PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Wine

CarlosCabanas
02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
What's your favorite wine??? Tell us about it! How much??? How often? No beer drinking red necks allowed!! Okay kidding .... just put down the gun!!

One of my favorites is yellow label by Wolf Blass, Australia. Red and a little on the rough side. Runs about 18$ Canadian a bottle here in QC.

André
02-28-2007, 08:17 PM
What's your favorite wine??? Tell us about it! How much??? How often? No beer drinking red necks allowed!! Okay kidding .... just put down the gun!!

One of my favorites is yellow label by Wolf Blass, Australia. Red and a little on the rough side. Runs about 18$ Canadian a bottle here in QC.
Don't you just love our SAQ? (Québec Alcohol Society)
Bordeaux wines for me but getting to love more and more California wines.Surprisingly good stuff coming from there like Liberty School wines...

pkskier
02-28-2007, 08:24 PM
Love the wines from Chili and Argentina especially the Malbec.

BrianM
02-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Friend just turned me on to Castle Rock Pinot Noir from Santa Barbara, CA The other one I like a lot is the Bogle Old Vine Zinfandel also a California wine. Both are an awsome value at about $12.

06' X-2 R8R H8R
02-28-2007, 08:31 PM
Gotta love California

slalomskifreak
02-28-2007, 08:47 PM
My new favorite is the Andretti Cab. Sells at Sams Club for $10.

When money is not an issue. I will drink Bordeaux. Cheers!

Monte
02-28-2007, 08:50 PM
The Biltmore Estate (NC) Chianti is a good wine. The wife diggs the Pinot Grigio.

east tx skier
02-28-2007, 08:54 PM
We did a winery tour in central Texas a few years ago. Came across a nice 1998 Sangiovese from Texas Hills vinyards. The 1999 was good, too, but not quite the same. We liked it so much, we ordered several cases of it and served it at our wedding. We also got a case for ourselves. Years later and I only have about two left. Good stuff. Roughly $10--$12 per bottle. Nothing fancy, but one of my favorites.

Slinkyredfoot
02-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Ecco Domani, Merlot....a glass or three makes me laugh and carry on like a drunken water skier...

Monte
02-28-2007, 09:03 PM
We did a winery tour in central Texas a few years ago. Came across a nice 1998 Sangiovese from Texas Hills vinyards. The 1999 was good, too, but not quite the same. We liked it so much, we ordered several cases of it and served it at our wedding. We also got a case for ourselves. Years later and I only have about two left. Good stuff. Roughly $10--$12 per bottle. Nothing fancy, but one of my favorites.

Might as well save those for the 25th and 50th. If you ever make it up to NC make sure to check out the Biltmore estate in Asheville.. it is gargantuan.... unreal. The have a very good winery on the premisis. Tour/ tasting/ shop..... Good place to take the Mrs's for the weekend away.. Threadjack over:rolleyes:

east tx skier
02-28-2007, 09:06 PM
Might just do that. And thanks for the tip on Biltmore. Our fifth anniversary is coming up in March and we're spending the night at a B&B/Winery about 20 miles south of here. Don't much care for their wine, but the B&B and restaurant is amazing.

As Texas wines go, I've been advised (and have found) that the Italian varieites seem to work a little better for our climate, soil, etc. than the French varieties do.

slalomskifreak
02-28-2007, 09:12 PM

I totally forgot about that wine. We have also had it. Very good. My favorite tour was the little Spicewood Vineyards winery. Very small but very friendly. They let us drink out of the aging casks in the cellar. On a side note. We will be moving down by that winery very soon. Looking forward to the warmer weather.

Monte
02-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Might just do that. And thanks for the tip on Biltmore. Our fifth anniversary is coming up in March and we're spending the night at a B&B/Winery about 20 miles south of here. Don't much care for their wine, but the B&B and restaurant is amazing.

As Texas wines go, I've been advised (and have found) that the Italian varieites seem to work a little better for our climate, soil, etc. than the French varieties do.

If you ever go, stay at the Grove Park Inn.. It is expensive, but worth it.. We go about twice a year.. Of course it's only 80 miles away.

Leroy
02-28-2007, 09:54 PM
Been to Biltmore house several times and nothing else like that in the US. Great place.

We like the French Fronsac, Bordeauxs, and Languedocs. These wines start being good at 2 years and start getting old at 5 years.

I especially like white Pinot's and Rieslings.

THe ratings give you clues if the wine is good or not.

east tx skier
02-28-2007, 10:25 PM
I totally forgot about that wine. We have also had it. Very good. My favorite tour was the little Spicewood Vineyards winery. Very small but very friendly. They let us drink out of the aging casks in the cellar. On a side note. We will be moving down by that winery very soon. Looking forward to the warmer weather.

Cool. There are several trails in that area. Where are you moving? Johnson City? Fredericksberg?

betsy&david Harrison
02-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Splurge on an OpusOne or just enjoy a Titus Zinfandel. Also try a Frank Family Merlot. These are great, tastey wines! I also like wines from Opolo.

H20skeefreek
03-01-2007, 08:14 AM
I like a good Maneshewits, only the best for communion......lol, j/k.

I'm a big fan of the Biltmore Estates Cab. If any of you Hoosiers get the chance, hit the Thomas Family Winery in Madison Indiana. There are several high quality wineries in Indiana, which really surprised me. I've also been to several winery's in the Napa Valley, which of course all have a great catalog. I prefer Cabs and Merlots. My mother-in-law showed up a few weeks ago, and brought a couple of bottles of Boone's Farm. I laughed for about 10 minutes. She came in and said "I got a great deal on this wine, so I thought I'd bring you some. It cost me less than $3 a bottle, so I got you two!"

Monte
03-01-2007, 08:49 AM
My mother-in-law showed up a few weeks ago, and brought a couple of bottles of Boone's Farm. I laughed for about 10 minutes. She came in and said "I got a great deal on this wine, so I thought I'd bring you some. It cost me less than $3 a bottle, so I got you two!"

You could have added a little ripple, cisco, or MD20/20, and had a big party;) ....... And all for less than the price of a cup of coffee....

sanjuan23
03-01-2007, 09:07 AM
Hell I really enjoy almost all varietals but please leave the kool aid out (white zin.) My favorite for just any occassion is the Reserve Los Vascos Cab ($12-$16). it's a Chilean vineyard that was started from Rothchild vines. A bit on the spicy side for a cab but extremely smooth when allowed to breath for about 30 minutes. If it's a special occasion or we feel like spending a little more give me just about any Cab from Napa 1997,1999,2000,2001 (Especially Clos de Val, or Whitehall Lane). We toured about 10 vineyards last March it was about the best vacation we have taken in a long time. Too bad I wont be drinking too much wine in the coming months.

tones03
03-01-2007, 09:09 AM
My favorite wine is Bud Light. :) not really a wine person, gives me headaches, but I am always up for a "Tour de Franzia"

BIGBADBLUE
03-01-2007, 10:23 AM
For a white we like Chateau St. Jean Chardoneay at around $18. For everyday we like an Austrialian Angus The Bull Cab for about $14. For special occasions we like Caymus, Chateau Montelana and Jordon.

sizzler
03-01-2007, 10:42 AM
the argentinian and chilean malbecs are great........

as for whites i go for a new zealand cloudy bay from the marlborough region on south island

OhioProstar
03-01-2007, 10:51 AM
Far Niente on the high end. Nice wine from Napa.
Wolf Blass Cab is one of my favorites...2001 at $12 you can't beat it.
Finca Flichman is a good Argentinian Malbach around $15
Wild Horse Pinot Noir is pretty tasty
I ran across a NC wine at the Charlotte airport wine bar - Catagory 5

Leroy
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
The great thing about a MadDog 20/20 party is one is enough for a lifetime!

You could have added a little ripple, cisco, or MD20/20, and had a big party;) ....... And all for less than the price of a cup of coffee....

Flatwaterfooter
03-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Whats that stuff they sell in a box, thats the one I like. No cork to mess with, has a handy spout on it.

M-Funf
03-01-2007, 11:37 AM
Wow...Favorite? That's tough. There are so many good ones...

I'll pick two:

Shafer Hillside Select

David Arthur Elevation 1187

The prices would scare you :eek:

ilikeitglacy
03-01-2007, 11:42 AM
i don't remember what CA wine i had last and only time i was in SF but i recall being impressed by the quality and find it sad that our liquor store dont sell'em.

tones03
03-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Whats that stuff they sell in a box, thats the one I like. No cork to mess with, has a handy spout on it.
Franzia, it isnt good, but it isnt messy either, great wine for frat parties

CarlosCabanas
03-01-2007, 12:47 PM
Wow...Favorite? That's tough. There are so many good ones...

I'll pick two:

Shafer Hillside Select

David Arthur Elevation 1187

The prices would scare you :eek:

I've been waiting for you to reply after reading the thread with your wine cellar construction. Ouch they are expensive!!

Carlos

M-Funf
03-01-2007, 01:17 PM
I've been waiting for you to reply after reading the thread with your wine cellar construction. Ouch they are expensive!!

Carlos

;)

It's filling up quickly. We're up over 850 now...Geez, I need to go drink som wine :o

Two more up and coming favorites of ours:

Kapcsandy (fairly new winery. '04 was their first release)

Bevan Cellars (a friend of ours who recently started making wine). He's also the winemaker for Showket, replacing Heidi Barrett.

Monte
03-01-2007, 02:08 PM
Franzia, it isnt good, but it isnt messy either, great wine for frat parties

That reminds me of a buddy in college. Late late night two buddies decide more alcohol is in order but have no $$. They go to a grocery store where the boxed wine is displayed right beside the door. They grab two each and run.. Well excited about the plunder my buddy drank a lot more.. Mind this is the night before final exams. Goes to the final exam at 8am. Starts out fine, then the effects hit him. Spinning began. Every answer turns to A.. Then the stomach bouncer says everybody out.. The way you came in.. Litteraly the poor guy unloads on a girl he has been digging on all semester, his exam, and several others around... He also sat in the back of the class, so he had the ultimate walk of shame to the door.... COVERED....
I laugh my A$$ off every time I think about it...
Sorry for the threadjack

André
03-01-2007, 07:09 PM
i don't remember what CA wine i had last and only time i was in SF but i recall being impressed by the quality and find it sad that our liquor store dont sell'em.
I would be very surprise to learn that something from CA wouldn't be available through the SAQ!:confused:

cbryan70
03-01-2007, 07:12 PM
mad dog 20/20 and night train lol

milkmania
03-01-2007, 07:30 PM
wine is fine, but liquer is quicker http://www.rejectsworld.co.uk/forum/images/smiles/boozedup.gif

mash
03-01-2007, 07:43 PM
When will summer be here??? (want some cheese with that whine)

MarkP
03-01-2007, 07:54 PM
Favorite Wine ???

Daddy, She’s LOOKIN AT ME!!:mad: !!

tex
03-01-2007, 08:24 PM
redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredred! More redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredred redredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredre dredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredredr edredredredredredredredredredredred!

JohnE
03-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Favorite wine - any Chianti. Ruffino especially.

This makes me want to revive the mastercraft owner drink of choice thread, though.

onlyinboards
03-01-2007, 09:12 PM
I second an earlier post about the Castle Rock. My wife and I love Liberty School Cabernet (12 bucks). Mid range I like Cakebread Cellars Cab. Really love the Pinotage from South Africa, wine is excellent there and so cheap. Have a couple bottles of Opus One (2003) for a special occasion and have had 99 Opus on my honeymoon. That is good stuff.

Skibumtx
03-01-2007, 10:35 PM
Luna di Luna has a couple of blended wines from Italy that are excellent. Cool bottles too!

Choose a Chard/Pinot .... Or my favorite Merlot/Cab
http://library.bevnetwork.com/bottles/620/5727.jpg ********************************* http://library.bevnetwork.com/bottles/620/5715.jpg

slalomskifreak
03-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Cool. There are several trails in that area. Where are you moving? Johnson City? Fredericksberg?

Lakeway. Hopefully within the year.

east tx skier
03-02-2007, 10:59 AM
Good for you. Nice area up there. Population density is a little greater than it once was though.

BIGBADBLUE
03-02-2007, 11:38 AM
;)

It's filling up quickly. We're up over 850 now...Geez, I need to go drink som wine :o

Two more up and coming favorites of ours:

Kapcsandy (fairly new winery. '04 was their first release)

Bevan Cellars (a friend of ours who recently started making wine). He's also the winemaker for Showket, replacing Heidi Barrett.

M - Where do you order your wines from? Always looking for new sources.

M-Funf
03-02-2007, 12:00 PM

BBB - We buy almost everything direct from the wineries. When it's ready to pick up, we just drive out to pick it up...

On occasion, I buy wine on winebid.com or magnumwines.com (wine auctions), but there's more risk...

We also have a very good wine shop locally that sells some good wines at fair prices called Bottle Barn (http://www.bottlebarn.com/index.html). If you have something particular you're looking for, just give them a call...

dapicatti
03-03-2007, 01:58 PM
We are surrounded by wineries- used to be 30 now there are over 200 here in Washington. It's hard to pick a favorite, but I love the Hogue Genesis Syrah-- approx $17.

betsy&david Harrison
03-03-2007, 09:38 PM

Try jlorh.com they make good wine too

Jet
03-05-2007, 08:48 PM
Anything red, mostly Australian Shiraz these days as they are more affordable than French or Californian wines.

Examples: Fine wines from Mamre brook, or Coonwarra, you can also try the Cabernet Sauvignon from the Greg Norman estate.

Also appreciate Liberty School, the Cabernet Sauvignon and italian wines from Toscana as well as Amarone.

mitch
03-05-2007, 09:50 PM
Norman has a nice cab/merlot blend and I'll 2nd the Jlohr too Missaseau(sp) from CA is also very good for reds

jaysus
03-05-2007, 09:59 PM
Toasted Head, cabernet.

One bottle of that speaks for itself.