PDA

View Full Version : What type of ski should I start my 4 Year old on?

TNH2oSkier
02-27-2007, 11:22 AM
We are debating which type of ski to order for our future skier this summer. Should we try the trainer type combo's that are fixed togather, or the solid ski board skimmer type ski? (not sure what the later is actually called). Thanks for any advice.

corey
02-27-2007, 11:32 AM
How old is the new skier?

I like the H.O. Hot Shot trainers as they have a bar that connects the skis for training. The bar removes when they get more advanced. The platform trainers are good and inexpensive but they are pretty basic in terms of progression beyond simply getting up.

Also check out the 07' Rewind DVD, Wade Cox has a short section on a great way to get kids up on the first try.

east tx skier
02-27-2007, 11:38 AM
We always start them on zip sleds (or ski skimmers if you can't find a zip sled). They can start riding on their knees this way and progress to standing up. We did this with my 6 year old niece and she transitioned to trainer skis quickly (I think she got up on her fourth try and skied all the way around the lake).

Unfortunately, these things can be difficult to find at times. It's taken me four years to find a zip sled. The skimmers are on ebay, but tend to go for upwards of $100 and don't appear to be something you can kneel on.

We've used the H.O. trainers with good success. Make sure someone in the boat is holding the rope rather than attaching it to the bar. Kids sometimes forget to let go when they fall.

OhioProstar
02-27-2007, 12:11 PM
We have had good luck teaching all ages as young as 5 with the trainers that are tied together and using a barefoot boom. Then we move them back to the ski eye with someone holding the rope. I have found that most skiers ditch the bar that connects the skies together in short order as the bar doesn't allow the skier to take bumps very well.

dapicatti
02-27-2007, 11:06 PM
We had great luck with the HO Hot Shots, especially because you can hold the handle in the boat. We found that it allowed us to help the skier stay up longer.

MarkP
02-28-2007, 12:13 AM
Put a pair of skis on that kid and lower the boom,

To about chest high.

TNH2oSkier
02-28-2007, 08:46 AM
Well after the comments, I will find her a set of skis. I will be lowering the boom, that is if I remeber how to put it back on. Thanks for the info, spring cant get here early enough.

BeavenX5
03-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Hi, my kids started behind the boat (not my MC at the time) using a custom made sled: look at this thread for how to build:How to build sled (http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=7299)
After a few runs behind the sled at less than 10MPH (sometime behind the small row boat at its 4hp envinrude) they moved up to HO excel combos with the plastic bar between the skis:HO Excel combo (http://www.hosports.com/gear/product?id=9071)
Two other little tricks: We had a rope with a handle at both ends that we would hold ourselves in the boat. This was just in case they would not let go of the rope when they fall.
Second trick is we installed extra weights in the back of the combo skis to have the rear sink. The kids at this age has a rough time sinking the skis to get in start position. First few times, we duct taped some containers filled with sand and then we bought the weight from HO that goes over the top of the fin insert.
If you have access to a barefoot boom, it is the best way to start them.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.