PDA

View Full Version : Vacation Spots

OhioProstar
01-13-2005, 03:18 PM
Alright folks, my wife and I are starting to plan for a March/April vacation to the Caribbean. We are thinking Aruba or Jamaica. Has anyone visited either of those or other nice locales? Really the price doesn't matter as I fly constiently for work and should be able to spend all the funds on the hotel and excursions. We are looking for sandy beaches, good food/drinks, and gorgeous scenery.

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 03:21 PM
Antigua is pretty amazing. We were staying at a private club through my step father though, so I don't about the rest of the island.

OhioProstar
01-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Thanks Doug, Nice Avatar.

latch
01-13-2005, 03:49 PM
Check out Sandal's Dunns River in Jamaica
Went there last April and had the time of our life
Have been to Jamaica on three different occasions
Love the island and the people
Will probably go to St Lucia this year, just for a change of scenery

Anyone been to St Lucia

JEREMY79
01-13-2005, 04:25 PM
but has anyone been to Cancun. My fiancè and I are going there for our "honeymoon" (a.k.a- beer drinkin' for a week) just wanted to know if anyone has been there

sorry for the stealing the tread again

Footin
01-13-2005, 04:28 PM
My wife and I went to Cancun on our honeymoon 10 years ago.
Stayed at the Royal Solaris Hotel, it was one of those all inclusive deal. Had a great time and the hotel was great; however the food was just fair.

G-man
01-13-2005, 04:45 PM
www.occidentialhoteles.com a chain of all inclusive hotels thoughout mexico. Going to the Cozumel one tomarrow morning.

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 04:58 PM
Have fun, George! :friday:

G-man
01-13-2005, 05:06 PM
This should be a blast, going with a dive group including my 19 year old son for his first dives in blue water, also the first place where he is old enough to drink beer.

east tx skier
01-13-2005, 05:18 PM
Then, allow me to iterate ... :friday:

rodltg2
01-13-2005, 05:21 PM
all inclusive will always have average food and drink and makes you feel obligated to always eat at the hotel. in cancun i would prefer not to do all inclusive since there are so many good restaurants to try. if you dont plan on leaving the hotel much ,inclusive is easy and a good way to go.

dmac
01-13-2005, 05:30 PM
Check out Sandal's Dunns River in Jamaica
Went there last April and had the time of our life
Have been to Jamaica on three different occasions
Love the island and the people
Will probably go to St Lucia this year, just for a change of scenery

Anyone been to St Lucia
We did St Lucia in 2000, it was excellent. It is a long trip but worth it once you get there.

tpttool
01-13-2005, 05:31 PM
wish i could affords me a vacation, maybe after i pay of my camera and gets my new tube i will take some time and go to the caribeen myslef. i can sure use some time off from the tool market. get me some snorkels and stuff like that, drink them fruitty drinks and get all smashed.

dmac
01-13-2005, 05:33 PM
Alright folks, my wife and I are starting to plan for a March/April vacation to the Caribbean. We are thinking Aruba or Jamaica. Has anyone visited either of those or other nice locales? Really the price doesn't matter as I fly constiently for work and should be able to spend all the funds on the hotel and excursions. We are looking for sandy beaches, good food/drinks, and gorgeous scenery.
Our neighbors did Aruba last year and absolutely loved it. They did not stay at one of the name brand hotels which they liked even more. They are talking about going again, perhaps this year.

Jamaica is Ok. We stopped there on a cruise in '02. The stop was at Ocho Rios which allowed us to climb Dunns River Falls. That is a lot of fun.

dmac
01-13-2005, 05:37 PM
The Tool has struck again.

bcampbe7
01-13-2005, 05:47 PM
Went to Negril Jamaica for our honeymoon in 2001. We stayed at Grand Lido resort in Negril. Awesome place and great vacation.
One good thing is you can go right across the street to the Hedonism resort. Talk about some weird sh!t...

BriEOD
01-13-2005, 05:56 PM
If you scuba dive the Cayman's are awesome!

H20skeefreek
01-13-2005, 06:08 PM
We went to Montego Bay Jamaica (sandals resort) for our honeymoon, it was great!

Brent
01-13-2005, 06:54 PM

River Rat
01-13-2005, 07:10 PM
Went to Nigril Jamaica and loved every minute of it, (sandals resort) just sit in the back of the bus on the trip to the other side of the island (or drink allot before the ride).....you don't want to how fast they are driving down those winding roads with cliffs on both sides. Next time I will take the small plane shuttle. Our driver was going 70 to 80 mph most of the trip. :eek3:
There was not enough alcohol in the resort to settle my nerves after that trip. Oh and it’s next door to Hedonism resort. One day we were walking down the beach (in Sandals) and there were 4 ladies sunning topless, they had white suntan lotion on the dark spots of there boobs. This looked so funny me and my wife could not stop laughing. :headbang: :headbang: Great place to go, hoping to go back this year.

atlfootr
01-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Alright folks, my wife and I are thinking Aruba or Jamaica. Has anyone visited either of those or other nice locales? I've been to Jamacia 'man, Ocho Rios in fact! Went to a place called "Couples", really nice. :dance:
Kinda wished I'd gone to Hedonism, Jamaica instead ...

OhioProstar
02-16-2005, 01:23 PM
So I finally got the wife to make a decision and we are spending 10 days in the St. Maarten/Aguilla/St.Barts area. A friend has a RCI timeshare and we were able to get a great deal for a nice resort hotel($400) and then be able to island hop to our hearts content on what we would have spent. Has anyone been to the Lesser Antilles?

Greg250
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
Just wanted to share a couple of my vacation photos from St. Lucia.

Greg250
02-16-2005, 06:29 PM
And another.

MarkP
02-16-2005, 06:57 PM
Well thats no fun. I hope that was the last day.:eek:

Greg250
02-16-2005, 07:11 PM
It was the second day of a weeks vacation. Luckily Hurricane Ivan missed hitting us directly and the the rest of the week was perfect.

MarkP
02-16-2005, 07:17 PM
Now thats the photo's I want to see:toast:

bradamerry
02-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Now thats the photo's I want to see:toast:
Amen to that, glad you guys got to have a good time!

AirJunky
02-16-2005, 07:55 PM
In 1997 we rented a houseboat & skied up Havasu in Arizona for a week. They had a hurricane that year..... blew us away. ;)
Actually it was pretty brief. We tied up the houseboat & went into town & watched a movie. Came back & it was done.

causewayskiier
02-17-2005, 11:21 AM
I like British Virgin Islands, went to Virgin Gorda a few years back, it was nice. I'm not a big fan of Jamaica. Although there are some nice places there, it seems a bit dangerous. The locals do a lot of begging and trying to sell everything including drugs. Also if you are a diver the reefs are not so great there. If you are into diving I would suggest Cozumel (much better reefs than Cancun) or Grand Cayman (great diving but a little pricey).

phecksel
02-17-2005, 11:39 AM
Been to Hedo II twice, and will return again. Grand Lido is very nice, but there's just something about a non-stop party.

Can always go to dennyp.com forums and ask the question there.

RoscoB190
02-17-2005, 12:28 PM
This past January I went to the Dominican Republic and stayed at the Secrets Excellence Resort for my honeymoon. I highly recommend it. The food was excellent (7 restaraunts to choose from), the scenery can't be beat, the rooms were sweet, etc., etc. I was impressed.

stevo137
02-19-2005, 01:03 PM
but has anyone been to Cancun. My fiancè and I are going there for our "honeymoon" (a.k.a- beer drinkin' for a week) just wanted to know if anyone has been there

sorry for the stealing the tread again
Hola Jeremy!
Was there a couple of weeks ago and had a great time during a business meeting.
I am taking my family next week and have decided to stay at the Cancun Palace all inclusive.
From there you can go to and use any of the Palace resorts. We are going to the Moon Palace for a day to go snorkeling. Not as good as Cozumel but was told by locals that it is very good. You can just go right out in front of the resort and see some very nice marine life from what I have been told. If not staying at a Palace you can take the jungle boat tour from Manglar Marina which is where Waterski Cancun is and make sure it is the one that goes to Moon Palace for snorkeling.
Either way, you won't regret going snorkeling.
Manglar Marina is directly across from the Sun Palace. Just ask the bus driver to stop there.
My brother in law has been diving in Cozumel for 10 years and no doubt it would be worth it to take the day trip and snorkel or dive there.
I also went watersking at Waterski Cancun which is directly across from the Sun Palace. You can take the bus there for 6 pasos.
Scott who owns it is very knowledgeable, has two MC 190 ouboards and one Supra wakeboard boat. He can always find some nice water in the lagoon and has a few slalom courses set up. My only concern is that there are salt water crocodiles in the lagoon and I was told that a few people have been killed by them while swimming in the lagoon. How true that is I'm not sure. I skied for about 30 minutes. Your call on that one! (waterskicancun.com)
OBTW, downtown shopping at the malls and flea market are fun but would not advise going late at night. For a good deal at the flea market just walk away or stall and the price goes down about 40-50%!
I got a great deal on some very nice jewelry but watch out there are fakes. And you cannot bring the Cuban cigars back!
Hope you have a great time and congrats Amigo!

JEREMY79
02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
Stevo,
I booked our trip yesterday. We are staying at Moon Palace for eight days!!! All inclusive (hope they got alot of drinks :D ) We are so stoked about going. Snorkeling is on the plans. Gonna do a little divin'. Hope to do a little fishing, and probably ski a little bit, I'll skip the rest of the honeymoon details. Plan to see the Mayan Ruins also. I also read that Moon Palace has some pool tables. Any way I cannot wait until August. :dance: OH and to beat it all my folks paid for it. :) :D