PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Lift Kit Springs

bfinley
08-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Where is a good source for springs to put a lift kit on my trailer??

Brandon

bcampbe7
08-03-2004, 03:47 PM
Could you do it "old school" and flip the leaf springs over...

bfinley
08-03-2004, 05:37 PM
I think that would be overkill. I just want to lift it a couple inches to keep it from dragging in my driveway.

east tx skier
08-03-2004, 06:07 PM
I had a guy who builds RVs fabricate some 2" steel blocks for my trailer. At first he was going to order some, but didn't like the looks of them as far as preventing fore and aft movement over the axle (which he described as small). Once they were in, I got the trailer aligned, and then he welded the pins in place. It was just the ticket for getting down the driveway. I do, however, have to do it at an angle to avoid the drag.

My springs were already over the axle and were somewhere between flat and slightly bent up (u shaped) (can't remember if that's convex or concave, sorry).

Someone, I forget who, put some springs with more flex in that he noticed at his dealership. They were rated for his trailer load, too. Got him somewhere in the neighborhood of 3.5" 2" worked great for me though.

east tx skier
08-17-2004, 11:33 PM
Well, here's a picture of my lift after the fact. Better late than never. Need some 15" rims to fill out the gap.

MarkP
08-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Doug that looks great. I used thick blocks to ovoid changing the U bolts. It helped a lot (as much as I expected), but man, it looks like you can go 4 wheeling now.

Any shots of underneath?

dbwilliams6457
08-18-2004, 10:40 AM
I had a similar problem with my trailer dragging. I went to a local trailer store and they recommended replacing the springs. Fortunately they didn't have the appropriate springs. I contacted Mastercraft customer service and they recommended that I contact a Mastercraft dealer which I did. I spoke to Lex Pearson at Rambo Marine in Hazel Green, AL. He sent me the new springs that MC is recommending for my trailer. Total cost with shipping was about $80.00. It raised the trailer about two inches. Really did the trick. A couple of friends helped with the project to change the springs. Took about 45 minutes.

Don

east tx skier
08-18-2004, 11:42 AM
Don, where was that info 2 months ago! :) I've got such a steep driveway that I still have to drag it out at an angle to keep from scraping. Finding the right angle going back up the driveway can be challenging at times. But just knowing that I can do it is a load off my mind. No shots of the blocks yet, but they're pretty unremarkable. I'll try to get some more pics up soon.

Sounds like Don has the solution. Don, are the springs just more concave? (or is it convex)?

MarkP
08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
concave? (or is it convex)? I think it depends what side your looking at it from..

This side is concave ) this side is convex

Dbwilliams, how long ago was that? Did you get a part #

dbwilliams6457
08-18-2004, 03:48 PM
I did this two weeks ago. Talk to Lex Pearson, at Rambo Marine, 1-800-844-3590. I called and asked about the part number, but Lex is not in the store today, he'll be in tomorrow. This really worked well for me, and as I said earlier, it was an easy fix. As far as being more concave or convex, it depends on how you look at them, but they are more........of whichever word you would use to describe them. I also ordered the new drag wheels that MC is offering on the newer trailers. They were $14.00 ea. also from Rambo. I haven't put them on, and I may not need to. I originally was going to put the lift kit on, but the new springs took care of my problem. Lex, at Rambo Marine was very helpful.

Don

east tx skier
08-18-2004, 03:53 PM
Well, if I ever have a problem with my lift, I'll definitely give him a call. Was it $14 for just the wheels or is that axle, housing and everything? Steel wheels or poly?

MarkP
08-18-2004, 04:00 PM
Dbw

Are you going to show us some photos of that boat/trailer?? Also I would be interested in seeing the new wheels that MC has to offer.