PDA

View Full Version : Gotta Love the Teak

BrianM
02-27-2007, 04:14 PM
Just finished up my platform using the TMCno1 method. I think I ended up with six coats of oil. It looked pretty good to start with but had a season of wear and tear. Looks and feels like a piece of furniture now. Trying to decide whether to put a final coat of Johnson Wax on it. Howard?

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
It's that time of year for sure. Added one coat of oil to mine that I did a full refurb on last year and it looks good as new.

bigmac
02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Just finished up my platform using the TMCno1 method. I think I ended up with six coats of oil. It looked pretty good to start with but had a season of wear and tear. Looks and feels like a piece of furniture now. Trying to decide whether to put a final coat of Johnson Wax on it. Howard?

Howard says..."It looks nice, but I think it would look even better with a coat of polyester resin followed by some yellow gelcoat...."

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 04:21 PM
Until you see what gel coat costs comapred to teak oil. I don't need any other gel coated pieces on my boat to worry about. The teak platform is the only part of the boat I only have to worry about once a year.

ProTour X9
02-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Great looking platform!, we followed the directions on the Star Brite containers though.
Why doesn't everybody post their teak pics here?

shepherd
02-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Very nice job. Looks like a fine piece of furniture now. Don't get it wet!

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Why doesn't everybody post their teak pics here?

I'd say because we've done it somewhere else. But the truth is, why not. This is from last year, but it looks like this again now.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-8.jpg

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/dnortonames/attachment-7.jpg

sanjuan23
02-27-2007, 04:44 PM
ETS, am I crazy or did you do that transom saver yourself?? Did you keep the dimensions or template if so? Now that I have some room in the garage for a couple of weeks this is on the to do list!

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 04:50 PM
ETS, am I crazy or did you do that transom saver yourself?? Did you keep the dimensions or template if so? Now that I have some room in the garage for a couple of weeks this is on the to do list!

It was a gift from G-Man. I had to cut it to length, but the contour was perfect on arrival.

It curves to follow the line of the transom, so dimensions may be a little tough. Basically, just make a pattern of your slat that is nearest the transom and trace it onto a piece of teak (the transom saver is a little narrower than that slat). Cut the teak with a jigsaw and bevel the edges with a sander. Sand and Oil the platform and transom saver really well and let it dry. Then, get some composite decking screws that are just the right length (you'll need two lengths depending on where you're drilling). Clamp the transom saver onto the platform and drill some pilot holes. Then sink the decking screws from the bottom and you'll have a nice, seemless install.

G-man
02-27-2007, 05:09 PM
that is factory transom saver on easties boat. I doubt they are avalable from MC but you can buy teak wood and cut your own.

TMCNo1
02-27-2007, 07:38 PM
Call Teak World in Lebenon, TN, 1-615-444-7269 talk to Tommy, they have or had the patterns for the MC optional transom savers and can probably make one for you and ship it to you.