PDA

View Full Version : Snowblower Fix

Willski
02-27-2007, 04:08 PM
My father in law is trying to give me a snowblower (Toro 3HP Powerlite E) that someone put regular gas in. He thinks it is siezed. Is it worth taking a look at or is it not worth the trouble?? New engine cheaper than a new snowblower? Thought someone here might know.

Maristar210
02-27-2007, 04:17 PM
My father in law is trying to give me a snowblower (Toro 3HP Powerlite E) that someone put regular gas in. He thinks it is siezed. Is it worth taking a look at or is it not worth the trouble?? New engine cheaper than a new snowblower? Thought someone here might know.

I might know a thing or 200 about this stuff.

Questions
Does motor turn over while pulling the pull start or is it locked in place?
It can be fixed in either case but probably needs a new cylinder, piston, rod, rings, seals and bearings. I would look on e-bay for these parts and then make your decision based upon what they might cost. They are easy to work on. Let us know what you find out.

Steve

Maristar210
02-27-2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=toro_consumer&mn=38176%2C+CCR+Powerlite+Snowthrower%2C+1993+%28S N+3900001-3999999%29&dn=3315_677-5_677008-0007

If you go to this site it looks like $100-$150 for the parts. If you were in the area I would fix it for you for nothing.

Steve

Willski
02-27-2007, 04:41 PM
I took a look at it the other day. You can't pull the cord, so I think it is locked up. (unless the cord is wrapped up!) It might be worth it. It's probably only been used 10 times.

#47of100TeamMC
02-27-2007, 04:48 PM
Willski, If you get good at that one... I've got a blower you can look at to fix too! It's an MTD. Real puzzler. I've got good spark, Carb is Clean, Plenty of Compression, New Plug. But still no start.

TMCNo1
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Are we to assume it is a 2 cycle engine and regular gas was placed in it instead of regular gas mixed with oil?

87 TriStar 190
02-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Willski, put gas in it.

Willski
02-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Are we to assume it is a 2 cycle engine and regular gas was placed in it instead of regular gas mixed with oil?

That's the story I'm getting. I saw it the other day, and tried to pull the cord, but that's all I know.

jmac197
02-27-2007, 05:17 PM
If it's a 2 cycle, pull the spark plug and fill the cylinder with fuel oil and let it sit. The fuel oil may loosen up the rings. Put a wooden rod down the plug hole and wack it with a hammer. If the piston frees up empty the fuel oil out of the cylinder and put the plug back in and see if it fires up!

The engine may already be shot, what do you have to loose? We used to do that to old chevy motors and they would run for a while longer. High school kids don't have a lot of money, but they do have a lot of spare time!!

Willski
02-27-2007, 05:26 PM
Worth a shot. I have to get it from him and take a closer look at it. For all I know the pull cord is hung up somewhere!! I don't think I'm that lucky though. The thing looks great otherwise, so it may be worth a little time. Don't have anything invested in it yet.

Maristar210
02-27-2007, 07:22 PM
Willski, If you get good at that one... I've got a blower you can look at to fix too! It's an MTD. Real puzzler. I've got good spark, Carb is Clean, Plenty of Compression, New Plug. But still no start.

Hmmmm....

tried a little fuel doen the spark plug hole with tht new plug?

Workin' 4 Toys
03-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Worth a shot. I have to get it from him and take a closer look at it. For all I know the pull cord is hung up somewhere!! I don't think I'm that lucky though. The thing looks great otherwise, so it may be worth a little time. Don't have anything invested in it yet.
What's the latest? Did you add some fuel down the cylinder? Or some marvel mystery oil? And then give it a pull?

Willski
03-14-2007, 11:29 AM
I haven't had a chance to go get it yet. Hasn't been a priority since it was 70 degrees the last few days!! I might try to pick it up this weekend and mess with it.

Willski
05-29-2007, 12:49 PM
I finally got this snowblower home. (Actually in the back of my truck). Nothing to report yet though. I need to try to rotate the shaft and confirm that it is siezed first.

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I finally got this snowblower home. (Actually in the back of my truck). Nothing to report yet though. I need to try to rotate the shaft and confirm that it is siezed first.

You really need to get it figured out and repaired, before the snow melts!:D

Upper Michigan Prostar190
05-29-2007, 01:28 PM
You mentioned that he was "trying" to give you this snowblower. How does one "TRY" to give something away?? Do, or do not, there is no try. When I give something away, I just drive it to their house and leave it in their front lawn. I did that just last week. I had an old couch I wasnt using, so I drove around and found a nice home for it and left it there. I dont know whether or not the people that live there were looking for an old beat up chouch, but hey, I am nice that way, so I gave it to them. :) Did the same thing with my old gas grill. found a new home for it. I gave it away, I mean hey the house I dropped it at only had 2 grills, so I am sure they needed a 3rd one that didnt work. :o

TMCNo1
05-29-2007, 01:45 PM
You mentioned that he was "trying" to give you this snowblower. How does one "TRY" to give something away?? Do, or do not, there is no try. When I give something away, I just drive it to their house and leave it in their front lawn. I did that just last week. I had an old couch I wasnt using, so I drove around and found a nice home for it and left it there. I dont know whether or not the people that live there were looking for an old beat up chouch, but hey, I am nice that way, so I gave it to them. :) Did the same thing with my old gas grill. found a new home for it. I gave it away, I mean hey the house I dropped it at only had 2 grills, so I am sure they needed a 3rd one that didnt work. :o

And all you had to do was put a "For Sale, $100" on it on a sign and put it in your front yard! Next day it WILL be gone!:rolleyes: :D
With the price of gas today, why deliver!

Ben
05-29-2007, 01:50 PM
FWIW, I have a powerlite CCR that was given to me a while back. If your repair parts look like they will be >$50, I'd save the $$ and find a used 5HP blower in good shape for $150-250. The 3HP gets bogged down easily, I have went through a few belts. Definitely not good in wet, heavy snow either. Works ok for light dry snow, but anyting 3" or over, you can only go partial swath. I would guess you can get a good deal of snow in WI, so I'd hold out for something bigger from someone moving out of state or some other reason.

milkmania
05-29-2007, 01:55 PM
too bad it doesn't snow around here:(

Willski
05-29-2007, 02:22 PM

By "try", I meant that he was "trying to get me to come get it". If he delivered like the UMP delivery service you speak of I would have had it long ago. The way it worked out, he was still successful in getting rid of his old junk because I took it off of his hands!

Willski
06-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I have this thing now. Took a look. Not good. There is a chunk missing out of the side of what I would call the block. Looks like something got really hot and chunked out a piece of the casting.

TMCNo1
06-18-2007, 12:50 AM
I have this thing now. Took a look. Not good. There is a chunk missing out of the side of what I would call the block. Looks like something got really hot and chunked out a piece of the casting.

JB Weld and some Super Glue and all will be right with the world!

Willski
06-18-2007, 10:31 AM
JB Weld and some Super Glue and all will be right with the world!

Might be okay if it wasn't also siezed up!

Willski
11-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Interesting update to this. I never got the old one fixed, but I was at a benefit the other day, and they had a live auction. Someone that day had brought a snowblower, so I bid on it and got it for $105. I got it home and it is the same exact model as my broken snowblower and it seems to run fine!! Now I have a working snowblower and parts!!