PDA

View Full Version : Battery Review

JKTX21
02-28-2007, 02:52 PM
Who makes the best battery out there? What do you guys have?

I bought some rinky dink Wal-Mart battery last season, and want to put a good one in the boat and forget about it this year. Also, what size goes in a 95-97 PS 190 (my boat is in storage)?

erkoehler
02-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Optima, Blue Top

KnoxX2
02-28-2007, 03:07 PM
Any Optima is good.

What are the diffrence between the Blue Yellow and Red?

JKTX21
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
I was afraid someone was going to say that. If I buy an Optima, can I run a one battery setup for my stereo? I am going to install tower speakers and approx. 800W amp. the future.

School Skier
02-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Interstate make a good cranking battery for starting our 1997 MC 190. I think the higher cranking power is better. I have had problems with 2 Interstate deep cycle batteries for my fising boat. I may have get an optima battery and try it out. Both Interstate and Optima are made by Johnson Control.

bigmac
02-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Any Optima is good.
I think the Optimas are good batteries, but overrated and definitely overpriced. Personally, I go down to Fleet Farm and buy the marine battery with the highest cranking amps and the best price. IMHO, it you care for any battery (mainly, never let it get below 50% charge) it will last just fine for many years. I'd rather replace a $60 Interstate battery every 4-5 years than an Optima Blue.

east tx skier
02-28-2007, 03:17 PM
Delco Marine Battery
Upon the recommendation of my local auto mechanic, who is also a boat owner, I purchased a Delco Marine battery for my boat mid season 2004. Only recently did I ever bother to charge it over the winter months---that is, until this winter, I only unhooked the negative cable and left it in the boat. It has been extremely reliable as I take it into its fourth season this year and I expect to get plenty of more use from it. All that, and at under $70 when purchased, it is much less expensive than the optima batteries. It will not be my last Delco Marine battery.

Jesus_Freak
02-28-2007, 03:47 PM
I have heard good things from local boat mechanics about Interstate. I would suggest NOT purchasing a diehard marine battery. When I bought my used PS205, it came with a walmart special that seems to be just fine (for now).

bigmac
02-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Delco Marine Batteries aren't any more functional than any other lead-acid battery on the market. However, there is a good reason to buy AC Delco batteries and that's the fact that they are almost completely recyclable - pretty much more so than any other battery.

Functionality as a cranking battery aside (Delco is probably as good as any other battery), recycling is something to consider. Lead-acid batteries are among the most recycled consumer products there are, primarily because only about a third of all such batteries will last 48 months. Like a lot of other 'green' enterprises, you'll pay more for that recyclability, more than you'd pay for a similar Interstate, for example.

chudson
02-28-2007, 04:30 PM
Delco Marine Batteries aren't any more functional than any other lead-acid battery on the market. However, there is a good reason to buy AC Delco batteries and that's the fact that they are almost completely recyclable - pretty much more so than any other battery.

Functionality as a cranking battery aside (Delco is probably as good as any other battery), recycling is something to consider. Lead-acid batteries are among the most recycled consumer products there are, primarily because only about a third of all such batteries will last 48 months. Like a lot of other 'green' enterprises, you'll pay more for that recyclability, more than you'd pay for a similar Interstate, for example.

Good information to have, Thanks!!!

east tx skier
02-28-2007, 04:48 PM

I don't doubt that they are no more or less functional than any other marine lead acid battery. That said, the one I have has outlasted at least two of the walmart L/A batteries my father in law has had in his boat. When the time comes, I'll buy another one.

bigmac
02-28-2007, 05:27 PM
I don't doubt that they are no more or less functional than any other marine lead acid battery. That said, the one I have has outlasted at least two of the walmart L/A batteries my father in law has had in his boat. When the time comes, I'll buy another one.

You'll not only have a good (albeit expensive) battery, but Al Gore will write you a personal thank you note.

east tx skier
02-28-2007, 05:35 PM
You'll not only have a good (albeit expensive) battery, but Al Gore will write you a personal thank you note.

I think I paid $67 in 2004. Didn't strike me as terribly expensive though. :confused:

Kevin 89MC
03-01-2007, 09:45 AM
I bought a Costco (Kirkland) regular automotive battery last spring (or was it 2 years ago??) and it's been doing great. Got the biggest one I could fit in the battery space. Granted it doesn't get used much, and I rarely use the cheap radio, but for ~$45, it works great for me. I keep it charged & in the basement all winter, too.
Good luck,
Kevin

Leroy
03-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Look at the specs, I also find the common battery (not even marine for me) is good enough if with a little care.

Jesus_Freak
03-04-2007, 01:59 AM
...but Al Gore will write you a personal thank you note.

......:noface:.......

BriEOD
03-04-2007, 11:28 AM
I have an Optima Blue Top.

erkoehler
03-04-2007, 11:54 AM
At Chicago MasterCraft, all new boats get Marine Interstate batteries, unless the owner upgrades to Optima Blue Top.

TX.X-30 fan
03-04-2007, 11:54 AM
You'll not only have a good (albeit expensive) battery, but Al Gore will write you a personal thank you note..

Not to thread-jack but since you brought up Mr Gore, Does anyone know where I can purchase my Carbon offset Credits for this boating season. :D :D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
03-04-2007, 12:34 PM
I use an Interstate Marine Cranking battery. Works really well. I take it out and store it in my garage(not on the concret floor) and charge it periodically with a trickle charger.

03-04-2007, 12:42 PM
SO whats the deal with these Optima blue top batteries? I am not familiar with them. Are they expensive? are they good? or is it hogwash?

TRBenj
03-04-2007, 02:24 PM
SO whats the deal with these Optima blue top batteries? I am not familiar with them. Are they expensive? are they good?

Yes to both. Ive seen very few bad reviews of optima batteries, and many people swear by them. There are 2 blue tops that are considered dual purpose. Both the D34M and D31M are deep cycle batteries that have enough CCA to function well as starting batteries. Id love to pick up a D34M (the smaller and cheaper of the 2), but I cant find one locally any cheaper than $170-180.

bigmac
03-04-2007, 04:50 PM
SO whats the deal with these Optima blue top batteries? I am not familiar with them. Are they expensive? are they good? or is it hogwash? If you have a lot of high-current draw devices attached, such as big stereo/amp and tower lights, then an Optima Blue (or two in a dual-battery setup) might be a reasonable investment because of their capacity with still enough cranking amps (low enough internal resistance) to function as a starting battery. I rarely use my stereo and basically only need my battery to start my boat, so an Optima Blue would be a total waste of money.

H20skeefreek
03-04-2007, 06:19 PM
There is NOTHING special about an optima battery AT ALL they are AGM chemistry (do the research) which are great, but REALLY heavey and REALLY EXPENSIVE. The spiral core technolagy is REALLY old, circa 1904. You are wasting TONS of money by buying Optimas. By the way, there are only 3 mfts of batteries in the US, and there is no difference between marine and automotive.

UMP, the concrete thing doesn't apply to current batteries, the cases are enough to protect them.

bigmac
03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
I use an Interstate Marine Cranking battery. Works really well. I take it out and store it in my garage(not on the concret floor) and charge it periodically with a trickle charger.

Yes, the concrete thing is an old wive's tale - doesn't apply to modern batteries.

Trickle chargers can still overcharge the battery - that's almost as hard on a battery as excessively discharging them.

The reason to disconnect a battery when the boat's not in use is because of parasitic drain - small shorts in the circuitry, or maintenance items like the stereo to keep its station memory and settings intact. Over the course of a winter it can deplete the battery dead. If you just hook the thing up to a float charger when you put the boat away for the Michigan winter, there's no reason to disconnect, certainly no reason to remove the battery.

TX.X-30 fan
03-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I only know from my personal experience. I have two kinetik agm batteries that run my stereo system, 2500amp/hr system. Last weekend I had the boat in our driveway for 5 hrs. we listened to tunes while working on the boat for 4+ hrs. I am not an expert, but all batteries are not the same IMHO.

bigmac
03-04-2007, 09:37 PM
I only know from my personal experience. I have two kinetik agm batteries that run my stereo system, 2500amp/hr system. Last weekend I had the boat in our driveway for 5 hrs. we listened to tunes while working on the boat for 4+ hrs. I am not an expert, but all batteries are not the same IMHO.

That's what...about $700 worth of batteries? Makes Optima Blue look like a Consumer Reports Best Buy.;)

H20skeefreek
03-04-2007, 10:15 PM
2500ah? No way man. That'd be 33 Optima Blue tops in size 31. You might wanna check out your calculations.

bigmac
03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
2500ah? No way man. That'd be 33 Optima Blue tops in size 31. You might wanna check out your calculations.

I think he means 2500 amps.

TX.X-30 fan
03-05-2007, 12:25 AM
[QUOTE=bigmac]That's what...about $700 worth of batteries? Makes Optima Blue look like a Consumer Reports Best Buy.;)[/QUOTY

Yes sir................ thanks for pointing out what my wife already knows. 8p

03-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Good to know about that Optima. I will stick with my Interstate Marine batt. I dont have any auxillary power drains on my boat. just the standard gauges, and a CD player. I dont listen to the CD that much. sometimes when we take a break I will turn the tunes on for a while. but its not in danger of draining the battery. so thats all. NO depth finder, no marine radio, no GPS, no external amps, no radar.....oh yea, and no fish finder or trolling motor8p

Monte
03-05-2007, 09:38 AM
no fish finder or trolling motor8p

UMP you are behind the times... I thought all MC owners had added trolling motors and fish finders......:confused:

Optima for me, just can't get past the reliability of mine..

TX.X-30 fan
03-05-2007, 12:10 PM
I think he means 2500 amps.

That would be correct for the amps. Sorry, the current draw is between 175 & 225 depending on the output levels. I guess beer really doesnt make one smarter. 8p

03-05-2007, 12:25 PM
UMP you are behind the times... I thought all MC owners had added trolling motors and fish finders......:confused:

Optima for me, just can't get past the reliability of mine..
Oh gosh, we are so behind the current technology up here, we are still trying to get battery powered heated toilet seats for our outhouses, apparently nobody makes them......:confused: That vinyl seat is COLD on the keister in winter!

So the Optima battery technology is that old hey......what did Nikola Tesla come up with that or what??:confused:

H20skeefreek
03-05-2007, 01:32 PM
That'd still be crazy, it'd have to be watts. 2500 amps would run down an optima blue top in .03hours

rcnjson
03-05-2007, 02:04 PM
My boat has a traditional Interstate battery, doesn't give me trouble. I did put an Optima red top in my mustang though. They are a little easier on you in tech inspections when you have the sealed batteries. Optima and Dynabat's are popular. I believe the cells are sealed which would prevent spilling and the gases that a lead cell battery produces. So with the optima, you can put the battery in the trunk (for better weight distribution) and not have to worry about venting the battery box. Just my $.02
k

rcnjson
03-05-2007, 02:08 PM
I think you can see it peaking through the battery box.
k

TX.X-30 fan
03-05-2007, 02:13 PM
That'd still be crazy, it'd have to be watts. 2500 amps would run down an optima blue top in .03hours

Watts :headbang:

chevy08bud
03-06-2007, 03:14 PM
Red Top- Basic automotive replacement battery. Good CCA and CA, completely sealed, so you can mount any way you want.

Yellow Top- Automotive Deep Cycle battery. Very good CCA and CA. I have personally put one in a boat with a decent stereo and it is great. Being a deep cycle helps if you constantly like to run a big stereo without running the engine. Also completely sealed.

Blue Top- Marine Deep Cycle battery. Not as high CCA and CA as the yellow, but in boating weather would be plenty. Same as other two, completely sealed, so you don't ever have to worry about it spilling acid all over everything.

First post, take it as you will!

03-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Welcome to the board Chevy08bud. :) Whatch out for Maristar Steve, Hoosier Bob, and TMCno1, those boys is bad influences!;)

Monte
03-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Oh gosh, we are so behind the current technology up here, we are still trying to get battery powered heated toilet seats for our outhouses, apparently nobody makes them......:confused: That vinyl seat is COLD on the keister in winter!

So the Optima battery technology is that old hey......what did Nikola Tesla come up with that or what??:confused:

Looks like you have found your opportunity to make your first million. build it and they will sit.........;)

Tesla invented about as much stuff as Al Gore did.....:rolleyes:

03-07-2007, 10:06 AM
Tesla invented about as much stuff as Al Gore did.....:rolleyes:
I hope that was said with sarcasm....:cool:

Monte
03-07-2007, 10:10 AM
I hope that was said with sarcasm....:cool:

At it's finest.....;) :D

TMCNo1
03-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Welcome to the board Chevy08bud. :) Whatch out for Maristar Steve, Hoosier Bob, and TMCno1, those boys is bad influences!;)

Yea, but what we got,

03-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Yea, but what we got,
Really? whats that?;)

chevy08bud
03-07-2007, 08:22 PM

Thanks for the welcome and warning, hope the batt descriptions made things not so foggy.

wesgardner
03-20-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.rollsbattery.com/

These guys pre-date the Optima technology, but were always a solid bet...