PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Engine

Spike5
02-27-2007, 11:29 AM
I am going to rebuild my motor and was wondering about replacing the exhaust manifold using a new style from a 2002 would work ?
94 small block 275hp. The newer ones have an indmar with much smoother ports, more like headers. And where to find some.:D

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 12:00 PM
The ETX manifolds should be compatible with your 350 if I recall correctly. What about the heads? Are you staying stock?

TMCNo1
02-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I would contact Mike @MYMC and see if he knows if they are compatable, given his past engine building experience and the fact he can get the manifolds if they will work and at the right price.

Spike5
02-27-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks, How do I contact Mike @MYMC?? Do you have number

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 12:43 PM
www.mymastercraft.com or PM him on this site.

In the meantime, check this thread out.

http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=5684&highlight=exhaust

Also, there is a site that sells the one piece manifolds for the chevys and fords if the ETX won't work. But it is an expensive option.

What about the Vortec heads? That's be some really nice HP.

TRBenj
02-27-2007, 12:49 PM
Also, there is a site that sells the one piece manifolds for the chevys and fords if the ETX won't work. But it is an expensive option.

If youre looking into high performance exhaust manifolds, check out Hi-Tek Marine. (http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/products.htm) Theyre not cheap, but for a small block theyre about equal in cost to the ETX's ($1700) which includes shipping from Australia.

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks, Tim. That was the site I was thinking of, but the name of which I couldn't remember. Saw the link a while back on PN, saw the price tag, and decided I didn't need it. :)

TRBenj
02-27-2007, 02:33 PM
Yup, certainly not a cheap ticket item. At least us Ford guys have an option though- theyre the only ticket in town if you want a set of marine performance manifolds.

I was surprised that the ETX's were so expensive. I was curious about them for my dad's boat: $853 each plus shipping. Ouch!

Spike5
02-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I was planning on the new vortec heads already and was hoping to find some exhaust manifolds that dont have the catalist in them.
the ones on now are very rough, what about having someone polish them??????
I looked at the ones from down under and they are really nice but WOW$$$$$$$$
Thanks again for all the help..
This is one of the most helpful sites I have ever used.
SPIKE

TRBenj
02-28-2007, 08:32 AM
You can still get the ETX's in non-cat form, but theyll cost you even more than the Hi-Teks ($1700+). Assuming your stock manifolds are cast iron, Im not sure they can be polished- but it may be worthwhile to port-match them with the heads. If theyre really corroded inside, you would probably stand to improve performance by going with another cast iron set.

One of the big advantages to the Hi-Teks (stainless steel) and ETX (aluminum) is the weight savings. You lose about 80 pounds by making the switch from stock manifolds, in addition to the 25+ horsepower gain.

Jim@BAWS
03-30-2007, 09:28 AM
I have a set of 2006 ETX Mainfolds 190 hours NO SALT

Jim@BAWS (813) 996 2297

$1000 + shipping

Engine Nut
03-30-2007, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the advice.
I was planning on the new vortec heads already and was hoping to find some exhaust manifolds that dont have the catalist in them.
the ones on now are very rough, what about having someone polish them??????
I looked at the ones from down under and they are really nice but WOW$$$$$$$$
Thanks again for all the help..
This is one of the most helpful sites I have ever used.
SPIKE

I am assuming that if you have a 94 Model 275 that it is a TBI fuel injection model. If you switch to Vortec heads you will have to also replace the ECM or have it recalibrated if you can. If it is a MEFI 1 it has to be replaced. If it is a MEFI 2 it can be recalibrated with a Vortec TBI calibration. To tell if you have a MEFI 1 or MEFI 2, take the ECM off the engine and look at the numbers ion the back. A MEFI 1 will have a GM part number of 16159919 or 16159069. A MEFI 2 will have a GM PN of 16201729. If you need a MEFI 2, Indmar has them but they are not inexpensive ... they ave a suggested retail price of $1294.83.

The calibratiom is different for Vortec heads because they flow more air than the pre-vortec heads. The Vortec calibration for the MEFI 2 compensates for this by dding additional fuel to the fuel table. If you run Vortec heads and do not recalibrate, the engine is going to run lean and die!

Engine Nut