.
Ernie Davis was the first black athlete to win the Heisman Trophy.
Current NBC news anchor, Brian Williams grew up here.
Tommy Hilfiger:rolleyes:
Kirt Manwaring; MLB
2 PGA golfers Joey Sindelar and Mike Hulbert
1 current PBA bowler Ryan Schafer
The Bodine brothers of NASCAR fame are from the area also.

ilikeitglacy
03-02-2007, 05:16 PM
I live in Mascouche, Québec, home of former LA Dodgers pitcher and 2005 CyYong winner... Éric Gagné... or was it 2004:rolleyes:

RickDV
03-02-2007, 05:31 PM
Grand Haven, Michigan (I am sure you all know it well) is the home of "the world's largest musical fountain" and recognized as the birthplace of the United States Coast Guard.

They say it's all true... I heard it ad naseum while growing up. Read it for yourself at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Haven_Musical_Fountain

cst573
03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
Tobacco Road! (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill/ Carolina,Duke NC State)

WAT8415
03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
Grand Coulee Dam, Washington famous for..you guess it Grand Coulee Dam and Lake Roosevelt

Footin
03-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Places I have live:

Bath, Ohio - Jeffery Dahlmer, lived 5 houses away from my parents.
Elyria, Ohio - Famous for ?
Nashville, TN - Music city USA and Dave Ramsey.
Columbus, Ohio - THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!

wtoddburns
03-02-2007, 06:58 PM
Chicken capital of the world!!!

Hoosier Bob
03-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Indianapolis, Indiana home of Zeb's BBQ, the Third Worlds Largest Ball of Yarn, Crabby the Crab Boy, The Superbowl Champions, The ABA Champions, The Indianapolis 500, The Brickyard 400, The US Grand Prix, The future US Moto GP, Indiana Bananas, Ely Lilly, World's largest Mini Marathon, The Eiteljorg, Hoosier Bob and Americas First Strip Club to incorporate a Shower Stall!:D

TMCNo1
03-03-2007, 09:43 AM
Indianapolis, Indiana home of Zeb's BBQ, the Third Worlds Largest Ball of Yarn, Crabby the Crab Boy, The Superbowl Champions, The ABA Champions, The Indianapolis 500, The Brickyard 400, The US Grand Prix, The future US Moto GP, Indiana Bananas, Ely Lilly, World's largest Mini Marathon, The Eiteljorg, Hoosier Bob and Americas First Strip Club to incorporate a Shower Stall!:D

And the world famous,
Hoosier Bob

dapicatti
03-03-2007, 02:46 PM
APPLES

60% of Washingtons Apples come from my hometown.

dapicatti
03-03-2007, 02:49 PM
WINE

We also grow 99% of the grapes used to make Washington Wines.

RexDog1
03-03-2007, 09:15 PM
Well Yorba Linda was known, 8 or so years ago, for the Richard Nixon Library his birthplace……..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Nixon_Library_%26_Birthplace (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Nixon_Library_%26_Birthplace)
Then John Force became famous, and it was the home of John Force
And the Richard Nixon Library..

Now it is the home of Ashley Force 8p and her dad,:D I forget his name????
Oh and we have some books on some president??????…………:rolleyes:

bigmac
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
So Sorry but your wrong.....Rigby Idaho is in fact THE birthplace of TV

The internet never lies... (http://www.outwestnewspaper.com/tv.html)

http://www.outwestnewspaper.com/images/tvbirthplace.jpg

JohnnyB
03-04-2007, 09:19 AM
The movie "Fargo".

I thought it was hilarious. Many of the locals here in the Brainerd area were not amused.

Isn't Brainerd known for drag racing, too??

JohnnyB
03-04-2007, 09:21 AM

Anyone see Tommy Boy? The Prehistoric Forest ring any bells? The sign they crashed through says Chippewa Falls so many miles. Best sequence of the movie there.

"That's it! Get out of the car!
It's go time, you and me.

Look Mommy, the rhino is
getting too close to the car.

Him too 'fraid to get out.
He just a little guy.

That's it FAT boy.
I'm gonna wail on you.

You're gonna regret volunteering
for this job, Porky

Hey boys and girls,
it's Papa Smurf!

You know what, you don't want
none of me, think it through

Come on, give me your best shot, and i'll
give you a free one! Let me have it!

That's it?

Come on, you can do better than that,
can't ya Captain Limp Wrist?

Try again

Hey everybody, is there a
window open? I feel a draft.

If i wanted a kiss,
i woulda called your mother.

That was a good one."

Oh my god, what happened to your face!!!!

JohnnyB
03-04-2007, 09:23 AM

Not sold out east either.

When I lived in the South, I thought a good career change would've been a Leinenkugel's distributorship.

Of course, they've been owned by Miller since the early 90s.

JohnnyB
03-04-2007, 09:34 AM
Green Bay....

Per sports illustrated..."a beer and a shot town"

The Legendary Green Bay Packers!!
The most beautiful stadium in the NFL! (my unbiased opinion)
National Railroad Museum
Vegetable canneries
Paper Mills
Titletown Brewing Company

mash
03-04-2007, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=H20skeefreek]Well, you asked for it! You've never heard of such a small town with so much stuff to know about it!
population only 46,000

Kokomo, Indiana
The City of Firsts

Here we go.
1894 - Elwood Haynes makes the first successful trial run of his "horseless carriage" on Pumpkinvine Pike. Yes, this is the first car in America.
1894 - The first pneumatic rubber tire was invented by D.C. Spraker at the Kokomo Rubber Tire Company.
1895 - The first aluminum casting was developed by William "Billy" Johnson from the Ford and Donnelly Foundry.
1902 - The first carburetor was invented by George Kingston.
1906 - The first Stellite cobalt-base alloy was discovered by Elwood Haynes.
1912 - Stainless steel tableware was invented by Elwood Haynes as a response to his wife's desire for tableware that wouldn't tarnish.
1918 - The Howitzer shell, used in World War I, was created by the Superior Machine Tool Company.
1918 - The first aerial bomb with fins was first produced by the Liberty Pressed Metal Company.
1920 - The mechanical corn picker was created by John Powell.
1926 - Carl Molin developed Dirilyte golden-hued tableware.
1928 - The first canned tomato juice was created by Walter Kemp from Kemp Brothers Canning Company in response to a physician's need for baby food.
1938 - The first push-button car radio was created at Delco Radio Division of General Motors Corporation.
1941 - Globe American Stove Company manufactured the first all-metal life boats and rafts.
1947 - The first signal-seeking car radio was created by the Delco Radio Division of General Motors.
1957 - Delco Radio Division of General Motors developed the first all transistor car radio.

Kokomo serves as the "City of Firsts" in the food industry as well. Kokomo opened the first McDonald's With A Diner Inside, locally called "McDiner." This McDonald's theme failed nationally, but did well in Kokomo. The store is now an ordinary McDonald's. Kokomo also opened the first Cracker Barrel not built near an interstate highway as well as the first Starbucks Coffee not built in a metropolitan area.

You've done your homework, there! I live in Kokomo, didn't know all that stuff.

I was born in Lafayette, Indiana, home of the famous BOILERMAKERS

1boarder
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Newsoms, VA

Home of the Jumbo Peanut.
Nothing else to say other than one blinking stop sign.

ProTour X9
03-04-2007, 10:24 AM
Well no big history, but Michigan has the most recreational boats in the country.

heychance95
03-04-2007, 10:28 AM
My hometown has several things. It was part of Sherman's march to the sea. It was a former state capital. and most of all it is the home of Central State Hospital (loony bin).......probably best known for the latter

TMCNo1
03-04-2007, 11:14 AM
The little town we actually live in, Walkertown, next to Winston Salem , just got a sewer system????????????????

JimN
03-04-2007, 11:53 AM
X2momma- isn't Huey Lewis from Clovis? I would probably tell more people about him than K-Fed(up).

Milk- I hope they aren't saying that the stone was first marked in 600-900A.D. with the name in English. They didn't even speak English in England until after that time period.

dapicatti
03-04-2007, 04:37 PM
HOPS!! Most of you wouldn't be enjoying a cold frosty beer without our hops! I can't believe I forgot about that.

dapicatti
03-04-2007, 04:42 PM
We have the only fresh hop ale festival anywhere. From the Vine to brew within 24 hours.....really a cool thing.

milkmania
03-04-2007, 05:04 PM
X2momma- isn't Huey Lewis from Clovis? I would probably tell more people about him than K-Fed(up).

Milk- I hope they aren't saying that the stone was first marked in 600-900A.D. with the name in English. They didn't even speak English in England until after that time period.

here's more of a story behind it http://www2.privatei.com/~bartjean/chap9.htm

I guess I've been to the stone about a dozen times:rolleyes:

onlyinboards
03-04-2007, 06:35 PM
Another thing my town is known for is it's where the TapOut crew like Tim Sylvia, Pat Militech, Matt Hughes, all workout. UFC guys.

jlf
03-05-2007, 09:21 AM
Damien Miller of the Brewers (and the former World Series Champ. Arizona Diamondbacks) grew up just around the block from me in West Salem.

sizzler
03-05-2007, 09:26 AM
tilbury ,essex......

home of the worlds rarest dog.........the tilbury whelkhound

sizzler
03-05-2007, 11:38 AM

:confused: jim...what did we speak then????

H20skeefreek
03-05-2007, 01:15 PM
:confused: jim...what did we speak then????
Pig Latin.....

peason
03-05-2007, 01:24 PM
Cat's world headquarters.

Hometown of Morton, IL world distribution of Caterpillar parts - suburb of Peoria, IL - Caterpillar World HQ. Also home to largest ethanol plant -ADM former Hiram Walker plant.

Now reside in Stillwater, MN - birthplace of Minnesota.

herringtech
03-05-2007, 02:05 PM
My hometown Park Ridge, IL is best known for several location shoots for the Blues Brothers. The famous S.C.M.O.D.S. scene was shot there. And unfortunately Hillary Clinton grew up and graduated from Main South High School.

ProTour X9
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Wow, nice :)

cbryan70
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM
Man i did not know hillary was from so close to me....I am now ashamed of Illinois

Monte
03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Man i did not know hillary was from so close to me....I am now ashamed of Illinois

Sorry man!!! them's the breaks:rolleyes:

sten76
03-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Born in Rockford, IL "The Screw Capital of the World".

JimN
03-05-2007, 09:42 PM
Sizzler- between 600 and 900 AD, as the link below says, Early Olde English was spoken but Latin, Celtic/Gaelic were also being spoken. What I meant was that English as we know it wasn't spoken then because it hadn't developed into what it is now. Plus, Danelaw had a big influence on the country as a whole, including the language.

I wonder how the "Anarcho-Syndicalist Serf" scene from "Holy Grail" would have sounded in real life.

Do you know anything about The Battle of Sherston or Wiltshire? One of my ancestors came here from Wiltshire and John Rattlebone may have been another.

www.eltnewsletter.com/back/May2000/art142000.shtml

JimN
03-05-2007, 09:43 PM
Sten- Ginger doesn't count for anything?

SkiDog
03-05-2007, 11:19 PM
Ok, here we go. Glynn Co. Ga.

1) Sea Island - 5 star, 5 diamond resort. In the top ten of all the resorts in the WORLD. www.seaisland.com/
2) Home of Davis Love III PGA golfer, 19 tour wins, including 5 times MCI Champion, 1997 PGA Champion, 6 Ryder Cup teams, 6 World Cup teams, 6 Presidents Cups teams, $35,183,159 overall winnings.
3) Home of Jonathon Byrd PGA golfer $6,218,137 in winnings. 2 time PGA winner
4) Home of Adam Wainright MBL. St. Louis Cardinal's relief pitcher. Pitched the last inning of the 2006 World Series, and WON!
5) Quame Brown, NBA. First Player EVER drafted out of high school, to be picked # 1 overall. Played for Washington Wizards along with Micheal Jordon.
Brunswick is also the western most city on the East coast.
Bordered on the East by 3 barrier Islands, Jekyll, St. Simons, Sea Island.
All three islands are resorts destinations.
Home of GULFSTREAM jets, finishing plant.
Home of Skidog & his pal 'Harold' the Peacock!

I forgot one.. Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. The largest law enforcement training facility in the country! (Thanks BriEOD)

Monte
03-05-2007, 11:21 PM
I forgot one.. Federal Law Enforcement Training Center. The largest law enforcement training facility in the country! (Thanks Brieod)

That is impressive SD...... Bet you gotta watch that backside:D