PDA

View Full Version : X2 2004 Leak at Log gland Australia

Colin Payne
02-27-2007, 08:05 AM
Dear Team,
My name is Colin Payne. We live in South Australia. I recently purchased our first Mastercraft. We love it. I am in need of some maintenance advice. I own a 2004 X2 ( now X1 ), 350 Vortec MCX Motor. Unfortunately It has a bad leak in what I would normally call the log gland. The water is actually running in. The bilge pumps are keeping the boat afloat. Here in Australia knowledge on servicing and repairing these boats is new as there are not many of these boats in our country. I have asked a local marine mechanic to have a look. He services Tig'e and Malibu Boats He told me he rang a man in Sydney Australia who imports Mastercraft, and he indicated that the V/ Drive transmission and motor may have to come out. This seems a drastic way to fix what usually is a simple problem to solve on other boats. Would you be able to supply me with a contact phone number of an experienced Mastercraft mechanic in the States or can you suggest what part I would need to fix this problem. The person who I purchased the boat from did ask me if I wanted to hear the boat motor running in his drive way. I declined, but at only 200 hours I am guessing it may have been started before each launch, before putting the boat in the water. I would gladly pay for any advice and parts required to fix this problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
My son competed yesterday in our state under 19 wakeboard competition and came second.
In a fortnights time we go to the nationals. Our boat is a part of our family. I hope you can help.
Your sincerley
Colin Payne

bigmac
02-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Dear Team,
My name is Colin Payne. We live in South Australia. I recently purchased our first Mastercraft. We love it. I am in need of some maintenance advice. I own a 2004 X2 ( now X1 ), 350 Vortec MCX Motor. Unfortunately It has a bad leak in what I would normally call the log gland. The water is actually running in. The bilge pumps are keeping the boat afloat. Here in Australia knowledge on servicing and repairing these boats is new as there are not many of these boats in our country. I have asked a local marine mechanic to have a look. He services Tig'e and Malibu Boats He told me he rang a man in Sydney Australia who imports Mastercraft, and he indicated that the V/ Drive transmission and motor may have to come out. This seems a drastic way to fix what usually is a simple problem to solve on other boats. Would you be able to supply me with a contact phone number of an experienced Mastercraft mechanic in the States or can you suggest what part I would need to fix this problem. The person who I purchased the boat from did ask me if I wanted to hear the boat motor running in his drive way. I declined, but at only 200 hours I am guessing it may have been started before each launch, before putting the boat in the water. I would gladly pay for any advice and parts required to fix this problem. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
My son competed yesterday in our state under 19 wakeboard competition and came second.
In a fortnights time we go to the nationals. Our boat is a part of our family. I hope you can help.
Your sincerley
Colin Payne

Hard to believe that tightening or replacing the packing gland on a MasterCraft is substantially different than on a Tige or Malibu.

You saw this in your owner's manual, right?

MYMC
02-27-2007, 09:10 AM
Dear Team,
Your sincerley
Colin Payne
Call Joe here at 704-525-6660 you need to remove the shaft (does not require removing the engine) this is a dripless seal and it may have melted...seen it before. Call around 9:00 am East coast time US.

EJ OJPROP
02-27-2007, 10:47 AM
The 04' did not run the current dripless seal.

TMCNo1
02-27-2007, 01:42 PM

Then that means, it's just a matter of tightening the stuffing box/shaft log packing nut to decrease the flow of water to a couple drips per minute or less, or if the packing needs replacing this link with help out, http://www.tmcowners.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=159060&postcount=31 The picture diagram shows the procedure for tightening, if your not replacing the packing.

G-man
02-27-2007, 01:58 PM
I wonder if the prop turns the other way since he is in Austrailia?

Oh wait thats something else

MYMC
02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Oops...you're right.

mallees
02-27-2007, 06:33 PM
Hi Colin
I also have an 04 X2 in Australia, I purchased mine new from Matrix Marine in Sth Aust, they used to be the dealer that imported Mastercraft Boats. I have found the guys at Matrix to be fantastic to deal with. They know more about Mastercrafts than anybody else in Australia. Here are some contact details for you. Speak to Neil or John, and I'm sure they will sort you out.

PH: (08) 8350 0422
Fax: (08) 8350 0421
Email: info@matrixmarine.com.au (info@matrixmarine.com.au)

Colin Payne
02-28-2007, 05:00 AM
Thankyou I'll be in touch.
Colin.

Colin Payne
02-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Thanks. I will have a good look myself this weekend.
Colin

Colin Payne
02-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Yes.
Colin

Colin Payne
02-28-2007, 05:05 AM
Thankyou. Very helpfull. Do you know the type of rope to use?
Thanks again.
Colin

Colin Payne
02-28-2007, 05:09 AM
Call Joe here at 704-525-6660 you need to remove the shaft (does not require removing the engine) this is a dripless seal and it may have melted...seen it before. Call around 9:00 am East coast time US.
Joe, I intend looking at the problem myself this wekend to see if the glad is a dripless type. Thankyou. I will let you know.

Colin Payne
02-28-2007, 05:12 AM
I did read this but it seemed strange that the mechanic did not say it was a standard log gland. Thankyou for the advice and photos.
I do appreciate it.
Colin.

TMCNo1
02-28-2007, 10:00 AM
Thankyou. Very helpfull. Do you know the type of rope to use?
Thanks again.
Colin

The replacement packing rope (If needed) is available from a MC dealer or www.skidim.com. Discount Inboard Marine (Skidim) ships worldwide and I imagine anyone else.