PDA

View Full Version : What rope to use

Rallyspitman
03-01-2007, 05:10 PM
OK, So living in the UK, waterski equipment is VERY expensive, and also very poor choice. I need a new rope and handle, but due to the massive cost (140+ pounds) for a tournament level rope I want to mail order from the US, or collect on a business trip. Trouble is when you get mail order you can get Rubbish....Like I have now!!! I'm not an expert skier - Started on the slalom last year and hope to get into short line this summer, but I don't like rubbish, and also appreciate the confidence having quality kit gives. I appreciate that the handle is a personal choice so this might have to be tried and tested, but as for the rope, well I'm after somthing nice and thick but also soft and pliable, well formed and tidy shortening loops with no fraying splices like you get on cheap offerings!

Who uses what and why?

erkoehler
03-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Liquid Sports, the Chicago MasterCraft ProShop, has Ronix and Helium ropes/handles available now!!!!

We'll ship it to you without a problem :) Just let me know what you need. Send me a PM or email at eric@riverviewmarine.com

east tx skier
03-01-2007, 05:27 PM
I've had good luck with masterline.

www.masterlineusa.com

Or, you can email Brenda at In Tow and she'll take very good care of you.

In Tow (http://www.jlbmfg.com/My_Homepage_Files/Page1.html)

pq2
03-01-2007, 06:20 PM
I use Accurate lines, there are not the best but good on the price

PendO
03-01-2007, 06:47 PM
OK, So living in the UK, waterski equipment is VERY expensive, and also very poor choice. I need a new rope and handle, but due to the massive cost (140+ pounds) for a tournament level rope I want to mail order from the US, or collect on a business trip. Trouble is when you get mail order you can get Rubbish....Like I have now!!! I'm not an expert skier - Started on the slalom last year and hope to get into short line this summer, but I don't like rubbish, and also appreciate the confidence having quality kit gives. I appreciate that the handle is a personal choice so this might have to be tried and tested, but as for the rope, well I'm after somthing nice and thick but also soft and pliable, well formed and tidy shortening loops with no fraying splices like you get on cheap offerings!

Who uses what and why?

Send me 140pounds and I will get you 3 tournament ropes ... and I'll buy myself dinner and a case of beer

140# = 274.85 dollars (yikes)

erkoehler
03-01-2007, 07:21 PM
To get the "best" quality wakeboard rope and handle made by Helium, which is the top of the line that we have in the store right now your looking at $250.

To get a "good" quality rope/handle made by Gator, your looking at $150.

For the weekend wally special, your looking at $60.

sanjuan23
03-01-2007, 07:33 PM
I guess that means the 35.00 line from wally world should be used for something else?

BrianM
03-01-2007, 07:38 PM
To get the "best" quality wakeboard rope and handle made by Helium, which is the top of the line that we have in the store right now your looking at $250.

To get a "good" quality rope/handle made by Gator, your looking at $150.

For the weekend wally special, your looking at $60.
Ouch! Brenda (In Tow) makes an extremely high quality slalom mainline for $49 and in my opinion the best slalom handle out there for $50 (strung in Spectra add $11). So $99 or $110 for a top quality rope and handle.

What on earth makes a Helium rope and handle worth $250 :confused: Even a Barefoot International 100' Spectra line and Handle only runs $99.

erkoehler
03-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Those are prices for wakeboard ropes.....Sorry, I thought we were talking wakeboarding:confused:

I thought because of the high prices he posted we were talking wakeboarding, if we are talking slalom skiing then it is a whole new ball game.

PendO
03-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Those are prices for wakeboard ropes.....Sorry, I thought we were talking wakeboarding:confused:

I thought because of the high prices he posted we were talking wakeboarding, if we are talking slalom skiing then it is a whole new ball game.

Erk, seriously, pay attention ... I'd hate to see you wind up selling used BlueWaters

Footin
03-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Erk, seriously, pay attention ... I'd hate to see you wind up selling used BlueWaters

Ya you Putz!

milkmania
03-01-2007, 10:04 PM
How It's Made episode 73 on Discovery channel showed how ropes were made...
Even made Spectra ropes and huge marine ropes

great stuff!http://www.freewebby.com/action-smilies/approval.gif

slink976
03-01-2007, 10:08 PM
so this means my striaght line ($79) rope is a wally rope? :( dude and I just got a new handle for it proline LG series (74.99) I think that is a decent rig. I don't plan on being on the pro tour any day soon.

PendO
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Now, from my research I see there are a few different types of BlueWater Boats ... here is one called the "Malibu" a 19' Bluewater ... coincidence?

http://www.bluewater-boats.com/malibu.html

Footin
03-01-2007, 10:11 PM
Slolom: Straightline
Wakeboard: Accurate
Barefoot: Barefoot International Poly E

east tx skier
03-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Like the avatar, Milk. Erk, he's definitely looking for ski rope.

PendO
03-01-2007, 10:20 PM
I like both StraightLine and Accurate lines ...

PendO
03-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Ouch! Brenda (In Tow) makes an extremely high quality slalom mainline for $49 and in my opinion the best slalom handle out there for $50 (strung in Spectra add $11). So $99 or $110 for a top quality rope and handle.

What on earth makes a Helium rope and handle worth $250 :confused: Even a Barefoot International 100' Spectra line and Handle only runs $99.

ANSWER: NOTHING

Butttttttttt, it does help with gas (petrol) $$ for Erk's sled:)

André
03-01-2007, 10:30 PM
I'm really cheap.
I try to use as less rope as possible...:D
Masterline stuff for me.

cbryan70
03-01-2007, 11:02 PM
ive got strait line

Andyg
03-01-2007, 11:33 PM
I remember the first slalom rope I bought when I was in highschool. I thought a rope was a rope so I went with the cheap one. First time out with the new rope I almost killed myself. The thing was more like a rubberband than a rope. Ever since then I have bought straightline and have never had a problem. My barefoot handles are BI and the ropes I can't remember, homemade though. I get them in bulk from the Wisconsin State Show Tournament.