PDA

View Full Version : New Starter?

lassy
02-28-2007, 09:22 AM
So my engine has begun to NOT START lately when I turn the key. The starter clicks and that's it. If I keep at it I can get the starter to engage and it's fine. The question is this:

Can I go to Napa or any other generic parts store and buy a starter? Thanks guys

PeteS
02-28-2007, 09:28 AM
First of all, I'd check out your solinoid switch first.

If it is infact the starter, then I would not reccomend buying an automotive OE replacement. Marine starters have special safegaurds to prevents sparks in the engine compartment, and also better corrosion resistance. Check out www.skidim.com.

Hope that helps.

TRBenj
02-28-2007, 09:34 AM
Petes right- you dont want to use an automotive starter. If you determine its the starter causing the problem, you can have it rebuilt as good as new for much less than a new unit.

The first thing I would check is the battery and battery cables.

lassy
02-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Is the solenoid attached to the starter itself? I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, since it is brand new.

TRBenj
02-28-2007, 10:40 AM
Is the solenoid attached to the starter itself? I'm pretty sure it's not the battery, since it is brand new.

I would tend to think so, unless Indmar used a Ford style 1-wire starter on their Chevy motors. Chevies have classically used the starter with the solenoid built in- but Im not very familiar with their recent set up.

Check the battery terminals and wires for corrosion before you replacing/rebuilding the starter. It also wouldnt hurt to get the battery tested, even if it is brand new.

Ryan
02-28-2007, 10:49 AM
I've had this happen a few times just by having a less than perfectly clean pos battery cable (at the battery) three times or so, and once l had to clean the ground cable that bolts into the block. Never did they look very corroded at all, but out of desperation to ski, I'd give them a quick scrubbing with a wire brush and the boat would run like a top.

lassy
02-28-2007, 12:25 PM
hmmm..........next time i get to the boat, i'll try to clean all connections. i'll put a fresh charge on the battery and see if anything changes.

JKTX21
02-28-2007, 01:29 PM
Def. do that first Lassy. I had the same problem in my truck once, and the bonehead checking the batter said it was okay. So I pulled the starter and changed the solenoid (which can be done on a starter for a 94 350). I think later model Ford starters, the solenoids are hard to find for replacement.

It ended up being the battery was just bad, and I cleaned the connections as well. I could hear the solenoid clicking in my boat last weekend as a matter of fact, and of course the battery is dead.

lassy
02-28-2007, 03:54 PM
hmm.....well i guess i figured the battery wasn't the problem since it was new...but i've been wrong many times before.

JKTX21
02-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Oh sorry, I didn't read that part! Probably something else in your charging and starting system. I have never been sold a bad battery, but I've been sold a bad alternator before. Keep us posted.

chudson
02-28-2007, 04:02 PM
First of all, I'd check out your solinoid switch first.

If it is infact the starter, then I would not reccomend buying an automotive OE replacement. Marine starters have special safegaurds to prevents sparks in the engine compartment, and also better corrosion resistance. Check out www.skidim.com.

Hope that helps.

Ditto^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The folks at skidim are really nice people!!!

shepherd
02-28-2007, 04:05 PM
On my 1990 Indmar, the solenoid is separate from the starter. I had to replace it last fall and was able to find one at the auto parts store fairly cheaply. That said, I agree that you should only go marine if you replace your starter.

P-hat_in_Cincy
02-28-2007, 04:17 PM
hmm.....well i guess i figured the battery wasn't the problem since it was new...but i've been wrong many times before.

You sure it's not your new ballast system pulling the power down in the battery!?! 8p

Seriously tho, I always run my engine when filling/emptying. I even have to bump the RPM up a bit because 4 simers running at once will pull the system down in a heartbeat.

lassy
02-28-2007, 06:06 PM
the solenoid clicks even when there is no other extra electrical devices being powered. usually once the starter finally engages....it doesn't do it again after turning the engine off and restarting. however, sunday when i had the boat out, i was scaring the folks in the boat with me as i tried starting the boat and all they could hear was a click...click.........click

haha

wakebdr2002
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I had similar situation in my old boat. Starter was going bad. I took it out (simple 2 bolts holding it on) and had it rebuilt at a local electric shop. The had it done in about 1 day and it was good as new for about 1/3rd the cost of a new one.

dh_bennison
03-04-2007, 05:19 PM
Ive had the same problem. The starter was just not engaging properly when it was damp. I got it serviced and all is ok now

WTRSK1R
03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
For what its worth, I have been sold a bad battery. It was for a car, not a boat, but not that different. Started the car great after installing, worked fine for a week or so, then after leaving the car sit over the weekend, it would not start. Charged up the battery and was back in business. About 2 weeks later the same issue. I charged it again, and then the following weekend, I checked the battery voltage on Friday night, and intentionally did not drive the car over the weekend. By Monday morning, the batter was down to about 11.8 volts just sitting there. I took the battery back, and was given a free replacement under warranty, with almost no questions asked. Makes you wonder a bit that they did not think it was strange for the battery to be defective. Again, for what its worth, it was a Sears Diehard. Last one I ever bought.

Steve

Bongo
03-04-2007, 07:04 PM
As has been suggested, check your connections and test the battery.

I had a similar situation about 2 years ago. The culprit in my case was the battery cable itself. It had a molded end. The wire had come seperated enough from the lead clamp that it was no longer a good enough connection to engage the starter, though all other electical parts seemed fine. Cost me about $2.00 for a new end.

I discovered this after swapping batteries and after I could start it with jumper cables between the battery and the starter...

Good luck.

Bongo

JKTX21
03-04-2007, 08:50 PM
the solenoid clicks even when there is no other extra electrical devices being powered. usually once the starter finally engages....it doesn't do it again after turning the engine off and restarting. however, sunday when i had the boat out, i was scaring the folks in the boat with me as i tried starting the boat and all they could hear was a click...click.........click

haha

Did you ever figure out the problem Lassy?

lassy
03-13-2007, 12:01 PM
nope, i haven't tracked down the culprit yet. it did it all weekend and yesterday. i decided i'd just keep the boat on in between sets, instead of scaring everyone with me (and myself) if i shut it off and had to restart on the water with the starter clicking repeatedly instead of starting.

i put a rapid charge on the battery, each day before riding...i need to remove the battery connections and reattach them after cleaning the m thoroughly. reconnecting the ends may help...who knows.

wesgardner
03-13-2007, 01:20 PM
Dunno where you are in your quest for electrical perfection but...first have your starter checked and/or rebuilt - $100, then make sure all the wiring is good - the wire from the "S" terminal on the key switch must be good - I replaced mine with 10 gauge (my boat always starts now) - a solenoid is about $15 and takes about 15 minutes to change out...if you are going thru solenoids you should have a look at that "S" terminal wire...also you need to have all the mating surfaces where the starter bolts up to the bell housing fairly clean so the negative side of the electrical equation can work....I'm a real proponent for having the "S" wire in perfect shape as mine had me pulling all kinds of things before I discovered that looks are VERY deceiving - my wire LOOKED good but was not...I've pretty much replaced my entire starting "loop"...BTW, you can "jump out" the solenoid in an "emergency" with a big screwdriver - you'll get sparking and it'll scare you the first couple of times...

Hunterb
03-13-2007, 02:57 PM
This is almost certainly the solenoid. If it clicks but doesn't engage when you turn the key, and will do that several times, and then it will engage and start normally it is very unlikely that it is the battery or the connections. Does the starter have a built in solenoid? If it does then the problem is likely the two copper L shaped contacts that are in the top of the solenoid. They can usually be purchased for less than $10.00. What happens is the two contacts wear unevenly and then will start to fail occassionally. By turning the key off and back on it will attempt to make the connection again, and it might, in which case the starter will engage normally. If the connection doesn't happen it will simply 'click' again which is the sound of the solenoid 'plunger' (have no idea of the technical term) hitting the top of its travel. If that's the case then you do not need a new starter, you just need to replace the copper L shaped contacts and you will be good to go. If you don't replace them you will eventually find yourself stuck somewhere for sure.

This is very common in the gear reduction type starter motor. Is that what you have in your boat?

If you have an external solenoid then follow the advice given by the people who responded earlier and I'm sure that will fix it up.

Good luck.

Bruce

lassy
03-13-2007, 05:42 PM
hey hunterb.....this sounds right on the money.

i'll check those connections as soon as i can make it back to the marina

maximus
03-16-2007, 04:09 AM
I have a prostar 190 from the year 2000. I also am having starter problems. What is the model number of the starter Im supposed to use someone has put an fried auto starter in my boat without a number
gm 350 Motor

wesgardner
03-19-2007, 11:00 AM
skiDIM will be able to give you that info and supply you with a starter - very good folks there...

lassy
03-19-2007, 12:18 PM
i went out to the boat saturday to play with the starter. it looks like the solenoid is on top of the starter..for my engine. i disconnected the + and - connections to the solenoid. I cleaned them good and sprayed some protective spray on them. I also reconnected the battery terminals. Unfortunately....the boat didn't act any differently than before.

Any suggestions now?

Footin
03-19-2007, 12:35 PM
I don't know if you have tried this yet:

Take the starter off and clean the face of the starter were it bolts to the block, also clean the block.

I had a friend that had starting problems with a tractor and this solved it.

lassy
03-19-2007, 01:54 PM
i tried tapping it......that worked on a big fairway mower i was on at the golf course one time....but no luck here.

Hunterb
03-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Lassy,

If the solonoid is on top of the starter then it is quite possible that the problem is what I mentioned earlier, the two copper L shaped washers that are inside the solenoid. Tapping it will sometimes make them engage as it shakes them a bit. To fix it you need to remove the starter and dismantle the solenoid. If you haven't done it before you may need to find someone that is familiar with starters to help you out. It's not that hard but it does require taking the starter apart. I highly recommend you explore this before you buy a new starter, which will fix your problem, but will cost a lot more money. If you are able to make the starter work by cycling the key a few times then it is not the battery or the connections, it is the solenoid. I've changed a ton of those washers and it fixes the 'click, no start; click, no start; click no start then turn the key and it engages and spins normally problem every time. You will get stranded if you don't fix it as one day the connection just won't happen no matter how many times you cycle the key. I hope this is your problem anyway as it's cheap to fix. I'm not sure what starter you have in your boat but if the solenoid is on top then I would definitely check this out before I bought a new one.

Good luck with this. If I was closer I'd give you a hand with it.

Bruce

lassy
03-19-2007, 05:45 PM
ok...sounds like i'll try and take off the starter tonight then. i'm all about learning something new.

thanks again...i'll let you know how it turns out

lassy
03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
so yeah..i pulled the starter off and took it apart to find this
do you guys think this is salvageable? i was thinking...i'll just clean it really good with our parts washer at work....air it out..lube it up again...and give it a shot.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/DSCN1817.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/DSCN1819.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r234/ericlassiterspics/1999%20Mastercraft%20X-Star/DSCN1820.jpg

lassy
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
i have to add this........i just got the boat back in the fall......so this is not from my neglect. it looks like it was submersed or something??? DAMN

cst573
03-19-2007, 09:44 PM
For peace of mind, I would replace it.

Slinkyredfoot
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Write the check for a new one and move on....

Leroy
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I'll say it's worth a shot if you do not see anything excessively worn. Make sure you understand why it would click many times before engaging.

lassy
03-20-2007, 01:25 AM
the only thing i can figure is that all that gunk was disabling the main motor from spinning once the solenoid was engaged....????

JKTX21
03-20-2007, 01:41 AM
That thing looks pretty pathetic. I bet it would work if you cleaned it and put it back together, but I'd probably just replace it and forget about it.

Hunterb
03-20-2007, 01:44 PM
Oh my, that doesn't look too good. It's actually amazing it worked at all. That also doesn't look like a starter with a built in solenoid. I realized yesterday that I was having a hard time articulating what I was trying to say about the possible problem so I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.sherco-auto.com/contacts.htm#startersolenoidcontacts

It has pictures of what I was trying to explain.

Good luck with that starter !!

Bruce

wesgardner
03-20-2007, 01:50 PM
Here's my starter with removable solenoid (the solenoid is the kinda gold thing) - I can change it out in about 5 minutes - you can use an automobile solenoid at a cost of $15. IF THIS continues you'll want to replace the wire from the "S" terminal of your key switch (in this pic it's the yellow wire with the blue crimp connector, I've not changed it out yet.... it is now a 10 gauge wire) - the reason is the solenoid NEEDS good voltage via that wire otherwise it'll mis-behave by arcing and sparking and the plunger will get garfed up after a few starts and you'll be back where you are now.

You may want to put a volt meter on that "S" wire while keying the switch and see what it reads...

lassy
03-20-2007, 01:58 PM
well....i no longer have a chocolate dipped starter

it's all clean...now...what do i need to grease?

the solenoid is separate, but i can't get it apart. it's all housed in a rolled casing.

wesgardner
03-20-2007, 02:02 PM
I think the pinion gear that contacts the flywheel can be greased but other than that, bolt 'er up making sure all your connections are good - MAKE SURE you get good voltage or you'll eat solenoids - I went thru a couple before I discovered my "S" terminal wiring problem...do a TEST...

I agree, after looking at your disassembled pics (I missed them for some reason otherwise I would have just recommended a rebuild/replace right off the bat), I'm surprised the thing worked at all!

lassy
03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
well.......i bolted it back up this afternoon and................

no go

i'm going to take it my a starter shop tomorrow and see if they can rebuild it for me...fast hopefully

lassy
03-21-2007, 03:19 PM
well...the problem was with the solenoid. i swapped solenoids and hopefully will bolt it back up this afternoon.

thanks for all the help!!